Shorey for

parky
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Shorey signs on loan

by parky » 25 Nov 2009 12:58

Royalee Who cares? We've got Bertrand and Armstrong will be back fit eventually. We got Shorey's best years of his career.

Armstrong is fit isn't he?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 25 Nov 2009 13:04

I'm not even sure tbh, maybe he is. Can't see him getting in instead of Bertrand the way he's played this season anyway.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 25 Nov 2009 13:11

Royalee Who cares? We've got Bertrand and Armstrong will be back fit eventually. We got Shorey's best years of his career.

You could have made this into a thread Royalee. 'Which players who joined after we moved to the Madejski stadium had their best years at Reading?

Sidwell
Harper
Shorey
Sonko
Little (debateably)
Forster
Cureton (debateably)
Doyle (so far)
Hahnemann
Murty
Convey
Hunt
Kitson
Butler
Hughes

All of these moved on and did substantially worse, thats quite a lot
Last edited by Focher on 25 Nov 2009 13:13, edited 1 time in total.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Nov 2009 13:12

Armstrong played for the ressies the other day so he's on his way back.

I agree he probably won't get back in the side at the moment with the way with Bertrand has been playing and Rodgers way of playing.

As for Shorey, he's still a much better player than being on loan to the Championship. He was never the quite the England international he thought he was, but he is still good enough to play in the Premiership, but he obviously didn't impress O'Neil enough to get in what is a pretty good Villa side.

I expect someone like Wigan or Blackburn to snap him up in January.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 25 Nov 2009 13:24

Focher

You could have made this into a thread Royalee. 'Which players who joined after we moved to the Madejski stadium had their best years at Reading?

Sidwell
Harper
Shorey
Sonko
Little (debateably)
Forster
Cureton (debateably)
Doyle (so far)
Hahnemann
Murty
Convey
Hunt
Kitson
Butler
Hughes

Indeed, interesting post.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 25 Nov 2009 13:39

Focher

Sidwell
Harper
Shorey
Sonko
Little (debateably)
Forster
Cureton (debateably)
Doyle (so far)
Hahnemann
Murty
Convey
Hunt
Kitson
Butler
Hughes

Again, I'd argue that Sid has done alright - better, in fact. Ever-present this season for the team that's curently 5th in the Premier League.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 25 Nov 2009 13:56

Im sorry but Sidwell has got nowhere near his form for us, done ok for Villa. Perhaps thats because he's surrounded by better players and doesn't stand out so much.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 25 Nov 2009 14:14

Focher Im sorry but Sidwell has got nowhere near his form for us, done ok for Villa. Perhaps thats because he's surrounded by better players and doesn't stand out so much.

Yes, I'm sure it is. Anyway, I'm sure you'd agree he's not doing badly if he can hold his place in a team which will consider itself to have stagnated if they only beat our best ever finish by two places. This is not quite the "substantially worse" bracket that you put him in.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 25 Nov 2009 14:22

CMRoyal
Focher Im sorry but Sidwell has got nowhere near his form for us, done ok for Villa. Perhaps thats because he's surrounded by better players and doesn't stand out so much.

Yes, I'm sure it is. Anyway, I'm sure you'd agree he's not doing badly if he can hold his place in a team which will consider itself to have stagnated if they only beat our best ever finish by two places. This is not quite the "substantially worse" bracket that you put him in.

True.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 25 Nov 2009 16:35

That's a very Royalee style of argument.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 25 Nov 2009 16:53

Royal With Cheese

im right though, his whole reputation, or whats left of his reputation, is still from his days at Reading.

He is still a very good player of course, but if you look at games played and goals scored he's nowhere near what he was at Reading. If you look at money earned, he's streets ahead though .

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 25 Nov 2009 18:38

Hoop Blah Armstrong played for the ressies the other day so he's on his way back.

I agree he probably won't get back in the side at the moment with the way with Bertrand has been playing and Rodgers way of playing.

As for Shorey, he's still a much better player than being on loan to the Championship. He was never the quite the England international he thought he was, but he is still good enough to play in the Premiership, but he obviously didn't impress O'Neil enough to get in what is a pretty good Villa side.

I expect someone like Wigan or Blackburn to snap him up in January.

Agree about Shorey. Forest have done well to get him in but I also suspect he will end up in one of the weaker Premiership sides.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 25 Nov 2009 18:39

Focher
Royal With Cheese

im right though, his whole reputation, or whats left of his reputation, is still from his days at Reading.

He is still a very good player of course, but if you look at games played and goals scored he's nowhere near what he was at Reading. If you look at money earned, he's streets ahead though .

OK. I'll just leave it there.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 25 Nov 2009 18:45

Gordons Cumming
Thaumagurist* WTF has this got to do with us? Why another thread on this?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=94505

They used to play for the Team. Remember?

use to = past = who gives a.....

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Shorey for

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 27 Nov 2009 08:28

Let's not forget that he has to be one of the best bargains we've ever had, we made a nice tidy sum on the investment, got the best years of his career and saw one of "our" players play for England (something that isn't going to happen again for a LONG time).

Good luck to him.

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 26 Dec 2009 16:45

Look out for his world class save on the line in the final minute (the real Forest goalie Lewis Camp would've been proud..)

:lol:

Still cannot complain about a point for us.

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 27 Dec 2009 10:34

Focher

Sidwell
Harper
Shorey
Sonko
Little (debateably)
Forster
Cureton (debateably)
Doyle (so far)
Hahnemann
Murty
Convey
Hunt
Kitson
Butler
Hughes

Good post.

I'd add Brebner to that list.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 27 Dec 2009 12:10

Super_horns Look out for his world class save on the line in the final minute (the real Forest goalie Lewis Camp would've been proud..)

:lol:

Still cannot complain about a point for us.

After the goal that never was you really can't complain can you? :wink:
BTW from what I have seen Forest really are the form team at the moment and as you said in another post the pitch would not have helped their passing game.
We play them shortly and are probably hoping that their pitch is dire for that game.

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 27 Dec 2009 20:48

Bad news for you is that Forest are at home where they seem to score for fun and a lot more attacking.

They left Earnshaw and Tyson on the bench yesterday which helped us/