The perspective thread.

230 posts
Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The perspective thread.

by Wimb » 20 Oct 2009 10:48

Digging up old threads for the sake of starting a new one.

Hard to maintain the same optimism that I held after the first few games of the season but not given up alltogether yet.

I still find it hard to believe that this group of players is as bad as the TB1 +TB2 teams that they are drawing comparisons with. This team still includes several full internationals and others who have represented their sides at U21 level.

Rodgers clearly isn't useless or he wouldn't have gotten as far in the game as he did. What has pleased me in the last 2 weeks is his own admissions that the players aren't performing and doing what they've been told and he's actually starting to sound critical rather then using the same excuses he did in the first 5-6 games. The talk of going 'back to basics' is a welcome one and I honestly believe that he SHOULD be able to find 11+7 players from the 25 or so we currently have to get us out of trouble.

Abandoning this manager after 13 games is folly in my own opinion. If you look at the season so far and break it down on realistic expectations we're not doing THAT badly.

GAMES YOU'D EXPECT A REBUILDING/AVERAGE SIDE TO WIN

BURTON (H) CUP - WON
BARNSLEY (H) CUP - LOSS

DONCASTER (H) LEAGUE - DRAW
WATFORD (H) LEAGUE - DRAW
BARNSLEY (A) LEAGUE - WIN
PETERBORO' (A) LEAGUE - LOSS
NOTTS FOREST (H) LEAGUE - DRAW

RETURN - 6/15

50/50 GAMES

CARDIFF (H) LEAGUE - LOSS
SWANSEA (A) LEAGUE - DRAW
SHEFF UNITED (H) LEAGUE - LOSS

RETURN 1/9

GAMES YOU WOULD TAKE A DRAW AS REALISTIC BEST CHANCE

MIDDLESBORO (H) LEAGUE - LOSS
NEWCASTLE (A) LEAGUE - LOSS
WEST BROM (A) LEAGUE - LOSS
PRESTON (A) LEAGUE - WIN

RETURN 3/12

In my heart of hearts it's only the top category that I'm really looking at this season, with maybe that second sections. Truthfully the only results that have worried me was the defeat to Peterboro (which COULD be put down to 45 minutes of maddness) and the failure to find the killer goal at home to Donny, Forest and Watford (games in which we probably deserved to win, just didn't get that luck) similarly you could throw Cardiff into that where we deserved to win but didn't.

So the short version of all that crap is this. We're actually competitive/picking up points in the games that matters. However what's annoying the general fanbase (and myself included) is that we're losing games we probably should be losing on the back of failing to win a game we should win. Therefore the frustration carries over into the hard to win games, if that makes any sense at all.

It doesn't need stating again but I will ;) that the next 3 or 4 games are crucial. Anything less then 3 points in the next 2 games will crank up the pressure to levels not seen since we lost at home to Swindon 3-1 under AP or perhaps greater.

Overall though we're still not even into Novemeber during a new managers first season, with many players in their first year for the club. Yes it's a worrying time but despite what many will say I still do believe we have SOME reasons to be optimistic.

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 20 Oct 2009 10:58

Blimey that's good news, and to think I thought we were in the shit!

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 20 Oct 2009 11:24

Dorset-Knob Blimey that's good news, and to think I thought we were in the shit!

We're only in up to our knees at the moment was the jist ;)

zummerset

by zummerset » 20 Oct 2009 11:54

'Baldrick - I have a cunning plan'

Whistle blows....

Bugger

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 20 Oct 2009 11:59

Pencils up the nose, underPANTS on head, you may be on to something here 'my luvva,

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 20 Oct 2009 12:12

Wimb Digging up old threads for the sake of starting a new one.

Hard to maintain the same optimism that I held after the first few games of the season but not given up alltogether yet.

I still find it hard to believe that this group of players is as bad as the TB1 +TB2 teams that they are drawing comparisons with. This team still includes several full internationals and others who have represented their sides at U21 level.

Rodgers clearly isn't useless or he wouldn't have gotten as far in the game as he did. What has pleased me in the last 2 weeks is his own admissions that the players aren't performing and doing what they've been told and he's actually starting to sound critical rather then using the same excuses he did in the first 5-6 games. The talk of going 'back to basics' is a welcome one and I honestly believe that he SHOULD be able to find 11+7 players from the 25 or so we currently have to get us out of trouble.

Abandoning this manager after 13 games is folly in my own opinion. If you look at the season so far and break it down on realistic expectations we're not doing THAT badly.

GAMES YOU'D EXPECT A REBUILDING/AVERAGE SIDE TO WIN

BURTON (H) CUP - WON
BARNSLEY (H) CUP - LOSS

DONCASTER (H) LEAGUE - DRAW
WATFORD (H) LEAGUE - DRAW
BARNSLEY (A) LEAGUE - WIN
PETERBORO' (A) LEAGUE - LOSS
NOTTS FOREST (H) LEAGUE - DRAW

RETURN - 6/15

50/50 GAMES

CARDIFF (H) LEAGUE - LOSS
SWANSEA (A) LEAGUE - DRAW
SHEFF UNITED (H) LEAGUE - LOSS

RETURN 1/9

GAMES YOU WOULD TAKE A DRAW AS REALISTIC BEST CHANCE

MIDDLESBORO (H) LEAGUE - LOSS
NEWCASTLE (A) LEAGUE - LOSS
WEST BROM (A) LEAGUE - LOSS
PRESTON (A) LEAGUE - WIN

RETURN 3/12

In my heart of hearts it's only the top category that I'm really looking at this season, with maybe that second sections. Truthfully the only results that have worried me was the defeat to Peterboro (which COULD be put down to 45 minutes of maddness) and the failure to find the killer goal at home to Donny, Forest and Watford (games in which we probably deserved to win, just didn't get that luck) similarly you could throw Cardiff into that where we deserved to win but didn't.

So the short version of all that crap is this. We're actually competitive/picking up points in the games that matters. However what's annoying the general fanbase (and myself included) is that we're losing games we probably should be losing on the back of failing to win a game we should win. Therefore the frustration carries over into the hard to win games, if that makes any sense at all.

It doesn't need stating again but I will ;) that the next 3 or 4 games are crucial. Anything less then 3 points in the next 2 games will crank up the pressure to levels not seen since we lost at home to Swindon 3-1 under AP or perhaps greater.

Overall though we're still not even into Novemeber during a new managers first season, with many players in their first year for the club. Yes it's a worrying time but despite what many will say I still do believe we have SOME reasons to be optimistic.

I think you're on to something here, Wimb!

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 20 Oct 2009 12:26

Wimb, feeling optimistic is great, but there is no rule amongst all the others I've seen posted on here that says, "because the team has a lot of players in their first year at a new club, they cannot be relegated" is there?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 20 Oct 2009 12:34

apparently yes

rule 756, subsection 3

HTH

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 20 Oct 2009 13:02

brendywendy apparently yes

rule 756, subsection 3

HTH

Checked it in the FA rulebook and this one applies to "outside influences" or beachballs! :shock:

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 20 Oct 2009 13:45

Dorset-Knob Wimb, feeling optimistic is great, but there is no rule amongst all the others I've seen posted on here that says, "because the team has a lot of players in their first year at a new club, they cannot be relegated" is there?

Very valid and of course there isn't. However there are many examples of players taking a while to settle into a new club, and many trying to settle at once doesn't help things one bit.

Rodgers HAS made mistakes there's no doubt about it, however I can see some distant positives and I'm not just making them up for the sake of it.

230 posts