Back from the game - Watford (h)

193 posts
Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from the game - Watford (h)

by Terminal Boardom » 26 Sep 2009 21:26

Ian Royal I understand McAnuff will have been tired, but even knackered he still looked much better than Kebe, Howard and Rasiak.

I thought Siggurdsson found his role today. He's been average when played wide and I simply can't understand the person posting earlier saying he should be kept out there. He's the one player we've got in midfield who has actually got forward and joined the striker in attacks. He's very creative and skillful, but athletic and hard working too. He's got a good shot and he's excellent at set pieces.

Unlike Matejovsky he looks like the complete package to me. Just lacking a little of experience.

Another reason subbing him was idiocy, we then had no one to take our set pieces, as demonstrated by the awful freekick and corner late on, that couldn't have been more accurately passed to a Watford player if the taker had tried to.

The first signs today that I've seen that with a bit more work and some confidence that formation could work. I'd still rather play a 4-4-2 with wide players, if not two genuine wingers. I think someone like Davies could do a job on the right in those circumstances. Then we get to play two of Hunt, Long and Church upfront.

Sig was the only one of our support players who regularly got in front of Rasiak for the flick ons. The one other aspect of play that I noticed was that MacAnuff did come in to the back post area for a cross from the other side. I would also be happier with Hunt and Church up front with Mooney on the bench. If he is not going to give Mooney any sort of a chance then get rid of him.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Sep 2009 21:37

Yep.

I can't see any real option other than playing Hunt if it has to be one upfront. Church is good, but he's not a line leader. Long doesn't have the first touch often enough. I know Hunt is relatively short but he's a damn site better than Rasiak, and at least then we aren't watching high balls punted up for Rasiak to flick on to their keeper/defenders.

Of course I'd like to play two upfront. First signs of Rodgers cracking came today. We ended the match with two conventional wingers and two upfront. Of course he did just make the same mistake as Coppell by having no central midfield to support them with just the defensive Gunnarsson and Karacan on the pitch.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 26 Sep 2009 21:39

Royal Lady "Can't criticise Rodgers....on balance a fair result" - you're joking right?? Of course you can criticise Rodgers - did you not see our complete lack of intelligence on the ball? The manager's job is to show the players who they're marking, what to do at set pieces etc etc. We were woeful for much of the game imo. Still, good old Brendan still managed to take some positives from it, even though he admitted he didn't know his best team yet. :roll:

Why do you know the best team?? :roll:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Sep 2009 21:41

LoyalRoyal22
Royal Lady "Can't criticise Rodgers....on balance a fair result" - you're joking right?? Of course you can criticise Rodgers - did you not see our complete lack of intelligence on the ball? The manager's job is to show the players who they're marking, what to do at set pieces etc etc. We were woeful for much of the game imo. Still, good old Brendan still managed to take some positives from it, even though he admitted he didn't know his best team yet. :roll:

I do. It doesn't envolve Rasiak, or Howard.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 26 Sep 2009 21:42

Ian Royal
LoyalRoyal22

I do. It doesn't envolve Rasiak, or Howard.

:shock: why not Howard? he was class again today......

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Sep 2009 21:45

He was the worst player on the pitch. Gave the ball away left, right and centre made little productive contribution and fell over at the slightest contact hoping for a freekick in the first half, because he knew it was the best chance he had of creating anything.

McAnuff & Siggurdsson continents ahead of him in attacking quality.

Mediocre against P'boro, mediocre against Donny bar a nice chip that hit the bar.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 26 Sep 2009 21:46

Ian Royal He was the worst player on the pitch. Gave the ball away left, right and centre made little productive contribution and fell over at the slightest contact hoping for a freekick in the first half, because he knew it was the best chance he had of creating anything.

Mediocre against P'boro, mediocre against Donny bar a nice chip that hit the bar.

No. He is a forward thinking player, not all of it came off i agree, and you cant judge Mcanuff after one good game. Howard got the ball today tried to play it and move, and tries to get shots off, decent peformance i thought

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 26 Sep 2009 21:47

At least your subs manage to stay on the pitch..mind you Howard is more likely to get a goal than Gunnarsson.

:wink:

You guys were very dangerous...till Rasiak's goal but then seemed to sit back a little bit letting us back into the game until Graham scored (funny thing is I think Rodgers had him lined up to sign whilst he was with us!)

We then seemed happy to take the point and neither goalie were greatly tested.

Not sure but thought we could have had a penalty when Eustace was fouled after hitting the bar?

We had a decent day...did seem quiet from you guys but then our home support isn't exactly vocal either so maybe I shouldn't say too much.

WARNING: McAnuff despite not being that good generally for us did perform well against old sides but maybe the move is what he needed (although not sure what being dragged off at 1-1 when you need a win will do for confidence)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Sep 2009 21:49

LoyalRoyal22
Ian Royal He was the worst player on the pitch. Gave the ball away left, right and centre made little productive contribution and fell over at the slightest contact hoping for a freekick in the first half, because he knew it was the best chance he had of creating anything.

No. He is a forward thinking player, not all of it came off i agree, and you cant judge Mcanuff after one good game. Howard got the ball today tried to play it and move, and tries to get shots off, decent peformance i thought

I can judge McAnuff's performance today though, which is what I was doing. And I can judge Howard on the three of his four performances I have seen, which have been mediocre to piss poor.

I severely doubt you are capable of higher thought after expressing that opinion.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 26 Sep 2009 21:57

Super_horns At least your subs manage to stay on the pitch..mind you Howard is more likely to get a goal than Gunnarsson.

:wink:

You guys were very dangerous...till Rasiak's goal but then seemed to sit back a little bit letting us back into the game until Graham scored (funny thing is I think Rodgers had him lined up to sign whilst he was with us!)

We then seemed happy to take the point and neither goalie were greatly tested.

Not sure but thought we could have had a penalty when Eustace was fouled after hitting the bar?

We had a decent day...did seem quiet from you guys but then our home support isn't exactly vocal either so maybe I shouldn't say too much.

WARNING: McAnuff despite not being that good generally for us did perform well against old sides but maybe the move is what he needed (although not sure what being dragged off at 1-1 when you need a win will do for confidence)

Where was #13? Our vocal support was rubbish today and only came to life after we scored and for a few minutes in the second half. But don't worry chaps, The Thought Police in Fortress MadStad will be rolling out some players, coaching staff and tea ladies to tell anyone who listens how brilliant the supporters are and how much they want to win for us. Also coming next week, Frank Lampard Snr in be talking quantum gravity with Proessor Steven Hawking.

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 26 Sep 2009 21:58

Can't rodgers just oxf*rd off, i've had enough now.
We might as well sell the madejski and move back into elm park.
Bring back mark mcghee! happy days

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 26 Sep 2009 21:58

I would partially agree with Ian and would say that the signing of Howerd has unbalanced the midfield. Siggy was fine playing in behind the front man and floating in the midfield - with Howerd there we now have two floating midfield players which is a luxury we can't sustain with this team. Bodger brought Howerd in despite the fact that our midfield had showed promise after Barnsley with both Siggy and Karacan running hard straight up the middle and playing one touch passes. Howerd at present seems to be a guy who has to get on the ball look up then play a pass which slows the game down and makes forward running from midfield tough.

I would of taken off Howerd first today as quite frankly he stank for much of this game - slow, looks overweight and disinterested - he isn't running midfield and he has not gelled with his team mates (mind you with Bodger's constant chopping and changing it must be difficult for anyone to know what they are doing from game to game).

Ian - I would disagree about Cummings - the guy scares me with his lack of positional sense for a defender - he keeps drifting into midfield and watching the guy he is marking drift in behind him (although he is not bad going forward).

At the moment our game plan is largely based on tactical theory and not on what wins championship games (31 players used to date, 3/4 different formation set ups, mystifying substitutions (Church in the Cardiff game killed our momentum stone dead) which is why our players are losing their way, when the pressure goes on the system fails it is not ingrained and neither can it be when there is so much chopping and changing.

Bodger needs to stop tinkering and settle on a side and use the next 4 games to bed in his tactics as they will all be tough (and we go with low expectations of winning) and prepare for November when the real relegation 6 pointers will start because at the moment this "group" of players are a relegation waiting to happen.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 26 Sep 2009 22:12

Bored out my 'king mind.

Again.

+ Inga and Odea look an excellent CB pairing. McAnuff.
- I am sick to death of watching Kebe in a Reading shirt.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Sep 2009 22:13

I don't think today's line up is the best by some way, and it certainly isn't the best formation. But it's just got to be the same team next game. Even if it means playing turkeys like Howard and Rasiak.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 26 Sep 2009 22:23

mzungu_royal Karacan - 8 - MOTM for me - non stop effort - not good enough, Tabb could more in 5 minutes than he does in the whole game. I've forgotten that he Tabb is part of SSC's kids.

I'm sorry, but what game were you at? You are so wrong, Tabb would not have done more in 5 minutes, even though he's a good player. Karacan puts his all into all his performances.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 26 Sep 2009 23:44

Two poor teams, dire game, the most pathetic aspect of which was the delirious reaction of Watford fans at the end in celebrating a draw with our relegations candidates.

royal_ross

by royal_ross » 27 Sep 2009 00:08

Why did Brendan not clap the stadium like he does every game? If he wasn't bothered by the Watford fans reactions to him, he should have done what he always did

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 27 Sep 2009 00:40

Big yourselves up:

O'Dea - just too good for us
Ivar - good to see you back
Snoop - best game so far, promising signs
Rasiak - much better than his woeful showing against Peterborough. Won a fair bit in the air, scored, led the line much better although there's still a lot to come
McAnuff - yeah alright for a bit but obviously got knackered and had to go off
Karacan - best player in a Reading shirt.

Hang your head:

Sigurdsson - dogshit. Physically weak and I called his substitution at half-time. He just can't play 90 mins every week - looked shagged at Peterborough and couldn't get in the game today
Kebe - now, I know you're a genius but you fcking gave up in that second half and that's not good enough. Bottle job.

Overall - poor game between two poor sides. O'Dea and Federici got themselves in a right mess fpor the goal - can't believe Fed didnt' get off his line for a ball that travelled such a long way and O'D let go over him. We started well but looked disjointed and slowly got worse. LOL@RObson-Kanu's set-piece delivery. Not sure what the beef is with the substitutions - Sig was having a shocker and was clearly goign to be dragged off. Bryn came on to shore up the midfield which was okay as we still had Howard to go forward. When Hunt came on for the tired McAnuff we need a left-winger so Howard came off for HRK. 4-4-2 with Kebe and HRK wingers, two up front. Why are they such terrible subs?

One moan though - WHY DID YOU DROP MAGIC? Build your fcking team round him, he's better than the lot of them.

clauski

by clauski » 27 Sep 2009 00:46

Just read Rodgers' comments on the official site and it turns out it was our over-confidence that cost us! Clearly that's what 1 win in 9 does for you :roll:
Last edited by clauski on 28 Sep 2009 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 27 Sep 2009 00:55

floyd__streete Two poor teams, dire game, the most pathetic aspect of which was the delirious reaction of Watford fans at the end in celebrating a draw with our relegations candidates.

Only because it was Rodgers...and none of your fans reacted.

Sure our fans would've stopped PDQ if somebody had!

193 posts