10 things we hope Brendan has learnt so far

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

Re: 10 things we hope Brendan has learnt so far

by BR2 » 03 Nov 2009 13:17

Sun Tzu
Mad Dog's Ghost A centre back was on the shopping list.

But f me, £2m! Nearly two thirds of the entire budget.I really hope Mills turns into the stand out player that sum should secure, but I've not seen a huge amount of evidence yet.

Your maths seems a bit off.

Mills may have accounted for a large amount of what we spent in terms of transfer fees but you can't have any idea what proportion of our budget he accounted for, remember we had £1.8 million set aside to pay for Smith which didn't get spent.

I do hope that £1.8 million is still set aside for the purchase of a new striker in January (either by the other BR or our new manager)and has not been invested in even more infrastrucure that nobody can see. :wink:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 03 Nov 2009 13:19

Sun Tzu Whereas I'd argue Coppell was perhaps the most honest and open manager we've ever had ! Whilst he disliked the media his comments were usually pretty straight and easy for those who know the club to understand !

Rodgers seems to think too much about what he says without actually having much to say - so it comes across as rather contrived.

To suggest anyone cares more about the club than Coppell is probably unsupportable.

My stance on it is that whilst sometimes you'd get the odd bit of dry wit from Coppell, he'd never really open up for fear of leaving himself open to criticism with regards to his methods and would often talk things down. Rodgers has done the opposite and where you refer to him thinking about his responses, I agree he thinks more about them, but for all the right reasons as he wants to try and put forward his full thoughts on every situation - you always felt that Coppell was holding it back (or I did anyway).

I'd suggest Coppell's keenness to walk away at the first sight of trouble like when we went down and again last year instead of doing the strong thing like Rodgers, taking the flack head on and going about tackling the problem shows he didn't care as much. Of course he cared about the club to some degree, but Rodgers has basically built his career here and will fight to the death for us which Coppell has never done at any club he's been at.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 03 Nov 2009 13:22

No Fixed Abode He's not working with the calibre of player that he did with watford and Chelsea.

Just about give you Chelsea but poor WUM attempt re Watford

And clearly he's actually working with 4 players that he worked with at those clubs.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 Nov 2009 13:25

I'd suggest Coppell's keenness to walk away at the first sight of trouble like when we went down and again last year instead of doing the strong thing like Rodgers, taking the flack head on and going about tackling the problem shows he didn't care as much. Of course he cared about the club to some degree, but Rodgers has basically built his career here and will fight to the death for us which Coppell has never done at any club he's been at.

you sir are a high order cockend.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 03 Nov 2009 13:28

Royalee
My stance on it is that whilst sometimes you'd get the odd bit of dry wit from Coppell, he'd never really open up for fear of leaving himself open to criticism with regards to his methods and would often talk things down. Rodgers has done the opposite and where you refer to him thinking about his responses, I agree he thinks more about them, but for all the right reasons as he wants to try and put forward his full thoughts on every situation - you always felt that Coppell was holding it back (or I did anyway).

Well Coppell gave way, way more than the odd bit of dry wit ! He just didn't spoon feed it like most managers do.

Not sure why you think Coppell walked away at any point. He battled through tough times early on, was honest enough to need time to assess whether he could add anything after relegation but spent a long time here producing great success.
Rodgers hasn;t built his career here. He started it here but Chelsea was where his career flourished and his key years were not spent with us. We have no idea whether he has the stomach for a long term fight, you are inveting 'facts' to support a preconceived argument ! I like the fact that Rodgers has a history with us and hope it helps with his progress but Coppell has been here, done it and got the tshirt whereas Rodgers has barely got his toe in the water. A long way for him to go yet to be classed anywhere close to Coppell !!

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 03 Nov 2009 13:36

Maguire
Wycombe Royal
Forbury Lion so says some moron who thinks he should come onto a public messageboard where members are invited to voice their opinions and have adult discussions and find everyone keeping silent and simply agreeing with his point of view. If you don't enjoy it, then don't read it, don't respond to it and just STAY THE **** AWAY.

You Spacey are a dumbass, too thick to hold a sensible debate with someone whose views you disagree with, All you can do is be obnoxious and rude by using words such as twat and moron. Now you obviously have first hand experience of being a moron but I doubt you'd recognise a twat if you fell head first into a bucket full of them. So please keep your opinions to yourself and don't bother responding by calling me a gaylord or doofus as it will only serve to further enforce my views.

Can I be the first to say that we should all gives Forbes a huge round of applause for that (maybe even a standing ovation and a place in the Hall of Fame as well).........

Amen brother

Ban him!!!

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 03 Nov 2009 13:38

brendywendy

you sir are a high order cockend.

Why has brendy not been subjected to a bilious out pouring similar to that directed at Spacey ?

I detect Spacism at work here and it is sickening.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 Nov 2009 13:44

cockend

spaceyism is like being anti welsh/scots
and totally acceptable in polite society

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 03 Nov 2009 13:45

Coppell didn't have the fans on his back right away like Rodgers did at QPR where he got a lot of abuse given the short time he's been in charge.

Obviously the Chelsea experience will have helped Rodgers, but he was obviously doing a lot of good (as we are seeing now from some of our academy prospects which he was involved in bringing to the club in his first spell here) to get such a job in the first place given his relatively modest background. Of course Brendan's not got the sort of experience Coppell has (but that didn't appear to have much of a benefit when it came to turning around poor form in the last two seasons), but he certainly has got something about him and I like that - judging by how the squad have taken to him and the high spirits despite the slow start, they can see it too.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 03 Nov 2009 13:50

brendywendy cockend

spaceyism is like being anti welsh/scots
and totally acceptable in polite society

You are right.

I'd not thought it through !

Carry on.....

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 Nov 2009 13:53

'gree with that

if we can continue to build, i can see him taking us up, ramming the boos down the twats throats, rebuilding the side with a load of our own academy products, and therefore surpassing coppell in his legendary status.
he just has to beat ipswich on saturday first.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 03 Nov 2009 14:14

European qualification would be great.
Where we are now, to there, is an almighty chasm.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 03 Nov 2009 14:17

readingbedding European qualification would be great.

Not really, FA cup win this season and Bob's your uncle.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 03 Nov 2009 14:17

Royalee Coppell didn't have the fans on his back right away like Rodgers did at QPR where he got a lot of abuse given the short time he's been in charge.

Obviously the Chelsea experience will have helped Rodgers, but he was obviously doing a lot of good (as we are seeing now from some of our academy prospects which he was involved in bringing to the club in his first spell here) to get such a job in the first place given his relatively modest background. Of course Brendan's not got the sort of experience Coppell has (but that didn't appear to have much of a benefit when it came to turning around poor form in the last two seasons), but he certainly has got something about him and I like that - judging by how the squad have taken to him and the high spirits despite the slow start, they can see it too.

Back in mindless optimist mode I see. Nice to what one positive result (albeit against a severely weakened tea) can do.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 03 Nov 2009 14:21

wolsey
Back in mindless optimist mode I see. Nice to what one positive result (albeit against a severely weakened tea) can do.

If Royalee is a mindless optimist it's a whole lot better position to be than just mindless....

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular

by wolsey » 03 Nov 2009 14:25

Sun Tzu
wolsey

If Royalee is a mindless optimist it's a whole lot better position to be than just mindless....

Of course, it's always good to have something to hang your mindlessness on.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 03 Nov 2009 14:27

wolsey
Royalee Coppell didn't have the fans on his back right away like Rodgers did at QPR where he got a lot of abuse given the short time he's been in charge.

I like my tea reasonably strong with milk and one sugar.

We've had arguably our best striker out injured, our captain injured for most of the season, our most creative player not fully fit until recently, our best winger injured in McAnuff and a complete overhaul - is that not a severely weakened team?

Mindless optimism is saying 'we will stay up because there are three worse teams than us' or 'we'll go back up to the Premiership as champions because our players from last year will magically improve without us doing anything' as we saw from many on here in the last two years. Please do not confuse that with my own views, which are that the quality of football is improving along with the consistency of the team, our signings have been positive, we are creating more chances and as a result of all of this we will be fine.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular

by wolsey » 03 Nov 2009 14:32

Royalee
wolsey

I like my tea reasonably strong with milk and one sugar.

We've had arguably our best striker out injured, our captain injured for most of the season, our most creative player not fully fit until recently, our best winger injured in McAnuff and a complete overhaul - is that not a severely weakened team?

Mindless optimism is saying 'we will stay up because there are three worse teams than us' or 'we'll go back up to the Premiership as champions because our players from last year will magically improve without us doing anything' as we saw from many on here in the last two years. Please do not confuse that with my own views, which are that the quality of football is improving along with the consistency of the team, our signings have been positive, we are creating more chances and as a result of all of this we will be fine.

So you take back the misgivings you had previous to the Leicester game then?

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 03 Nov 2009 14:41

Sun Tzu
readingbedding European qualification would be great.

Not really, FA cup win this season and Bob's your uncle.

Surely an FA Cup FINAL win means that European Qualification is guaranteed.
Whatever, winning a major trophy/European Qualification to where we are now is an almighty chasm.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 03 Nov 2009 14:42

Yes - as I said at the time, I was in full support of Rodgers until the Peterborough game when he was playing the likes of Pearce, Marek, Sigurdsson, Rasiak and Karacan. He then dropped them at the expense of our 'experienced pros' who were proven not to be good enough last year, our performances dropped and he appeared to have abandoned what he was setting out to do. I said that either he should go back to trying to play good football and what he did up until that point or leave. Thankfully he's gone back to the aforementioned players and surprise surprise we've picked up dramatically in terms of performance the last two games and it's heralded 3 points.