Coppell - Can He Save Us???

222 posts
I was there at Elm Park

Re: Coppell - Can He Save Us???

by I was there at Elm Park » 03 Oct 2009 18:59

He got us into this mess and every game is a damning testimony to the legacy he left us. Coppell is a RFC legend but is in the past and should remain in the past.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 03 Oct 2009 19:01

I was there at Elm Park He got us into this mess and every game is a damning testimony to the legacy he left us. Coppell is a RFC legend but is in the past and should remain in the past.

I'm not sure I understand.

You are saying that Coppell took us to the relgation zone of the Championship?

Interesting thought.

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 03 Oct 2009 19:01

Coppell did not get us into this mess ffs.

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 03 Oct 2009 19:06

Royal With Cheese
I was there at Elm Park He got us into this mess and every game is a damning testimony to the legacy he left us. Coppell is a RFC legend but is in the past and should remain in the past.

Interesting thought.

What I'm saying is that Coppell has got to take some of the blame. It is far too easy to blame everything on Rodgers. I will forever be grateful to Coppell for what he did and will probably remain my favourite manager ever but he left a squad of players who have no rhythm or confidence. Rodgers has made mistakes but give him the players who left over the summer and I think he'd at the very least do as well as Coppell. Maybe my comment was a bit rash and hasty but it's just in response to some of the truly stupid things I keep hearing from Reading fans.

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 03 Oct 2009 19:07

Coppell would not have players like cummings anywhere near the club, he would not waste £2m on mills for certain.

The young players were not good enough when he was here and he looks correct.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 03 Oct 2009 19:10

I was there at Elm Park
Royal With Cheese

Interesting thought.

What I'm saying is that Coppell has got to take some of the blame. It is far too easy to blame everything on Rodgers. I will forever be grateful to Coppell for what he did and will probably remain my favourite manager ever but he left a squad of players who have no rhythm or confidence. Rodgers has made mistakes but give him the players who left over the summer and I think he'd at the very least do as well as Coppell. Maybe my comment was a bit rash and hasty but it's just in response to some of the truly stupid things I keep hearing from Reading fans.

I totally disagree. Under Coppell we ended season 2004/05 without rhythm and confidence and look what happened the following season. Where we are now is nothing to do with Copps at all.

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 03 Oct 2009 19:18

2.8 lita injection Coppell would not have players like cummings anywhere near the club, he would not waste £2m on mills for certain.

The young players were not good enough when he was here and he looks correct.

Cummings problem is that he's got no confidence. He looked good at Peterborough and Preston and I think Mills will turn out to be a good signing but I can't understand why we got O'Dea on loan when we had Mills, Pearce, Cisse and a returning Ingimarsson. No one can deny Rodgers has made mistakes but I really don't think he deserves the level of abuse people are giving him. People want 4-4-2 then moan when he plays it, they hate Kebe then moan when he comes off, they moan when he praises our support, etc.

I'm not happy with the situation we're in and I am worried but the thing that annoys me the most is the fans reaction. I know everyone has a right to different opinions, I know that I was only at 3 games from January to May due to being abroad and so will not be as pissed off as those of you who go every week but I've only missed 3 games this season and I can't believe some of the stuff people come out with. BUT then again as I said everyone sees everything different.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 03 Oct 2009 19:19

I was there at Elm Park What I'm saying is that Coppell has got to take some of the blame. It is far too easy to blame everything on Rodgers.

Blame coppell that we have taken less than a point a game in the first 11 of the new season?

FFS

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 03 Oct 2009 19:24

If Rodgers is as good as he thinks he is we will be ok.

If not - well, we're going to some places that some here haven't been to for some time. It will be interesting to see how many people here at the moment will be bothered to get to.

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 03 Oct 2009 19:32

We used to criticise coppell for his ex players bias, but no BR is doing the same but only knows 2 clubs.........

I really think BR could be a decent manager if he thought outside the box but he is like a teenager in love with girl called chelsea mourinho.

adamh4608

by adamh4608 » 03 Oct 2009 19:33

wolsey If Rodgers is as good as he thinks he is we will be ok.

If not - well, we're going to some places that some here haven't been to for some time. It will be interesting to see how many people here at the moment will be bothered to get to.

RUBBISH WHEN COPPELL LEFT WE HAD A GOOD TEAM. WITH A THE NEW MANAGER AND THE ODD CHANGE WOULD HAVE GONE ON TO THE PREMIERSHIP. BUT NO WE HAD A CLUB WHERE WE HAD TO SELL DUE TO BALLS UPS. MADE BY THE CLUB.
AND A MANAGER BROUGHT IN ON THE CHEP

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 03 Oct 2009 19:35

weybridgewanderer
I was there at Elm Park What I'm saying is that Coppell has got to take some of the blame. It is far too easy to blame everything on Rodgers.

Blame coppell that we have taken less than a point a game in the first 11 of the new season?

FFS

All I was saying is that a lot that is wrong with the team was wrong last season. Rodgers has not done a great job but his comments about Coppell leaving him a good set of players look just like niceties now don't they? In defence of my criticism of Coppell you could say that very few managers leave legacies, just look at Curblishley at Charlton. I still believe that we will stay up and come good but there is a lot wrong at RFC at the moment. People though should remember that Rodgers took over a under performing team with no confidence who then lost their best players.

adamh4608

by adamh4608 » 03 Oct 2009 19:36

weybridgewanderer

FFS

RUBBISH WHEN COPPELL LEFT WE HAD A GOOD TEAM. WITH A NEW MANAGER AND THE ODD CHANGE WOULD HAVE GONE ON TO THE PREMIERSHIP. BUT NO WE HAD A CLUB WHERE WE HAD TO SELL DUE TO BALLS UPS. MADE BY THE CLUB.
AND A MANAGER BROUGHT IN ON THE CHEP

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 03 Oct 2009 19:42

SSC won't make a difference. He couldn't do anything for us - not with the coaching infrastructure that we have in place. We need someone to come in, kick arse and take control. We need someone with the personality of Mad Dog who will get the players to run through brick walls. At the moment they couldn't tackle the Waitrose bag that tracked across the pitch. So Coppell? No. Someone to kick arse and make us mean? Bring it on. Question is, who?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Oct 2009 19:43

I was there at Elm Park
weybridgewanderer

FFS

All I was saying is that a lot that is wrong with the team was wrong last season. Rodgers has not done a great job but his comments about Coppell leaving him a good set of players look just like niceties now don't they? In defence of my criticism of Coppell you could say that very few managers leave legacies, just look at Curblishley at Charlton. I still believe that we will stay up and come good but there is a lot wrong at RFC at the moment. People though should remember that Rodgers took over a under performing team with no confidence who then lost their best players.

Rodgers is trying to play a system we didn't have the players for, and we still don't, despite him signing 7 people. We could conceivable make this work enough to survive, although his experiments with that gash diamond have seen us pick up fewer points than we would have even with his other formation.

It wouldn't have taken many signings to cover the players we lost and get a 4-4-2 with a bit more balance between wings and centre working.

We've been even more handicaped by his tinkering with system and formation early on, and approaching the first few games as training sessions or friendlies. Do that and you're playing catch up for the rest of the season.

His substitutions and lack of tactical awareness has cost us plenty of points. five at least. The man is an idiot way out of his depth.

Alivey

by Alivey » 03 Oct 2009 19:44

Players were leaving whether or not Coppell as the finances have shown that we could not afford their wages another season, there had to be cut backs.

adamh4608

by adamh4608 » 03 Oct 2009 19:45

Terminal Boardom SSC won't make a difference. He couldn't do anything for us - not with the coaching infrastructure that we have in place. We need someone to come in, kick arse and take control. We need someone with the personality of Mad Dog who will get the players to run through brick walls. At the moment they couldn't tackle the Waitrose bag that tracked across the pitch. So Coppell? No. Someone to kick arse and make us mean? Bring it on. Question is, who?

NEIL WARNOCK WOULD FIT THAT BILL

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 03 Oct 2009 19:50

I would not have a problem with Colin. We need some experience behind the scenes. Coaching kids and reserves is one thing. You dont get relegated from those leagues if you finish bottom. This is different and we need some steel. Someone like Souness would also fit the bill.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Oct 2009 19:52

Terminal Boardom I would not have a problem with Colin. We need some experience behind the scenes. Coaching kids and reserves is one thing. You dont get relegated from those leagues if you finish bottom. This is different and we need some steel. Someone like Souness would also fit the bill.

Jesus Christ NO! Not that oxf*rd cock!

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 03 Oct 2009 19:54

Ian Royal
Terminal Boardom I would not have a problem with Colin. We need some experience behind the scenes. Coaching kids and reserves is one thing. You dont get relegated from those leagues if you finish bottom. This is different and we need some steel. Someone like Souness would also fit the bill.

Jesus Christ NO! Not that oxf*rd cock!

Which one? I presume that you are refering to our old friend Colin as I clearly stated that we need
someone LIKE Souness
which is different from saying that I WANT SOUNESS. HTH.

222 posts