Please lose more games Brendan

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Please lose more games Brendan

by Millsy » 21 Sep 2009 11:55

You'll be forgiven for thinking this is an anti-BR thread coming from me but it's not. It will be controversial though.

I for one am very happy with what BR is doing. I'm quite impressed actually.

Why?

Because he has the balls to try different players, different formations, different tactics. He is CLEARLY trying to experiment with as much as he can so he GETS IT RIGHT.

What would people rather? He arbitrarily decides who the good and bad players after just 5 mins of being here and puts them into a rigid formation every week and never really gets it right?

Or he takes the opportunity to try different things now?

I'd rather we lose the next 10 games in a row and do badly most of this season and just scrape survival but he LEARNS huge amounts and sets us up for the future than he shuts up shop every time we snatch a lucky lead and end up with a mediocre run of a couple of wins, a lot of draws ( tyring to hold onto them so as not to upset fans) and remain none the wiser about our squad.

BRENDAN - carry on experimenting mate. I'd rather you experiment now, even if it means losses and inevitably bad decisions, than you play it safe for the sake of fans.

BRENDAN RODGERS' BARMY ARMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Please lose more games Brendan

by Thaumagurist* » 21 Sep 2009 11:58

What kind of fan are you if you want your team to lose? :|

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Sep 2009 11:59

You're missing my point.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Sep 2009 12:00

I'm not - I get it. If you're too scared to try things or take a risk then you'll never find success.

It's called long-term thinking, rather than knee-jerk short-termism.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Sep 2009 12:03

I've got no problem with short term pain for long term gain - but at some point the pain has to be seen to be worth it.

At the moment, whilst I can see we are almost there each week seems to throw up a new problem and the only way I can see to beat this is to have a consistancy in selection for a few games so players can truly get to know their roles and adapt accordingly.

Training is no substitute for in game experience.

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 21 Sep 2009 12:03

2WW&1WC in loses plot shocker! :shock:

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 21 Sep 2009 12:09

I thought this was going to be a stupid thread saying that you wanted us to lose more games so Brendan would get the sack but instead a good post. Good to see that there are still Reading fans out there with some perspective and patience.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Sep 2009 12:11

Stranded I've got no problem with short term pain for long term gain - but at some point the pain has to be seen to be worth it.

At the moment, whilst I can see we are almost there each week seems to throw up a new problem and the only way I can see to beat this is to have a consistancy in selection for a few games so players can truly get to know their roles and adapt accordingly.

Training is no substitute for in game experience.

Indeed, and although it hurts at the moment I do think Saturday's pain will be massivley paid back in terms of experience and lessons learned.

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 21 Sep 2009 12:16

No, no, no, its been done before, 1914-18 the Lions, led by Donkeys, to the slaughter!
Sensless, wasteful and as always the suffering was done by the common man. Never again!

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 21 Sep 2009 12:18

I was there at Elm Park I thought this was going to be a stupid thread saying that you wanted us to lose more games so Brendan would get the sack but instead a good post. Good to see that there are still Reading fans out there with some perspective and patience.

Yes, I don't really mind losing if we are showing progress where we will eventually get better and start winning games, but I don't want to lose at all. I would like us to win some games as well in the process of our progress.

2WW&1WC seems to be suggesting that he wants us to lose.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 21 Sep 2009 12:22

Not if you actually read what he's posted

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Sep 2009 12:22

Silver Fox Not if you actually understand what he's posted

Corrected for you.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 21 Sep 2009 12:26

Football is a results business with Brenda chopping and changing the side and formations every game and he can still not get a formula to deliver.

Back to a basic 4-4-2 before it is too late.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 21 Sep 2009 16:38

yet another column in the league table I missed, the "we spent the first half of the season experimenting" column that means we avoid relegation

As far as I am aware the only way to avoid relegation is to finish the season with more points than 3 other teams. To get points you need to win games

that needs to start happening very very soon now

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 21 Sep 2009 16:44

I do reckon that it's still too early to be worrying about relegation, but yes, we do need to get out of the habit of losing very soon.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 21 Sep 2009 16:48

Thaumagurist* I do reckon that it's still too early to be worrying about relegation, but yes, we do need to get out of the habit of losing very soon.

True..but we have some very tough games coming up. Preston, QPR and West Brom away.
We have to beat Watford on Saturday otherwise the table could look a lot worse a month down the line.

yuomi

by yuomi » 21 Sep 2009 16:55

in part i agree with you.
i applaud BR for his courage to experiment, his brave new ideas and radical thinking. where we differ is that i disagree with the manner in which he is doing it.

the pre-season does not just exist to get the squad match fit. it is there for managers to aclimatise to any changes that might have gone on over the summer and to feel out their players for the coming campaign. it is there for experiments and new ideas to be tried and their results tested.

our pre-season was not the most comprehensive, or the most thorough. however it provided BR with ample opportunity to get his head around the squad and where we were weakest. signing rasiak and jobi smacked of last minute desperation, and his tinkerman antics through the first 8 games of the campaign are doing little more than airing our filthy laundry in public. whats more, he seems to be sapping the enthusiasm of these supposed youngsters with convoluted ideas leading to displays such as saturday's 2nd half.

ive no problem with experimentation if its not experimentation for experimentation's sake.

clauski

by clauski » 21 Sep 2009 17:02

Disagree. Why would you want to toy with relegation, even in the sake of experimentation and learning? I understand your sentiments but I would rather that Rodgers doesn't lose more games because he's already taken the experience of the games to date in order to learn the right way forward.

(And that's 4-4-2)

bigshaka'away'

by bigshaka'away' » 21 Sep 2009 17:03

What a stupid thing to say...

No its not OK losing, its not ok to lose and make progress, if you lose 3-2 or 1-o rather thatn 3-0 its still no points and still depressing. There are no excuses for being as bad as we are now, and its not fine to say we are making progress so its ok to lose. Winning breeds confidence and results - now thats progress.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 21 Sep 2009 17:04

I wouldn't mind if he was experimenting but he's clearly clueless. There is a diffrerence and if you're taken in by it, then more fool you tbh.