Simon Church

222 posts
Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Simon Church

by Wycombe Royal » 09 Nov 2009 09:33

Ian Royal First few games I saw Doyle he struggled to put away his chances. Came pretty good that season.

Doyle was also over a year older when he broke into our team.....

Ryn

by Ryn » 09 Nov 2009 11:17

I was pleased to see him start again on Saturday with Rasiak. Netting a goal will hopefully keep some consistency in the front line pairing after the international break.

I actually think we lost a little something once Rasiak came off on Saturday, Church and Long are both too similar to be a regular pairing.

Church is coming on, I would have him kicking the ball in the back of the net for two weeks now, so he knows where it is when he plays again next time.

;)

yappy

by yappy » 09 Nov 2009 11:40

I know a few will find this a silly comparison, but the way Church plays very much reminds me of Michael Owen. Little subtle movements all the time meaning he gets into many good positions, however because of his movement he's never quite set to take on the shot properly.

Although people may criticise his finishing, he does seem to have the nack of being in the right place at the right time, demonstrated by his goal on Saturday (lucky or not). With a bit more experience I think his finishing will improve and he has the potential to be a very good player for us.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 09 Nov 2009 12:20

His turn was magnificent.
I don't care if the shot didn't go in, that was the best moment of the game.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 09 Nov 2009 12:31

SteveRoyal His turn was magnificent.
I don't care if the shot didn't go in, that was the best moment of the game.

we still need a new striker though whether it is to partner him or replace him

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 09 Nov 2009 12:41

Excited about him. Been a fan ever since those goals against england u-21s.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Nov 2009 12:48

Ryn I was pleased to see him start again on Saturday with Rasiak. Netting a goal will hopefully keep some consistency in the front line pairing after the international break.

I actually think we lost a little something once Rasiak came off on Saturday, Church and Long are both too similar to be a regular pairing.

Church is coming on, I would have him kicking the ball in the back of the net for two weeks now, so he knows where it is when he plays again next time.

;)

That's because Long is awful these days. And he was never better than mediocre.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 09 Nov 2009 13:22

yappy I know a few will find this a silly comparison, but the way Church plays very much reminds me of Michael Owen. Little subtle movements all the time meaning he gets into many good positions, however because of his movement he's never quite set to take on the shot properly.

Although people may criticise his finishing, he does seem to have the nack of being in the right place at the right time, demonstrated by his goal on Saturday (lucky or not). With a bit more experience I think his finishing will improve and he has the potential to be a very good player for us.

Agreed. One plus point from BR's dicing with having just three non-prolific strikers is that Church will at least get the game-time to improve. Rasiak will contribute some goals, but has nothing to learn and will only get slower, and Long looks like he's found his level as a substitute forward for a mediocre tier two team. Church is the one who could really kick on - his runs are always intelligent, but his first touch and decision-making are improving all the time and he's getting better in front of goal. I only hope he starts banging them in with more regularity sooner rather than later.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 09 Nov 2009 13:44

CMRoyal
yappy I know a few will find this a silly comparison, but the way Church plays very much reminds me of Michael Owen. Little subtle movements all the time meaning he gets into many good positions, however because of his movement he's never quite set to take on the shot properly.

Agreed. One plus point from BR's dicing with having just three non-prolific strikers is that Church will at least get the game-time to improve. Rasiak will contribute some goals, but has nothing to learn and will only get slower, and Long looks like he's found his level as a substitute forward for a mediocre tier two team. Church is the one who could really kick on - his runs are always intelligent, but his first touch and decision-making are improving all the time and he's getting better in front of goal. I only hope he starts banging them in with more regularity sooner rather than later.
Somebody has already mentioned that we'd be getting very excited about Church if he was our 3rd or 4th choice striker. Nobody doubts his potential, it's whether he can lead the line this season when we need him.

yappy

by yappy » 09 Nov 2009 13:47

I'm quite excited having him as 1st or 2nd choice striker this season. I don't expect him to be prolific, but I definitely think he can do a job for us. The more time we give him at this level, the better he will become, I don't think sitting on a bench will do him any favours.

Thames

by Thames » 09 Nov 2009 13:55

If he played with Doyle we'd think he was world class

Ryn

by Ryn » 09 Nov 2009 14:17

Thames If he played with Doyle we'd think he was world class

Doyler or Church? ;)

I've no doubt that Simon church will continue to progress if he continues to play, his turn and shot on Saturday was magnificent and I'm growing to like the bloke. Just a shame to see so many spurned chances over the last few weeks when we've been going balls out to create so much.

But you're right Ian, Shane Long is putting no pressure on Churchy to be a regular starter.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 14 Nov 2009 15:59

Scores his first goal for Wales. Well done Simon!

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

by M-U-R-T-Y » 14 Nov 2009 16:14

Right place, right time yet again for Church. Good to see them going in now, looks like he's getting his rub of the green. Well done!

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 14 Nov 2009 16:25

Wycombe Royal
rhroyal Tbh crashing one off the underside of the bar is more unlucky than anything else.

If you are talking about the effort yesterday then I'm pretty sure the keeper got a touch to it and pushed it on to the bar.

I believe this is true, and on reflection it's an excellent save (much like the one against Leicester that at first looked like Church had missed the target). Maybe he's just been unlucky?

Pablo

by Pablo » 14 Nov 2009 16:31

Well done Church. Good player and will only get better with time.

Thames

by Thames » 14 Nov 2009 19:54

Fantastic player but hasn't scored enough goals in his short career. If he can get more like the one he scored for Wales then he'll achieve the essential strikers stats to go with his tremendous all round game.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Nov 2009 20:31

He's starting to score the goals already IMO. some quality finishes for the U21s, a full international goal and three for Reading this season.

I like him a lot

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 14 Nov 2009 21:43

Didn't I ell you he'd come good?

You've gotta have faith in the Church.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 15 Nov 2009 00:01

All religion sucks.