Could be worse...

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

Could be worse...

by Wimb » 21 Sep 2009 21:58

13 years ago today...

http://www.royals.org/matdoc/210996.html

Reading 1 - Crystal Palarse 6

Can't claim to have been at that game, can't remember why but was listening to Radio Berks/BBC Thames Valley (whichever it was at the time) and being rather fooked off :D

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Could be worse...

by Terminal Boardom » 21 Sep 2009 22:11

Wimb 13 years ago today...

Can't claim to have been at that game, can't remember why but was listening to Radio Berks/BBC Thames Valley (whichever it was at the time) and being rather fooked off :D

The blame for this result lies squarely with Ark Royal. The game was the day after his 40th birthday party. I vaguely remember lots of beer and jumping out of a moving car. Ark said that Reading never lost on his birthday. Lying bastard! Guess what happened this weekend???

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 21 Sep 2009 22:13

I was there and remember it all too well. Thankfully I wasn't at Peterborough on Sat, but can safely say this was the worst I have seen us play. And yes, that includes Bristol Rovers at home a few seasons later. Utterly, utterly depressing and a stark realisation that perhaps I shouldn't take football so seriously.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 21 Sep 2009 22:38

Wimb 13 years ago today...

A rare home game I missed. I remember playing football in Prospect Park that day, right down opposite Hugh Farringdon at the time and hearing roar after roar. It was loud, even from there. The wind must've been blowing from Elm Park over our way. We all thought we were winning, the noise was so loud. Didnt they have Ray Houghton at the time?

joe999

by joe999 » 23 Sep 2009 02:00

what a day that was

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 23 Sep 2009 09:23

I was there. Apart from the Rovers 0-6 game, the worst defending I've ever seen by a Reading team. Palace weren't even that good which made it even worse.

Classic Southbank action after Trev scored the penalty; "we're gonna win 7-6".

Great pitch invasion at the end which resulted in that cock-end Uri telling us all to calm down and be patient which through a megaphone, as you can imagine, only added fuel to the angst.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 23 Sep 2009 09:25

13 years ago?? I'm reaching that age where every now and again things make me feel old.

Royal_Belly

by Royal_Belly » 23 Sep 2009 09:44

I was there... and for some reason or other I decided to stay until the final whistle
(probably to carry on laughing at Andy Gurney)

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 23 Sep 2009 09:55

Was that match the last time we had a pitch invasion at the final whistle as a protest and not a celebration?

W&E Royal

by W&E Royal » 23 Sep 2009 10:00

Wycombe Royal Was that match the last time we had a pitch invasion at the final whistle as a protest and not a celebration?

Surely we must have protested after one of the many home defeats under Terry Bullivant?

I was there, i went on the pitch at the end, against my sisters wishes as she really liked Jimmy Quinn. People were shouting various names for manager, some Ruud Gullit, some Kenny Dalglish, i was shouting for Morley!!

Also, i don't think Andy Gurney played for us then.

Royal_Belly

by Royal_Belly » 23 Sep 2009 10:02

W&E Royal
Wycombe Royal Was that match the last time we had a pitch invasion at the final whistle as a protest and not a celebration?

Surely we must have protested after one of the many home defeats under Terry Bullivant?

I was there, i went on the pitch at the end, against my sisters wishes as she really liked Jimmy Quinn. People were shouting various names for manager, some Ruud Gullit, some Kenny Dalglish, i was shouting for Morley!!

Also, i don't think Andy Gurney played for us then.

oh - thinking about the game at the Mad Stad - sorry!! I didn't read the whole thread!!!

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 23 Sep 2009 10:18

Yep, certainly the last at Elm Park and other than Pants day there haven't been any at the MS.

Team for that day: Mihaylov, Brown, McPherson, Hunter, Bodin, Holsgrove, Parkinson, Meaker, Gilkes, Quinn, Morley. Subs (all used): Gooding, Lambert, Nogan.

Not the worst team we've ever fielded but Wiggy, Brown, Bodin and Meaker were no Shaka, Williams, Kerr or Taylor (nee Osbourn[e] :wink: )

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 23 Sep 2009 10:29

What's Elm Park? :|

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 23 Sep 2009 10:47

I thought Kenny Brown did a good job for us tbf :D

W&E Royal

by W&E Royal » 23 Sep 2009 11:10

I swear we protested after either losing at home to Port Vale 3-0 or Tranmere 3-1? It was during that run after the Swindon game where we conceded hundreds of goals, by coincidence it was at the same time we got Nick Colgan on loan from Chelsea.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 23 Sep 2009 11:23

Royal_Belly I was there... and for some reason or other I decided to stay until the final whistle

Are you talking about the 0-6 at home to Bristol Rovers or the game at Elm Park against Palace? Because Gurney was a Pardew signing at the Madejski some years later.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 23 Sep 2009 11:26

Nick Shorey my Lord!

Yep, certainly the last at Elm Park and other than Pants day there haven't been any at the MS.

Team for that day: Mihaylov, Brown, McPherson, Hunter, Bodin, Holsgrove, Parkinson, Meaker, Gilkes, Quinn, Morley. Subs (all used): Gooding, Lambert, Nogan.

Not the worst team we've ever fielded but Wiggy, Brown, Bodin and Meaker were no Shaka, Williams, Kerr or Taylor (nee Osbourn[e] :wink: )

Cambridge home 0-0 at te MS

and definitely Port Vale at home at EP 0-3.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 23 Sep 2009 11:47

Deathy
Royal_Belly I was there... and for some reason or other I decided to stay until the final whistle

Are you talking about the 0-6 at home to Bristol Rovers or the game at Elm Park against Palace? Because Gurney was a Pardew signing at the Madejski some years later.

No he wasn't, he was a Burns signing a couple of days before the 6-0 home defeat to Bristol Rovers.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 23 Sep 2009 12:19

handbags_harris
Deathy

No he wasn't, he was a Burns signing a couple of days before the 6-0 home defeat to Bristol Rovers.

Tommy Burns. He bought some utter shite didn't he! Murty being the exception.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 23 Sep 2009 12:25

Deathy
Tommy Burns. He bought some utter shite didn't he! Murty being the exception.

Valid, but he bought Murts as a winger :D

But he did buy Forster (who then got injured) didn't think Brebner was that bad either.