Coppell - Can He Save Us???

222 posts
Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

Re: steve coppell

by Thomas L'Heureux » 28 Sep 2009 12:57

Schards#2 He left because he didn't want the job, or indeed any job, at that time. That's why I caveated my answer the way I did, I wouldn't want the Coppell of the minset of the end of last season back.

If he came back from a six month break refreshed and up for a new challange I would welcome him with open arms. I don't think that's going to happen but if it did, I can't think of anyone with a better track record of getting results on a minimal budget and getting the best out of average players than Coppell. Can You?

And you completely buy that? In reality, Coppell knew what was just over the horizon. He knew that a lot of the players that he brought to the club would need to be offloaded due to their vast wages since winning promotion, and as a result, he walked.

Fair enough, after a few tough seasons the bloke was entitled to a rest, but that was ultimately a handy excuse for not wanting to stick around and watch all of his beloveds getting sold off.

At this moment in time it would be completely wrong for him to come back, motivated or not.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 28 Sep 2009 12:58

Focher Brilliant, i think im gonna take some time tonight and sift through the Anti Coppell comments from the 2nd half of last season, put some names to quotes, and post them on this thread. There would be some very stupid looking posters i can assure you.

Yes im worried we might go down like most, but to want Coppell back after losing all our best players (not Rodgers fault), and building virtually a new team after 9 games is in my opinion totally retarded and a fair reflection of modern day football supporters.
Hi Focher. Don't forget your medication later.

specialjon

by specialjon » 28 Sep 2009 13:02

Focher Yes im worried we might go down like most, but to want Coppell back after losing all our best players (not Rodgers fault), and building virtually a new team after 9 games is in my opinion totally retarded and a fair reflection of modern day football supporters.

Exactly

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 28 Sep 2009 13:04

if rodgers isnt able to pull this round, id have coppell back in an instant if we were relegated- no one better for the task of getting us back up
only if he is fresh and recharged and wants to do it obviously.

but id give rodgers till xmas with this squad, and also see what he does in jan before id think about pushing any kind of panic switch IMO

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 28 Sep 2009 13:08

Focher Brilliant, i think im gonna take some time tonight and sift through the Anti Coppell comments from the 2nd half of last season, put some names to quotes, and post them on this thread. There would be some very stupid looking posters i can assure you.

Yes im worried we might go down like most, but to want Coppell back after losing all our best players (not Rodgers fault), and building virtually a new team after 9 games is in my opinion totally retarded and a fair reflection of modern day football supporters.

Have fun making posters look stupid.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 28 Sep 2009 13:10

jesus ideal i bet you've got a whopping comedy bank stored up there eh! id search a little deeper if i were you :wink:

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 28 Sep 2009 13:11

Really not the man to come back and take us forward.

Would be amazingly short term to sack Rodgers, even more so to bring Coppell back.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 28 Sep 2009 13:11

Royal Lady

Hi Focher. Don't forget your medication later.

2 tablets after food, don't worry ive got a post it note on the back of the toilet door.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 28 Sep 2009 13:15

readingbedding
Have fun making posters look stupid.

How many of us actually need any help in that respect ?

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 28 Sep 2009 13:19

Focher Yes im worried we might go down like most, but to want Coppell back after losing all our best players (not Rodgers fault), and building virtually a new team after 9 games is in my opinion totally retarded and a fair reflection of modern day football supporters.

Well, up to a point. I'm still on Rodgers's side (just), but let's not forget the noises he was making for most of the summer about what a good, strong group he had. Pearce was the new Terry, all we needed was a couple of extra players to complete the new cycle, etc etc. Then after Newcastle it was "we're still in pre-season" and a sudden rush to turn over about half a dozen players whilst elements of the strong group got relegated to the reserves. So actually it is partly Rodgers's fault, albeit at least he tried to rectify matters when he realised he'd misjudged the squad, and his ability to get it up to speed.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 28 Sep 2009 13:22

strap
The Knitting Circle i'd like to see him return in some capacity, maybe replace mr hammond as director of football?

Despite my irrational dislike of the man, and the role he is allegedly carrying out, if he is the man responsible for pulling in nearly £30M (net!) in transfer fees in the last 3 years or so, then really he is a genius. Not ONE of the players sold has gone on to establish themselves with their new clubs, so clearly it was SSC that was responsible for them reaching the heights they did with us, and Squeaky deserves credit for squeezing as much as he has out of the various buyers. I'm not sure any previous RFC had the where-with-all to wheel and deal like that.

With the exception of Doyle, I'd agree with you.

John Peel

by John Peel » 28 Sep 2009 13:22

Schards#2 A motivated Coppell who wants to do the job? - Absolutely Yes.

I think that's the key - and on the basis that Coppell clearly had little motivation left by the end, I say no. The rot at home started under Coppell remember.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 28 Sep 2009 14:03

Thomas L'Heureux
Schards#2 He left because he didn't want the job, or indeed any job, at that time. That's why I caveated my answer the way I did, I wouldn't want the Coppell of the minset of the end of last season back.

If he came back from a six month break refreshed and up for a new challange I would welcome him with open arms. I don't think that's going to happen but if it did, I can't think of anyone with a better track record of getting results on a minimal budget and getting the best out of average players than Coppell. Can You?

And you completely buy that? In reality, Coppell knew what was just over the horizon. He knew that a lot of the players that he brought to the club would need to be offloaded due to their vast wages since winning promotion, and as a result, he walked.

Fair enough, after a few tough seasons the bloke was entitled to a rest, but that was ultimately a handy excuse for not wanting to stick around and watch all of his beloveds getting sold off.

At this moment in time it would be completely wrong for him to come back, motivated or not.

Nail on the head.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 28 Sep 2009 14:15

I wouldn't want Coppell back, just like I didn't want Kitson back last season, nostaLOLgia, move on.

Coppell could never come back and replicate what he did previously. He did the right thing moving on at that time, We just chose the wrong new manager.

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 28 Sep 2009 15:05

I still think Jimmy Melia could do a good job. Anyone with white PVC shoes has to have something about him as a football manager.

(If he is still alive, of course.)

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 28 Sep 2009 15:14

Ian Herring I still think Jimmy Melia could do a good job. Anyone with white PVC shoes has to have something about him as a football manager.

(If he is still alive, of course.)

If you're looking for us to improve tactically, i'm not sure the last point is relevent.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 28 Sep 2009 15:19

As others have said, thanks but no thanks SSC

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Sep 2009 19:19

Schards#2
Thomas L'Heureux
Schards#2 A motivated Coppell who wants to do the job? - Absolutely Yes.

But he doesn't want the job, Schards.

He stuck around last season because he knew he had one crack of the whip to get us back into the top-flight, before all of the big earners would have to be off-loaded. He knew that was the case and, upon failing to take us up for a second time, he was right to call it a day because building a new team from scratch was probably beyond him.

I respect a lot of what you say, but please, get a grip eh? Coppell knew exactly what he was doing when he walked and therefore it seems pretty strange to be wanting him back all of a sudden.

He left because he didn't want the job, or indeed any job, at that time. That's why I caveated my answer the way I did, I wouldn't want the Coppell of the minset of the end of last season back.

Spot on. Whilst I agree it's fairly unlikely I can't think of a manager who would be more likely to return in similar circumstances than Coppell. So it's not an outrageous and impossible suggestion.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 28 Sep 2009 19:21

Ian Royal not yet. Maybe in December

Ditto.

adamh4608

by adamh4608 » 28 Sep 2009 19:47

I think Coppell was very good for reading he made the club a lot of money from his in signing i.e. 29 million and the club would have been in real trouble with out it. And getting the best out of players before the big ego’s come in.
on form he was the best.

222 posts