Non - League thread 2009/10

725 posts
Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Non - League thread 2009/10

by Four Of Clubs » 29 Nov 2009 11:15

AthleticoSpizz FWIW Scours seem to be devoid of a drummer these days......not that it should've been too much of a problem anyway............what with 90% of the ground normally vacant.

... I think he's 'mothballed' his drum now - think he got a night-time 'curfew' order put on it - may have got too many 'adverse' reactions at away games and its possible even that someone had a word @ Scours? Not sure there's ever been enough folk there to bother though.

Did go to a Scours game last season in a cloudburst - I spent an uncomfortable 1/2 hour or so within closer earshot than I'd prefer. He's vaguely amusing in the short-term providing you are far enough away! :lol:

He still makes a fair old racket 'singing' or 'banter' as he calls it - usually with his Dad - hilariously seems to have a lot of his (not very) amusing songs written down! :?

Still gives him an outlet I s'pose.

Oh yeah - time on my hands - probably cos I'm still a 'Slack Dad' - i.e. Wife works; I 'home-care' and spend a lot of early AM/late PM/evenings ferrying the Kids around.

There are folk on the NL Forum who are strictly 'big-league' when it comes to Non-League (if you see what I mean).Not only do they seem to manage to get out 6 days out of 7 (and some Sundays too) - they also try and tour Non-League grounds in Spain, Belgium, Holland, Sweden, Hungary and quite a few other countries besides - often flying out for a cheap w/e.
I s'pose having no-life at all and no family might help this quest? :?

Met quite a few chaps who drive up from Devon & Cornwall to 'groundhop', now there's an obsession.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 30 Nov 2009 10:45

Surely an Essex Senior Cup game isn’t allowed to take precedence over a Conference South game.

http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/ ... php?t=4317

Will be annoyed if my regular fix of non league football is postponed because of this. Weather is looking rather rubbish at the moment though!

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 30 Nov 2009 15:02

Blue Square South match off - as County Cup tie takes priority
Club Secretary Tom Woodley was contacted by Essex FA Secretary Phil Sammons yesterday afternoon advising that Braintree would be liable to a four-figure fine if next Tuesday evening's Essex Senior Cup tie went ahead at the same time as our scheduled Blue Square South fixture at Maidenhead United. Aware that the deadline for the completion of this round of fixtures is Saturday 5 December, Tom Woodley did offer to travel to our Essex Senior Cup opponents on either Monday or Wednesday evening next week but they declined both options. As a result we accept that the County match has to be played next week, takes priority over our league fixture and we have therefore had to postpone this coming Tuesday evening's Blue Square South fixture at Maidenhead United. Chairman Lee Harding was disappointed: "We really do appreciate all the help we get from our friends at the County FA with arranging fixtures in what we regard as a particularly prestigious competition. They've always been very fair with us and they realise that we are behind with our Blue Square South fixtures. We know that the County FA bend over backwards to do everything in their power to help clubs like us with their league aspirations. We were aware that the County FA gave instructions that their Fourth Round had to be completed by Saturday 5th December so we asked our County Cup opponents if they could switch the game to another night, but they declined and I accepted that our match at Maidenhead had to be postponed. We are keen not to upset our friends at the County FA because the last time we incurred their wrath, we ended up being fined £2,900! But what did concern some supporters who spoke to me today was the news that our friends at Chelmsford City, Grays Athletic and Dagenham & Redbridge, who all have league matches scheduled for next week, like Braintree, do appear to have been given some form of dispensation to play their County Cup games after the deadline on either Monday 7th or Tuesday 8th, but that this extension has not been offered to us at Braintree. I am sure that these other clubs have not been given an unfair advantage over us and that there is a perfectly acceptable explanation why they have been allowed to play their games after the deadline given."

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Dec 2009 10:42

Windsor & Eton's unbeaten start to the League season rolled on with another 2-0 away victory at Abingdon on Saturday. Despite that win, we were knocked off top spot by AFC Totton (who have won their last 9 or 10 games) on goal difference (they also have a game in hand), and we play them at home on Saturday. Should be a cracker.

If anyone is remotely interested, BBC Radio Oxford do a non-League roundup with decent reports, and at 3.03.30 on this link there is a glowing report about the performance at Abingdon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0 ... 8_11_2009/

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 01 Dec 2009 13:06

Should see them at Hungerford Town tonight providing handbags' foot is ok to drive.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 01 Dec 2009 14:37

Royal Rother Windsor & Eton's unbeaten start to the League season rolled on with another 2-0 away victory at Abingdon on Saturday. Despite that win, we were knocked off top spot by AFC Totton (who have won their last 9 or 10 games) on goal difference (they also have a game in hand), and we play them at home on Saturday. Should be a cracker.

If anyone is remotely interested, BBC Radio Oxford do a non-League roundup with decent reports, and at 3.03.30 on this link there is a glowing report about the performance at Abingdon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0 ... 8_11_2009/

I'd also recommend BBC London's Non-League show (& podcast) http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/radio/nonleague/

Not just for the non-league stuff but also for the Supporters Direct reps talking about football finance with a non-league basis

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 02 Dec 2009 08:55

Compo's Hat Should see them at Hungerford Town tonight providing handbags' foot is ok to drive.

I got along to this one last night - wasn't my first choice but 'domestic shennanigans' and the weather ruled out a few of my others options close by.

Hadn't intended to pick Bulpit - I only went last season - but had to make a decision at jn11 whether to head East or West and Hungerford was a 19:30 KO - meant more time back in the Pub! 8) - so I turned right.

I then thought the M4 twixt jns 11 & 12 was going to further screw up my evening - I had got Milton vs Aylesbury FC in the Berks/Bucks Trophy as a 'fallback option' or even a double-back @ Theale to Scours if it proved to be really bad - fortunately I didn't need either, as it was clear past j12 - besides the game at Milton, though a shock win for the lower placed Hellenic club over the South Mids league leaders, went into ET.

Thought Hungerford gave everything they had but were far too shot-shy - W&E were bigger, fitter and much much faster of thought and movement, especially late on.

Was really a case of how many they'd pick off on the break in the 2nd Half - but the linesman acted like an impenetrable defence on several occasions. :roll:

2nd goal killed it: keeper's clearance cannoning off the onrushing forward and back past him for an awkwardly angled tap into an empty net for Victor O.

Heard a few desultory cheers and chants very late on from a gaggle of Royalist fans behind the goal - game seemed to be played in good spirit - looked as if the Hungerford lads picked up a few knocks but it wasn't a dirty game at all.

W&E return to the top of the table ahead of the 'big clash' at Stag Meadow this Saturday vs 2nd placed Totton - who are 3 pts behind with 2 games in hand.

Crowd understandably small (95) since it was a filthy night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Elsewhere :

Woking got whupped at Bath City and Dover were held 0-0 by Staines - much to the delight of my Exiles supoorting mate.

Games at Sandhurst and Burnham were off.

In the Cup games:
Camberley were beaten 2-0 at home by Ash in the Aldersh!t Senior Cup.
In the Hellenic Floodlit Trophy : Reading scraped past Henley 1-0 at Scours - not sure how strong the Town side was - but they don't have that big a squad anyway.
Binfield got a morale boosting win @ Kidlington.
Fleet Town were surprisingly dumped out of the Russell Cotes Shield (sort of Charity Competition open to Clubs in the Hampshire FA - Fleet were the Holders) in ET by Newport IOW - bet they had a nice long journey home!

Royalist

by Royalist » 02 Dec 2009 09:28

We certainly like our baseball style song behind the goal! :D Der-der-der-der-der-der-der-der-der-der-der-der da-da-da-da-da-da Whoooo! Da-da-da-da-da-da-da WHOOO! Very strange wooden, yet bouncy, in the stand at that end!

5 quid to get in and carlsberg at 2 quid. Excellent vaule for money!

I'm positve not all the offsides given were off and quite frankly we could of had doubled our score because of it.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 02 Dec 2009 11:32

Royalist I'm positve not all the offsides given were off and quite frankly we could of had doubled our score because of it.

I was in that older stand on the left facing away from the clubhouse.

Ground a bit reminiscent of the Manor Ground - in that it has about 4-5 covered mini-stands - only one big one with seats ....
.. the one I was in, looked as if it had seats in it long ago and the 'steps' that remain are only a comfortable walk up/down if you are about 8' tall!

From that vantage point wasn't that easy to see the offsides but I agree that at least three were very 'dubious' indeed - even from an angle.

....hmmm Guinness was £3.00 - but I only had a 1/2 anyway. :|

PS Careful - You'll get the 'could have' Police after you! :wink:

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 02 Dec 2009 13:11

Four Of Clubs
Compo's Hat Should see them at Hungerford Town tonight providing handbags' foot is ok to drive.

I got along to this one last night - wasn't my first choice but 'domestic shennanigans' and the weather ruled out a few of my others options close by.

Gutted we didn't make it now.

Royalist

by Royalist » 02 Dec 2009 14:15

One thing i do not understand is Windsor have a far younger fanbase than alot of other non-league sides. Cant work out why either!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 02 Dec 2009 14:19

Really? :shock:

I am 49 and feel like a youngster at Stag Meadow!!

I suppose there are a few kids there generally but my son's about the only one who actually watches the games.

Royalist

by Royalist » 02 Dec 2009 15:15

Certainly in regards to the 'hardcore' home and away fans there is a big gap in age! The behind the goal lot and alot of the people on the clubhouse side of the ground are for the most part younger than many other sides!! If your at the totton game alot of the fans that will come up will be in their 50's and above whilst last night the travelling party were all under 40!

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 02 Dec 2009 18:20

Royalist Certainly in regards to the 'hardcore' home and away fans there is a big gap in age! The behind the goal lot and alot of the people on the clubhouse side of the ground are for the most part younger than many other sides!! If your at the totton game alot of the fans that will come up will be in their 50's and above whilst last night the travelling party were all under 40!

... the home supporters around me were definitely of the 'Grumpy Old Men' variety! :wink: - ... though there were quite a few younger home supporters around.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 04 Dec 2009 10:05

This weeks 'samples' from Anoraks 'R Us :wink:

FA Vase 3rd Round Proper
Chertsey Town v Sleaford Town
Flackwell Heath v Wroxham
Witney United v Almondsbury Town
Stotfold v Badshot Lea

CONFS
Bishop's Stortford v Woking
Maidenhead United v Lewes
Staines Town v Basingstoke Town

... and
Bath City v Newport County
Bromley v Dover Athletic
Dorchester v H&R

ISTH1S
Fleet Town v Whytleafe

SOUTHP
Didcot Town v Rugby Town - Diddy have a rotten home record this season - bit like 'you know who' :? but ought to beat the bottom club who (like Bracknell in the SW division) are well adrift with only three points - though they have come from 3 home draws.
Farnborough v Nuneaton Town
SOUTH1M
Biggleswade Town v Beaconsfield SYCOB
Marlow v Rothwell Town
Slough Town v Bury Town
SOUTH1SW
Cinderford v Bracknell
Hungerford Town v Frome Town
Paulton Rovers v Bedfont Green
Taunton v Thatcham
Windsor & Eton v AFC Totton - top two W&E have 3 pt lead over Totton who have 2 games in hand and have won 11 straight.

COCOP
Dorking v Cove
North Greenford Utd v Camberley Town
Raynes Park Vale v Sandhurst Town
COCO1
Eversley v Bedfont Sports KO 14:00
Farnham Town v Feltham
Hartley Wintney v Staines Lammas

HELLENIC Premier
Abingdon Town v Carterton
Ascot United v Malmesbury Victoria
Bicester Town v Marlow United
Binfield v Fairford Town
Reading Town v Old Woodstock Town
Shrivenham v Wantage Town
HELLENIC 1 East
Chalfont Wasps v Thame United KO 14:00
Rayners Lane v Henley Town KO 14:00
Woodley Town v South Kilburn KO 14:00

Berks & Bucks Intermediate Cup - probably ALL 13:30 KOs
AFC Wallingford v Wokingham & Emmbrook
Eton Wick v Aylesbury FC Reserves
Holyport v Sandhurst Town Reserves
Kintbury Rangers v Windsor Great Park
Newbury v Chalfont St Peter Reserves
Old Challoners v Finchampstead

WESSEX 1
AFC Aldermaston v Downton
Horndean v Tadley
Stockbridge v Fleet Spurs - might still be underwater?

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 04 Dec 2009 10:46

MASSIVE game for the Beavers, they are in deep doggy do's at the moment.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 05 Dec 2009 18:34

Windsor & Eton 1-0 AFC Totton

A very good game of football, both teams were a credit to themselves and the league. Osobu scored with about 5 minutes left; well, that and 6 minutes of added time. The Totton players reacted like they'd lost a Cup final at the final whistle.

Still relatively early days but I'll be very surprised if these are not the top 2 teams at the end of the season.

I reckon the crowd was about 250, of which half were from Totton. W&E really need to be doing more to engage with the public - there's an apathy to counteract I'm sure but I can't believe we couldn't get another 50 or 100 if there was some publicity in the town.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 05 Dec 2009 21:25

The w/e round-up :-

FA Vase 3rd Round Proper
Chertsey Town v Sleaford Town 3-2 aet winner on 120'
Flackwell Heath v Wroxham 1-3
Witney United v Almondsbury Town 4-0
Stotfold v Badshot Lea 3-1

CONFS
Bishop's Stortford v Woking 0-3
Maidenhead United v Lewes 1-1
Staines Town v Basingstoke Town 0-1

... and
Bath City v Newport County 1-1
Bromley v Dover Athletic 2-2
Dorchester v 'Beavers' 2-1

ISTH1S
Fleet Town v Whyteleafe 2-1

SOUTHP
Didcot Town v Rugby Town 3-1
Farnborough v Nuneaton Town 0-2 :shock: 1st league defeat - crowd of 1180
.. and possibly even bigger shock

Stourbridge 7-2 Truro

SOUTH1M
Biggleswade Town v Beaconsfield SYCOB PP
Marlow v Rothwell Town 1-0
Slough Town v Bury Town 0-1
SOUTH1SW
Cinderford v Bracknell PP
Hungerford Town v Frome Town 0-0
Paulton Rovers v Bedfont Green 1-2
Taunton v Thatcham 2-3
Windsor & Eton v AFC Totton 1-0 - as above crowd officially 237

COCOP
Dorking v Cove PP
North Greenford Utd v Camberley Town 0-2 - Cambo now 8pts clear
Raynes Park Vale v Sandhurst Town PP
COCO1
Eversley v Bedfont Sports 1-2
Farnham Town v Feltham 8-1
Hartley Wintney v Staines Lammas 0-3

HELLENIC Premier
Abingdon Town v Carterton 0-3
Ascot United v Malmesbury Victoria 1-1
Bicester Town v Marlow United 5-0 - 1st win of the season for Bicester - who are facing eviction for non-payment of ground rent. :?
Binfield v Fairford Town 4-2
Reading Town v Old Woodstock Town 2-0
Shrivenham v Wantage Town 1-3
HELLENIC 1 East
Chalfont Wasps v Thame United 3-2
Rayners Lane v Henley Town 1-3
Woodley Town v South Kilburn 0-1

Berks & Bucks Intermediate Cup -
AFC Wallingford v Wokingham & Emmbrook 0-2
Eton Wick v Aylesbury FC Reserves 0-1
Holyport v Sandhurst Town Reserves PP
Kintbury Rangers v Windsor Great Park 1-4
Newbury v Chalfont St Peter Reserves 8-0
Old Challoners v Finchampstead 4-2

WESSEX 1
AFC Aldermaston v Downton PP
Horndean v Tadley PP
Stockbridge v Fleet Spurs 3-4

I dashed - well crawled a bit :wink: - round the M25 to the FA Vase Tie Hoddesdon vs Kirkley & Pakefield - away side are a recent merger of two suburban teams from Lowestoft - was a bit of a mis-match very comfortable 4-0 away win. Hopefully will get a 4th round tie in too - I think Royals are at Forest that day [16th Jan]. Co-incidentally K&P's nickname is The Royals. No idea why?
Oh and final bit of 'Triv': Hoddesdon were the first winners of the FA Vase in 1975 - 2-1 win over Epsom & Ewell - who are still in this years competition after win this PM down in Zummerset vs Wellington.
Thus we are deprived of the possibility of there being 'a Pair of Wellingtons' at this season's final - there's another club nr Hereford called Wellington who were playing in the Vase this PM too. :roll:

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 06 Dec 2009 16:26

Royal Rother Windsor & Eton 1-0 AFC Totton

A very good game of football, both teams were a credit to themselves and the league. Osobu scored with about 5 minutes left; well, that and 6 minutes of added time. The Totton players reacted like they'd lost a Cup final at the final whistle.

Still relatively early days but I'll be very surprised if these are not the top 2 teams at the end of the season.

I reckon the crowd was about 250, of which half were from Totton. W&E really need to be doing more to engage with the public - there's an apathy to counteract I'm sure but I can't believe we couldn't get another 50 or 100 if there was some publicity in the town.

I was there yesterday along with Ark Royal. Most enjoyable footballing experience of the season. Two sides trying to play football and none of the nonsense or shennanigans of the pro game. I thought the referee had an excellent game but was obviously helped by both sets of players. You say the Totton players reacted at the end as if they had lost a cup final. Well, W&E celebrated as if they had won a cup final.

Great experience and looking forward to my next appearance there.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Dec 2009 16:55

Excellent! Glad you enjoyed it.

725 posts