Non - League thread 2009/10

725 posts
Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Non - League thread 2009/10

by Tony Le Mesmer » 02 Nov 2009 16:01

Four Of Clubs
AndyRFC The team "drink" down at the Bull and Chequers at Woodley, not so sure about the Wee Waif!

... probably me just mixing up Woodley Pubs

Thats very easily done. They are all absolute shit.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 02 Nov 2009 19:12

The Wee Waif is an absolutely appaling pub too, but probably a step up for most Woodley residents for whom a meal at a Hungry Horse is living the (comparative) high life.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 02 Nov 2009 21:31

floyd__streete The Wee Waif is an absolutely appaling pub too, but probably a step up for most Woodley residents for whom a meal at a Hungry Horse is living the (comparative) high life.

Oi, there's nowt wrong with Woodley!

Apart from the absolutely dire pubs. In an occasionally recurring dream I win the lottery and turn the Thatchers into the top pub it really should be. After shipping out the majority of the local clientele/out on licencers, natch.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Nov 2009 22:32

W&E won 2-1 against Thatcham tonight to retain undefeated start in the league and move 4 points clear.

Similar pattern to recent games, poor 1st half with lots of aimless / hopeful punts to our pretty diminutive strike pairing giving little cause for concern to the oppo defence. Then a different story in the 2nd half when we kept the passes flowing and looked worthy table toppers. 2 cracking goals just after the hour gave a comfortable lead which, despite a late consolation for Thatcham, never looked in much danger.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 04 Nov 2009 11:14

Royal Rother W&E won 2-1 against Thatcham tonight to retain undefeated start in the league and move 4 points clear.

2 cracking goals just after the hour gave a comfortable lead which, despite a late consolation for Thatcham, never looked in much danger.

... I popped along to this one - first time back after 12 years - can't say I saw much difference - side opposite the main stand looks a bit different - can remember it being open to fields etc.

- agree the game was incredibly dull for the first half but livened up a bit 2nd half.

Two good finishes but the first goal came from a comedy moment involving Paul Strudley - ex-Town keeper (?) (and a few others I think - AFC Wallingford).

Horrendous miss of a firm back-pass led to the corner for the opener - good controlled volley on the back post. Second goal was possibly down to his lack of height - well-placed free header from a cross a bigger keeper may have come and cleaned out.

Not convinced by W&E though - as you say need a bit more variety up front - shame Scotty's hung up his boots :wink: - could be worth prising the lad Bird away from Burnham - though they've probably got ambitions of their own this season and wouldn't want to let him go?

... and WHAT's with the Attendance figure? - 110 !!
- my half-@rsed head-count made it nearer 170 :? - must have a lot of officials/free-loaders?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Last Nights' Results elsewhere:
Abingdon Utd 3-1 Nor Lye
Marlow 2-2 Stourport
Slough 1-0 Woodford
Uxbridge 3-4 AFC Totton
Wantage 1-0 Abingdon T
Highworth 1-1 Witney
Reading T. 3-0 Bicester
Sandhurst 2-3 Cove

FAT Replays - next round - 3rd Qualifying - on 21st Nov
Hungerford T 3-0 Yate - [A v Boreham Wood]
Burnham 2-1 Croydon Athletic [A v Worcester City]
Banbury Utd 1-3 Godalming [H v Arlesey]

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 04 Nov 2009 13:45

Would Reading Town be able to move up to the next tier level if they won the league?

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 04 Nov 2009 23:33

Compo's Hat Would Reading Town be able to move up to the next tier level if they won the league?

I'm sure they put themselves up for STEP04 assessment last season and might have passed - though bearing in mind their league position for most of the 08/09 season, I think a lot of the Hellenic community thought they were taking the p!ss! :lol:
I've looked at last season's NL Site and it appears that Reading Town are marked in RED - meaning they either failed the grading or withdrew their application.
Strangely enough Witney and Shortwood were 'marked' in the same way - can't believe Witney's 'Polythene Stadium' would have failed though?

Haven't been back to Scours yet this season but I know they would probably need a Tannoy system - and from a spectators viewpoint they didn't do any hot food last season - but I'm not sure it is specifically mentioned as part of the eligibility rules for Grade 'D' which is what a STEP04 club needs.

I think they are also supposed to have a second entrance/turnstile available but I know quite a few grounds in the Southern League that don't - or at least don't regularly use them - so maybe that's just for new entrants?
... actually just looked this up too and in fact for Grade D you are supposed to have three seperate 'turnstile operated' entrances - to 'control ingress' - so Scours would fall short there.

I would guess that they'll apply again this season and doubt if there's that much they'd need to do to pass - of course the trick'll be finishing where they are at the moment - I hear their squad is a bit stretched.

There are useful summaries of all the gradings available here - for anyone who has the time and inclination to read them! 8)

http://www.thepyramid.info/misc/ground.htm

... sleep well! :wink:

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 05 Nov 2009 00:27

Cheers Four of Clubs, think Reading Town has two turnstile entrances by the way.

Not sure if they've got enough seats in that little stand either.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 05 Nov 2009 08:02

Four Of Clubs
Compo's Hat Would Reading Town be able to move up to the next tier level if they won the league?

I'm sure they put themselves up for STEP04 assessment last season and might have passed - though bearing in mind their league position for most of the 08/09 season, I think a lot of the Hellenic community thought they were taking the p!ss! :lol:
I've looked at last season's NL Site and it appears that Reading Town are marked in RED - meaning they either failed the grading or withdrew their application.
Strangely enough Witney and Shortwood were 'marked' in the same way - can't believe Witney's 'Polythene Stadium' would have failed though?

Haven't been back to Scours yet this season but I know they would probably need a Tannoy system - and from a spectators viewpoint they didn't do any hot food last season - but I'm not sure it is specifically mentioned as part of the eligibility rules for Grade 'D' which is what a STEP04 club needs.

I think they are also supposed to have a second entrance/turnstile available but I know quite a few grounds in the Southern League that don't - or at least don't regularly use them - so maybe that's just for new entrants?
... actually just looked this up too and in fact for Grade D you are supposed to have three seperate 'turnstile operated' entrances - to 'control ingress' - so Scours would fall short there.

I would guess that they'll apply again this season and doubt if there's that much they'd need to do to pass - of course the trick'll be finishing where they are at the moment - I hear their squad is a bit stretched.

There are useful summaries of all the gradings available here - for anyone who has the time and inclination to read them! 8)

http://www.thepyramid.info/misc/ground.htm

... sleep well! :wink:

This is a great idea, but sadly everyone knows that the actual implemnetation of ground gradings is at best inconsistent and at worst corrupt to buggery.

As just one example, Kings Lynn were relegated from Conference North last season because their ground didn't meet the required standard when inspected, even though it did meet the standard completely by the time the next season started!

At the same time, Hampton & Richmond continue in Conference South despite having a ground which many supporters consider unsafe, and which is far, far below the stanadard at Kings Lynn! Many suggest the reason behind this is that Brian Barwick supports Hampton & Richmond.....

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 05 Nov 2009 09:13

Dirk Gently This is a great idea, but sadly everyone knows that the actual implemnetation of ground gradings is at best inconsistent and at worst corrupt to buggery.

... you've hit the nail squarely on the thumb there! :roll:

Another ridiculous situation was the S.Mids Premier end of last season: - Kentish Town ... who play in an Athletics Bowl (Barnet-Copthall) - miles from the actual area/borough (?) of 'Kentish Town', in front of barely a dozen people each week - that's when :-
a) the pitch is suitable - rarely is between Nov -> Feb
b) it's not being used for Athletics

... finished rock bottom and had a hefty points deduction for using unregistered players.
Berkhamstead had been kicked out of the same division for not paying the leccy bill - hence had no lights.
However KT were allowed to stay up :shock: and both Cockfosters AND Holmer Green (nr Wycombe) were demoted on Ground Grading rules.
I've been to both and couldn't see a lot wrong with either as far as STEP05 football goes.
Holmer G. apparently failed, amongst a few things - on number of seats - i.e. they didn't have the 100-200 covered seated stand - this for a team that barely scrapes a home average of 30!
KT were given a thumping big Sports Action Grant a couple of years back - and I think have close ties with @rsenal so I presume the FA would think it a bit silly to demote them. :?

RE Seating standards: I went to Binfield earlier this season - their shiny new stand, on a damp and soggy night, had about a doz. folks sitting in, that's from a crowd of well over a 100.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 05 Nov 2009 09:41

Didcot are in the shit regarding their ground, story in the Herald a month or two ago saying they need to raise £80,000 or so to put more seats, more standing in, backup floodlight system and also segreg8d home and away fans facilities.

Diddy really have ZERO money so God knows what they are going to do.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Nov 2009 10:41

Alan Partridge Didcot are in the shit regarding their ground, story in the Herald a month or two ago saying they need to raise £80,000 or so to put more seats, more standing in, backup floodlight system and also segreg8d home and away fans facilities.

Get demoted.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 05 Nov 2009 11:05

Stranded
Alan Partridge Didcot are in the shit regarding their ground, story in the Herald a month or two ago saying they need to raise £80,000 or so to put more seats, more standing in, backup floodlight system and also segreg8d home and away fans facilities.

Get demoted.

Said they will beg, borrow or steal the money to raise it, reckon the latter of the 3 is the most likely.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Nov 2009 12:29

Do hope they find it been a decent success down there in recent years

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 06 Nov 2009 10:23

This w/e's 'local' NL games :

FA Cup 1st Round Proper
Swinedon v Woking
Shrewsbury v Staines

CONFS
Basingstoke v St Alebuns
Chelmsford v Maidenhead
Lewes v H&R
...and the little matter of

Dover v Newport - could be fiery! :shock:

...to keep it brief(er) - lower down I've only shown 'our' sides playing at Home
SOUTHERN
Diddy v Evesham
Farnboro v Chippenham
One Midland
Burnham v Leighton
Sluff v Rothwell
One S & W
Abing. Utd v Bridgwater
Hungerford v Yate (repeat of this weeks Trophy replay)
Windsor & E v Bps Cleeve

Combined Counties Prem
Ash v Cove
Div One Cup
Eversley v South Park

Hellenic Prem
Binfield v Almondsbury T.
Reading T. v Abingdon T.
One East
Henley v Milton

... and real 'local' local Berks & Bucks Intermediate Cup

Finch. v Downley Albion
Faringdon v Woodley Town
Newbury v Harwell Village
Wok. & Emm. v Unity @ Lowther Rd NOT Cantley Pk KO 13:45

Yellowcoat

by Yellowcoat » 06 Nov 2009 14:24

Got my ticket for the FA Cup game Wealdstone v Rotherham on Sunday. May well be a chance of an upset.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 06 Nov 2009 14:30

Four Of Clubs Dover v Newport - could be fiery! :shock:

Forgive my ignorance, but why?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Nov 2009 22:49

Newport always seem to have a big away following, Dover have been pretty much unbeatable at home for the past two seasons......maybe?????

Reading Town 3-0 winners again today, opening up a 5 point gap at the top of the Hellenic

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 08 Nov 2009 00:23

AthleticoSpizz Newport always seem to have a big away following, Dover have been pretty much unbeatable at home for the past two seasons......maybe?????

Reading Town 3-0 winners again today, opening up a 5 point gap at the top of the Hellenic

Well what with the Board being phecked half way through typing a response to HH's query yesterday - then my own f@(£!ng BT Yahoo connxn hanging three times in quick succession this eve when trying to respond I was on the point of giving up! :x

- basically - segregation on Police advice following some aggro @ Woking last month - no Bar for exiles fans and my Exiles mate claiming all the 'homespun' nutters were going to make an effort to get to this one - I assumed it might get a bit feisty - no idea if there was trouble - haven't glanced on their messageboards yet.
Too busy re-booting my &*&^^% machine!

Newport won 2-1 crowd was 1680

.... elsewhere:

FA Cup 1st Round Proper
Swinedon v Woking 1-0
Shrewsbury v Staines 0-1 - a shock on a day with few real shocks

CONFS
Basingstoke v St Alebuns 1-1
Chelmsford v Maidenhead 1-1
Lewes v H&R 1-0

SOUTHERN
Diddy v Evesham 0-2
Farnboro v Chippenham 3-1
One Midland
Burnham v Leighton 1-1
Sluff v Rothwell 4-1
Marlow lost heavily @ Bedworth
One S & W
Abing. Utd v Bridgwater 0-0
Hungerford v Yate 4-1
Windsor & E v Bps Cleeve 2-1
Bracknell thumped 1-4 by VT FC
Thatcham lost at Mangotsfield

Combined Counties Prem
Ash v Cove 3-0
... away wins for Camberley & Chertsey - Sandhurst D2-2 @ Wembley
Div One Cup
Eversley v South Park 3-1

Hellenic Prem
Binfield v Almondsbury T. 2-2
Ascot got a valuable point 0-0 at Shrivenham

One East
Henley v Milton - odd :? - game switched to Milton cos of flooding @ Mill La - then Abandoned at Half Time :shock: - think I'll investigate.....

.... special mention to Prestwood in the Hellenic One East - got their first point of the season in a highly unexpected 2-2 draw with South Kilburn.
Leaves two local sides still without any league points - Launton Sports (nr Bicester) in the Hellenic One West - and AFC Aldermaston in the Wessex One.
According to their own League site they were due to be @ Cookham Dean in a B&B Cup tie - but Cookham Dean were busy losing to Westwood in the same competition - so not sure what's gone on there..... :?:

Berks & Bucks Intermediate Cup

Finch. v Downley Albion 4-2
Faringdon v Woodley Town 2-1
Newbury v Harwell Village 3-1
Wok. & Emm. v Unity 4-0

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 Nov 2009 00:53

That was a good point for Maiders

725 posts