Plymouth v Barnsley game

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Plymouth v Barnsley game

by rhroyal » 30 Nov 2009 13:45

Before anybody comments about which board this is on, Barnsley and Plymouth are both very close to us in the table and will have an affect on our season. Therefore it has everything to do with the team.

What happens after the Plymouth v Barnsley game was abandoned? Do they go from the start, pick it up again from the 58th minute or what? If Plymouth win, they will move above us. We'll be in the bottom 3. If it's played from the start, 0-0, it is a disgrace.

I remember in 02/03 we played Leicester on New Years Day. We'd had the upper hand for the first half, but it was 0-0 at half time. Then it was abandoned. I was gutted. In the replay we were 3-0 down by half time. At least the decision came whilst it was still 0-0, so going from the start was fair enough. However Plymouth were 4-1 down. According to the table we're in a relegation battle right now - it's not fair on us and the teams around us if Plymouth get another chance.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Plymouth v Barnsley game

by Dirk Gently » 30 Nov 2009 13:48

rhroyal Do they go from the start, pick it up again from the 58th minute or what?

rhroyal ....Then it was abandoned. I was gutted. In the replay we were 3-0 down by half time

Haven't you answered yoru own question?

All that stands from abandoned matches are any bookings and sendings off.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 30 Nov 2009 13:49

It's not fair on anybody though. They were 4-1 down with just over 30 minutes left. Now they get to start again from 0-0?

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 30 Nov 2009 13:50

I remember the Leicester replay. Quite disgraceful. Wasn't that the season when Leicester were cheating by not paying off their debts while managing to keep hold of their better players on big money?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 Nov 2009 13:53

rhroyal It's not fair on anybody though. They were 4-1 down with just over 30 minutes left. Now they get to start again from 0-0?

C'est la vie. Could have been either team that suffered, and if the pitch isn't safe then the pitch isn't safe!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Nov 2009 13:55

Thaumagurist* I remember the Leicester replay. Quite disgraceful. Wasn't that the season when Leicester were cheating by not paying off their debts while managing to keep hold of their better players on big money?

What was disgraceful about it? If anything the original game should not have started but calling it off and replaying it was entirely the correct thing to do.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 Nov 2009 13:56

Stranded
Thaumagurist* I remember the Leicester replay. Quite disgraceful. Wasn't that the season when Leicester were cheating by not paying off their debts while managing to keep hold of their better players on big money?

What was disgraceful about it? If anything the original game should not have started but calling it off and replaying it was entirely the correct thing to do.

+1

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 30 Nov 2009 13:57

It was that same season I believe, it forced the league to change the rules, rules which seemingly have only screwed over smaller teams In my opinion but that's another debate ;)

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 30 Nov 2009 13:58

Stranded

What was disgraceful about it?

Disgraceful that we couldn't repeat the feat of holding them to 0-0 by half-time.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 30 Nov 2009 13:59

Stranded

It was disgraceful because I was fecking hungover on New Years Day and had to trudge all the way there for that :D

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 30 Nov 2009 14:00

Thaumagurist* I remember the Leicester replay. Quite disgraceful.

Was Reading vs Bury in the Coca-Cola Cup 95/96 (abandoned at 0-2 due to a waterlogged pitch, 2-1 win in the replay) also a disgrace?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 Nov 2009 14:00

Wimb

It was that same season I believe, it forced the league to change the rules, rules which seemingly have only screwed over smaller teams In my opinion but that's another debate ;)

Indeed - "sporting sanctions" have never stopped clubs from going into administration, they've just made it harder for them to recover if they do.

And the scientific way in which they were put together - at a FL Board meeting all 72 FL chairmen (or their representatives) were asked how many points they thought such a penatly should be. Then the FL took the average of all 72 figures given. Well thought-out law-making at its best! :roll:

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Nov 2009 14:11

By Patrick Cryne owner of Barnsley F C
http://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/page/New...889402,00.html
A REFEREE'S job is a tough one.

I know because many years ago I took the referees' examinations at Sheffield and Hallamshire FA and turned out to officiate in games in the local leagues.I can't claim to have been an outstanding performer with the whistle and after a few seasons I gave it up to spend more time on developing a career that suited my real talents and would give me a living.

Being a referee now of course can be a career in itself, but how do you flourish and get noticed so that you can make it your main source of secure earnings?

My fear with the modern game is that officials feel under pressure to show that they can make the "big decision" during the course of a game as a means of proving themselves able to be a career referee.

Sometimes it appears as though making a "big decision" is more important that making the right decision.

Last Saturday the referee at Plymouth made a "big decision", justifying it by reference to ensuring player safety.That motive is laudable of course but where was the evidence of the players' safety being at risk?

There were few fouls during the course of the game and little if any presence on the field by the physios.If player safety was paramount, then one might have expected that the referee would have shared his concerns with the managers and players at half time (or at any time), but he did not.

Instead, he took the decision to abandon the game without reference, making it a "big decision" on his part.At the time he took his decision, playing conditions were difficult but not impossible particularly if compared with the conditions at our match with Southend in the FA Cup in January 2007 where the referee played the match to a finish even after the point of farce had arrived.

On Saturday, Barnsley were coping in the conditions and looked like adding to their goal tally at the time the referee decided on abandonment.Of course had the referee played on rather than abandoning the game when he did, he may have been forced to make the decision to call it off some ten to 15 minutes later when the rain took on the proportions of a full-on monsoon.Had he abandoned at that time, then the decision might well have been right and accepted by all, but then it would have not been a "big decision".

The consequences of his "big decision" prejudices only Barnsley and its players.

The absurdity of the abandonment means that Anderson de Silva has not served out his suspension, because it was a non-match, but perversely the yellow card picked up in the Plymouth game by Nathan Doyle does count resulting in his suspension for the Blackpool game.

So we lost three points that seemed assured; our fans have to endure the cost of an aborted game and the replaying of one of the most distant matches on our calendar and we are two players down for the Blackpool game.

But that's OK, because the referee got to make his "big decision" and move his career onward and upward and wrap his decision in cloak of protecting the players.There is an irony in there that would not be lost on Iain Hume

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Nov 2009 14:16

So basically he's saying the game should have been abandoned 10 mins after it actually was because the conditions actually got worse.

Surely that makes the ref's decision a good call?

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 30 Nov 2009 14:45

I find it more disturbing that some folks are hoping that a Barnsley win puts more nails in a Plymouth coffin!

Shit, have we fallen so low that we will be relying on this kind of thing to help us avoid relegation! :roll:

Magnus

by Magnus » 30 Nov 2009 14:59

A real six pointer no?

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 30 Nov 2009 15:21

Dorset-Knob I find it more disturbing that some folks are hoping that a Barnsley win puts more nails in a Plymouth coffin!

Shit, have we fallen so low that we will be relying on this kind of thing to help us avoid relegation! :roll:

Live with it.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Nov 2009 15:23

TBF it's just generally always nice to see mouthy little gobshite teams like Plymouth and Brighton relegated.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 30 Nov 2009 15:27

plynmouth bound to win that replay now

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 30 Nov 2009 16:25

Decades ago there was a match abandoned with about 12 mins to go, one side were clearly ahead and the League insisted that the re-arranged fixture (NOT REPLAY!!) was just those 12 minutes long with the score starting where it had left off before.

This was thought to be silly, in the event.

I think games are too often abandoned early nowadays. I'll never forget the 1970 mudfest v Port Vale, one of the most entertaining games I've ever seen. It was a disgrace that the 2005 Leicester game was abandoned - especially at the point when the half-time refreshments had just been sold.