Reading Hall of Shame?

162 posts
Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Reading Hall of Shame?

by Hugo Boss » 13 Sep 2009 21:31

Kebe stands out above all, I really do believe that. The guy is fookin' hopeless. Mind you, Rougier wasn't far off it although in fairness, he avoids it for his Oxford heroics. Paul Brayson follows closely behind for me. Absolutely awful "striker".

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 13 Sep 2009 21:31

roberto_11 come on paul Brooker was worse than Oster

I've blanked Brooker out. Doesn't exist to me anymore.

Bill Oddie
Location: By the bamboo bush in the central reservation on the M4

by Bill Oddie » 13 Sep 2009 21:32

Nigel Vaughan, he scored once for us and I remember the crowd bursting out laughing rather than cheering !

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 13 Sep 2009 21:34

winchester_royal
roberto_11 come on paul Brooker was worse than Oster

Superb shout. Brooker was abysmal. Likewise, Jason Bowen.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Sep 2009 21:36

Bill Oddie Nigel Vaughan, he scored once for us and I remember the crowd bursting out laughing rather than cheering !
I got pillioried on here for suggesting Nigel Vaughan as one of our worst ever players on a "perrenial" worst ever player thread. He was a charlie Chaplin figure tho'

roberto_11

by roberto_11 » 13 Sep 2009 21:36

AthleticoSpizz
roberto_11 2003/4 Goater was our top scorer yeah.

Half of these were scored in the first 3 games before Pardew left when the team was playing well. The other half were penalties. Think he top scored with about 12. He was still utter shiet though. Just stood there and expected. No pace. No first touch. No skill. No work rate. No off the ball movement. No passion. No vision or creativity. No nothing.
exactly the same qualities that made him such a success at Man Citeh....12 goals and still in the hall of shame? God help Carl Asaba

Think Asaba got slightly fewer goals in 97/98 but I always thought he was a much better all round player than Goater. Remember he was playing in a much worse team aswell.

Bill Oddie
Location: By the bamboo bush in the central reservation on the M4

by Bill Oddie » 13 Sep 2009 21:38

[quote][/quote]

I thought the poor Nigel was truely shocking. However I was only 12 then and it was a long time ago, but still gets my vote

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 13 Sep 2009 21:41

Michael Meaker
Paul Brooker
Kebe
Brendan Rodgers
George Friel
Mark Whitlock
Irvin Gernon
Brian Bason
Steve Swales
Bas Savage
Hughie Cheetham

Someone suggested Michael Barnes and I thought that was a tad harsh. He looked good when he had Micky Nutton playing alongside him.

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 13 Sep 2009 21:41

roberto_11
AthleticoSpizz
roberto_11 2003/4 Goater was our top scorer yeah.

Half of these were scored in the first 3 games before Pardew left when the team was playing well. The other half were penalties. Think he top scored with about 12. He was still utter shiet though. Just stood there and expected. No pace. No first touch. No skill. No work rate. No off the ball movement. No passion. No vision or creativity. No nothing.
exactly the same qualities that made him such a success at Man Citeh....12 goals and still in the hall of shame? God help Carl Asaba

Think Asaba got slightly fewer goals in 97/98 but I always thought he was a much better all round player than Goater. Remember he was playing in a much worse team aswell.

Agreed. Asaba was a good player in a bad side. The one game we actually played well that year (Sunderland at home) he terrorised them. If he'd have had someone like Matejovsky threading balls through for him to run onto he'd have scored a hatful.

Percy's Rocket

by Percy's Rocket » 13 Sep 2009 21:44

I agree about Swain but Dick Habbin was widely regarded as the worst ever player we had seen from the South Bank and I am not sure I have seen anyone worse since.....and Jon Murray was the laziest.

Far Canal

by Far Canal » 13 Sep 2009 21:45

Royalee Kebe, Rougier, Oster, Keith Jones, Paul Smith, Simon Shepherd, Emerse Fae, Greg Halford, Sam Sodje, Alan Bennett, Michael Duberry, Keith Scott, Paul Brayson, Jimmy Crawford, Elroy Kromheer, Peter Van Der Kwaak, Scott Howie, Stuart Gray, Jim McIntyre, Mass Sarr, Byron Glasgow, Sean Evers, Robert Fleck, Andy Hughes, Ray Houghton, Martyn Booty, Paul Bodin, Michael Meaker, Paul Holsgrove, Neville Roach, Alan Maybury, Peter Grant, Martin Williams, Dean Morgan, Lloyd Owusu, Paul Brooker, Dean Gordon, Michael Dobson, Aaron Brown, John Halls, Bobby Mihaylov, Shaun Goater, Bas Savage.

You really blew it with that one. Peter Grant was class.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Sep 2009 21:48

Percy's Rocket I agree about Swain but Dick Habbin was widely regarded as the worst ever player we had seen from the South Bank and I am not sure I have seen anyone worse since.....and Jon Murray was the laziest.
Richard Habbin? (you are habbin a laugh...circa 1974)

Scored some crackin' goals, and at least two of the opposition teams wanted to sign him, after he had taken them apart..............one of them finally did sign him

There would be plenty in the stockades before him

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 13 Sep 2009 21:52

I recall Dick Habbin being the boo boy for many years. It is the Reading way. Kevin Watson got dogs as well.

clauski

by clauski » 13 Sep 2009 22:33

Harsh on Rougier I think. He could be great on his day and showed some genuine talent. I've never seen that in Kebe - if I had 100 crosses I could set up one of them for a goal and fluff everything else, it doesn't mean he blows hot and cold, it means he flukes a couple or the law of averages kicks in.

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 14 Sep 2009 00:21

roberto_11 Goater[...]
1st choice in my shame team, as he came with such high expectations and a fairly large tranfer fee. Similar story with Ray Houghton.

Houghton - Really? I can't remember particularly high expectations, given that the man was about 35 and clearly close to retirement. Pretty sure we paid nothing for him also. I recall him as providing a little bit of intelligence and fight to a team which were often horrible to watch at that time.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 14 Sep 2009 00:23

Why is it so many see just how bad Kebe is, but Rodgers can't?
Are our players that bad in training that Kebe looks like Christiano Ronaldo?

Probably.

Ryn

by Ryn » 14 Sep 2009 07:56

Maybe it's just where I sit in the East Stand, but the only players I will name are all right wingers :D

Paul Brooker, John Oster, Andy Hughes, Jimmy Kebe all frustrate(d) the hell out of me.

At least Tony Rougier and Lloyd Owusu tried. Barry Hunter is a good shout at the back.

SeniorRoyal

by SeniorRoyal » 14 Sep 2009 09:36

This is a one horse race,Malcolm Swain.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 14 Sep 2009 11:53

Andy Freeman

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 14 Sep 2009 12:36

Deathy Why is it so many see just how bad Kebe is, but Rodgers can't?

Sixteen assists I think it was last season.

Set up half our goals this season (you could even argue that he has set up 3 of the 4)

Tells me the fans can't see properly. He isn't a world beater but he creates goals, and at the moment he seems to be the only one doing that.

162 posts