Matejovsky

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Matejovsky

by RoyalBlue » 27 Oct 2009 19:31

As I've said in one of the other threads, if you want to win the lottery you have to buy a ticket. Marek is a midfielder who is prepared to buy plenty of tickets. So what if a lot of his tickets don't win (passes don't reach their target), at least we've got a chance of hitting the jackpot whilst he is playing.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Oct 2009 19:39

RoyalBlue As I've said in one of the other threads, if you want to win the lottery you have to buy a ticket. Marek is a midfielder who is prepared to buy plenty of tickets. So what if a lot of his tickets don't win (passes don't reach their target), at least we've got a chance of hitting the jackpot whilst he is playing.

the complaint about Marek giving the ball away is never about defence splitting passes that don't come off, but easy passes to team mates that he puts straight at an opposing player or out of touch.

To force your crap analagy to tae this into account it means he buys loads of tickets and throws half a dozen away without looking at them each game.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 27 Oct 2009 21:38

Thomas L'Heureux
Southbank Old Boy He gets booked coz he cant tackle and is always that little bit late getting there not because he is putting in some heoric shift to cover for his team mates

I dont question his commitment, or his work rate actually, or his bravery. Its just as committed and brave to want the ball all the time to take on the mantle of creating something rather than run around lumping the opposition

He hasnt played as much as many would like because he gives the ball away too much and hasnt really created much in return

Had a good game last night though, and I think he should be the team this side needs to be built around

I'm not suggesting he makes a heroic effort, I'm merely countering the notion that he's uncommitted.

Plus I'd much rather someone give the ball away playing positively and making forward passes than give the ball away for being generally not good enough at the basics.

Yeah. He was committed and not long after getting booked he was back making a good tackle on the edge of our box.

I personally think that by and large when he gives the ball away it's because he's trying difficult balls AND SOMETIMES people don't make the runs that as a creative midfielder you would be expecting forwards to make when you've got the ball.

Every now and then he does a cisse/gunnarsson and plays a ball straight to the oppo with an under hit or misdirected pass, but more often than not it's the through balls or difficult passes that are going astray or getting intercepted.

As has been said you need to buy tickets to win the lottery. The same with shooting. Was nice to see a couple of long range efforts being put in even if they didn't hit the back of the net.

If he gets more game time I'd be surprised not to see the odd silly mistakes cut down and the percentage of completed 'difficult' passes increasing.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Oct 2009 21:49

I don't complain when Marek makes an attacking pass that doesn't quite come off.

I do moan when he plays a ball straight out of touch or to the opposition when even I could have made the pass, or when his through balls are made for absolutely no one.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 27 Oct 2009 22:01

Ian Royal 1. I don't complain when Marek makes an attacking pass that doesn't quite come off.

2. I do moan when he plays a ball straight out of touch or to the opposition when even I could have made the pass, or

3. when his through balls are made for absolutely no one.

1 Obviously i agree

2 Agreed - But as i say i put that down to him being rusty. I think we don't expect him to make such glaring mistakes because we know what kind of passes he's capable of. Other players who get so little game time would probably get away with it.

3 Personally I don't get as annoyed about this as it happens all the time. Even players in the prem do it. It is annoying to see but sometimes you think you see someone jink to make a run and they pull out and you end up looking like a mug or you just play it hoping/expecting the run to be made... and again you end up looking like a mug. And if the striker predicts it you've got an opening.

Cotswold Royal

by Cotswold Royal » 27 Oct 2009 22:40

Interesting that the majority of the replys still seem to infer that he is committed and that he possibly tries a little too much a little too often. There must be something else though as our Managers still don't seem to rate him.

I wholeheartedly agree that he needs to be given licence to play and should have either Karacan or Tabb around him to mop up. Why doesn't BR see that???! :twisted:

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 27 Oct 2009 22:44

Cotswold Royal Interesting that the majority of the replys still seem to infer that he is committed and that he possibly tries a little too much a little too often. There must be something else though as our Managers still don't seem to rate him.

I wholeheartedly agree that he needs to be given licence to play and should have either Karacan or Tabb around him to mop up. Why doesn't BR see that???! :twisted:

Shades of Caskey. And I said of Caskey we will never win anything with him in the team. I will now say the same of Marek. We will not achieve anything of note with Marek in the side.

Cotswold Royal

by Cotswold Royal » 27 Oct 2009 22:48

God you're right, definate shades of Caskey (other than being about 3 stone lighter). Clearly SC did not see the consistent need for him. But in our current predicament I think we have nothing to lose and should give him a run in the team. I don't (unfortunately) see too many alternatives.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 28 Oct 2009 00:31

Matejovsky did well, despite a few mistakes. But don't get carried away. He's no more "the answer" than anyone else.

If there's one thing that infuriates me on HN it's the number of people who hone in on individuals--as if they are the problem or the answer. It's a team game. A good team can contain some individually weak members, but an excellent player cannot save a weak team. Coppell's teams always contained some weak players individually. The team must gel, and there were signs of it coming last night.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 28 Oct 2009 08:44

Terminal Boardom
Cotswold Royal Interesting that the majority of the replys still seem to infer that he is committed and that he possibly tries a little too much a little too often. There must be something else though as our Managers still don't seem to rate him.

Shades of Caskey. And I said of Caskey we will never win anything with him in the team. I will now say the same of Marek. We will not achieve anything of note with Marek in the side.

Bloody hell, how JM would splash out (well £50 at least!) to have Caskey's goals in the current set up.

We were never going to win anything with Caskey in the team because he was surrounded by thick as shyte (in both general and football intelligence terms) low ability, lower league players!

Marek faces much the same problem. Too many of his team-mates don't think at the same level as him and therefore frequently fail to make the runs/moves into areas where an intelligent player will be trying to place the ball in order to open up the opposition. When they do get there they lack the ability to hit a cow's backside! Of course Marek could be told to play the easy and obvious passes but don't then expect us to crack open tight defences.

Ryn

by Ryn » 28 Oct 2009 08:49

Thomas L'Heureux
Ideal Uncommitted.

I cannot get my head around this argument at all.

How can a player who gets booked every game he plays be uncommitted? The reason he gets booked is for persistent fouls, which are caused because his teammates don't do their fair share in many cases (see last night for example) so he has to tare around the pitch trying to win the ball back which isn't really his job.

Last night he was dropping deeper and deeper to get the ball as the game wore on, simply because his teammates didn't have the legs or the quality to bring it forward and give it to him in the area of the pitch that he is at his most dangerous.

Nearly everything good came through him yesterday, and he always tried to get on the ball whether it be the first minute or the last, so where are you coming from?

Great post. I like you.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 28 Oct 2009 11:36

Ideal I think this has all been summarized before.
Good player. Inconsistent. Lacking fitness. Uncommitted. Flatters to deceive. Gifts ball away too much. Makes wrong choices.
Having said that, he is still probably the best midfielder we have right now, and Rodgers still hasn't really used him this season.

Don't forget the niggling fouls he commits.

AF1
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Ya got guns, got guns too, what up son, do you wanna battle for cash and see who Sun Tzu?

by AF1 » 28 Oct 2009 11:40

facaldaqui Matejovsky did well, despite a few mistakes. But don't get carried away. He's no more "the answer" than anyone else.

If there's one thing that infuriates me on HN it's the number of people who hone in on individuals--as if they are the problem or the answer. It's a team game. A good team can contain some individually weak members, but an excellent player cannot save a weak team. Coppell's teams always contained some weak players individually. The team must gel, and there were signs of it coming last night.

dont want to sally the waters or hooker myself a tongue lashing from the masses but marek looked pretty prdinary monday night imo

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 28 Oct 2009 12:06

Attacking midfielders give the ball away because they are there to take risks.

Watch how many times the top players in the Prem give the ball away when attempting defence splitting passes.

If they all came off then games would finish 20 all!

He sometimes dallies on the ball if the movement's not there ahead of him so that also makes him look frustrating but he's definitely the best midfielder at the club.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 28 Oct 2009 12:11

AF1 dont want to sally the waters or hooker myself a tongue lashing from the masses but marek looked pretty prdinary monday night imo

LOL!!! Are you trying to hook something here?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Oct 2009 12:14

Super Kevin Bremner! Attacking midfielders give the ball away because they are there to take risks.

Watch how many times the top players in the Prem give the ball away when attempting defence splitting passes.

If they all came off then games would finish 20 all!

He sometimes dallies on the ball if the movement's not there ahead of him so that also makes him look frustrating but he's definitely the best midfielder at the club.

HOW MANY MORE TIMES YOU IRRITATING MORONS! (not directed soley at you SKB)

The complaint is that he makes far too many loose SIMPLE passes that are given away. NOT that he loses the ball with attacking passes, that is expected to a certain extent.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 28 Oct 2009 12:23

Barry the bird boggler
Ideal I think this has all been summarized before.
Good player. Inconsistent. Lacking fitness. Uncommitted. Flatters to deceive. Gifts ball away too much. Makes wrong choices.
Having said that, he is still probably the best midfielder we have right now, and Rodgers still hasn't really used him this season.

Don't forget the niggling fouls he commits.

They're not niggling, as that implies nastiness - they're just incompetent. He cannot time a tackle to save his life, in fact a lot of the timehis idea of tackling is to jump into the player. It's virtually guaranteed that he'll get a yellow most games, and a fair few reds.

That doesn't make him a bad player or say he shouldn't be playing, though - it's just something that mitigates against him as it means when he plays we are under-strength defensively in midfield.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Oct 2009 12:25

Thought he's got better in the challenge since he came to us.

I've actually seen him win the ball legally several times this season. :shock:

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 28 Oct 2009 12:42

I'm surprised no one's ever mentioned his own official website: http://www.marek-matejovsky.cz/

It's in Czech but a simple google translator will work.

His latest news story is translated as:

Marek Matejovsky last week on Wednesday gave a very good performance in the reserve team Reading FC and immediately provoked debate as to why Mark does not play the first team. After four failures in a row is Coach Rodger under great pressure, both by management and by the Reading FC fans, and therefore further Matejovsky game called Mark, who very rarely put on the A team matches. Reading FC today to welcome home the men Liecester City, which occupies the tenth position in the table.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 28 Oct 2009 12:50

I was there at Elm Park I'm surprised no one's ever mentioned his own official website: http://www.marek-matejovsky.cz/

It's in Czech but a simple google translator will work.

His latest news story is translated as:

Marek Matejovsky last week on Wednesday gave a very good performance in the reserve team Reading FC and immediately provoked debate as to why Mark does not play the first team. After four failures in a row is Coach Rodger under great pressure, both by management and by the Reading FC fans, and therefore further Matejovsky game called Mark, who very rarely put on the A team matches. Reading FC today to welcome home the men Liecester City, which occupies the tenth position in the table.

What sort of translater can't even get his first name right? :wink: