30 years ago today

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

Re: 30 years ago today

by PEARCEY » 03 Nov 2009 21:08

floyd__streete
Tony Le Mesmer 03/11/1979 - My 1st Reading match.

Brentford 2-2 Reading

Anyone else recall this game? Obviously anyone who started supporting us after this date is just a PLOLastic.

I was less than 2 weeks old at the time. I spat the dummy when I heard we'd only drawn at Griffin Park, mind.

So you haven't changed then Floyd :wink:

southstand67

by southstand67 » 03 Nov 2009 21:19

I'm such a plastic, my first match was later in November (25th??) 1979. Kettering Town at home in the FA Cup> Beat them 4- 2.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 03 Nov 2009 21:23

southstand67 I'm such a plastic, my first match was later in November (25th??) 1979. Kettering Town at home in the FA Cup> Beat them 4- 2.

We lost 4-1 at Swansea in the 4th round and Ollie Kearns scored only for the referee not to give it. Made the old bill panic that day by jogging back to the station. I started jogging and everyone else joined in. Plod shit themselves!

southstand67

by southstand67 » 03 Nov 2009 21:30

does anyone remember losing 2-1 to Huddersfield? Steve Woods scored a wicked own goal. 1981 or 82?

Aubery Boyce
Hob Nob Regular

by Aubery Boyce » 06 Nov 2009 09:13

25 Years Ago... Royals v New Zealand. George Best making his Reading debut! Bonfire Night 1984

2-1 loss for the Royals I think.. Beavon scored??

Followed by a fireworks display! probably my 2nd ever game. I think my dad took me to a league game a few weeks before. Was one of only 2 matches ever watched from the North Stand in about 200 Elm Park Appearances.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 06 Nov 2009 09:24

Aubery Boyce 25 Years Ago... Royals v New Zealand. George Best making his Reading debut! Bonfire Night 1984

2-1 loss for the Royals I think.. Beavon scored??

Followed by a fireworks display! probably my 2nd ever game. I think my dad took me to a league game a few weeks before. Was one of only 2 matches ever watched from the North Stand in about 200 Elm Park Appearances.

IIRC, Martin Peters also turned out for the Royals that night.

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 06 Nov 2009 11:59

Terminal Boardom
Ark Royal Getting seasons mixed up here. The Bruce Stuckey last minute equalizer direct from a corner at Griffin Park was in the 78/79 championship season.

Wrong again! Bruce Stuckey was 75/76.

Correct, it was Christmas 1975. I lived abroad at the time but came home for Christmas and went along to that game.

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 06 Nov 2009 12:12

wolsey
Sun Tzu Was it Gary Peters who broke his leg ?

Can;t imagine he left the pitch if he did mind you.

I can remember him injurying his leg at Portsmouth in the 70's - we were 2-0 up at the time and had used our sub(s). He was pushed up front and had a couple of decent chances - not sure his injury hindered him as his speed was deceptive.i.e. he was a lot slower than he looked.

As far as 2-2 at Griffin Park is concerned, the only one I can remember was when Bruce Stuckey equalised in the last minute direct from a corner - thought it was earlier than '79 though.

Griffin Park is, and always has been my favourite away Ground as well

I was at the game I think you are referring to at Fratton Park. It was Aug / Sept 1976. We had already used our sub (you were only allowed one in those days) when Gary Peters was badly fouled by Mick Mellows (a former Reading player).
Suffering a suspected fractured ankle, Gary was pushed forward to the right wing. He not only hobbled around and made a nuisance of himself for the rest of the match but scored our second goal when the Pompey keeper failed to hold a shot from John Murray.
Probably the bravest performance I ever saw from a Reading player.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 06 Nov 2009 12:31

Tilehurst Mike I was there and I'm sure it was John Alexander who scored 4 goals against Grimsby IIRC.
Have great affection for trips to Brentford--easy to get to and pubs at each corner of the ground selling good real ale. Always friendly banter with the locals and games by and large entertaining with a few goals. Relationships somewhat soured in recent years when we poached half their team!

I remember the Grimsby game-I took my son and his mate (It was possibly half-term)and his mate was really impressed and thought that John Alexander should have beeen playing for England.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Nov 2009 18:28

Terminal Boardom
Tony Le Mesmer 03/11/1979 - My 1st Reading match.

Brentford 2-2 Reading

My only recolections are my grandparents took me to the game, a Reading player breaking his leg and being in the home in with a Blue & White scarf that i still have today.

Now about 1000 Reading games on, 5 promotions and 4 relegations, Griffin Park is still my favourite ground.

Anyone else recall this game? Obviously anyone who started supporting us after this date is just a PLOLastic.

John Alexander broke his leg in the first game of the season AWAY to Brentford in a 2-2 draw. Stewart Henderson scored the first for Brentford with an og thus becoming the first player to score against Reading in 1106 minutes. I was stood in what was the main stand paddock at GP. I can't remember a thing about the home game.

The Henderson goal (the first we'd conceded in a million years) was at Elm Park - HTH

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 08 Nov 2009 18:48

Franchise FC The Henderson goal (the first we'd conceded in a million years) was at Elm Park - HTH

I acknowledged my mistake further up the thread Franchise :oops:

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Nov 2009 20:02

Terminal Boardom
Franchise FC The Henderson goal (the first we'd conceded in a million years) was at Elm Park - HTH

I'm too old to waste time reading a whole thread !! I usually forget what thread it was to start with.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 08 Nov 2009 21:25

The Brentford away game in 1985/6 was a good one - I think Peters scored in that game as well equalising in the first half and Trevor Senior got the winner right at the end of the game and up our end - he chested down a long throw and hooked the ball in to the far corner. I think it was one of the 13 wins at the start of the season.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 10 Nov 2009 21:12

Mid Sussex Royal The Brentford away game in 1985/6 was a good one - I think Peters scored in that game as well equalising in the first half and Trevor Senior got the winner right at the end of the game and up our end - he chested down a long throw and hooked the ball in to the far corner. I think it was one of the 13 wins at the start of the season.

Right game, wrong finish.

Martin Hicks headed on a long throw and TS volleyed in first time. It was the 7th game in the run.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 10 Nov 2009 21:28

Franchise FC
Terminal Boardom

I'm too old to waste time reading a whole thread !! I usually forget what thread it was to start with.

What is this thread about anyway?

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 10 Nov 2009 21:30

Mid Sussex Royal The Brentford away game in 1985/6 was a good one - I think Peters scored in that game as well equalising in the first half and Trevor Senior got the winner right at the end of the game and up our end - he chested down a long throw and hooked the ball in to the far corner. I think it was one of the 13 wins at the start of the season.

TS was rumoured to be on his way to Norwich. I was there that night and I did not see the winner hit the back of the net. I just went hatstand with everyone else!

Talking of Brentford away, Joe Allon. 1993/94. oxf*rd. Nuff said!

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 10 Nov 2009 22:45

Joe Allon. Cnt.

I went through the kids turnstile for £5 that day to avoid the lock out. i was 22. 8)

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 10 Nov 2009 22:48

Tony Le Mesmer Joe Allon. Cnt.

I went through the kids turnstile for £5 that day to avoid the lock out. i was 22. 8)

The game Blackie wa locked out. I was in the New Inn with Ark Royal and I suggested at about 2.20 that it might be an idea to go into the ground. Just as well that we left when we did. There have not been that many occasions where the ground was decalred full because we had filled the away end - and all this before match tickets!

Joe Allon = cnt!

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 10 Nov 2009 22:56

I mate of mine once bumped into Joe Allon drinking with Dennis Wise in a London Bar. He went up to them and asked for Joe Allon's autograph, like he was Pele. Completely ignored Dennis. lol.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 10 Nov 2009 23:03

Tony Le Mesmer I mate of mine once bumped into Joe Allon drinking with Dennis Wise in a London Bar. He went up to them and asked for Joe Allon's autograph, like he was Pele. Completely ignored Dennis. lol.

Ark Royal and I bumped into Nigel Kennedy in Frankham Services on the M5. He was on his way to watch the Villa against QPR. We were on our way to watch a 1-1 draw at Wolves where Geordie scored. We were in our hoops. He asked if we were QPR fans. He was met with an appropriate response of...

"Fuck off, we're Reading!"

He said "Oh. Who are you playing today then?" He didn't bat an eyelid!