Fall on your sword

159 posts
leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Fall on your sword

by leon » 18 Oct 2009 01:42

Royalee Ian, Cardiff's keeper pulled off 3 or 4 top class saves including a one-on-one from Hunt and another which was going right in the corner from Church. We also hit the woodwork at least once to my knowledge.

like the avatar - blaming cummings for our current massive problems. yes its him or kebe. not the prick in charge , no he just picks the team and sends them out with instructions on what to f*cking do.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 18 Oct 2009 09:22

loyalroyal4life i think todger has the next 2 games to fix up if not then he will be gone. definately needs a win against leicester

He's gone then, the leicester game is at home.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 18 Oct 2009 11:49

loyalroyal4life
Focher Im gonna toddle down to Corals in Twyford and put £10 on Curbishley to be our manager by Xmas, Madejski will now realise that the more mature realistic non bullshitting self obsessed fraudster is the type of man he wants mangaging the club.

might do the same do you know what his odds are?

i will come back to you on that one

Madstad to Nadderud

by Madstad to Nadderud » 18 Oct 2009 12:06

Some people in football are cut out to be good coaches and others good managers. BR was, and really is, a Youth Coach. Sorry, but sometimes these things simply don't work out. Kevin Dillon had a brief spell as manager after Pardew and if KD had been installed as manager then I don't think that would have worked either because simply KD is better suited at being a coach and a good one at that. Brian Kid comes to mind as well...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Oct 2009 12:15

Royalee Ian, Cardiff's keeper pulled off 3 or 4 top class saves including a one-on-one from Hunt and another which was going right in the corner from Church. We also hit the woodwork at least once to my knowledge.

Fair enough. So if luck had bounced differently, we'd still have the same points.

Incidently, we'd probably be in a better position with Coppell still in charge. Even at our worst last season we picked up 28 points in 22 games or 1.27pts / game. Under Rodgers we have 10 from 12 or 0.83pts / game. Over the same period that will be 19 points. Over a season it will be 38, which is guaranteed relegation. Quite possibly bottom.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 18 Oct 2009 12:31

We wont be bottom, there is at least one team worse than us.

Percy's Rocket

by Percy's Rocket » 18 Oct 2009 12:32

It really is time to bite this bullet JM. Look at Blackpool for instance. They have a budget far smaller than ours and yet an experienced manager has them fifth. Holloway is not everone's cup of tea but he knows how to get the job done. Rodgers is a novice. Keane, in a different way, is still a novice. They should cut their teeth is divs 1 and 2. Do their time. We need someone who has the experience to put this mess right. Curbs it is then.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Oct 2009 12:44

Harpers So Solid Crew We wont be bottom, there is at least one team worse than us.

And when Keane is sacked will they remain so? I can't see their form continuing like this forever. They are only 4 points behind us. Get a new manager and a couple of wins and they could lift themselves out of it.

working class hero

by working class hero » 18 Oct 2009 14:34

Harpers So Solid Crew We wont be bottom, there is at least one team worse than us.

Nice to be so optimistic.

When we left the PL I think the threads were full of folk saying there were at least 3 teams worse than us [and 1 of them is now in Europe]. Even the two who were worse than us are now above us - one in the PL. The days of Coppell will be seen for the marvel they were over the next few seasons....

by 1960 » 18 Oct 2009 15:48

What I can't see is why everybody is moaning after the games against Boro and WBA. We were just starting to get ourselves sorted, having won at Preston, and then we come up against two teams who were both in the top three when we played them. Of course we lost to them. Why the outrage? In fact if McAnuff had put his volley away when it was 1-0 and/or he hadn't done an outrageous but pathetic backpass we could have gone in at HT at 2-0 up and the game could have been different.

I know we have been struggling, but losing to two good teams doesn't change anything. I fully expect to get stuffed at QPR if Salako's fulsome praise was deserved. But suppose we finally get a home win against Leicester, then scratch a draw at Coventry, then follow on after Leicester and get home wins against Ipswich and Blackpool. Optimistic I know, but just supposing - that would give us 20 points from 17 games and we would be moving in the right direction. It's not likely, but possible and losing to two of the best three in the division doesn't change anything. Hell, we've played Newcastle too, so that's three of them out of the way until the return games.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Oct 2009 15:51

1960 What I can't see is why everybody is moaning after the games against Boro and WBA. We were just starting to get ourselves sorted, having won at Preston, and then we come up against two teams who were both in the top three when we played them. Of course we lost to them. Why the outrage? In fact if McAnuff had put his volley away when it was 1-0 and/or he hadn't done an outrageous but pathetic backpass we could have gone in at HT at 2-0 up and the game could have been different.

I know we have been struggling, but losing to two good teams doesn't change anything. I fully expect to get stuffed at QPR if Salako's fulsome praise was deserved. But suppose we finally get a home win against Leicester, then scratch a draw at Coventry, then follow on after Leicester and get home wins against Ipswich and Blackpool. Optimistic I know, but just supposing - that would give us 20 points from 17 games and we would be moving in the right direction. It's not likely, but possible and losing to two of the best three in the division doesn't change anything. Hell, we've played Newcastle too, so that's three of them out of the way until the return games.

No we weren't, we got a lucky win.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 18 Oct 2009 16:59

1960 What I can't see is why everybody is moaning after the games against Boro and WBA. We were just starting to get ourselves sorted, having won at Preston, and then we come up against two teams who were both in the top three when we played them. Of course we lost to them. Why the outrage? In fact if McAnuff had put his volley away when it was 1-0 and/or he hadn't done an outrageous but pathetic backpass we could have gone in at HT at 2-0 up and the game could have been different.

It's not the fact we are losing that hurts, more the manner in which we are losing. The words spineless and gutless spring to mind.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 18 Oct 2009 17:07

The trouble is when we played Sheff Utd,Cardiff and Middlesboro people said not to worry because they were teams that would be pushing for promotion-they can't all be up there at he end of the season and next up we have another one in QPR.
Perhaps we should be thinking like the lower Prem sides who all say that they have to beat the teams expected to be near relegation.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 18 Oct 2009 17:09

Victor Meldrew

The trouble is when we played Sheff Utd,Cardiff and Middlesboro people said not to worry because they were teams that would be pushing for promotion-they can't all be up there at he end of the season and next up we have another one in QPR.
Perhaps we should be thinking like the lower Prem sides who all say that they have to beat the teams expected to be near relegation.

Like Peterborough and Doncaster................oh :|

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Oct 2009 17:10

The problem there is there are 4 teams expected to challenge in the Prem most seasons, compared to about 16 teams in the Championship expected to challenge at the top.

Big McC

by Big McC » 18 Oct 2009 17:40

Many might see that a call for Rogers to 'fall on his sword' as implying that he is the sole cause of our utterly woeful position and our complete inability to get out of it. Agree, a more experienced manager would surely be able to coax some improvement out of the ragbag team of academy products and other teams' misfits and rejects that we currently have, but surely much of the blame for our current position must lie with the Director of Football. If anyone should fall on his sword it is Hammond. He presumably played a big part in the appointment of Rogers and likewise was instrumental in stripping the team of talent and experience. Ultimately, the board has royally screwed up. Yes, let's have a new and experienced manager, but let's also hope a way can be found to get a new management that knows what it is doing.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 18 Oct 2009 17:50

Big McC Many might see that a call for Rogers to 'fall on his sword' as implying that he is the sole cause of our utterly woeful position and our complete inability to get out of it. Agree, a more experienced manager would surely be able to coax some improvement out of the ragbag team of academy products and other teams' misfits and rejects that we currently have, but surely much of the blame for our current position must lie with the Director of Football. If anyone should fall on his sword it is Hammond. He presumably played a big part in the appointment of Rogers and likewise was instrumental in stripping the team of talent and experience. Ultimately, the board has royally screwed up. Yes, let's have a new and experienced manager, but let's also hope a way can be found to get a new management that knows what it is doing.

Hit the nail on the head.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 18 Oct 2009 18:12

Big McC Ultimately, the board has royally screwed up. Yes, let's have a new and experienced manager, but let's also hope a way can be found to get a new management that knows what it is doing.

As little as Rodgers has done to convince, there's truth in that.

The club's been on autopilot for two and a half years. That's a big reason why when he bought players, they've been panic buys caused by reacting to (inexplicably) unforeseen poor situations.

We shouldn't have gone down two years ago. We shouldn't have stayed down last year. We shouldn't have been in a relegation scrap this season. We don't learn from our mistakes and keep operating on a "oh, we'll probably be alright" basis.

Big McC

by Big McC » 18 Oct 2009 18:20

"
You can't really fault Hammond, sure he got it wrong, but it is easy to see how you can be taken in by the bullshitmeister Rodgers"

OK, won't disagree that Rogers needs to go, but making him the sole scapegoat misses the point. Much of the decimination of the team occurred before Rogers arrived and the determination to do it all on the cheap comes from the board.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 18 Oct 2009 18:24

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Big McC Ultimately, the board has royally screwed up. Yes, let's have a new and experienced manager, but let's also hope a way can be found to get a new management that knows what it is doing.

As little as Rodgers has done to convince, there's truth in that.

The club's been on autopilot for two and a half years. That's a big reason why when he bought players, they've been panic buys caused by reacting to (inexplicably) unforeseen poor situations.

We shouldn't have gone down two years ago. We shouldn't have stayed down last year. We shouldn't have been in a relegation scrap this season. We don't learn from our mistakes and keep operating on a "oh, we'll probably be alright" basis.

And to this you can add the naivety of the "organisation" that the fans will continue to follow blindly and meakly. Well guess what? There will be plenty taking their £25 every fortnight somewhere else! As was chanted after the Vale debacle in 1998, "Nice ground, no fans".

159 posts