Club Financial Statement

231 posts
adamh4608

Re: Club Financial Statement

by adamh4608 » 01 Oct 2009 22:13

Last edited by adamh4608 on 01 Oct 2009 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 01 Oct 2009 22:15

adamh4608 The culb tells us were the money gone but misses player,s sold car park fee sponser off season ticket money and we are ment to beleave it.
they tell you what they wont you to here.

Hard to argue with any of that, adamh4608.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 01 Oct 2009 22:15

Wrong Ian. I would hope whoever came in saw the club as a viable long-term prospect and be around for a decade helping to sustain the club as a Premiership entity and not disappear after five minutes. As others have pointed out the likes of Blackburn, Wigan, Fulham etc are surviving in the Premiership so why can't we.
If we were established in the Premiership we would potentially be able to expand the stadium and build up the fan base which has clearly happened over the past ten years or so.
The club would then become an attractive proposition when the existing owner wanted to move on. What I'm saying is overly simplying matters...I have already admitted that but there is no reason why an affluent large Berkshire town cannot sustain Premiership football any less than small less affluent northern towns like Blackburn and Wigan.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 01 Oct 2009 22:16

Baines
adamh4608 The culb tells us were the money gone but misses player,s sold car park fee sponser off season ticket money and we are ment to beleave it.

Hard to argue with any of that, adamh4608.

Sarcastic git Braines.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 01 Oct 2009 22:18

Baines

Hard to understand any of that, adamh4608.

Corrected for you. :wink:

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 01 Oct 2009 22:18

I'm not suggesting there's anything sinister, but these kinds of partial statements always beg more questions than they answer.

In two seasons we received £54,450,000 from 'central payments'. But spunked £59,370,000 on wages. On the face of it scary. But surely 'central payments' aren't everything. Didn't we sell 18,000 (expensive) season tickets, and fill the ground virtually every league game? Where does that income feature?

Nevertheless, it is clear that the Club took a calculated risk on getting promoted last season. We failed (narrowly) and in the circumstances it is obvious why the cost-cutting had to come.

One thing all this highlights for me is that we need to give Rodgers a damn sight more support and patience than many on HNA have done so far. He seems to have a genuine feeling for the Club and frankly it's hard to see how we could expect more than we have seen so far - some signs of promise and a fragile developing young team.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 01 Oct 2009 22:21

Elm Park Old Boy I'm not suggesting there's anything sinister, but these kinds of partial statements always beg more questions than they answer.

In two seasons we received £54,450,000 from 'central payments'. But spunked £59,370,000 on wages. On the face of it scary. But surely 'central payments' aren't everything. Didn't we sell 18,000 (expensive) season tickets, and fill the ground virtually every league game? Where does that income feature?

Nevertheless, it is clear that the Club took a calculated risk on getting promoted last season. We failed (narrowly) and in the circumstances it is obvious why the cost-cutting had to come.

One thing all this highlights for me is that we need to give Rodgers a damn sight more support and patience than many on HNA have done so far. He seems to have a genuine feeling for the Club and frankly it's hard to see how we could expect more than we have seen so far - some signs of promise and a fragile developing young team.

Yes but he hasn't helped himself talking up the world class model he wanted to create at the precise time a firesale has been on-going. A bit more humility might have helped.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Oct 2009 22:22

PEARCEY Wrong Ian. I would hope whoever came in saw the club as a viable long-term prospect and be around for a decade helping to sustain the club as a Premiership entity and not disappear after five minutes. As others have pointed out the likes of Blackburn, Wigan, Fulham etc are surviving in the Premiership so why can't we.
If we were established in the Premiership we would potentially be able to expand the stadium and build up the fan base which has clearly happened over the past ten years or so.
The club would then become an attractive proposition when the existing owner wanted to move on. What I'm saying is overly simplying matters...I have already admitted that but there is no reason why an affluent large Berkshire town cannot sustain Premiership football any less than small less affluent northern towns like Blackburn and Wigan.

Massively increasing the chance of never seeing the £80m to buy us and the lets call it £20m to get us into the Premier League within the next 3 years? Relegation can happen to teams that spend you know.

None of those football teams have been "given" money to the best of my knowledge.

And why the hell should a football team be "given" money anyway. I'd do a hell of a lot more good with £100m that someone gave me than a football club would.
Last edited by Ian Royal on 01 Oct 2009 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

Alivey

by Alivey » 01 Oct 2009 22:22

we are doomed

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 01 Oct 2009 22:23

As I've said though Ian perhaps our current chairman is asking way too much at £80 million dont you think?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Oct 2009 22:25

PEARCEY As I've said though Ian perhaps our current chairman is asking way too much at £80 million dont you think?

Dunno what the going price is for a financially sound club with lots of assets and big potential.

Alivey

by Alivey » 01 Oct 2009 22:26

madejski said before he would only sell to a billionaire

right now i would settle for the fresh prince of bel air
Last edited by Alivey on 01 Oct 2009 22:26, edited 1 time in total.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 01 Oct 2009 22:26

Ian Royal
PEARCEY As I've said though Ian perhaps our current chairman is asking way too much at £80 million dont you think?

Dunno what the going price is for a financially sound club with lots of assets and big potential.

Yeah but what about Reading? :lol:

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 01 Oct 2009 22:27

Ian Royal

In the first year in the PL I sat down with a gfinacial journalist as an exercise and between us we valued the club at £108M - that was in the PL, but under the previous TV contract.

EDIT - of course, in reality the asking price can be anything - it's what someone is prepared to pay that counts!
Last edited by Dirk Gently on 01 Oct 2009 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Oct 2009 22:28

PEARCEY
Ian Royal

Yeah but what about Reading? :lol:

Have you thought of doing stand up?

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 01 Oct 2009 23:02

Elm Park Old Boy I'm not suggesting there's anything sinister, but these kinds of partial statements always beg more questions than they answer.

Did you not read the bit later on where they said about all the other revenue and the club returning a profit? :roll:

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 01 Oct 2009 23:09

Pearcey It does leave me scratching my head though when I see the likes of Stoke (similar sized club) spending so much more on bringing in players than we ever did.

Stoke are a much bigger club. To suggest otherwise is silly. Population of Stoke in 2001 was 239,000, based on census. Estimated population of Reading in 2008 was 145,000. Wikipedia is my source, but usually pretty good on this sort of thing. You can argue catchment area, but Stoke is 39 mile from Manchester. Reading is 41 from London. Google Maps my source there. Now I ain't saying Stoke is a great place - I am quite a vocal critic of Reading as a place, and would not live there. But I would pick Reading over Stoke every time. I suppose that's how bad Stoke is - I should know I work there. So, Stoke-On-Trent is bigger than Reading and the only clubs competing are Port Vale, Crewe and possibly Wolves. Considering how pride the pottery dwellers are, with a solid "everyone hates us and we don't care", deprived, working class population, it's ripe for your typical football fan. Despite the dire football, the atmosphere is amazing at the Brit. There are more of them, they spend more money on merchandise. They spend more money on beer at the ground, more of them pay to watch the reserves etc.. There are more season ticket holders. To suggest we are a similar sized club is simply not true. They could fill in the corners at the gound and still sell it out. So Stoke's income is greater than ours was in the Premiership.

Pearcey How are Stoke funding all their in-coming players?

http://www.stokecityfc.com/page/companydetails/0,,10310,00.html

bet365 owns an 84% stake in Stoke City Football Club. The Coates family owns 93% of bet365. So the club is bankrolled by bet365. bet365 makes an awful lot of money every week and that is how Stoke can afford to spend the money they do. Stoke as a city and Stoke football club are indebted to that family.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 01 Oct 2009 23:18

you have to remember the role of agents in this etc, not just because they get a cut of all deals which will be included in net transfers, but also that any agent worth his salt would have had a 50% wage increase put into the players contracts as soon as they reached the premier league. End of 2006 season the wage bill automatically goes up 50%. I think it is a FA rule that if a team is relegated, each player must take a 25% mandatory pay cut, but even then Harper, Murty, Doyle where earning 25% on their 2006 contracts, and the majority of them had signed new ones anyway.

When we were doing well in 2006/7, loads of players signed new deals. Harps for example was pushing 20k a week not including bonuses and Sonko was in the top three highest players in the club. I remember Coppell saying that because Sidwell didn't sign his new deal, he was one of the lowest paid players in the squad, although he was on 12-15k a week

For every game a club is on telly in the premiership you get 400k, irrespective if your home or away, and you're guarenteed 10 games i think a season. IN the championship, the home team gets 40k, the away team 10k. That 40k didn't even cover Hunts and Doyle's wages, which was a combined 57.5k a week in the championship not including bonuses. When Doyle scored those back to back hat tricks at home, it cost the club nie on 40k, 5k a goal and 5k an appearance for those two games.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 01 Oct 2009 23:32

gazzer, loyal royal you have to remember the role of agents in this etc, not just because they get a cut of all deals which will be included in net transfers, but also that any agent worth his salt would have had a 50% wage increase put into the players contracts as soon as they reached the premier league. End of 2006 season the wage bill automatically goes up 50%. I think it is a FA rule that if a team is relegated, each player must take a 25% mandatory pay cut, but even then Harper, Murty, Doyle where earning 25% on their 2006 contracts, and the majority of them had signed new ones anyway.

When we were doing well in 2006/7, loads of players signed new deals. Harps for example was pushing 20k a week not including bonuses and Sonko was in the top three highest players in the club. I remember Coppell saying that because Sidwell didn't sign his new deal, he was one of the lowest paid players in the squad, although he was on 12-15k a week

For every game a club is on telly in the premiership you get 400k, irrespective if your home or away, and you're guarenteed 10 games i think a season. IN the championship, the home team gets 40k, the away team 10k. That 40k didn't even cover Hunts and Doyle's wages, which was a combined 57.5k a week in the championship not including bonuses. When Doyle scored those back to back hat tricks at home, it cost the club nie on 40k, 5k a goal and 5k an appearance for those two games.

Too right - it's also a fact that our 8th place finish cost the club more than it was worth in win bonuses; no wonder SC wasn't too keen on us getting into the UEFA cup! :D

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Oct 2009 23:58

Yorkshire Royal Stoke are a much bigger club. To suggest otherwise is silly. Population of Stoke in 2001 was 239,000, based on census. Estimated population of Reading in 2008 was 145,000. Wikipedia is my source, but usually pretty good on this sort of thing.

Interesting that you only quote the borough population for Reading when the Urban sub area comes to 232,662. Touch misleading there.
Last edited by Ian Royal on 02 Oct 2009 00:10, edited 3 times in total.

231 posts