Shaun Cummings

223 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Shaun Cummings

by Ian Royal » 17 Sep 2009 12:22

rob the royal
juanpablo as I said when we signed him , MK Dons fans say he was the worst player they have seen at that level for years

utter shite

There was me, basically trying to persuade myself that he was better than I thought he was and you go and burst my bubble!

That's nothing like what I was told by an MK regular.

His complaints were too much showboating and losing the ball. That has not been his problem with us, it's his cautiousness going forward. Remember he's got a few assists for West Brom this season I think... And he put in a very good cross that should have been converted yesterday according to the commentary.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 17 Sep 2009 12:25

Thomas L'Heureux
Maguire How is Mancienne "clutching at straws"? You asked me to name someone "fairly successful". He's been in the England squad. I don't rate him as a player myself but I do consider getting selected for the national team to be "fairly successful", and a more than adequate response to your question.

The point is that Chelsea are a very successful club with great facilities, a broad scouting network, good coaches and are a compelling prospect for any young player who they approach. Cummings is 20 years old and joined Chelsea at the age of 12 (yes, I Googled that bit). That's 8 years in their system yet he treats a football like it might leap up and bite him at any moment.

My observation was merely that I'd have though someone who'd been in their academy for so long would be a bit more comfortable with the object ball at his feet. I'm absolutely certain he'll get better, no worries there, just isn't as good going forward as i'd hoped.

Fair point, well made. I think my own opinion of Mancienne encroached a bit because I think he's a shabby player compared to all the hype, but you're right, he's made a full England squad but in my opinion that was pretty astonishing. That said though, he's gifting Premiership strikers goals at the moment which El-Hadji Diouf can testify, so I guess he's done something right during his young career to be in such a position.

I think Cummings just lacks a bit of bottle at the moment. He seems apprehensive in terms of getting forward, and that could be for a number of reasons. I think the main problem is that he doesn't want to lose possession and then be at fault for conceding a goal because he's so isolated down the right. He got forward a bit more in the first half of yesterday's game, but in the second he was trembling whenever he approached the half-way line.

Hopefully his confidence will improve and he can join in with the more attacking aspects of our play, because whenever he's had the ball he's actually looked ok in my opinion.

Pretty much agree with all of that.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 17 Sep 2009 12:27

Ian Royal
rob the royal
juanpablo as I said when we signed him , MK Dons fans say he was the worst player they have seen at that level for years

utter shite

There was me, basically trying to persuade myself that he was better than I thought he was and you go and burst my bubble!

That's nothing like what I was told by an MK regular.

His complaints were too much showboating and losing the ball. That has not been his problem with us, it's his cautiousness going forward. Remember he's got a few assists for West Brom this season I think... And he put in a very good cross that should have been converted yesterday according to the commentary.

That would explain a lot. Obviously he's just making sure he doesn't make the same mistake he made there.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 17 Sep 2009 12:31

Everyone on here seems they know so much about players and football. But then I suppose that's why you're in football management and the people actually in the game, know nothing.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 17 Sep 2009 12:38

No Fixed Abode Everyone on here seems they know so much about players and football. But then I suppose that's why you're in football management and the people actually in the game, know nothing.

What a pointless post.

You say what you see.

That's why different people have different opinions. Some people think he looks pretty decent, some people think he's not that great, and some people think he's bog.

Same thing with people talking about what formation they prefer.

It's not like football managers (with all their wisdom and expertise) don't ever make mistakes...

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 17 Sep 2009 12:44

FFS - the Boys not even upto speed yet and he's getting slated - !!

For me, based on two appearances, he's got more to offer than Rosey - and as others have mentioned, when he understands exactly whats expected of him (which will only come with games) he'll be good.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 17 Sep 2009 12:46

Tinrib FFS - the Boys not even upto speed yet and he's getting slated - !!

Just commenting on his performances so far, we're not writing him off as an arseclown for all time.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 17 Sep 2009 13:50

How long before the fickle brigade start to boo him ?

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 17 Sep 2009 14:49

Cummings looks nervous when he goes forward, as if he gets so far and then doesn't know what to do or has no options or he's been told to do one thing and finds he can't do it. That said I thought he was better last night than his last game for us. Also, him and Kebe need to get some sort of understanding going. They don't seem to be on each others wavelength - although again, it was better than the last game.

(I sound like I know what I'm talking about now, don't I? LOL!)

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 17 Sep 2009 14:50

Dirk Gently Seol, Oster and Kebe have all received massive abuse for the crime of not being Glen Little - but the worst right-winger we've had in the past two years, Glen Little himself, was absolute rubbish and completely unfit but seemed above criticism.

Well said DG. Blakey only had one good season and that was a spectacular one.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 17 Sep 2009 14:53

Talk of Cummings being nervous reminds me of an excellent discussionI had with Mick Gooding many years ago. One of the topics was Steve Swales and why he never did the biz in the first team. MG said that in training Swales was utter class and quite brilliant. Unfortunately, he did not have the mental strength or confidence to convert what he did on the training pitch onto the main arena.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Sep 2009 14:54

stone the heretic

Ryn

by Ryn » 17 Sep 2009 14:55

Kebe reminds me of Seol. Capable of greatness at times, capable of being utter toilet at others.

If Rodgers can instill some confidence and belief in Kebe and Cummings down that right flank, we will be laughing.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Sep 2009 14:56

i like kebe, but seol was better
if he hadnt been preceded by little, i think he may have done ok here

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 17 Sep 2009 14:58

Terminal Boardom Talk of Cummings being nervous reminds me of an excellent discussionI had with Mick Gooding many years ago. One of the topics was Steve Swales and why he never did the biz in the first team. MG said that in training Swales was utter class and quite brilliant. Unfortunately, he did not have the mental strength or confidence to convert what he did on the training pitch onto the main arena.

Have I got this utterly wrong but this song and Steve Swales are linked in my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_olk-R3KYUc

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 17 Sep 2009 14:58

Reality check needed. Kebe is shit.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 17 Sep 2009 14:59

papereyes
Terminal Boardom Talk of Cummings being nervous reminds me of an excellent discussionI had with Mick Gooding many years ago. One of the topics was Steve Swales and why he never did the biz in the first team. MG said that in training Swales was utter class and quite brilliant. Unfortunately, he did not have the mental strength or confidence to convert what he did on the training pitch onto the main arena.

Have I got this utterly wrong but this song and Steve Swales are linked in my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_olk-R3KYUc

You need to get out more

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 17 Sep 2009 15:00

what a thread :roll:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Sep 2009 15:02

Terminal Boardom Reality check needed. Kebe is mostly shit.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 17 Sep 2009 15:15

Terminal Boardom
Dirk Gently Seol, Oster and Kebe have all received massive abuse for the crime of not being Glen Little - but the worst right-winger we've had in the past two years, Glen Little himself, was absolute rubbish and completely unfit but seemed above criticism.

Well said DG. Blakey only had one good season and that was a spectacular one.

Initial loan spell = ok, nothing special
1st season = very good
2nd season = Best season by a Reading player ever
3rd season = Fit for only half of it but the games he did play he made Premiership full-backs look like complete novices.

Of all the players I've seen over the years (and I saw Friday) he is in my view the best to ever wear the shirt. He was so good that Reading fans seem to take it for granted and expect all our wingers to produce week in week out even though historically its a position where even the best are only at it 1 in 3.

223 posts