RODGERS OUT. END OF

467 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: RODGERS OUT. END OF

by Ian Royal » 25 Oct 2009 17:31

winchester_royal
Royal Lady
winchester_royal That's a shame. Given he was Chelsea's main academy and reserve team coach I assume some people must have heard of him.

Why throughout the world? How many times have the academy and reserves played teams from across the world? :roll: Who is Man Utd's /Arsenal/Liverpool Academy coach? You must have heard of them? By your reckoning the world will know about them, but I haven't a scooby who they are.

1. Maybe not the world, but certainly around Europe.
2. I was talking about his reputation within football. When there is a talented coach on the circuit, word spreads. Just because we as fans haven't heard of academy coaches, it doesn't mean they're not known throughout football.

Being highly thought of in the Chelsea set up is likely to get you known.

Being known as a good youth coach does not qualify you for a manager's job.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 25 Oct 2009 17:34

Ian Royal

No but how else do you get a start in management? you're either a good coach or a former player :roll:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Oct 2009 17:37

Wimb
Ian Royal

No but how else do you get a start in management? you're either a good coach or a former player :roll:

How about coach a full side or work as an assistant manager first?

I'm just saying that Rodgers allegedly being know across the world (according to w_r) as a yoputh coach doesn't make him a good manager, or mean he should be given more rope than he needs to hang himself.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 25 Oct 2009 17:49

Ian Royal

I'm just saying that Rodgers allegedly being know across the world (according to w_r) as a yoputh coach doesn't make him a good manager, or mean he should be given more rope than he needs to hang himself.

Well BR has coached a full side in the form of Watford and also Chelsea's reserve team.

It's impossible for USsat here to say whether he had a good reputation within football or not, as we by definition are not in football ;)

HOWEVER, the vast majority of the comments from people well thought of in the game have been very positive on Rodgers (with the odd exception such as Steveeeie C) Unless they are just being very polite I'd take that as a good sign.

All managers should be given a chance to prove themselves before they are given the bullet and less then 1/3 of a league season is hardly a chance. Any manager can have a dodgy spell and the chances of a dodgy spell go up markedly during a spell at the start of a tenure when he's had to revamp his squad.

Still, the above doesn't mean he's immune to critisism and far from it, his policies need to be challenged in order to make the club and Rodgers himself justify them to himself and to fans. What we need to remember is that Rome wasn't built in a day and we need to give the man a CHANCE but not forever.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Oct 2009 17:53

Wimb
Ian Royal

Well BR has coached a full side in the form of Watford and also Chelsea's reserve team.

It's impossible for USsat here to say whether he had a good reputation within football or not, as we by definition are not in football ;)

HOWEVER, the vast majority of the comments from people well thought of in the game have been very positive on Rodgers (with the odd exception such as Steveeeie C) Unless they are just being very polite I'd take that as a good sign.

All managers should be given a chance to prove themselves before they are given the bullet and less then 1/3 of a league season is hardly a chance. Any manager can have a dodgy spell and the chances of a dodgy spell go up markedly during a spell at the start of a tenure when he's had to revamp his squad.

Still, the above doesn't mean he's immune to critisism and far from it, his policies need to be challenged in order to make the club and Rodgers himself justify them to himself and to fans. What we need to remember is that Rome wasn't built in a day and we need to give the man a CHANCE but not forever.

No offence, but 6 months at Watford does not make him a good manager either, especially in light of what Malky MacKay is doing there in his abscence. And Chelsea's reserves, good as they are, are not a full side.

I don't care whether he has a good reputation or not. He is doing a bloody awful job here.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 25 Oct 2009 17:57

Ian Royal No offence, but 6 months at Watford does not make him a good manager either, especially in light of what Malky MacKay is doing there in his abscence. And Chelsea's reserves, good as they are, are not a full side.

I don't care whether he has a good reputation or not. He is doing a bloody awful job here.

Well yes being in the bottom 3 does suggest he's doing a bad job here, can't dispute that really.

What people like myself and WR are trying to say is that his reputation and the positive comments about him give hope that he might turn it around.

I don't understand your point about Malky? He's inherited a team that was doing well under BR... does that mean maybe BR was doing a good job there?

I wasn't suggesting 6 months proves he's a good manager, what I was saying is how else are people supposed to gain a reputation other then from coaching at whatever level. He's been a coach for over a decade and worked his way up, he must have worked his way up for a reason or he wouldn't have gotten as far as Chelski's reserve team boss. Does that mean he'll be a good manager? no but it qualifies him for a chance I'd say. It's now up to him to prove he can cut it, but for me less then 1/3 of a season isn't a 'chance'

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Oct 2009 18:01

Wimb
Ian Royal No offence, but 6 months at Watford does not make him a good manager either, especially in light of what Malky MacKay is doing there in his abscence. And Chelsea's reserves, good as they are, are not a full side.

Well yes being in the bottom 3 does suggest he's doing a bad job here, can't dispute that really.

What people like myself and WR are trying to say is that his reputation and the positive comments about him give hope that he might turn it around.

I don't understand your point about Malky? He's inherited a team that was doing well under BR... does that mean maybe BR was doing a good job there?

I wasn't suggesting 6 months proves he's a good manager, what I was saying is how else are people supposed to gain a reputation other then from coaching at whatever level. He's been a coach for over a decade and worked his way up, he must have worked his way up for a reason or he wouldn't have gotten as far as Chelski's reserve team boss. Does that mean he'll be a good manager? no but it qualifies him for a chance I'd say. It's now up to him to prove he can cut it, but for me less then 1/3 of a season isn't a 'chance'

MacKay lost all of their best players under Rodgers and has them performing better. Which to me suggests that it wasn't Rodgers who sorted them out at all.

I'm not saying he's shit and needs to go because of our position in the league, although it contributes. But because of the manner of his management and our performances. All the reputation in the world isn't going to help him if he continues to make the most elementary management mistakes.

He's gone wrong from the word go in pretty much everything he's done. Maybe, if he hadn't got stuff so badly wrong early on in the start to the season he would have worked out fine. But the simple fact is he didn't and it's only getting worse, with no sign of any improvement.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 25 Oct 2009 18:07

Ian Royal Being known as a good youth coach does not qualify you for a manager's job.

And therein lies the problem. There are loads of excellent coaches out there but how many turn into excellent managers? Two examples from yesteryear are Don Howe and Malcolm Allison. Excellent coaches both but when it came to day to day football management, they were simply not good enough. This is where I see BR. He may well be a talented and highly repected coach but that is where it ends.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Oct 2009 18:13

Poor 2nd 6 months to his managerial career but far too early to reach any conclusions. End of.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 25 Oct 2009 18:15

Royal Rother End of.

I wish.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Oct 2009 18:15

Royal Rother Poor 2nd 6 months to his managerial career but far too early to reach any conclusions. End of.

About his managerial career, certainly. About his tenure at Reading FC? More than enough time in the circumstances.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 25 Oct 2009 18:23

Royal Rother Poor 2nd 6 months to his managerial career but far too early to reach any conclusions. End of.

Conclusions on what?

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 25 Oct 2009 19:10

Does it have to be "Rodgers Out"?

I'm in the give him more time camp myself, but the position we're in isn't good and needs something. Is there no other alternative? I've seen people ask if it's possible to bring back Steve Coppell as a sort of mentor. Would that work? Is there something else that could be done that doesn't involve something so risky as pushing him out with no plan of what to do next? I'm just not convinced that it will necessarily make things any better.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 25 Oct 2009 19:14

Ian Royal THREE POINT FIVE MILLION POUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

list of players worth total of 3.5 m guaranteed to be better than rasiak, berti, mcanuff, mills, cumming(......ok not cummings)
etc
and guaranteed to want to come to Reading after SC left
and were available and ready to go a week before the window shut once we got the money

please

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 25 Oct 2009 19:14

Man Friday You've only got to see the players he's bought: Rasiak (Southampton League 1), Cummings (crap beyond belief), Howard (pub league fitness), McAnuff (hides).
These are indefensible purchases and confirm utterly and completely and above anything else that we are not safe in his hands. No more arguments. End of.

end of shmend of

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 25 Oct 2009 19:20

Coppell will not be back to this mess of a club, why would he? He was enjoying his punditry role at anfield earlier today and looked as relaxed as i've seen him in ages.

Rodgers/Madejski are to blame for this. But, madejski is very clever in the respect he never allows blame to fully be put at his door. We don't know if coppell ever had funds to buy players with in the latter years for example. Anyone with a brain knows its his doing we have a squad of cheapo's and all the earners have been shipped on, but he won't allow that to be put at his door. Rodgers was an easy yes man for mr mad to bring in and place the burden of the club onto. I feel sorry for rodgers but his managerial decisions and naivety has been frighteningly poor - in that regards madejski and rodgers are to blame for the state of the club. Both have to go in January and we need someone new in with a new direction for the club from top to bottom.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 25 Oct 2009 19:22

Ideal
Sarah Star Does it have to be "Rodgers Out"?

Don't let your pathological fear of the unknown hinder you from judging Rodgers "performance" as Reading manager.
I'm sure it is the same for battered women who want out of a bad marriage, "but.. who would I replace him with, nobody would want me.."
In the same way you go "who would we replace him with, I'm not sure this is for the best"..

ALOLOL!

Post of the day.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 25 Oct 2009 19:33

Ideal
Sarah Star Does it have to be "Rodgers Out"?

Yes. And it has to be ASAP, sooner rather than later.
Don't let your pathological fear of the unknown hinder you from judging Rodgers "performance" as Reading manager.
I'm sure it is the same for battered women who want out of a bad marriage, "but.. who would I replace him with, nobody would want me.."

It really is a horrible analogy but the worst thing is it fits :shock:

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 25 Oct 2009 19:37

It's not just a fear of the unknown, nor a feeling of 'who will want us?' (though the battered woman analogy had me going both :shock: and :lol: ) It's also a case of would they be able to do any better - possibly with less as we'll still have to pay off Rodgers.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Oct 2009 19:43

brendywendy
Ian Royal THREE POINT FIVE MILLION POUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

list of players worth total of 3.5 m guaranteed to be better than rasiak, berti, mcanuff, mills, cumming(......ok not cummings)
etc
and guaranteed to want to come to Reading after SC left
and were available and ready to go a week before the window shut once we got the money

please

Did I get a job as a football scout all of a sudden?

I don't think the majority of his signings have been that bad. I think Howard was unnecessary and Rasiak poor. It's the pathetic management which is making them look bad.

Assuming Howard cost £500k and Cummings cost £300k which came from the failed Smith transfer, and that Rasiak cost £300k. Drop Howard + Rasiak, add the remaining £1m available for Smith and I would be incredulous if we couldn't have picked up a relatively athletic and tall striker with a bit of experience for £1.8m.

And as an alternate option, what about that nice young lad from Arsenal that showed us up completely? Jay Simpson.

467 posts