Arab takeover interest reported on tribalfootball.com

451 posts
ElmParker
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Arab takeover interest reported on tribalfootball.com

by ElmParker » 14 Sep 2009 11:48

SteveRoyal Yet a selected few who have been calling for SJM's head over the past few years are still reacting badly to this?

I’m not sure it’s at all clear that those who wanted SJM out are the same who don’t want him to sell now. That would, as you say, seem odd. More likely is that those who feel strongest (usually negatively) dominate any given debate.

Certainly, I’ve never posted a critical word about SJM on this forum.

SteveRoyal A - Can you think of anyone who would want to buy this club, who has more money than SJM, and who has this Club's interest at heart?

No. What makes you think we need someone with more money? I’m not locked into the ‘must grow bigger, must win more, must be in the Premiership’ mindset. If SJM doesn’t want to stay on, I’ll settle for someone with wants to buy the club, has its best interests at heart and who has less money.

SteveRoyal B - The long term future of this club is "dull and uninspiring" if we don't have an ambitious owner who is willing to fund that ambition, isn't it?

Not at all. Ambition doesn’t equal excitement. As above, your questions seem to presuppose a vision of football that I don’t subscribe to at all.

SteveRoyal If the Arabs take over, and then get us to the Premier League and we steady the ship when we're there, then when/if they do walk out on us, surely we'll be a club that would interest more owners because of our League position?

Maybe, maybe not. Again, what’s wrong with staying in the league we can afford to be in, cutting our cloth accordingly and enjoying what we have?
You do realise, right, that we aren’t ever going to win the Premiership or be in the Champions’ League?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 14 Sep 2009 11:48

Mr Angry Surprised at the quoted price; £80m values Reading on a par with Newcastle!

I was under the impression that SJM wanted to ONLY sell the football club, but retain ownership of the stadium and the hotel; £80M would suggest that his stance may have changed.

Thoughts? Well, change always carries both risk and opportunity, but speaking personally, I wouldn't like my club to go the way of Chelsea and Man City - listening to fans of Man City on 606 over the weekend made we want to physically throw up, and I would loathe our club to engender similar attitudes of arrogance and ugliness that the Man City fans on 606 displayed....

I hope if this happens the new owners give BR the time needed to develop his side and not see it as a short term ego trip for themselves so try and get big names for the sake of it.

Ultimately money may well do the talking but JM has always maintained that the new owner would need to be a safe pair of hands - hopefully he will have done his research and concluded that he / they / whoever he eventually sells to meets that criterion.

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 14 Sep 2009 11:51

You can’t stop time. But you can examine ‘progress’. One of the things I considered might happen when RFC moved from Elm Park to its more business-friendly surroundings was that the possibility of success would increase (borne out to be true) but that as the next generation of fans came in, they would embrace the same mentality you could see in other clubs supporters elsewhere.

I have little time for those of the newer fans who seem to think it’s clever or smart to deride the older fans or those that may not have been brought up in times where football and your local football club appeared to have a much different meaning than it seems to now.

There’s a reason for that, of course. Many of them have not tasted a club, a culture of football, a meaning of the world ‘locality’ and ‘place’ that for many fans, made their association with their club deeply emotional and meaningful. Or, for those with short attention spans or the cretins that use the phrase ‘I’m not reading all that’, something they cared about. At all. In any way.

And what I feared would happen has. In comes a generation of ‘bleaters’ and ‘whiners’ who look with the fixed glazed eye of the junkie at the table of disgusting gluttons who made their own market in conjunction with the whoredom of Sky and others. An absolute shit-house world in relation to the once fantastic sport we had on offer in this country. Cheap, affordable to all, accessible, and played by men, watched by more adult crowds, by ‘real’ people.

Then you see Manchester City, who like Mr. Creosote, expand their belt and move their newly-bloated belly to ‘the table’ to gorge with the others. Another corpulent greed-merchant sidles up to the truffles and the foie-gras feasting. Funded by money nothing to do with Manchester, or the north-west, and with no agenda related to that city other than trading easily on the back of its substantial, and decent support. Possibly, with an agenda of using City as a marketing tool back in the Middle East.

I’m not saying that football should be all about local altruism and the ‘community’. It has to sustain itself. But what is important to the fans that have seen the sport before it became what it is now – a fully-plasticised vehicle for blatant marketing and profit crossed with the pantomime – is that it has roots in its town or city, or its place, its region.

You ‘newbies’ can deride some of us ‘dinosaurs’ all you like. But age-wise, you have grown up in a society where you may have spent most of your formative years in front of a screen, or ‘cuddling’ each other in the street, wearing toddler-style clothing and thinking that ‘branding’ is something integral to sport. Or you have watched much of your games from the floor in bars, looking up at a screen again. Occasionally you will come to games, and ‘participate’, if you can. Waving your arms up and down to Tom Hark, holding up your pieces of plastic, sucking it all up as good consumers.

Then you will spout the ‘racist’ card , if someone dares to say something along the line of ‘I’d rather Reading were relegated than be owned by Arabs’. A semantic jumped upon because that is what has made football, and seemingly England, these days, the anaesthetised and PC-obsessed shell it has become today.

What would be wonderful would be if you could be taken back in time for a week, to a time when the sport ‘belonged’ to us, the fans. Yes, it was occasionally violent, and dirty, and people swore. But it belonged to its towns and cities, and places and regions. Now? Small enclaves these days. Dying out. Soon to be gone. But that meant something, to many people.

The question remains, what on earth do ‘Arabs’ have to do with Reading Football Club? Nothing, in old terms. In the modern, whored-out plate of spineless, anodyne shite this sport has become, fully-marketed and segmented up into its various revenue streams and outlets. Probably, everything.

But don’t pull the race card on older fans who have seen the sport in its other form, and who probably have seen and experienced more ‘racism’ than you’ve ever seen and will do in your bedroom-cossetted, sports-bar punctuated lives.

‘I’m not reading all that!’

Maybe if people had an attention span longer than a flea’s cock these days, you wouldn’t have a ‘customer-base’ prepared to whore its arse to all-comers so we can ‘sit’ at the same table as the other bloaters in the Premiership.

I’ll go a step further. I’d rather not have a club at all if what it was meant to be was some ‘financial-churn’ device for balance sheets. Wherever the owners come from. It’s already plastic enough.

I don’t want Arabs at Reading. Not because I’m a racist. Because they are simply nothing to do with the area or town at all. At least Madejski is and was.

Those that remain will get what they deserve. A whore of a football club that is nothing more than a vehicle for agents and players to exploit and an organisation that has no more feel for a town, an area and its people than Microsoft or Oracle. Faceless, passionless, shite. Still, I can see you all now, sat around the new ‘owners’ as they don the club shirt and baseball cap, shaking hands, nodding and grinning excitedly at your pictures in the Evening Scrote.

Good grief.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 14 Sep 2009 11:58

GET THOSE ARABS IN, AND BE QUICK ABOUT IT JOHN YOU'VE DONE NOTHING FOR THIS CLUB
Last edited by Focher on 14 Sep 2009 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 14 Sep 2009 11:59

ElmParker You do realise, right, that we aren’t ever going to win the Premiership or be in the Champions’ League?

Why not? Most certainly not now, but who knows what will happen in the next 25-50 years? Never write us off.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 14 Sep 2009 12:06

Thaumagurist*
ElmParker You do realise, right, that we aren’t ever going to win the Premiership or be in the Champions’ League?

Why not? Most certainly not now, but who knows what will happen in the next 25-50 years? Never write us off.

The Premiership and Champions League wont be around in 25-30 years Spacey!

It'll be a European/World competition.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 14 Sep 2009 12:09

TBM
Thaumagurist*

The Premiership and Champions League wont be around in 25-30 years Spacey!

It'll be a European/World competition.

You seem quite sure of that. Have you got a time travelling machine?

ElmParker
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ElmParker » 14 Sep 2009 12:10

Thaumagurist*

Apologies, let me clarify. We live in a world of limitless possibilities where, occasionally, even the most bizarre and unlikely things can transpire.

However, Reading winning the Premiership or being in the Champions’ League is so unlikely – such a vanishingly small possibility – that to use it as a guiding principle or a yard-stick by which the club’s progress is measured would be as bizarre and foolish as, say, a Bulgarian choosing who to vote for in a local council election based on which candidate was promising to make Bulgaria richer and more economically successful than China or the US.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 14 Sep 2009 12:20

ElmParker
Thaumagurist*

Apologies, let me clarify. We live in a world of limitless possibilities where, occasionally, even the most bizarre and unlikely things can transpire.

However, Reading winning the Premiership or being in the Champions’ League is so unlikely – such a vanishingly small possibility – that to use it as a guiding principle or a yard-stick by which the club’s progress is measured would be as bizarre and foolish as, say, a Bulgarian choosing who to vote for in a local council election based on which candidate was promising to make Bulgaria richer and more economically successful than China or the US.

50 years ago the idea that China would be a more powerful economic power than the USA would have seemed outlandish.

The concept that we may win a top honour in 50 years seems bizarre though. But 50 years agao who would have forseen Wimbledon in Cup Finals or Reading in the Premier Legaue....

The Reverend

by The Reverend » 14 Sep 2009 12:28

Not all bad news then.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Reading taken over by Arabs

by bigmike » 14 Sep 2009 12:28

Ideal
Tony Le Mesmer nightmare scenario for any self respecting FOOTBALL CLUB.

Would instantly recruit a gang of gloryhunting plastics, see us sign a bunch of overrated moneygrabbing turds, and I for one would go support Exeter instead.

Greed ... well all appart from the go support Exeter part

Dawn

by Dawn » 14 Sep 2009 12:54

Club text:

Chairman Sir John Madejski completely refutes press speculation that the club is close to being sold: "To suggest the club is close to being sold is simply untrue"

Ok so the club might not be close to being sold but he hasn't denied that the Arabs are interested in buying the club.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 14 Sep 2009 12:56

Oh well, that's this morning's brief few hours of excitement over then. Can we go back to slagging off Kebe now?

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

Re: Reading taken over by Arabs

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 14 Sep 2009 12:58

Focher Al Fayed is slightly different seeing as he has been based in England for many years, and his business' are based here.

Plus his son was tickling Di's balloon knot.

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 14 Sep 2009 13:02

ElmParker I want Reading to succeed, but not at any cost. Above all, I’ve never wanted unearned success.

I’m sure there’ll be much talk about ‘taking the club to the next level’. To me though, there’s only one way to do that: get more income by getting more fans in. Everything else is totally contrary to the spirit of football as I know it.

In so far as possible, I want my team rooted in my town, owned by someone with a local (and a club) connection and using only the funds the club can generate through its fans.

Outside billions – whether from oil, bearded ego-maniacs or Russian kleptocrats – are not wanted.

I don’t support my team because they win a lot. If that was all that counted, I’d just switch teams to Chelsea or some other modern entertainment business.

And if competing at this level demands unlimited funds, then I choose not to compete. I would rather Reading got relegated to a division where every club paid (or tried to) pay their way from their income than watch us piss money up a wall to chase a place in the lower reaches of the Premiership.

Football teams are about more than winning. More even than just football. Football teams are local institutions, guarded (not owned) by local custodians, where generations of families go to experience the successes and, yes, the failures of the club; to be entertained (sometimes); and to feel bound together into a larger whole – to feel members of a community with some shared points of reference.

Put money and winning above that and you’ll very quickly find that your team is no long yours.

What he said.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 14 Sep 2009 13:14

Excellent posts from Elm Parker and Ian Herring.

Well done gents.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 14 Sep 2009 13:15

I’m sure there’ll be much talk about ‘taking the club to the next level’. To me though, there’s only one way to do that: get more income by getting more fans in. Everything else is totally contrary to the spirit of football as I know it.

This stadium couldn't fit enough fans in to pay all the clubs bills on it's own. And it's quite obvious that we are not going to get fans in without spending money.

What comes first, The Goose or the Golden Egg.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 14 Sep 2009 13:19

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 14 Sep 2009 13:23

Not 'close' to selling doesn't mean that a bid hasn't been made.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 14 Sep 2009 13:26

ZacNaloen http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1796672,00.html

That's that, everyone can relax.

It's a double bluff.

451 posts