Brian Howard

142 posts
Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

Re: Brian Howard

by Alan Partridge » 28 Sep 2009 17:46

I thought he did well against Cardiff, not so well Saturday. He's a new player, in a new team and i doubt he's played much in this sort of system in his career. So maybe he shouldhave some lee-way.

What worries me most iis Rodgers complete inconsistancy with selection. Start of the season Cisse played, now nowhere to be seen, same for Shane Long, Marek had 2 games, now not in the squad, Pearce was captain and now not in the squad. Just seems a bit cut throat for use of a better term.

I'd like to see Matejovsky given a run of games, not 1 or 2 but 10 matches in a midfield 5. If he doesn't do it after them then fair enough but technically he's an excellent footballer, and should be in this side. He'd get in to nearly every other team's 11 in this division. Just like Bikey would have done, and now is in the Premiership when we wouldn't play him.

Tabb's another one whose very much on the fringe having not really done too much wrong. I like Karacan think he's got good potential but think I'd prefer to see Tabb in there and as stated Matejovsky probably for Sigurdsson.

When you're struggling a bit, it's time for some big game and experienced players and despite the firesale, we do still have some. I'd get them in, especially with the next 4 games against good Championship opposition.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 28 Sep 2009 17:49

So what you are kind of saying is pick a team and stick with it??

You are Steve Coppell AICMFP

PS it was not too popular in the last couple of seasons.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 28 Sep 2009 17:52

Harpers So Solid Crew So what you are kind of saying is pick a team and stick with it??

If it's getting beat every week like COppell's team went through in the PRem then of course not.

Reading played well for a half on Saturday until Rodgers mucked around with it needlessly in the 2nd half. We've used a ridiculous amount of players already and until you get some sort of consistancy with selection you'll never go anywhere.

Hahnemann
Murty
Shorey
Sonko
Ingimarsson
Little
Convey
Sidwell
Harper
Kitson
Doyle

Picked itself.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 28 Sep 2009 17:55

Fully agree AP, and have pointed out in the past that our most sucessful seasons have been with a tight squad, safe in the knowledge that they have a place in the squad, and that small errors will not result in being dropped, but a fall in fall over a few matches will do.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 28 Sep 2009 17:58

Harpers So Solid Crew Fully agree AP, and have pointed out in the past that our most sucessful seasons have been with a tight squad, safe in the knowledge that they have a place in the squad, and that small errors will not result in being dropped, but a fall in fall over a few matches will do.

The other problem comes when you have a squad like ours where everyone is much of a muchness. Is Tabb better than Karacan? Are they in turn better than Cisse? Is he better than Gunnarsson?

Matejovsky, Davies (another forgotten man),Sigurdsson, Howard.

I like Matejovsky personally, but i take the point that he hasn't done as much as perhaps he should have here. But those players listed above are so similar, no stand out players. I doubt anyone could name 4/5 from that and it be significantly better than the other 4/5.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 28 Sep 2009 18:11

We seem to have too many players to choose from, and rodgers still has no idea which is his best team, if he does not sort it out soon we will find it difficult to claw our way out of the relegation zone.

southsideroyal

by southsideroyal » 28 Sep 2009 18:23

Does Rodgers still have no idea who his best team is or is he so convinced of his own "special"ness that he needs to show off his genius by constantly making changes to the team?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 28 Sep 2009 19:10

I agree with Alan Partridge.
:shock:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Sep 2009 19:10

Huntley & Palmer Personally, I don't see how Sigurdsson is managing to keep our best two attacking options out of their preferred positions on the pitch.

Three assists and a goal. Plus he very very nearly scored against Watford as well.
That's more than half our goals he's played a part in. It'd be pretty mental to drop him for Matejovsky who has possibly never got an assist for Reading.

Howard's gone close from range a couple of times. Other than that, he's really not done a lot.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 28 Sep 2009 20:02

Alan Partridge
Harpers So Solid Crew So what you are kind of saying is pick a team and stick with it??

If it's getting beat every week like COppell's team went through in the PRem then of course not.

Reading played well for a half on Saturday until Rodgers mucked around with it needlessly in the 2nd half. We've used a ridiculous amount of players already and until you get some sort of consistancy with selection you'll never go anywhere.

Hahnemann
Murty
Shorey
Sonko
Ingimarsson
Little
Convey
Sidwell
Harper
Kitson
Doyle

Picked itself.

The difference is that the team you point out there did infact 'pick itself'. There was little in terms of quality competition, and as such it was an easy decision for Coppell to make. The problems started to come for SC when we had 18 or 19 players who were all expecting to start, and as such that consistency and setteldness of the group went.

Rodgers has the same problem. Contrary to what most people think we have a very talented squad at this level, with some outstanding natural talent, but trying to manuvoeure them into a settled 11 whilst keeping everyone happy is a difficult job which I do not envy.

Back on topic, Howard has shown flashes of real quality, and if we get the ball into him in the right areas he'll score plenty of goals from midfield.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 28 Sep 2009 20:25

Ian Royal
Huntley & Palmer Personally, I don't see how Sigurdsson is managing to keep our best two attacking options out of their preferred positions on the pitch.

Three assists and a goal. Plus he very very nearly scored against Watford as well.
That's more than half our goals he's played a part in. It'd be pretty mental to drop him for Matejovsky who has possibly never got an assist for Reading

He was blowing out of his arse against Peterborough and was barely in the game against Watford. He looked knackered. Again, I think he needs a rest.

This doesn't mean I think his set piece delivery is shit or anything like that, he just doesn't looked physically up to it at the moment.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Sep 2009 20:47

Excellent first half against Watford. An assist, nearly scored, but for an inch or so.

I've not noticed him looking knackered.

Pablo

by Pablo » 28 Sep 2009 21:21

Maguire
Ian Royal

That's more than half our goals he's played a part in. It'd be pretty mental to drop him for Matejovsky who has possibly never got an assist for Reading

He was blowing out of his arse against Peterborough and was barely in the game against Watford. He looked knackered. Again, I think he needs a rest.

This doesn't mean I think his set piece delivery is shit or anything like that, he just doesn't looked physically up to it at the moment.

Sigurdsson: 6 games, 3 assists and 1 goal.

Reading have scored 7 goals when Sigurdsson has been playing.
Reading have scored 0 goals when Sigurdsson has not been playing.

Pablo

by Pablo » 28 Sep 2009 21:31

Ian Royal Excellent first half against Watford. An assist, nearly scored, but for an inch or so.

:lol:

Maguire noticed he was blowing out of his arse against Peterborough when he both won a free kick and scored from it and then created another goal for Church.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 28 Sep 2009 21:34

There are plenty of sportsmen and women who look knackered yet perform admirably. Problem is, the voice beyond the cabbage patch can't think of any.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Sep 2009 22:14

Actually put together those two performances where Siggurdsson has aparently looked in need of a rest and you've got 2 assists, 1 goal, and 1 post.

Who's up for chasing him round with a big stick until he looks tired before the Preston game?

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 28 Sep 2009 23:05

The problem with leaving Sigurdsson out, is that our set-piece delivery suffers. Take that out of our game and goals really will be a rarity. Robson-Kanu's delivery was woeful on Saturday, with Howard and Matejovsky not much better.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 29 Sep 2009 09:48

Ian Royal Excellent first half against Watford. An assist, nearly scored, but for an inch or so.

He basically went out and stood on the touchline for the second half against Peterborough, then went and rolled on the floor comically claiming to have been struck in the face. Every ball he attempted to track he was blowing harder than my missus. Against Watford he was chasing the ball all around the midfield, it was being played round him by John Eustace. I have no problem with his delivery or indeed his attacking ability, I do have a problem in someone so young and inexperienced struggling to keep up with play. He needs to be nurtured and much like Alex Pearce, needs a rest for a game to let him gather himself

Adz1871

by Adz1871 » 29 Sep 2009 10:11

Tbh, I think he's been one of the better players over the last few games. Like Marek, He can only be as good as the team. He has got quality. He has got potential. And i for one believe once the team sorts itself out, He'll make the position his own.

Ryn

by Ryn » 29 Sep 2009 10:36

He needs to stay on his bloody feet for a start.

142 posts