Longest Run without Home win?

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Longest Run without Home win?

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 05 Oct 2009 09:29

Any stats on the longest run without a Home win in the league?

We are know 15 games... join last season (9) and this season (6) together it would be 60% + of a season!!
Last edited by The Real Sandhurst Royal on 05 Oct 2009 09:32, edited 1 time in total.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Longest Run without Home win?

by Big Foot » 05 Oct 2009 09:31

Was told over the weekend it's our worst run at home since pre-1920 :|

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 05 Oct 2009 09:37

Big Foot Was told over the weekend it's our worst run at home since pre-1920 :|

I'm pretty sure it's our worst run ever. In fact I think the record previously was only 7 or 8 games.

Derby must have gone longer, what with not winning for 35 games in the premier, and taking a few to get off the mark the following year too.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 05 Oct 2009 09:40

I'm pretty sure it's our worst run ever. In fact I think the record previously was only 7 or 8 games.

Derby must have gone longer, what with not winning for 35 games in the premier, and taking a few to get off the mark the following year too.

Now we're comparing ourselves to Derby 2007-8 - I think I'm going to cry!

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 05 Oct 2009 11:45

from memory, Derby won at home to Newcastle that season. Maybe it was early on (?)

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 05 Oct 2009 11:56

LUX

from memory, Derby won at home to Newcastle that season. Maybe it was early on (?)

it was in September I think.

Sunderland didn't win at home until their final match in 2005/6, so that's 18 games

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 05 Oct 2009 12:01

According to Strap this current run - 14 successive home league games with no win - is our worst by some considerable margin.

Previous worsts were

1954 8 games
1991 8 games

Both records were ended by 1-0 home wins v opposition from South Wales.

Therefore lets not bother going to another home game until Swansea.

No idea what the worst record in the top 4 divisions ever is, but we can't be too far away from that...... anyone any clues?

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 05 Oct 2009 14:29

Strap is correct. We equalled our record by not beating Birmingham City on the final day of the regular season last year. We're now on to 14 league games without a win.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 05 Oct 2009 14:59

handbags_harris Strap is correct. We equalled our record by not beating Birmingham City on the final day of the regular season last year. We're now on to 14 league games without a win.

15 if you count the play-off with Burnley as a "league" game.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Oct 2009 15:27

It pains me to say this, with my overly pro-Coppell and (initially) anti-BR beliefs but it has to be remembered that most of the home form damage was thanks to Coppell.

I get a feeling that Brendan is being blamed for something that actually is partly attributable to him.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 05 Oct 2009 15:29

in that case we can spilt this into 2, based on lack of wins in league games :

1/ run under coppell, 8 games

2/ run under brendan, currently 6 games

So coppell has equalled our worst ever, brendan is 3 quarters of his way to equalling it and two thirds of the way to beating it

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 05 Oct 2009 15:47

handbags_harris Strap is correct. We equalled our record by not beating Birmingham City on the final day of the regular season last year. We're now on to 14 league games without a win.

if you count Burnley you might as well count Burton as well then, so we have won a game.

by 1960 » 05 Oct 2009 16:00

Chaney

if you count Burnley you might as well count Burton as well then, so we have won a game.

Burton was League Cup. Burnley was as part of the Championship, ie the League.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 05 Oct 2009 17:49

A playoff game is NOT part of the league programme of matches. Therefore the record is currently set at 14 league games.

Still be interested to know what the worst record is in all 4 divisions. Presumable a team must have gone a season with 1 home win at some point, what was Derby's run between them beating Newcastle in the Premiership at Price Park and finally winning another game at home about a year later?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Oct 2009 18:30

Barry the bird boggler A playoff game is NOT part of the league programme of matches. Therefore the record is currently set at 14 league games.

Still be interested to know what the worst record is in all 4 divisions. Presumable a team must have gone a season with 1 home win at some point, what was Derby's run between them beating Newcastle in the Premiership at Price Park and finally winning another game at home about a year later?

We've already established Sunderland went 18 games on their last record breaking relegation attempt.

As Derby won part way through the season I doubt they can have worse than that.

EDIT: In fact they equalled it with two loses the following season.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 05 Oct 2009 18:41

Barry the bird boggler According to Strap this current run - 14 successive home league games with no win - is our worst by some considerable margin.

Previous worsts were

1954 8 games
1991 8 games

Both records were ended by 1-0 home wins v opposition from South Wales.

Therefore lets not bother going to another home game until Swansea.

No idea what the worst record in the top 4 divisions ever is, but we can't be too far away from that...... anyone any clues?

That was what somebody was saying in the conversation I overheard in the toilets on Saturday - perhaps that was Strap?

I had to leave those toliets, becuase the person next to me was making a suspicious rhythmic up-and-down hand movement - which nobber could that have been?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Oct 2009 18:45

The list is near endless.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 05 Oct 2009 18:54

Barry the bird boggler A playoff game is NOT part of the league programme of matches. Therefore the record is currently set at 14 league games.

whether you wish to include it or not is up to you, but the point is that the play-offs are a continuation of the league season, so whether they are a "league game" or not is just a matter of opinion.

A cup game, on the other hand, is a completely separate competition, where we played a team two divisions below us.

Damn. Just realised that if you loosen the term to "home games against teams in the same division", the run is 16, with Barnsley making it 10 defeats from 16.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Oct 2009 23:17

weybridgewanderer in that case we can spilt this into 2, based on lack of wins in league games :

1/ run under coppell, 8 games

2/ run under brendan, currently 6 games

So coppell has equalled our worst ever, brendan is 3 quarters of his way to equalling it and two thirds of the way to beating it

Interesting, thanks.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 27 Oct 2009 07:46

15 successive league games now.

played 7 games so far this season in the league (forest, sheffu, doncaster, watford, cardiff, middlesbrough & leicester) and have managed to score 2 goals (not even 1 in 3)

well i just hope those who hate the tom hark music being played are happy, as they have got their wish