Alex Pearce on the BBC.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

Alex Pearce on the BBC.

by LoyalRoyalFan » 27 Oct 2009 16:50

Sorry if this has been mentioned before. It's from Paul Fletcher's blog.

Reading's Alex Pearce - the new John Terry?

Paul Fletcher | 10:38 UK time, Tuesday, 27 October 2009

Reading defender Alex Pearce found himself in the headlines before the start of the season when his manager compared him to England captain John Terry.

The Royals had just played Chelsea in a friendly and Pearce had enjoyed a very solid afternoon trying to snaffle the not inconsiderable threat posed by Terry's club team-mates Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka.

Pearce and Terry come from very different backgrounds. Terry went to Eastbury Comprehensive in Barking and played for the Senrab club side that also counts the likes of Jermain Defoe, Sol Campbell and Ledley King among its former players.

Pearce attended the esteemed Oratory School in Woodcote in Berkshire. Composers, politicians, soldiers and rugby players are among the famous Old Oratorians. Pearce played fly-half for the rugby team and showed early promise but always preferred the round ball.

There are undoubted comparisons to be made between Pearce and Terry beyond the fact that both wear the number 26.

Both have come through the ranks at their club. Pearce seems to have the same drive and natural leadership that Terry obviously possesses in abundance. They are good in the air, solid all-round defensively and competent in possession. Pearce is candid enough to admit that he is far from quick, though the same might be said of Terry.

"John Terry never seems to get caught," added Pearce. "People say he is not the quickest but he is sharp in the mind.

"I actually try to base my game on him. I watch him all the time on TV and study his play."

Pearce was brought to Reading by current boss Brendan Rodgers as a 12-year-old when the Royals manager worked with the club's Academy,

Rodgers eventually left to take up a similar role at Chelsea before a short spell as manager of Watford ended when he returned to Reading. Knowing Terry from his time at Stamford Bridge, Rodgers gave the defender's mobile phone number to Pearce.

"I texted John and he said I could call him any time. He has since texted me a couple of times before games to wish me luck," added the Reading defender.

Rodgers is obviously in a strong position from which to compare the two players, but I wonder whether Rodgers might have been shrewd to keep his observation to himself. Being compared to the England captain is a hard billing for a young player to live up to, although Pearce describes the comparison as a massive compliment.

Certainly, there are plenty of talented young defenders in the Football League - Sean St Ledger (Middlesbrough), Miles Addison (Derby) and Sean Morrison (Swindon) to name but three. I would be very interested to know who you rate - and who you think can go on to play in the Premier League.

I met Pearce last week and several times during my conversation I had to remind myself that he is only 20. He talks with a calm assurance and maturity way beyond his years. I suppose it is a measure of Pearce's even temperament that he seems to be unfazed by the burden that being compared to Terry can bring with it.

Pearce, with loan spells at Northampton, Bournemouth, Norwich and Southampton under his belt, was made vice-captain over the summer but, with Ivar Ingimarsson injured at the start of the campaign, he started the season as skipper.

The script suggested he would form a key part of the bold new era under Rodgers, who has adopted a new system with a heavy emphasis on ball retention.

But not much has gone to plan at the Royals this season.

The season didn't start all that badly with two clean sheets in their opening three Championship fixtures and a 5-1 win over Burton in the Carling Cup.

But Reading have managed just two goals in their seven home Championship fixtures and have conceded 23 goals from their 15 league games. They have problems at both ends of the pitch and have lost their last four games.

The Royals lost again on Monday, 1-0 to Leicester at the Madejski Stadium. They haven't won at home since January and are currently in the bottom three.

Reading, with Pearce returning to the side as skipper in the absence of the suspended Ingimarsson, were unluck against the Foxes but were punished for failing to convert any of the numerous chances they created.

Clearly, something isn't working and the Rodgers era has yet to get off the ground.

Perhaps the new boss has tried to change too much, too soon. Rodgers changed the system when he took over, with Steve Coppell's attacking 4-4-2 giving way to a more fluid 4-3-3 system with a heavy emphasis on retaining possession.

"It takes time for everyone to get used to new systems," said Pearce diplomatically. "There has been a massive change in the club and it does not gel overnight.

"We do a lot of passing in the new formation on the training field, working hard to get used to our positions and what to do in the shape - that is the idea."

Rodgers revealed the pragmatist within him by switching to a 4-4-2 for the recent game at QPR, acknowledging the need for a temporary return to the old system to get some points on the board and rebuild confidence. The Royals lost 4-1, prompting fans to chant the manager would be sacked in the morning, but he stuck with 4-4-2 against the Foxes.

Rodgers has experimented with changing personnel as well as his formation and Pearce found himself rested after the 3-2 defeat at Peterborough in mid-September.

Determined to show his commitment, the 20-year-old surprised everyone by turning up in the dressing at Preston before kick-off after driving up to support the side for their midweek fixture.

Pearce is one of several players in and around the first-team squad who have come through the Reading Academy. The likes of Hal Robson-Kanu, Jem Karacan and Simon Church have all figured this season and, although it might not look that way at the moment, Pearce is confident that they can form the basis of a successful future for the Royals.

The central defender, who has played for Scotland Under-21s but remains eligible for England Under-21s, is out of contract at the end of the season but is confident a new deal will be sorted out. He told me that he is happy to let his agent sort it out while he focuses on improving Reading's position.

The club's current predicament must be painful for Reading supporters after the golden era under Coppell but Pearce is adamant that morale remains high within the squad.

"The spirit in the camp is brilliant and all the lads get on well," he said.

"Without a doubt there is an undoubted amount of ability in our group of players - it is just getting the right blend with youth and experience and the manager will get that right."

And when I asked Pearce where he saw himself in five years, he exhaled loudly and thought for a moment before smiling and remarking: "Captaining Reading in the Premier League wouldn't be bad - but I think we need to focus on the short-term first."

Link - http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletcher ... tml#158631

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Alex Pearce on the BBC.

by winchester_royal » 27 Oct 2009 16:57

Great guy, okay captain, rubbish footballer.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 27 Oct 2009 16:59

i think all of our defenders would benefit from long runs in the team
and alot of what is spouted on here about him is rubbish
hes not that bad- lacks pace- so should always be paired with a quicker defender............oh

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 27 Oct 2009 17:00

Still learning. Got the right attitude and a certain intelligence. He'll make a damn good living out of something he's supposedly rubbish at.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 27 Oct 2009 17:05

Can't John Terry give him a proper defensive coaching session rather than just texting him good luck messages?

Good write up though.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 27 Oct 2009 17:10

There's one comment on that article that roundly rubbishes Pearce. FFS, he's only 20, give him a chance to mature before criticising the poor lad!

On the other hand, last night, I was shocked, when two Leicester lads broke forward and Mills dashed along with them to try and cut out, to notice that Pearce was JOGGING behind and made not much attempt to catch up. Luckily enough, the Leicester forward on the ball failed to pass to his team mate and had his shot blocked. However, the ball did bounce out to the jogging Pearce, so it turned out so well. Still, I wouldn't like to see that sort of thing from a Reading centre back again.

Ferris
Hob Nob Regular

by Ferris » 27 Oct 2009 17:11

My main beef with that article is that it suggests that John Terry isn't an utter pcunt.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Oct 2009 17:14

I like Pearce, he could do with a quick skillful player next to him. But he has a lot of promise for a 20 year old central defender.

Interestingly under Pearce's captaincy we've let in 12 goals in 9 games (1.33/game)
Under Ivar's we've let in 9 goals in 4.5 games (2.00/game)

And Pearce is our centreback with the best conceeded per 90 minutes on the pitch ratio.

Cotswold Royal

by Cotswold Royal » 27 Oct 2009 17:30

Better than he appears right now, in my opinion. He is playing is a team that really lacks confidence and he could definately do with a quick centre half next to him.

But (Englands) John Terry, oh dear......probably the most overated defender for many years. He is constantly out of position which is why so many of his challenges are "last ditch". Having met him a couple of times I can also confirm that he is an arse.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 27 Oct 2009 17:36

Cotswold Royal Better than he appears right now, in my opinion. He is playing is a team that really lacks confidence and he could definately do with a quick centre half next to him.

But (Englands) John Terry, oh dear......probably the most overated defender for many years. He is constantly out of position which is why so many of his challenges are "last ditch". Having met him a couple of times I can also confirm that he is an arse.

+1

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 27 Oct 2009 17:42

winchester_royal Great guy, okay captain, rubbish footballer.

+1

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 27 Oct 2009 17:59

Ian Royal I like Pearce, he could do with a quick skillful player next to him. But he has a lot of promise for a 20 year old central defender.

Interestingly under Pearce's captaincy we've let in 12 goals in 9 games (1.33/game)
Under Ivar's we've let in 9 goals in 4.5 games (2.00/game)

And Pearce is our centreback with the best conceeded per 90 minutes on the pitch ratio.

Spot on.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 28 Oct 2009 00:56

Could do without the added pressure of captain at such a young age where he's still learning his trade i feel.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 28 Oct 2009 01:05

LOL at people calling him rubbish for a defender at his age. The lack of footballing knowledge from some on here frightening.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 28 Oct 2009 01:22

FiNeRaIn LOL at people calling him rubbish for a defender at his age. The lack of footballing knowledge from some on here frightening.

Can't run + Can't head straight + Easily turned = Bad defender.

He may improve as he plays more games, but ATM he just isn't very good.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 28 Oct 2009 02:47

FiNeRaIn LOL at people calling him rubbish for a defender at his age. The lack of footballing knowledge from some on here frightening.

you think he is going to get faster as he gets older?

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 28 Oct 2009 03:13

The whole year inn

Just watch Bolt get slower....oh.

You can increase pace, even at the debilitating age of 20.....

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 28 Oct 2009 03:23

Tails
The whole year inn

Just watch Bolt get slower....oh.

You can increase pace, even at the debilitating age of 20.....

Slow and immobile at 20 = slower and ever more immobile @ 25

Ryn

by Ryn » 28 Oct 2009 07:10

You can't polish a turd.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 28 Oct 2009 07:38

Pearce is a good communicator, he is good player and could go onto bigger things. However he still has a fair amount to learn. Like a lot of the youngsters in the squad he would benefit greatly from a more stable playing atmosphere and a little confidence amongst the players.