Rodgers - let us all get some perspective

123 posts
gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

Re: Rodgers - let us all get some perspective

by gazzer, loyal royal » 21 Sep 2009 13:12

I was there at Elm Park
Dorset-Knob Wouldn't you expect any potential replacement manager, worth his salt, to run the rule over a prospective new employer's assets and apply for and attend an interview with a pedigree, an idea, game plan, solution, strategy and tactics in his hot sticky hand. The man that does that would IMHO be seriously worthy of consideration. Sounds like the Alan Curbishley way!

I haven't seen any evidence that Curbishley ever applied for the job in the summer and what makes you think he will now? Please come back with a better and more realistic alternative or suggestion on who we should have appointed.

we spoke to him, but i'm not sure of the final outcome. think he wanted a lot of money and quite a lot of transfer funds as well

Blue and White Toucan

by Blue and White Toucan » 21 Sep 2009 14:00

In Coppells first 20 games in charge we won 8, drew 4 and lost 8

Rodgers in the first 10 has won 2, Drawn 3 and lost 4.

If we get 7 wins out of the next 10 then happy days!!!! :shock:

Well no more than 4 defeats then!!!

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 21 Sep 2009 14:03

When is the last time a manager came into Reading with such an unsettled squad?

There is no fair way to judge Rodgers against previous managers unless the situation is the same.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Sep 2009 14:07

weybridgewanderer
Dirk Gently As I've asked in another thread - what would people actually like to happen now?

Sacking a manager outside a transfer window would surely cause more disruption and grief than giving them another two months to get things right?

sacking a manager now gives the new bloke an oportunity to see what he has and what he needs prior to the next window

If we wait till january and then get rid we then have to appoint a new man who then needs to assess the squad and decide what he needs all within about 4 weeks

Isn't that basically what BR has done/is doing...assessing his squad and getting the players in he needs/wants... changing the manager would mean we would have to go through the same process again with another bloke, with another style of play and no guarantee it would leave us any better off.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 21 Sep 2009 14:32

Stranded
weybridgewanderer
Dirk Gently As I've asked in another thread - what would people actually like to happen now?

Sacking a manager outside a transfer window would surely cause more disruption and grief than giving them another two months to get things right?

sacking a manager now gives the new bloke an oportunity to see what he has and what he needs prior to the next window

If we wait till january and then get rid we then have to appoint a new man who then needs to assess the squad and decide what he needs all within about 4 weeks

Isn't that basically what BR has done/is doing...assessing his squad and getting the players in he needs/wants... changing the manager would mean we would have to go through the same process again with another bloke, with another style of play and no guarantee it would leave us any better off.

shouldn't he have done that over the summer before the last window closed?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Sep 2009 14:39

Believe it or not, it's easier said than done...esp given the cost cuttings we've had imposed on the club this summer.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 21 Sep 2009 14:40

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 21 Sep 2009 14:48

weybridgewanderer
Stranded
weybridgewanderer sacking a manager now gives the new bloke an oportunity to see what he has and what he needs prior to the next window

shouldn't he have done that over the summer before the last window closed?

5 of his signings have only been here for roughly 3 weeks

Hogmeister Royal

by Hogmeister Royal » 21 Sep 2009 15:37

Blue and White Toucan In Coppells first 20 games in charge we won 8, drew 4 and lost 8

Well, that's a damning indictment of The Special One - his wins, draws and losses don't even add up to the games played. :wink:

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 21 Sep 2009 16:01

Maguire
andrew1957 I was a great supporter of Steve Coppell, but by the end of his time here he was clearly drained and had nothing left to give. The team was in free fall when you look at results after January.

Clearly a great deal of change was needed going forwards and Rodgers promised that. Most of us thought he was the right man for the job.

Frankly his start has been disastrous - but any manager deserves at least half a season. In this division even if the worst happens and we are in the relegation zone at Christmas, there is every chance that a new manager will give us a fighting change of survival - so let us not be hasty.

At Watford Rodgers suffered a similar slow start and ended up being respected by the fans. A couple of wins and everything will look rosier.

On balance if he is given half a seaosn I still thing Rodgers will turn the form round and we will be moving up the table.

It is far too early to panic after just 8 games.

Balanced views and rational thinking have no place of The Team board, my friend.

I loved it on Saturday when half-time saw chants of Brendan Rodgers' Barmy Army and "Brendan, give us a wave" and full-time a chorus of booing, calls for Rodgers' head and so on. If ever Reading fans could be summed up in 45 minutes.

Sorry but this doesn't just sum up Reading fans you know. Remember a few years ago when we played Sheffield Wednesday and were winning 2-0 at half time? Their fans were shouting and abusing the manager and like Saturday with Peterborough they came back to win and they were suddenly the best team and manager ever. Football fans are the most fickle people in the world.

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 21 Sep 2009 16:04

Blue and White Toucan In Coppells first 20 games in charge we won 8, drew 4 and lost 8

Coppell's first 8 league games: 5 wins, 1 draw, 2 defeats
Pardew: 3 wins, 2 draws, 3 defeats
Burns: 1 win, 7 defeats
Bullivant: 1 win, 1 draw, 6 defeats
McGhee: 4 wins, 1 draw, 3 draws

In Coppell's first 23 games (both league and cup) his record was: 10 wins, 4 draws, 9 defeats. To match that Rodgers has to win 8 and draw 1 from his next 13 games.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 21 Sep 2009 16:12

sandman
Maguire
andrew1957 I was a great supporter of Steve Coppell, but by the end of his time here he was clearly drained and had nothing left to give. The team was in free fall when you look at results after January.

Clearly a great deal of change was needed going forwards and Rodgers promised that. Most of us thought he was the right man for the job.

Frankly his start has been disastrous - but any manager deserves at least half a season. In this division even if the worst happens and we are in the relegation zone at Christmas, there is every chance that a new manager will give us a fighting change of survival - so let us not be hasty.

At Watford Rodgers suffered a similar slow start and ended up being respected by the fans. A couple of wins and everything will look rosier.

On balance if he is given half a seaosn I still thing Rodgers will turn the form round and we will be moving up the table.

It is far too early to panic after just 8 games.

Balanced views and rational thinking have no place of The Team board, my friend.

I loved it on Saturday when half-time saw chants of Brendan Rodgers' Barmy Army and "Brendan, give us a wave" and full-time a chorus of booing, calls for Rodgers' head and so on. If ever Reading fans could be summed up in 45 minutes.

Sorry but this doesn't just sum up Reading fans you know. Remember a few years ago when we played Sheffield Wednesday and were winning 2-0 at half time? Their fans were shouting and abusing the manager and like Saturday with Peterborough they came back to win and they were suddenly the best team and manager ever. Football fans are the most fickle people in the world.

I do know, but it's Reading fans I have to listen to week in week out so excuse me if their fickleness irks me more than that of Wednesday fans.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 21 Sep 2009 22:35

I don't want Rodgers to go, I think it will get better. I will be as supportive as I can.

I just don't like all the change, I miss Steve Coppell and I miss players like Doyle, Harps, hell I even miss Rosie.

I will get used to the new players it's just a bit sad that's all.

Of course I want Rodgers to get it right. A bit worried he won't though.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 22 Sep 2009 12:19

If we give Rodgers a chance my prediction for the season is.

First 10 games - a struggle
Second 10 games - gradually get our act together
Third 10 games - start to climb the table
Next 10 games - reach the top 10
End of season - achieve top 10 finish and maybe just maybe sneak a play off spot against all the odds.

We all feel better at the start of the 2010/11 season.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 22 Sep 2009 12:22

I was there at Elm Park McGhee: 4 wins, 1 draw, 3 draws

Eh? 4 draws and no defeats? ;)

But, yes, you've just outlined what I was trying to say in my thread about McGhee, and you've added Pardew's and Coppell's to it too.

What about Branfoot? Evans?

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 22 Sep 2009 12:48

Part of the problem imho is one of heightened expectations due to where we were only a couple of seasons ago, and a difficulty for some posters to realise that getting to that position took a lot of time and effort, with failures mixed into successes, and cannot be replicated overnight. I find it odd that some fans seem incapable of realising that what happened this Summer was always going to happen the moment the final whistle blew at the end of the home P/O semi; we are a transitional team and squad and shoudl be viewed as such.

This was always going to be a difficult season, and whilst the knee jerk reaction of some fans was to be expected, I find it sad that those individuals have neither the wit nor the wisdom to see beyond the immediacy of a Saturday afternoon.

If BR makes it - fantastic; but whoever came in after Coppell was going to have a tough job, so maybe certain fans should cut the guy - and the squad - a bit of slack.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 22 Sep 2009 13:17

To a large extent, the problem is one of motivation. If BR could get the players to treat each match as a cup final, I think we'd be fine.

le LOL

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 22 Sep 2009 13:45

Archie's penalty I don't want Rodgers to go, I think it will get better. I will be as supportive as I can.

I just don't like all the change, I miss Steve Coppell and I miss players like Doyle, Harps, hell I even miss Rosie.

And just when you're thinking (at half time on Saturday) that it might be getting better and it could all end happily ever after, Posh go and spoil it all by banging in three unanswered goals

So it's back to being sad for now :cry:

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 23 Sep 2009 00:42

bcubed
Archie's penalty I don't want Rodgers to go, I think it will get better. I will be as supportive as I can.

And just when you're thinking (at half time on Saturday) that it might be getting better and it could all end happily ever after, Posh go and spoil it all by banging in three unanswered goals

So it's back to being sad for now :cry:

Thou speakest the truth brother...

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 23 Sep 2009 09:43

RFC fans are just a bunch of hypocrites. For the last couple of years we have critiscised chairmans for being ridiculously impatient having appointed new managers, and labelled the very actions that most are proposing now, ridiculous.

We haven't even got into October FFS, we have completely changed the 'identity' of the club, and yet the forum idiots are already branding Rodgers a failure.

It's times like these when I'm honestly ashamed to be a football fan.

123 posts