Don't expect too much of Ingimarsson

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

Don't expect too much of Ingimarsson

by facaldaqui » 27 Sep 2009 13:13

I'm elated to have Ingimarsson back--he reads the game well and his experience will be invaluable--but he is up against it. He's had a long layoff and injuries that may affect his mobility. Also, he had declined as a player before his layoff. He was part of the team that got relegated from the premier, and (this was also after a layoff) had palapably lost some pace in that second season. And he has always made his share of errors with a high bouncing ball. Add to this the high likelihood of his being injured again and we should not pin too much hope on him.

He rose to the level of a talisman last season in his absence, since the team had been achieving results (though not always inspiring confidence) before his injury. So he ended up as the only player whose reputation was undamaged by last season's collapse. But who's to say things would have been different if he'd stayed fit? When Bikey made his long called-for return, for example, it made no difference.

Ginger_Blitz

Re: Don't expect too much of Ingimarsson

by Ginger_Blitz » 27 Sep 2009 13:17

I've been thinking along the same lines but for his leadership qualities alone he needs to be in the team.

CoveRoyal

by CoveRoyal » 27 Sep 2009 13:20

Bikey arguably cost us the play off semis... Ivar would of kept his cool...

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 27 Sep 2009 13:22

I think Burnley were just beteer than us. No defender could have stopped those wonder strikes at the Madejski.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 27 Sep 2009 15:20

Very happy to have him back.

Should provide us with the stability we need and develop a great partnership with O'Dea.

Still we need a defensive midfielder, oh and a striker.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Sep 2009 15:22

We out played Burnley in both games, but couldn't score and stupid errors from the likes of Bikey and Matejovsky cost us the games, although it would have been hard to see how we could win without actually scoring.

Ingimarsson is a good player, but he's shown signs that he's not the force he was over the last couple of years. He is too easily turned, too slow and I've never really been convinced by the quality of his defensive headers.

We do need his steadying presence at the back at the moment, but I've never thought he made a particularly good captain. He certainly shouldn't have allowed us to step so comprehensively off the gas yesterday.

Generally other than O'Dea I'd say our 4 other potential centrebacks are much of a muchness. All have different strengths, but all have their own weaknesses as well.

I'd like to see Cisse getting a lot of heading & Positional emphasis in his training, given the abundance of midfielders we have he's probably better utilised at the back. Especially with O'Dea off in January and Ivar getting on and starting to be a little injury prone.

I think Mills will end up being an important player for us this season, even if he's not in the first team right now.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 27 Sep 2009 15:29

I wish Cisse was a good defensive midfielder as we need that hugely.

Ian I don't know how you can say that Ingi is worse than Pearce!

We seriously need a couple of 'older' players in the squad.

Yesterday the team had four players over 26 - Howard, Rasiak, Mcanuff and Ingi. For me it's crucial that he stays in and brings us stability.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Sep 2009 15:51

Archie's penalty I wish Cisse was a good defensive midfielder as we need that hugely.

Ian I don't know how you can say that Ingi is worse than Pearce!

We seriously need a couple of 'older' players in the squad.

Yesterday the team had four players over 26 - Howard, Rasiak, Mcanuff and Ingi. For me it's crucial that he stays in and brings us stability.

Er.. I didn't.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1