Pathetic, pathetic, pathetic

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Pathetic, pathetic, pathetic

by Terminal Boardom » 22 Sep 2009 12:55

Rebuilding is one thing as is a brick by brick approach. What we have is a total demolition job with the heart and soul of the club ripped out and thrown away. Yes, I agree. Rebuilding will take time. Question is, how many are prepared to wait and how many bitter pills must be swallowed first?

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 22 Sep 2009 13:22

Terminal Boardom Rebuilding is one thing as is a brick by brick approach. What we have is a total demolition job with the heart and soul of the club ripped out and thrown away. Yes, I agree. Rebuilding will take time. Question is, how many are prepared to wait and how many bitter pills must be swallowed first?

Im still stunned by claims that the clubs had its heart and soul ripped out...

TB can you possible explain how it's been ripped out and thrown away? It's very different to seeing the end of an era forced upon the club by circumstances built up over a couple of years.

As I've posted in the 'evolution v revolution?' thread. Anyone who blames Rodgers/Close season 2009 for the end of this era of success is foolish in the extreme.

How many are prepared to wait? Some not very long and won't go to games. Some will use poor form and a lack of entertaiment as a justifiable reason to save money and time. But then this isn't a 'Reading only' problem. Look at how Bolton's fanbase has tailed off despite constant Premier League footy.

Others however will remain, I'd like to think that some younger fans will gain a vital sense of perspective from these 'bad' times so that they can enjoy our success that bit more.
I know for a fact that despite my youngish age, watching the dross of post Wembley through to 2000/2001 certainly made me appreciate how amazing it was to taste Premiership football.

Bitter pills to be swallowed probably yes. But then again as many have pointed out elsewhere many of our most successful managers took time to bed in. At this point in 1999 we were 19th in the third tier and within five years we were top of the second tier.

Things can change around FAST. Yes we COULD just as easily slide down in a Bradford/Southampton/Wednesday fashion but I'm still hoping it's the former rather then the later and there are far more positive signs then negative from this group and manager.

Alan Pardew had an awful first few months in charge. We didn't win a league game between October 23rd 1999 and January 29th 2000 - 13 fecking games! :O :|

But we then won 12 of the next 20 games and finished 10th.

Obviously times have changed, our expectations have risen and things like transfer windows etc come into play. The point of this is that anybody with an ounce of patience and a memory of the last 15-20 years realises that this could well be a blip and blips can turn around in one game.

If football was one big parade of success it would get fooking dull anyway. ;)

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 22 Sep 2009 13:29

Ideal
Wimb anybody with an ounce of patience and a memory of the last 15-20 years realises that this could well be a blip and blips can turn around in one game.

No, anyone with a hint of recollection recognizes the BURNS/BULLIVANT type form we are delivering at the moment.
This is NOTHING like a blip.
This is a shit manager who delivers shit results, and draws a complete blank tactically when the opponents change things up.
He has brought nothing but a promise to phone Mourinho anytime he needs help.

Did you even bother to read my post? The content it contained, you know stuff like we went 13 games without a win under Pardew? you remember him right, he led us to a playoff final, a promotion and then playoffs in Division 1. Or did you only turn up when Uncle Steve rode on the bus through the town centre :roll:

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 22 Sep 2009 13:32

Ideal
Basingstoke Royal We are playing far better.....
I'm enjoying watching Reading much more this season....
Rodgers is the best man for the job...

I admire your creativity - but you obviously have the memory of a potato or are new to Reading FC?

Do you remember the depressing shite we had to put up with from January to the end of last season?

We really did look poor and the players didnt seem to care - and it was painful to watch.

We won four times in the last 19 games of last season. (which is why we find ourselves where we are).

We needed a complete rebuild - some fans accept and understand that - others obviously dont.

At least this season we are getting better game by game, playing the right sort of football and the players are trying.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 22 Sep 2009 13:37

wasn't the premise for Pardews job to get us promoted?

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 22 Sep 2009 13:43

Ideal
Basingstoke Royal we are getting better game by game, playing the right sort of football and the players are trying.

Either you have some incredibly strong RTG's or you are on some incredible drugs.

If anything I feel like the players are not sufficiently trying. At times it looks like they are giving it a moderate stroll around the park, yet when I watched Sheff U v Sheff W the other day it was like VHS stuck on fast forward compared to what we show up with.
How you make that out to be "players are trying more than last season" is just mindboggling.

It doesnt take much to try harder than many of the prima donnas we had here last season.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 22 Sep 2009 13:59

Ideal
ZacNaloen wasn't the premise for Pardews job to get us promoted?

He took over 13-10-99, and before he took over the season had started like this:
Football League One Reading 2-1 Bristol C 07-08-1999
English League Cup Reading 0-0 Peterborough 11-08-1999
Football League One Cambridge Utd 3-1 Reading 14-08-1999
Football League One Reading 1-2 Luton 21-08-1999
English League Cup Peterborough 1-2 Reading 24-08-1999
Football League One Colchester 3-2 Reading 28-08-1999
Football League One Reading 2-2 Preston 01-09-1999
Football League One Bournemouth 3-1 Reading 11-09-1999
English League Cup Bradford 1-1 Reading 14-09-1999
Football League One Reading 1-0 Chesterfield 18-09-1999
English League Cup Reading 2-2 Bradford 22-09-1999
Football League One Reading 1-1 Oldham 25-09-1999
Football League One Wycombe 5-3 Reading 02-10-1999
Football League One Stoke 2-1 Reading 09-10-1999

He took on a fairly poor squad looking set for relegation, as such the premise for his appointment was entirely different.

Brendan Rodgers on the other hand had time to make signings, made the wrong signings, makes irratic team selection, selects shocking tactics, has no answer to the opponent changing things up in the 2nd half, seems tactically naive, doesn't motivate the players, and seemingly is at fault for the things that go wrong due to FAULT OF HIS OWN, very much unlike Pardew who at the time did make the right calls, brought in the right players and got it right.
So the argument has NO bearing on this discussion.

Fact remains - Rodgers is failing due to a series of bungled decisions on his part, wrong transfers, wrong tactics, no motivational skill, no experience.

Looking set for relegation? Remember he was caretaker from September onwards with John Gorman iirc and we were hardly looking 'set for relegation' considering the season previously we had finished reasonably well and at one stage had been on for the playoffs, until Citeh caned us.

Pardew had time for signings as there was no transfer window at the time, hence he was able to add the likes of Butler, Robinson, Whitehead etc.

Rodgers has also had time but was also shackled by Coppell in so much as he couldn't do business until the high earners/want aways were confirmed to be either staying or going. As such BR has only had 3 games with 'HIS' squad so far. As for motivational? I seem to remember after half time on Wednesday we came out and battered Cardiff.

But aside from that how the fook can you say its all his fault? Was he not marking players for Boro's goals? was it Rodgers who let one through his arms against the blades. Was it Rodgers fault Hunt didn't bury his chance in the opening minute against Cardiff? or Kebe score a free header at the death at Boro. Is anyone suggesting he's perfect?

Feck no.

What the sensible majority are saying (and using history to show) is that managers can and DO make mistakes early in their careers with clubs and yet CAN be successful.

I love love love how people such as yourself call people 'bad signings' because of a handful of games, it's right out of the Championship Manager/ I want to be able to say I told you so!!!!111!! handbook of fans.

Honestly if you're SO convinced he's going to be awful. Just shut up till the end of the season. If we're in the drop zone you can come back and gloat as much as you want and I'll happily stand here and say I was wrong and Rodgers needs to go as will most of the 'RTG's or whatever you call patient fans now

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Sep 2009 14:03

Ideal
Basingstoke Royal we are getting better game by game, playing the right sort of football and the players are trying.

Either you have some incredibly strong RTG's or you are on some incredible drugs.

If anything I feel like the players are not sufficiently trying. At times it looks like they are giving it a moderate stroll around the park, yet when I watched Sheff U v Sheff W the other day it was like VHS stuck on fast forward compared to what we show up with.
How you make that out to be "players are trying more than last season" is just mindboggling.

Ideal, just a quick question - how many minutes have you seen Reading play this year. I'm just interested as such forthright views that you hold must come from watching what is being served up. If I'm correct aren't you based in Norway, does the CCC get shown live there, have you come over to games?

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 22 Sep 2009 14:06

Norway?
Sounds horrendous.
I'd hate to live there.
Isn't Abba from there or something.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 22 Sep 2009 14:10

He's not going anyway - but please, carry on Odin.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 22 Sep 2009 14:10

Ideal
Wimb Honestly if you're SO convinced he's going to be awful. Just shut up till the end of the season. If we're in the drop zone you can come back and gloat as much as you want and I'll happily stand here and say I was wrong and Rodgers needs to go as will most of the 'RTG's or whatever you call patient fans now

I refuse to let the likes of you decide whether or not I should post criticism of Brendan "The Clown" Rodgers or not.
The fact is he can do no good for us, he will bring us nothing but misery and horrendous results. Wrong man, wrong place.
He has to go.

Ps. they shot Quisling, you know.

I was getting wound up... now I can just lol :D

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 22 Sep 2009 14:51

Ideal
Wimb Honestly if you're SO convinced he's going to be awful. Just shut up till the end of the season. If we're in the drop zone you can come back and gloat as much as you want and I'll happily stand here and say I was wrong and Rodgers needs to go as will most of the 'RTG's or whatever you call patient fans now

I refuse to let the likes of you decide whether or not I should post criticism of Brendan "The Clown" Rodgers or not.
The fact is he can do no good for us, he will bring us nothing but misery and horrendous results. Wrong man, wrong place.
He has to go.

Ps. they shot Quisling, you know.

The thing is, for a while you had some credibility and were mildly interesing to read - but as time goes on what you post is just a continuous rabid tirade of anti-Brendanism, so it lacks credibility, especially as you don't seem to have any firm evidence to back it up - only your personal opinion and your personal predictions of what you think the future holds.

I think what Wimb was trying to say is that we all well and truly know exactly how you feel about things and you're not presenting us with anything new, just more of the same....

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 22 Sep 2009 15:37

Ideal's just on a lengthy and rather tedious wind-up. Thought that was obvious.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 22 Sep 2009 16:07

"we are getting better game by game, playing the right sort of football and the players are trying"

No we're not (we started well against Florist have got "progressively worse since then) and no they didn't (2nd half Vs PeterB - by their own admission).

(Since when has "the right sort of football" been losing football? It's only been "right" for the opposition.)

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 22 Sep 2009 16:40

Based in Norway - what a w*nker.

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 22 Sep 2009 16:41

Man Friday "we are getting better game by game, playing the right sort of football and the players are trying"

No we're not (we started well against Florist have got "progressively worse since then) and no they didn't (2nd half Vs PeterB - by their own admission).

(Since when has "the right sort of football" been losing football? It's only been "right" for the opposition.)

The winning feeling will return - playing the right way is passing and moving rather the usual hoofball.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 23 Sep 2009 10:42

Basingstoke Royal Based in Norway - what a w*nker.

He's a racist as well remember