RODGERS OUT. END OF

467 posts
Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Middlesborough Sack Manager - Why Can't We?

by Horsham Royal » 21 Oct 2009 00:59

Horsham Royal
Thou Voice
winchester_royal Am I missing something here? :shock:

Yes.

Garath Southgate was sacked earlier today and he is far more succesful then our crock of shit manager...

...so...

...if a argueably much better manager then ours can get sacked, why are RFC not doing the deed?

DO RFC SEE? :shock:
I'm not sure Middlesborough see ...
The more I think about this, the dafter it becomes. Why on earth sack the manager when you're a point off the top ? It's got to be something personal. Perhaps Gibson found out Southgate had been speaking to Madejski :-)

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RODGERS OUT. END OF

by Horsham Royal » 21 Oct 2009 01:06

Only one Trevor Morley but that the nub of the problem with him - he is a world class interviewer!!! we all got conned by him at the start and now he's trying it again.

people forget how much he contradicts himself - we lack quality in the final third of the field and yet in September we still had quality runinng right through the team - we just needed composure.

I think what irritates me about this statement is that he is trying to make out the half the fans understand that things take time and the other half of us want premier league. thats nonsense. all i wanted from rodgers was to bring a bit of attacking exciting football to reading again after we had gone stale under coppell. Most of us knew that would mean a mid table finish with all the changes. thats fine - it take time to bed in.

but the reality has been a team selection policy that seems to be based on the numbers from last nights lottery draw, really dull football with no attacking edge and a tinkerman approach to tactics. Its as though he is playing champ manager!

I just dont know what a brendan rodgers team means or stands for - and I dont think he does either.

until he does reading will go from bad to worse.

Agree with the stuff re mid-table, etc. , but still think he should be given the 'easier' games coming up to try to get some confidence back, both the player's confidence and his confidence in the plapyers.

Regarding changing the team - what was his record at Watford ? Was he always chopping and changing ?

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 21 Oct 2009 01:06

Honestly, wait until early december to do something.

He claims that there is lack of quality there - but a lot of us saw that at the start of the season. I want him to turn this around, I don't like sacking managers especially one's with a a love for the club. I look at the team and honestly I can't see many managers working with this lot. We are appalling going forward- like I mean WOEFUL. Managers can get a play style, rhythm motivation, but they can't teach poor players with little ability how to be good im afraid. A strike force of church, long, noel hunt and rasiak? Honestly? Who is that going to score again? They can't take all the blame though, we have no wingers. We have one who has one good game every seven and then centre mid's playing out there. There is no synergy, spark, tempo or creativity anywhere on the pitch - the only spark is bertrand, id be tempted to put him on the wing honestly. O'dea has played left back before for celtic. I can't speak highly enough of bertrand, attitude, confidence, ability,etc been a good signing, he looks most likely.

Rodgers has my support until december, im angry and annoyed at the state of our club but the best thing to do is wait it out - at least that way he got a fair crack. God knows what the budget will be in January, I have no confidence someone so keen to sell the club will let a manager who has not produced spend anything. The last few years has seen a raging battle between RTG's and STG's but honestly, times im bleak im afraid, we are officially in turmoil.

I wonder where we would be with a proven attacker like Tommy Smith?

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 21 Oct 2009 01:10

FiNeRaIn I wonder where we would be with a proven attacker like Tommy Smith?
And with a playmaker to match like er ... Matejovsky.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 21 Oct 2009 01:11

This ^^

I feel there is more to matejovsky's time at the club than we will ever know.

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 21 Oct 2009 01:18

Rodgers can f*ck right off now. Pathetic post match interview on Reading World or whatever it is now - are we now doing pre season 3 or 4 or 5, it is your job to get a formation and simple tactics that the players understand. The players look unfit and several tonight looked totally unmotivated. Your signings, you cretin, are half the problem, you're constant chopping and changing of players and formations just shows how f*cking poor you are.You moan about lack of quality in the final third - who bought Rasiak and now won't play him, or the spineless journeyman Mcanuff, or the unfit fat ponce Howard, or the £2 million centre back you replaced with a loan player, or Cummings.

Yes the situation you inherited was tough - but you had a reasonable budget to get in 3 or 4 players who could have made a significant difference and you bought sh*te chasing some pipe dream we would be playing premier league football in the championship.

You are going to go down as a Reading FC legend - the guy that was worse than Bullivant. You have created a spineless, rudderless, collection of individuals that are just not competetivt at championship football. I was there tonight when they sang a special song for you and the team - duh duh duh duh f*cking useless. GO NOW.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 21 Oct 2009 01:20

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 21 Oct 2009 01:21

The Quiet Man Rodgers can f*ck right off now. Pathetic post match interview on Reading World or whatever it is now - are we now doing pre season 3 or 4 or 5, it is your job to get a formation and simple tactics that the players understand. The players look unfit and several tonight looked totally unmotivated. Your signings, you cretin, are half the problem, you're constant chopping and changing of players and formations just shows how f*cking poor you are.You moan about lack of quality in the final third - who bought Rasiak and now won't play him, or the spineless journeyman Mcanuff, or the unfit fat ponce Howard, or the £2 million centre back you replaced with a loan player, or Cummings.

Yes the situation you inherited was tough - but you had a reasonable budget to get in 3 or 4 players who could have made a significant difference and you bought sh*te chasing some pipe dream we would be playing premier league football in the championship.

You are going to go down as a Reading FC legend - the guy that was worse than Bullivant. You have created a spineless, rudderless, collection of individuals that are just not competetivt at championship football. I was there tonight when they sang a special song for you and the team - duh duh duh duh f*cking useless. GO NOW.

living up to your name there i see.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 21 Oct 2009 01:23

I think he does know. He just can't do it with this group of players... and he ought to have realised that long ago. But we learn from our mistakes and he said he wanted to go back to basics.

Tonight was a joke. BUT I'd still like to see him have a few more attempts at back to basics. I mean, he's been pumping them full of all these overly complex tactics and formations, so to go back to a straight forward 442 isn't going to be like flicking a switch, and even for 442 I still think the squad is bit unbalanced (If we did a thread on picking your best 11 - and only in 442 - there would be a lot of disagreement).

I think we've just got to wait and see for another month - this situation is bad but not irreversible - the teams below us look just as bad. I agree he's made daft decisions and as I've said before I think he overestimated the talent available to him and underestimated the division after having done pretty well on his first go at watford.

He's now admitted that he's got it wrong. I'd like to see him given some time to show us how he's going to put it right. But I undestand why some people want him out now, because our league position is precarious... and things don't yet seem to be improving.

I am annoyed with Rodgers for taking so long to figure it out. I'm annoyed with the way the playing staff was cut down IMO over zealously. But sacking him now may be premature. If he walked? I'd still be left wondering if maybe he could have done it eventually. It's a long season, a month more won't relegate us and there's no guarantee another manager will turn things around.

He needs to pick his best team in a 442 formation and the sooner the better. To be honest it's not easy with the squad we've got - the starting 11 doesn't exactly jump out at you. Injuries won't help with this, as shown tonight.

I thought we'd be mid-table or lower mid. Now I just want to stay up, and I still would like to believe Rodgers is capable of producing that but if things are still this rubbish around early december that's when i'd start shopping around for a new manager.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 21 Oct 2009 01:23

I was there at Elm Park
winchester_royal http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1832419,00.html

Right, he's won me over again. Sounds like some his 'contacts' are gonna get a call asking for a few players.

He deserves time. We ripped him off by bringing him from what was a very comfortable position at Watford into a nightmare here. He, and the team, need our support.

Let's give it to him, at least for the next 5 games.

+1

I'd use whatever money that Rodgers gets for loan signings etc to pay him off. Far better for the club in the long run

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 21 Oct 2009 01:25

I wouldn't complain if Gareth Southgate was Reading manager in a few weeks' time.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 21 Oct 2009 01:27

cmonurz I wouldn't complain if Gareth Southgate was Reading manager in a few weeks' time.

I fcuking would.

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 21 Oct 2009 01:32

The Quiet Man ... are we now doing pre season 3 or 4 or 5 ...

Wouldn't a new manager now need another 'pre-season' or would you expect them to instantly evaluate the players, pick a team and stick with it ?

BR appears to finally be admitting he was wrong, so in my opinion should be allowed to try to put it right (until December).

Agree about some of the signings, but I think the quality of those available to sign has not been totally down to BR. Other factors like money and fashionability come into play.

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 21 Oct 2009 01:33

winchester_royal
cmonurz I wouldn't complain if Gareth Southgate was Reading manager in a few weeks' time.

I fcuking would.
+1 :)

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 21 Oct 2009 01:40

Horsham Royal

Wouldn't a new manager now need another 'pre-season' or would you expect them to instantly evaluate the players, pick a team and stick with it ?

BR appears to finally be admitting he was wrong, so in my opinion should be allowed to try to put it right (until December).

This was the basic point of my page long essay... I'm annoyed about tonight, but pleased that he is finally willing to try something different, albeit having taken his time about it. I'd like to see how this plays out for a bit longer. But if we lose on monday without giving a decent account of ourselves I will still probably take the opportunity to let people know about it after the final whistle...

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 21 Oct 2009 01:42

rob the royal
Horsham Royal

This was the basic point of my page long essay... I'm annoyed about tonight, but pleased that he is finally willing to try something different, albeit having taken his time about it. I'd like to see how this plays out for a bit longer. But if we lose on monday without giving a decent account of ourselves I will still probably take the opportunity to let people know about it after the final whistle...

not sure you can say he's finally trying something - i think i've seen every formation and every player on readings books since august.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 21 Oct 2009 01:49

I think he'll stumble on to Ipswich at home having picked up a point from Leicester and Coventry, and after a defeat to Keano's men (thats if he's still in charge!) which would probably send Ipswich above us thats curtains for him. Notts Forest at home seems an eternity ago when there was a faint glimmer of the passing style so endorsed by BR and now just a theory in his dusty tactics book. Losing the fans is one thing in the world of football but losing the support of your own playing staff was all too evident at Loftus Road and something that cannot be reversed.

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 21 Oct 2009 01:52

Only one Trevor Morley
rob the royal

not sure you can say he's finally trying something - i think i've seen every formation and every player on readings books since august.
But maybe that's the point. He's been chopping and changing to see what combinations of players can do together and has finally decided no combination can do what he wants. Therefore his comments about quality. It's not finally trying something different in team selection, it's finally understanding the reality of what he's got to work with.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 21 Oct 2009 01:56

Only one Trevor Morley

Yeah Horsham that is what I meant.

He's finally realised that all that tinkering around he was doing with his million and one formations got us nowhere, and is willing to try going back to basics and playing a simple 442 to try an grind out some results. Tonight wasn't a good start. If we're as poor on Monday I will be disappointed, but don't think I will call for his head just yet.

That won't stop me from calling him an idiot on here though.

Losing the fans is one thing in the world of football but losing the support of your own playing staff was all too evident at Loftus Road and something that cannot be reversed.

And it may be he'll have to go eventually if you are right and the players don't believe in him anymore.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 21 Oct 2009 02:01

Horsham Royal
Only one Trevor Morley
rob the royal

But maybe that's the point. He's been chopping and changing to see what combinations of players can do together and has finally decided no combination can do what he wants. Therefore his comments about quality. It's not finally trying something different in team selection, it's finally understanding the reality of what he's got to work with.

but he had three months of pre season to figure this out,given that he would have had his eventual transfer targets in mind already and how they would have fitted into the ethos of his new squad, surely this smacks of poor planning and lacking attention to detail at the critical phase of the season.

467 posts