Arab takeover interest reported on tribalfootball.com

451 posts
Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Arab takeover interest reported on tribalfootball.com

by Dirk Gently » 15 Sep 2009 11:07

ZacNaloen
Dirk Gently So what happens when all 20 clubs in the PL have an oil-billionaire behind them? The bottom three clubns will still get relegated ....

It's more just a case that you need more money now in order to compete at the top, although i'm not convinced Madejski doesn't still have sufficient money to support the club.

Indeed - but as more billionaires come in "the top" will go further down the leagues, and the gap between the haves and the have-nots at that point will get ever wider. Until some billionaire realises that for all the money he's pumping in he still can't get into the PL because there are 20+ others doing the same and loses interest...... or one realises that for all the money he's pumping in his club can't get into the CL or win the PL.

At which point, since these people have no affinity or connection with the clubs or their localities, they'll move on without a moment's hesitation.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 15 Sep 2009 11:14

Dirk Gently
ZacNaloen
Dirk Gently So what happens when all 20 clubs in the PL have an oil-billionaire behind them? The bottom three clubns will still get relegated ....

It's more just a case that you need more money now in order to compete at the top, although i'm not convinced Madejski doesn't still have sufficient money to support the club.

Indeed - but as more billionaires come in "the top" will go further down the leagues, and the gap between the haves and the have-nots at that point will get ever wider. Until some billionaire realises that for all the money he's pumping in he still can't get into the PL because there are 20+ others doing the same and loses interest...... or one realises that for all the money he's pumping in his club can't get into the CL or win the PL.

At which point, since these people have no affinity or connection with the clubs or their localities, they'll move on without a moment's hesitation.

Until the point where Pangbourne Football Club are owned by a an oil billionaire and they can't even get out of the Reading and District league.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 15 Sep 2009 12:47

The reason why this will not happen, and the reason why I question the likelihood the entire league being taken over by oil billionaires, is there is not an infinite number of these potential investors.

Most of these investments are made for business reasons (with an eye on return on investment), and when you actually look at it in the cold light of day, the only club in the entire English league structure having money thrown at them is City, and they are a completely different business model to RFC, with 40k+ attendances and genuine aspirations of UCL football in the short term. Neither of those key financial metrics would be available to an investor in RFC.

How many clubs are actually owned by Arab businessmen now? 3? City, Pompey, Notts C.

Hardly Arab Armageddon.

Therefore, it all just smells of classic UK media over reaction, and when you actually look at the facts it all looks a lot like of bullsh1t to me.

However, WR - I will eat my humble pie if I am proved wrong, but I seriously have my doubts.

Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Riseley » 15 Sep 2009 15:06

Royal Rother Excellent posts from Elm Parker and Ian Herring.

Well done gents.
I concur. Are we all in the 40+ age bracket perchance and out of step with modern football ethics/morals?

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 15 Sep 2009 16:15

Riseley

Well done gents.
I concur. Are we all in the 40+ age bracket perchance and out of step with modern football ethics/morals?

I'm 23 and agree with you lot, just glad I spent a few years at EP and got a feel for more traditional football morals.

That being said I'm happy we can watch football in a nice arena like the Mad Stad, without the violence and dangers of stadiums past.

Football is still great to watch at the highest level but being a supporter seems to be a very different experience now.

More to the point it's still too bloody expensive :mad:

Oh and as for the original debate, don't think this will happen tbf

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 15 Sep 2009 16:19

you can be in the old man's gang anytime with an attitude like that Wimb.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 15 Sep 2009 16:47

I know it's reckoned that JM is worth about £300 million, but if that were me and I were his age, and I really loved this town and this football club, I'd think "you can't take it with you" - I'd make sure that my kids had enough money to not have to struggle necessarily, but I'd still want them to make their own way in life and have to work for a living, a few million each behind them would make them comfortable enough. Therefore, I'd think, "you know what, I'll sell off some of my companies, put some money in trust already for the kids, and with some of the other money I'd put it into the club so that I could try and get us back into the Prem and see us trying to compete before I die." Sure he can do what the hell he likes with his money, but like I say, if it were me and I really love this club, I'd be looking to sort out my finances so that I could put more into the club.

zummerset

by zummerset » 15 Sep 2009 16:52

Itsn't that the point RL, JM has done his bit and probably isn't as in love with the club now and wants someone else to take this on. I think he is a bit tired and thinking about a back seat rather than driving forward now and I don't blame him one little bit.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 15 Sep 2009 17:02

Yep - you're right - he doesn't love the club as much as we do, because he was never really a proper fan and that's the problem - we're all long-time fans and he is, first and foremost, a businessman. This club will never be run the way "we" want it to be, unless one of us becomes a multi billionaire and ploughs some money into it!!

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 15 Sep 2009 17:27

Riseley

Well done gents.

Yeah for sure. I'm an old bugger.

zummerset

by zummerset » 15 Sep 2009 17:34

Staying in the past Ian isn't an option and being old isn't an excuse to complain that the world has changed for the worse. Grasp the nettle of change Ian and look forward to an exciting future rather than our past glories.

Splash out man and have another slice of Battenberg for tea!

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 15 Sep 2009 17:42

zummerset Staying in the past Ian isn't an option and being old isn't an excuse to complain that the world has changed for the worse. Grasp the nettle of change Ian and look forward to an exciting future rather than our past glories.

Splash out man and have another slice of Battenberg for tea!

Okay mate. Might as well start somewhere. I think I might push my envelope full of low-hanging fruit from the ideas tree to the cake table.

Only trouble is Zummers - marzipan ain't what it was! 8)

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Reading taken over by Arabs

by leww_rfc » 15 Sep 2009 19:36

Geekins How much was Howard?? :shock:

73m according to wiki :wink:

It Is What It Is

by It Is What It Is » 15 Sep 2009 20:22

When smith saga collapsed = some people moan about Mr M not spending enough moey, and not enough players being brought in.

The Arabs are mentioned = some people say how Mr M' is ok actually and would rather not have lots of money being spent....

Jeeez you can never win :lol:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Sep 2009 20:38

Royal Lady This club will never be run the way "we" want it to be...

Count this particular Royal out of your Royal We! :wink:

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 15 Sep 2009 20:50

If the Cardiff fans tomorrow start doing "The Ayatollah", do we join in :?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Sep 2009 21:08

Royal Lady Yep - you're right - he doesn't love the club as much as we do, because he was never really a proper fan and that's the problem - we're all long-time fans and he is, first and foremost, a businessman. This club will never be run the way "we" want it to be, unless one of us becomes a multi billionaire and ploughs some money into it!!

Speak for yourself, it's already run the way plenty of people want it to be. To pretty good effect on the whole.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 15 Sep 2009 21:11

zummerset Itsn't that the point RL, JM has done his bit and probably isn't as in love with the club now and wants someone else to take this on. I think he is a bit tired and thinking about a back seat rather than driving forward now and I don't blame him one little bit.

The man with the big hair is in his 60s and probably looking forward to retirement - AND GOOD LUCK TO HIM.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 16 Sep 2009 08:46

TOTP

^As useful as any other post on this thread.

specialjon

by specialjon » 16 Sep 2009 10:17

Ryn If the tickets or pies get too expensive, there's too many kids in the stadium, or too many people dancing to Tom Hark, we can all go watch Maidenhead United, surely?

Good plan Ryn, i'm there!

451 posts