RODGERS OUT. END OF

467 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: RODGERS OUT. END OF

by Ian Royal » 25 Oct 2009 19:44

Sarah Star It's not just a fear of the unknown, nor a feeling of 'who will want us?' (though the battered woman analogy had me going both :shock: and :lol: ) It's also a case of would they be able to do any better - possibly with less as we'll still have to pay off Rodgers.

Could they do worse? Not likely.

working class hero

by working class hero » 25 Oct 2009 20:16

I have met BR once.
He was likeable and enthusiastic and really had RFC's best interests at heart.

I think he is out of his depth - but this is not entirely a mess of his making and sacking him might just be the catalyst to final disintegration and relegation.

Having had a brick by brick approach SJM suddenly went mad and reduced RFC to the level of ground zero by selling the family silver. Perhaps we should have considered the effects of relegation on our ability to pay wages? Why did the contracts not stipulate massive cuts as the penalty for failure??? Then we could have afforded to keep our better players.

AS things go unless SJM is willing to throw huge sums of cash at a new manager to spend in the window there is little point in a change.

I think we are going down - a case of 'back where you belong' perhaps? I shall enjoy watching us in L1 or L2 - why not? We loved Reading in the 4th tier before and can do so if need be again....

Perhaps BR will prove to be a good manager for us if given time. At the moment I think Fergie / Benitez or Wenger would struggle to survive with the squad BR has had foisted upon him.

Tommy Jones

by Tommy Jones » 25 Oct 2009 20:28

What a bunch of arses you lot are!! . . . . .

Face up to the facts guys, Coppells gone, end of a very successful era, but now its time to take stock and rebuild.

Give Madjeski some credit. He's put in his money and still is but has always maintained to really push this club forward it will take someone with deeper pockets than his. . . . In todays economic climate even the wealthy are thinking twice about buying clubs. Is it fair to expect him to pump in more funds, buying players and possibly see the club facing problems currently experienced by the likes of Portsmouth. . . . He has bought in Rodgers to rebuild a fresh team, with new young exciting players playing a different style to that offered by Coppell. . . . This means he needs time!! . . . Yes its possible we could be relegated, it was always going to be a tough season, just look at the teams in this division!! . . clubs way bigger than Reading with access to more funds and resources.

Lets give the guy the time needed to do his job and lets get behind the players and give them our full support!!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Oct 2009 20:31

working class hero I have met BR once.

I think he is out of his depth - but this is not entirely a mess of his making and sacking him might just be the catalyst to final disintegration and relegation.

Having had a brick by brick approach SJM suddenly went mad and reduced RFC to the level of ground zero by selling the family silver. Perhaps we should have considered the effects of relegation on our ability to pay wages? Why did the contracts not stipulate massive cuts as the penalty for failure??? Then we could have afforded to keep our better players.

AS things go unless SJM is willing to throw huge sums of cash at a new manager to spend in the window there is little point in a change.

I think we are going down - a case of 'back where you belong' perhaps? I shall enjoy watching us in L1 or L2 - why not? We loved Reading in the 4th tier before and can do so if need be again....

Perhaps BR will prove to be a good manager for us if given time. At the moment I think Fergie / Benitez or Wenger would struggle to survive with the squad BR has had foisted upon him.

There was a 40% reduction in wages overall when we were relegated. We would not have kept our best players no matter how much we were willing to pay them. Hunt and Doyle were off anyway (arguably Harper too) and Bikey can't really be described as a best player. The only player having a budget for more wages would have affected was Hahnemann.

working class hero

by working class hero » 25 Oct 2009 20:40

Ian Royal
working class hero I have met BR once.

There was a 40% reduction in wages overall when we were relegated. We would not have kept our best players no matter how much we were willing to pay them. Hunt and Doyle were off anyway (arguably Harper too) and Bikey can't really be described as a best player. The only player having a budget for more wages would have affected was Hahnemann.

But 40% was not a big enough cut for the Club to be able to afford the wages - so poor contracting. Harps did not wish to go - when last I asked him if he was staying he replied 'it's not up to me if the Club want me to go'.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Oct 2009 20:55

Personally I don't think Harper had to go, but I know some more ITK than I am claim he was always off this summer.

Problem is we've lost a lot of our better players, but kept the vast quantities of unnecessary mediocre ones. That's one reason I never would have kept Gunnar, even if his experience could be very useful. We simply had way too many midfielders. And what did Rodgers do? Dump one and bring in another no better.

Federici, Hamer & Andersen
Cummings/Rosenior, Armstrong, Bertrand & Kelly
Ingimarsson, Mills, Pearce, Cisse & O'Dea
Karacan, Gunnarsson & Tabb
Davies, Matejovsky, Harper/Howard, Siggurdsson & Bozanic
Kebe, Henry, Antonio, McAnuff & HRK
Hunt, Long, Church, Mooney, Bignall & Rasiak

31 players is simply way way too big a squad. Even with Davies, Andersen, Antonio, Mooney, Bignall & Henry out on loan. And most of the padding is at centreback and midfield, leaving us ok in numbers but short of quality elsewhere, so sending those lot out on loan doen't really help much.

Personally I think we should have started the season with the ones in Bold. That's 24 players and potentially a fair bit more cash available. And we still could have sent a few more out if needed and got a couple more signings in before the window closed/after the first few games.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 25 Oct 2009 21:23

Tommy Jones What a bunch of arses you lot are!! . . . . .

Face up to the facts guys, Coppells gone, end of a very successful era, but now its time to take stock and rebuild.

Give Madjeski some credit. He's put in his money and still is but has always maintained to really push this club forward it will take someone with deeper pockets than his. . . . In todays economic climate even the wealthy are thinking twice about buying clubs. Is it fair to expect him to pump in more funds, buying players and possibly see the club facing problems currently experienced by the likes of Portsmouth. . . . He has bought in Rodgers to rebuild a fresh team, with new young exciting players playing a different style to that offered by Coppell. . . . This means he needs time!! . . . Yes its possible we could be relegated, it was always going to be a tough season, just look at the teams in this division!! . . clubs way bigger than Reading with access to more funds and resources.

Lets give the guy the time needed to do his job and lets get behind the players and give them our full support!!

FFS.
"rebuild a fresh team" with Howard, Rasiak
"new young exciting players" such as Cummings
"playing a different style to that offered by Coppell". Shambolic and apathetic is certainly different.
Smell the coffee. What would convince you he was the wrong man? What does it take? Set fire to an old persons' home? He's doing his damnest to convince you with his stupid comments (see Rodgers' Sayings elsewhere on this forum).

Cookie

by Cookie » 26 Oct 2009 00:20

It's tough when you're under pressure. His comments about experimenting and extending the pre-season can't have done much for team morale.

loyalroyal1

In the hope of perspective

by loyalroyal1 » 27 Oct 2009 09:48

Yes, another thread about the manager of RFC, but one I hope which trys to bring a common-sense angle to things.

I've not watched us much this season and stayed away last night, preferring the TV to the stadium instead. I live over 100 miles away so it's not always easy to justify being there in person. To be honest we weren't that bad. From a management angle we clearly have at least two major failings on the pitch though and I think any observer would have noted them:-

No spine; there is no hard core down the middle, no leading Centre Back, no leading midfielder with any bite, and no penetration up front. It doesn't matter what style of play we are supposed to be delivering all teams need a lead defender to hold the line and get things organised at the back, ideally with a bit of grit. That isn't Pearce yet (who seemed hesitant to me), it's not Mills and it certainly isn't Federici. An experienced head is needed and I'm not sure it is Ingi either as he's not really the tough, no nonsense head. O'Dea is still a kid. I don't think opponents scout Reading and report back that they are difficult to break down, Leicester only really attacked half a dozen times but created goal scoring opportunities almost every time. If opponents are allowed to come onto a brittle back four without midfield protection then the back four need to be very very well drilled. I don't see that we are and this is a management failing, nothing else.

No genuine goal scorers; all teams are only ever as good as their strikers. Football fact, at this level you need 3 or 4 genuine goal scorers, ideally one dominant lead. We don't have one - Long, Church, Rasziak (sadly long past his best), will not worry opposition defenders that much. Although Church's movement is very good he is not yet a goal scorer and may need two more seasons before he is at this level.

Before half time last night you could see the goal coming, it was a soft one and should have been prevented, shouldn't they all! The real worry though is that the failings of the team aren't difficult to spot and I'm not a manager. So for Rogers to say what he did after the game beggars belief. We will be relegated if he doesn't fix these things and it is no good just hoping it will get better in time. It is upon his shoulders that it rests.

As for whether he should be sacked, it doesn't matter yet as JM won't sack him in November. But if we are bottom three in early December then Nicky Hammond will be being sadly remiss in his role at the club if he hasn't asked Rogers to resign, presuming he has lined up an experienced replacement like Curbishley before he does. I just can't see JM just deciding to sack someone he regards well. My worry is that Rogers can't yet see the obvious failings in his team. Spine and penetration Brendan!! You need a leader with some spirit and fight, and you need to find a goal scorer or two, get looking!!! Find both and you will be fine, find neither and gone in December is my view.

(.)Boobies(.)

Re: In the hope of perspective

by (.)Boobies(.) » 27 Oct 2009 09:51

loyalroyal1 Yes, another thread about the manager of RFC...

I'm glad you started with that, you saved me reading the rest.

loyalroyal1 I've not watched us much this season and stayed away last night...

But I caught this, and it justified why I can't be bothered to read on any further.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 27 Oct 2009 09:58

(.)Boobies(.)
loyalroyal1 Yes, another thread about the manager of RFC...

I'm glad you started with that, you saved me reading the rest.

loyalroyal1 I've not watched us much this season and stayed away last night...

But I caught this, and it justified why I can't be bothered to read on any further.

why bother replying then?

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 27 Oct 2009 09:59

To be fair, Boobs, he makes some excellent points that are well worthy of discussion and debate. I recommend you read it, you could do worse things with your time!

(.)Boobies(.)

by (.)Boobies(.) » 27 Oct 2009 10:26

handbags_harris To be fair, Boobs, he makes some excellent points that are well worthy of discussion and debate. I recommend you read it, you could do worse things with your time!

Yes, agree, but it's more of the same. Haven't covered just about everything in the 187 threads on Rodgers? I like it when you call me Boobs.

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 27 Oct 2009 10:33

(.)Boobies(.)
handbags_harris To be fair, Boobs, he makes some excellent points that are well worthy of discussion and debate. I recommend you read it, you could do worse things with your time!

Yes, agree, but it's more of the same. Haven't covered just about everything in the 187 threads on Rodgers? I like it when you call me Boobs.

Ghey fest! :wink:

friday fan

by friday fan » 27 Oct 2009 10:37

even though Brendan Rodgers looks crap at the moment I think the real hold back is Hammond and the board. Get rid of Hammond, Notts County got Sven as their football Director, What about El Tel (Venables) or even Keegan some pulling power to get good experienced players to the club, now is the time to get loan signings so lets get a striker a real striker for a few months, get the goals, get the confidence and then BR might survive until the end of the season then he should go. I have names, as mentioned before on other threads like Viduka would go well in the championship and would cost but we can't buy goals at the minute. I mentioned Josh Kennedy before and got hooted, he is big, strong the Viduka mould but alot younger, Going with an Aussie flavour get Craig Moore ex Rangers to play at the back, here in Aussie season ends just after new year and being a world cup year players looking for other clubs to preserve their selection chances. He plays international level and has played at a decent level before plus he is a fighter. Lastly get rid of Lampard Senior as he seems not to contribute. With the midfield, letting Harps go was a mistake. End off!

AF1
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Ya got guns, got guns too, what up son, do you wanna battle for cash and see who Sun Tzu?

by AF1 » 27 Oct 2009 12:02

LOL @ everyone who said Rogers should be sacked :!:

you can all have a slab of humble pie now all right

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 27 Oct 2009 12:19

Ideal
AF1 LOL @ everyone who said Rogers should be sacked :!:

you can all have a slab of humble pie now all right

I'm not sure if you are for real or making a joke.
There are clearly some deluded people who would say something like this after a 0-1 loss and mean it.
So it is difficult to decide whether or not this is a joke or you genuinely feel like losing 0-1 is Rodgers' way of showing the world he is a great manager.

If you really think losing 0-1 was great stuff, then yes, you are deluded.

:roll:
:lol:

Cpl Jones Dont panic

by Cpl Jones Dont panic » 27 Oct 2009 12:22

I saw Pardew walking into the Madsat last night, seems strange that he has watched us twice in a week, is his life really that desperate?

Cotswold Royal

by Cotswold Royal » 27 Oct 2009 13:09

Lurking for a while. Followed the team since 76.
My view is that Madejski over compensated in his cost cutting and Rodgers is out of his depth. As much as Rodgers had his hands tied in regard to what he could spend, he has in my opinion commited many cardinal sins.

1. He does not seem to know his best team.
2. He does not seem to know his best formation.
3. He has never managed to get the spine of the team right or settled. We have a centre back who is in one week, out the next, then back in again and is made Captain! (lunacy). We have an ever changing midfield, some times we have two defensive midfielders sometimes none, with the attacking midfielders changing almost weekly. We do not have any good strikers.
4. His signings, whether permanent or loan have been very poor. Cummings is not a footballer, Mcanuff is a luxury player (we already have one of those), Howard should not be in the same team as Matejovsky and Siggurdsson, where is the grit? Where was the plan B if we failed to get Smith?
5. Lastly and probably most damning - the players are not fit. The team is fading at the end of every game. The one thing you know in this league is that it is going to get tough and very physical. There is no excuse for not being prepared for it.

All in all it does not make great reading. There is no consistency to anything he does. He should go.

ps.. one last thought. Why try to build a passing team when you know that you will play a large chunk of your games on the worst pitch in the division?

The Royal We

by The Royal We » 27 Oct 2009 13:17

Cotswold Royal Lurking for a while. Followed the team since 76.
My view is that Madejski over compensated in his cost cutting and Rodgers is out of his depth. As much as Rodgers had his hands tied in regard to what he could spend, he has in my opinion commited many cardinal sins.

1. He does not seem to know his best team.
2. He does not seem to know his best formation.
3. He has never managed to get the spine of the team right or settled. We have a centre back who is in one week, out the next, then back in again and is made Captain! (lunacy). We have an ever changing midfield, some times we have two defensive midfielders sometimes none, with the attacking midfielders changing almost weekly. We do not have any good strikers.
4. His signings, whether permanent or loan have been very poor. Cummings is not a footballer, Mcanuff is a luxury player (we already have one of those), Howard should not be in the same team as Matejovsky and Siggurdsson, where is the grit? Where was the plan B if we failed to get Smith?
5. Lastly and probably most damning - the players are not fit. The team is fading at the end of every game. The one thing you know in this league is that it is going to get tough and very physical. There is no excuse for not being prepared for it.

All in all it does not make great reading. There is no consistency to anything he does. He should go.

ps.. one last thought. Why try to build a passing team when you know that you will play a large chunk of your games on the worst pitch in the division?

This^^

You should post more often - I think that's pretty much spot on!

467 posts