Matejovsky

Cotswold Royal

Matejovsky

by Cotswold Royal » 27 Oct 2009 17:43

What is the score with this guy? I thought he was good last night and produced some sublime passes that many others in the team can only dream of. But again, he also gave the ball away on a number of occasions. Typically, the answer on here is that he gives the ball away because he is so much better than any of the other players. I am not sure I buy that argument as a smart player would surely play to the strengths of the rest of the team.

The other thing is that he was clearly not rated particularly highly by Coppell given the number of times Coppell chose not to play him and the same could be said by Rodgers. So, why is it that a former International player of high quality is struggling to force his way into the most mediocre Reading team of recent years?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Matejovsky

by Royalee » 27 Oct 2009 17:47

Matejovsky and Bikey started 5 games in the same side the season we went down, we amassed 10 points from those games.

Marek will always create plenty of chances and is the most intelligent of all our players, he just needs a good holding player in the same team, like Karacan.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 27 Oct 2009 17:50

Ideal I think this has all been summarized before.
Good player. Inconsistent. Lacking fitness. Uncommitted. Flatters to deceive. Gifts ball away too much. Makes wrong choices.
Having said that, he is still probably the best midfielder we have right now, and Rodgers still hasn't really used him this season.

I lost count of the number of times Gunnarsson and Cisse gave the ball away and made wrong choices at QPR and the former can't even last 90 minutes.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 27 Oct 2009 17:51

Royalee Matejovsky and Bikey started 5 games in the same side the season we went down, we amassed 10 points from those games.

Marek will always create plenty of chances and is the most intelligent of all our players, he just needs a good holding player in the same team, like Karacan.

Spot on! It would also help if our forward(s) tried to find some space as our movement off the ball is quite poor.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Oct 2009 18:04

Marek is a bit of a luxury player and really needs a good athletic defensive player who can pass next to him, plus lots of movement and awareness from the strikers and wingers.

Best game I've seen from him last night.

Cotswold Royal

by Cotswold Royal » 27 Oct 2009 18:07

Absolutely right, I think we missed a big opportunity not using Bikey in a DM role more often. he may have been a loon but he was a quick, intelligent footballer.
With regard to Matejovsky, I just think it is sad that either we cannot find a consistent place for him or he cannot be arsed. At 27 he should be at the peak of his powers but he spends most of his time on the bench for a poor Championship team. I wonder if it is us or him who is at fault?
Unfortunately, if I had to guess I would guess that the problem must lie with him. I am damn sure Rodgers would love the idea of a committed, fit and talented midfielder as an option right now!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 27 Oct 2009 18:17

just his ability to not lose the ball when under close pressure/tackling made up for any passes that go astray in comparison to our other options IMO
the blokes close control is awesome, and puts all of our players, and english football to shame

but he had upped his game a bit last night

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 27 Oct 2009 18:42

Royalee

Yep - I'd love to see him line up in the middle with Karacan or preferably Tabb, with their job to protect him

i really dont like Brian Howard - pie boy number 2

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 27 Oct 2009 18:56

Ideal Uncommitted.

I cannot get my head around this argument at all.

How can a player who gets booked every game he plays be uncommitted? The reason he gets booked is for persistent fouls, which are caused because his teammates don't do their fair share in many cases (see last night for example) so he has to tare around the pitch trying to win the ball back which isn't really his job.

Last night he was dropping deeper and deeper to get the ball as the game wore on, simply because his teammates didn't have the legs or the quality to bring it forward and give it to him in the area of the pitch that he is at his most dangerous.

Nearly everything good came through him yesterday, and he always tried to get on the ball whether it be the first minute or the last, so where are you coming from?

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 27 Oct 2009 18:57

'greed

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 27 Oct 2009 18:57

He's a top player, everyone can see that from last nights performance, as at times he just strolled around the midfield. Needs someone like Karacan in the middle with who will do all the dirty work.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 27 Oct 2009 18:57

Best player on the pitch last night.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 27 Oct 2009 18:59

Ideal I think this has all been summarized before.
Good player. Inconsistent. Lacking fitness. Uncommitted. Flatters to deceive. Gifts ball away too much. Makes wrong choices.
Having said that, he is still probably the best midfielder we have right now, and Rodgers still hasn't really used him this season.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Uncommitted. Did you not see him running back to make important interceptions and trying to tackle lasnite. he did give the ball away about 5 times but the rest of his passes were sublime, and he was unlucky that the receiver was too shite to do anything with it. I do agree with one of the other posters that a holding midfielder behind him would work wonders.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 27 Oct 2009 19:00

rg6royal He's a top player, everyone can see that from last nights performance, as at times he just strolled around the midfield. Needs someone like Karacan in the middle with who will do all the dirty work.

Which dumbfounded me as to why he was on the bench last night and didn't start.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 27 Oct 2009 19:02

royalexile
rg6royal He's a top player, everyone can see that from last nights performance, as at times he just strolled around the midfield. Needs someone like Karacan in the middle with who will do all the dirty work.

Which dumbfounded me as to why he was on the bench last night and didn't start.

My thoughts exactly. Howard moved to the left as Mcanuff keeps dissapearing from games at the wrong time.

Finchley Royal

by Finchley Royal » 27 Oct 2009 19:02

I'm pretty sure that a large proportion of his bookings are earned as a result of his frustration shortly after giving the ball away, rather than because he's especially committed.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 27 Oct 2009 19:05

Finchley Royal I'm pretty sure that a large proportion of his bookings are earned as a result of his frustration shortly after giving the ball away, rather than because he's especially committed.

he was booked for persistently fouling, as have most of his bookings.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 27 Oct 2009 19:17

Thomas L'Heureux
Ideal Uncommitted.

I cannot get my head around this argument at all.

How can a player who gets booked every game he plays be uncommitted? The reason he gets booked is for persistent fouls, which are caused because his teammates don't do their fair share in many cases (see last night for example) so he has to tare around the pitch trying to win the ball back which isn't really his job.

Last night he was dropping deeper and deeper to get the ball as the game wore on, simply because his teammates didn't have the legs or the quality to bring it forward and give it to him in the area of the pitch that he is at his most dangerous.

Nearly everything good came through him yesterday, and he always tried to get on the ball whether it be the first minute or the last, so where are you coming from?

He gets booked coz he cant tackle and is always that little bit late getting there not because he is putting in some heoric shift to cover for his team mates

I dont question his commitment, or his work rate actually, or his bravery. Its just as committed and brave to want the ball all the time to take on the mantle of creating something rather than run around lumping the opposition

He hasnt played as much as many would like because he gives the ball away too much and hasnt really created much in return

Had a good game last night though, and I think he should be the team this side needs to be built around

Finchley Royal

by Finchley Royal » 27 Oct 2009 19:19

Plymouth_Royal
Finchley Royal I'm pretty sure that a large proportion of his bookings are earned as a result of his frustration shortly after giving the ball away, rather than because he's especially committed.

he was booked for persistently fouling, as have most of his bookings.

Not sure why you've quoted my post tbf.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 27 Oct 2009 19:24

Southbank Old Boy He gets booked coz he cant tackle and is always that little bit late getting there not because he is putting in some heoric shift to cover for his team mates

I dont question his commitment, or his work rate actually, or his bravery. Its just as committed and brave to want the ball all the time to take on the mantle of creating something rather than run around lumping the opposition

He hasnt played as much as many would like because he gives the ball away too much and hasnt really created much in return

Had a good game last night though, and I think he should be the team this side needs to be built around

I'm not suggesting he makes a heroic effort, I'm merely countering the notion that he's uncommitted.

Plus I'd much rather someone give the ball away playing positively and making forward passes than give the ball away for being generally not good enough at the basics.