Coppell - Can He Save Us???

222 posts
brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Coppell - Can He Save Us???

by brendywendy » 29 Sep 2009 12:32

winchester_royal
brendywendy
winchester_royal Average manager who got lucky with the 05/06 team, and was then thoroughly found out once that team started to break up.

Royals legend, but nothing special.

i respect your right to hold contrary opinions but
oxf*rd off.

you dont get lucky for a 46 game season IMO
and then follow it up by being lucky again for the 40 game season in the top flight next year.

you may say it was the players
but i say that coppells policy of giving them the responsibility for their performances brought that out of them

2 words.......Roy Keane.

Look, I'm not doubting Coppell's achievements during his time here, but in his final two years he was very poor. Not replacing Sidwell was the first mistake, then continuing to play a Oster/Harper/Gunnar/Hunt midfield when it was clearly not anywhere near good enough for the Prem, failing to invest in the squad during Jan 08, failing to arrest the failings of our attack in the second half of that season, once again failing to invest significantly in the squad last season, his never ending loyalty to his favourites, etc...

Not to mention some of the awful management that took place before 05/06, such as his obsession with players such as Newman, Hughes, and Brooker. The signings of Ferdinand, Keown, Goater and Murray. We seem to forget that before the 106 season started a large number of RFC fans were very disillusioneed with SC, and the fact that he struck gold with that team, and that there were hardly wny injuries to his key players, was IMO very lucky.

As I said before, the man will and should always be an RFC legend, but that doesn't make him a great manager, and nor does it mean he'd be a saviour now.

roy keane got 106 points, only lost one home game, and one away game, etc etc etc after spending oxf*rd all now did he?
roy keane gained an 8th place prem finish after spending feck all now did he?
roy keane ended up with a massive transfer surplus and operated within sound financial principles at any of his many clubs now did he?

you talk like we are man u or something, with the resoruces to persue any transfer policy we decide upon
harper, brynn and hunt looked good enough when we were beating liverpool, and in 12th place at xmas etc
and ferdinand/keown/goater and murray were the best we could do within the agreed upon transfer policy/wage structures at the club were signings of class, quality and real winning mentality that could have seen us go up- they ended up being very poor, but then coppell could never see the future- justplan for it the best he could.

the coppell policy that gave players responsibility for their performances resulted in the record braking years
it also resulted in our relegation, but its their fault they had their heads turned and failed to reproduce
and its the fault of us supporting a small club that we couldnt afford to buy our way out of any possible trouble we were in

and we tried to replace sidwell- our first choice targets generally went elsewhere cos they were good players, and we ended up with worse ones.

adamh4608

by adamh4608 » 29 Sep 2009 12:38

roger,s can,t be that good because we have all seen that kebe is s*it for the last couple of season yet rogers still plays him and a 7/10 like tabb we look to get rid of

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 29 Sep 2009 12:44

if tabbs loaned out my positivity will reduce somewhat
granted

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 29 Sep 2009 12:50

winchester_royal
Not to mention some of the awful management that took place before 05/06, such as his obsession with players such as Newman, Hughes, and Brooker. The signings of Ferdinand, Keown, Goater and Murray. We seem to forget that before the 106 season started a large number of RFC fans were very disillusioneed with SC, and the fact that he struck gold with that team, and that there were hardly wny injuries to his key players, was IMO very lucky.

Frankly if you're gonna criticize the man I'd suggest you do some homework otherwise you make yourself look a bit simple.

Don't want him back (certainly not at the moment) but the stick you're giving him is not only factually flawed but in some cases completely daft.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 29 Sep 2009 13:15

SC will always be a RFC legend but it is seldom a good idea to go back. The future is Rodgers.

Ryn

by Ryn » 29 Sep 2009 13:17

Better ask your mum for some proper facts next time Whingester Royal.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 29 Sep 2009 13:29

Vision
winchester_royal

Frankly if you're gonna criticize the man I'd suggest you do some homework otherwise you make yourself look a bit simple.

Don't want him back (certainly not at the moment) but the stick you're giving him is not only factually flawed but in some cases completely daft.

I'm not giving him 'stick' FFS, and if he didn't sign those players then I apologise, but he's not a great manager, he's not brilliant when teams are on the slide, and TBH after the 2nd half of last season I'm suprised anyone wants him back at all.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 29 Sep 2009 13:32

[quote="winchester_royal]he's not a great manager,[/quote]

More fool the LMA for voting him Manager of the Year then. Twice.

Those bumbling idiots. What do they know about what it takes to be a decent manager !! ??

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 29 Sep 2009 13:34

winchester_royal
Vision
winchester_royal

I'm not giving him 'stick' FFS, and if he didn't sign those players then I apologise, but he's not a great manager, he's not brilliant when teams are on the slide, and TBH after the 2nd half of last season I'm suprised anyone wants him back at all.

Of course you're giving him stick which is fair enough, its your opinion and you're entitled to it.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 29 Sep 2009 13:37

Sun Tzu
winchester_royal he's not a great manager,

Those bumbling idiots. What do they know about what it takes to be a decent manager !! ??

He was voted MOTY for our remarkable exploits, but you surely aren't claiming that his management was the key factor in our 106 success??????

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 29 Sep 2009 13:40

winchester_royal
Sun Tzu
winchester_royal he's not a great manager,

He was voted MOTY for our remarkable exploits, but you surely aren't claiming that his management was the key factor in our 106 success??????

He was voted it because his peers considered he produced the best managerial performance for two years running.

But yes, you are clearly right. The 106 season and subsequent season had nothing to do with Coppell, he deserves absolutely no credit :roll: It was all just luck....

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 29 Sep 2009 13:49

Sun Tzu
winchester_royal
Sun Tzu

He was voted it because his peers considered he produced the best managerial performance for two years running.

But yes, you are clearly right. The 106 season and subsequent season had nothing to do with Coppell, he deserves absolutely no credit :roll: It was all just luck....

Absolutely; the same way that luck is the main reason for us being where we are at the present.

Nothing to do with Rodgers favourite game of "Pick any 11 from any number from...how many? Oh its over 23 - far too difficult a number to manage...let's get rid of some, even though I still haven't figured out my best team"

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 29 Sep 2009 14:14

but you surely aren't claiming that his management was the key factor in our 106 success??????

you just sound like a spacktard with shit like this

coppell was totally key-it was his entire management ethos that got the best out of the young hungry team hed built on top or pards' good work, in the same way that he was key in us going down, and also key in us being one game away from going straight back up
now just stop it will you

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 29 Sep 2009 14:36

wolsey
Absolutely; the same way that luck is the main reason for us being where we are at the present.

Nothing to do with Rodgers favourite game of "Pick any 11 from any number from...how many? Oh its over 23 - far too difficult a number to manage...let's get rid of some, even though I still haven't figured out my best team"

There's an element of luck in where we are now, we could be sitting a fair few points further up the table - but of course we aren't !!

Rodger's selections are more consistent than you suggest. It's really only midfield that he's tried the permutations (OK that's a pretty big chunk ), the defence has been pretty consistent and changes have generally been the right ones.

Not sure how consolidating the squad is a bad thing, he's seen the players perform and if he now knows who his core squad are only someone with an inverted sense of logic would demand he keep the players who aren;t up to it / aren;t ready / are surplus involved.

Thou Voice

by Thou Voice » 29 Sep 2009 14:45

Sun Tzu There's an element of luck in where we are now, we could be sitting a fair few points further up the table - but of course we aren't !!

Yes, we are lucky we are not bottom with our joke of a manager.

Bring back Coppell RIGHT NOW.

DO YOU SEE?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 29 Sep 2009 14:57

brendywendy
but you surely aren't claiming that his management was the key factor in our 106 success??????

coppell was totally key-it was his entire management ethos that got the best out of the young hungry team hed built on top or pards' good work, in the same way that he was key in us going down, and also key in us being one game away from going straight back up

I'm not saying he wasn't important, just that he wasn't the KEY factor. The KEY factor was the squad, and the fact that we stayed almost entirely injury free for basically the whole season. If any of the first 11 had got injured, except maybe one of the strikers, for a significant amount of time we'd have got nowhere near 106 points. That season was the culmination of 6 or 7 years hard work from Pardew, Coppell, and most importantly the players.

I'm not trying to shit on his grave so to speak, but to suggest a manager who was easily found out in both the second prem season, and the second half of last season would waltz into the club right now and completely turn around the club is crap, and we all know it. Funnily enough it's mostly the same people who were slagging off for the last two years (looking very much at you Thou Twat) that want him back now. Rodgers' poor start is the best thing that could have happenned to Coppell's reputation, but the sad fact is through poor management in January (paying ridiculous amounts on Kitson, Little and new contracts for Doyle and Hunt) SC left BR with little hope.

Sorry to sound like a 'spacktard' but that's my opinion, and if you're offended by it then I suggest you foe me up.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 29 Sep 2009 15:06

LOL

ok

you think there can only be one key reason

i think a few is more than reasonable

the others you mention are also very reasonable

i withdraw my spacktard with a mumbled apology

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 29 Sep 2009 15:17

Ideal LOL @ winchester_royal

Typical response from you Ideal. Shame you're unable to engage in an adult discussion, despite your superior 'age'.

adamh4608

by adamh4608 » 29 Sep 2009 15:19

winchester_royal
brendywendy

I'm not saying he wasn't important, just that he wasn't the KEY factor. The KEY factor was the squad, and the fact that we stayed almost entirely injury free for basically the whole season. If any of the first 11 had got injured, except maybe one of the strikers, for a significant amount of time we'd have got nowhere near 106 points. That season was the culmination of 6 or 7 years hard work from Pardew, Coppell, and most importantly the players.

I'm not trying to shit on his grave so to speak, but to suggest a manager who was easily found out in both the second prem season, and the second half of last season would waltz into the club right now and completely turn around the club is crap, and we all know it. Funnily enough it's mostly the same people who were slagging off for the last two years (looking very much at you Thou Twat) that want him back now. Rodgers' poor start is the best thing that could have happenned to Coppell's reputation, but the sad fact is through poor management in January (paying ridiculous amounts on Kitson, Little and new contracts for Doyle and Hunt) SC left BR with little hope.

Sorry to sound like a 'spacktard' but that's my opinion, and if you're offended by it then I suggest you foe me up.

ok then if coppell not good enough who is then?. you will not get top name managers come to us? you say that coppell left rodger.s with little hope i dont rember coppell selling all the player, that was the club.so it is the club that have given rodger,s no hope
Last edited by adamh4608 on 29 Sep 2009 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 29 Sep 2009 15:24

adamh4608

ok then if coppell not good enough who is then asd you will not get top name managers come to us?

We don't need a new manager. Infact changing manager right now would be disastrous, and almost certainly result in us going down. My point is that in the state the club is in now (part of which is Coppell's fault) BR is doing as good a job as any. He waqs tasked by revolutionising this football club, and in a league as competitive as the CCC, when in the middle of this revolution you cannot expect to win every game. There are signs now that the squad is starting to settle, and hopefully we will kick on from here.

BR is a good manager, he proved that at Watford, he is held in exceptionally high esteem with alot of very knowledgable people who have more experience in football that you or I could ever hope to gain. He didn't become an 'idiot' overnight, and to suggest that he is incompetent because we've got off to a poor start in ludicrious.

222 posts