Back from the Game - Crystal Palace

241 posts
Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from the Game - Crystal Palace

by Wycombe Royal » 09 Dec 2009 13:09

Royalee When he has more than a hundred league starts behind him for a start.

So no player can be called "experienced" until they have a hundred league starts?

That counts Cisse out then.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 09 Dec 2009 13:11

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 09 Dec 2009 13:15

I came away from the match feeling totally deflated. We had no game plan, no shape, no formation discipline and no real idea of how to counter Palaces more physical approach.

They fully deserved their win and LOL at anybody who says they didn't. A poor game characterised by the schoolboy crowding around the ball style of play.If we'd have opened up the play and used our wide men more effectively (I was going to say at all) we may have had a chance but the one person on the pitch who we couldn't counter was Moses. Absolute class. This is something I will never say again but well done to Neil Warnock for taking him off at the end and thus allowing him the opportunity of a personal standing ovation. I didn't stand up but I applauded the lad off.

Bertrand was at fault for the second goal as much as Federici for sauntering up to the ball and losing the challenge to allow the shot but Federici should never have been beaten at his near post from that range (let alone twice).

We may avoid relegation, but it's going to be tight...

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Dec 2009 13:19

winchester_royal
Stranded
So how does that translate to we should have won - both of out goals could/should have been prevented too after all?

Are you really going to get this pedantic?

As crap as last night was, we were (IMHO) the better team. As soon as Moses goes in January Palace are royally buggered.

Yes I am as I just don't get how even the most blinkered fan can think we deserved anything more than we got last night.

We were not (IMHO) the better team at all last night - the better team simply does not ship 4 goals. The better team does not let the opposition continue to shoot from distance when they've already shown they are more than capable of scoring from there. The better team does not have to continually change formation in the hope of getting something from the game.

Palace were functional at best, we were nowhere near that.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 09 Dec 2009 13:22

Muskrat I didn't stand up but I applauded the lad off.

People who applaud the opposition players are morons.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 09 Dec 2009 13:24

Thaumagurist*

Actually I think you'll find you're wrong.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 09 Dec 2009 13:36

I respectfully disagree.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 09 Dec 2009 13:37

Stranded
Yes I am as I just don't get how even the most blinkered fan can think we deserved anything more than we got last night.

We were not (IMHO) the better team at all last night - the better team simply does not ship 4 goals. The better team does not let the opposition continue to shoot from distance when they've already shown they are more than capable of scoring from there. The better team does not have to continually change formation in the hope of getting something from the game.

Palace were functional at best, we were nowhere near that.

Completely agree.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 09 Dec 2009 13:37

Thaumagurist*

No, you're a moron.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 09 Dec 2009 13:42

Royalee
Thaumagurist*

No, you're a moron.

That's possibly the only thing you and I agree on.

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 09 Dec 2009 13:43

Royalee When he has more than a hundred league starts behind him for a start.

you actually tried to arbitrarily redefine 'experience' to fit your utterly pointless argument.

what a cock.

60 games is not inexperienced, which you were trying to imply. stop being a cock.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Dec 2009 13:59

Tinrib A few observations from last night.

Poor team selection & tactics. - 4-5-1 at home against another mediocre team, when the 1 can't hold a ball up is laughable. The fact that Colin had Clint Hill playing in front of the CB pairing and effectivley marking Rasiak out of the game, meant that the tactics/formation shouldve been changed very early on. As others have said Cisse/ Gunnar pairing at home is a joke.

Rasiak is only good if you deliver a ball onto his head in the 6 yard box - the rest of the time he's pony.

IIRC Moses ripped us to shreds last year at Selhurst - nothing new there. Tabb was outclassed all night by a kid.

Distinct lack of passing. No passsion. No commitment. No spark.

I like Rogers. He's a nice guy, and no doubt has the best interests of the club close to his heart, but with the playing squad hes been given + the injuries to key players ( Hunt , Armstrong, Howard) hes facing an up hill battle.

Man for man last night we shouldve won that game. Bravo to Colin for getting the best out of a limited squad.

Agree with pretty much most of that, and Stranded's point about us not deserving anything from last night.

However, I thought Hill played centre back and the 22 played in front of the abck four, but that's splitting hairs a bit, and up until Federici gave Palace the game I thought we were the better side and looked pretty good for going on to win. Unfortunately the game isn't won on a points decision over a random selection of minutes in the game, and again unfortunately, a big part of our side is the keepers ability to keep out run of the mill strikes from 25 yards out.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 09 Dec 2009 14:03

A few comments.
Here we are back to getting thrashed at home by Palace (6-1 gave everybody the same feeling of despair as last night did) so since the Elm Park days we have really gone nowhere ON the pitch.
Where were the energetic youngsters in the side that have come through the Academy as the best crop ever blah,blah,blah?
Just one started-the slowest of them all and the most experienced,Alex Pearce.

The whole thing at the club strikes me as an overhyped unprofessional mess.
Some players get the boot fairly quickly (Harper and Rosenior) but others such as Kebe and Long get chance after chance to perform but they don't perform and yet still get selected.
Jem never seems to have a bad game but gets dropped time and again.
Gylfi plays well enough out of position and gets dropped.
We always look shaky at the back and our most expensive player doesn't get a look-in,nor does the defender who was probably our best player for a month or so,O'Dea.
We play a mainly left-footed midfielder at right-back and (despite his good attempt) expect to get away with it.

It will be interesting in the transfer window whether we bring in the type of stop-gap players to fend off relegation or those that are to be part of team-building over the next 10 years.
Whether Rodgers will be trusted with the decisions I do wonder.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Dec 2009 14:04

have to agree with rodgers summing up after the game- "we got exactly what we deserved, and that was nothing"
and he also suggested that the lumping it up to ras, and lack of play to the wings were opposite to his instructions.and that had we managed to get the draw hed still be pretty livid with the performance
he did not sound happy at all.

they had about 6 shots and scored 4. they didnt create anything- and apart from long range shots
and we, despite looking awful,still managed to create a fair bit.
just unlucky/idiotic with tabb/moses, and feds near post horror show.
move on to saturday- id stick with fed, but seriously think about swapping one or both of odea and mills in
and if it were possible replace tabb at RB, and maybe play him on the left wing instead of kebe- but since we onkly have 1 other fit FB and hes already playing- that aint going to happen

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Dec 2009 14:05

Some players get the boot fairly quickly (Harper and Rosenior) but others such as Kebe and Long get chance after chance to perform but they don't perform and yet still get selected.
We always look shaky at the back and our most expensive player doesn't get a look-in,nor does the defender who was probably our best player for a month or so,O'Dea.
We play a mainly left-footed midfielder at right-back and (despite his good attempt) expect to get away with it.

have to agree with this

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 09 Dec 2009 14:05

Thaumagurist*

:roll:

I applauded Moses' second goal (as it deserved to be), yet you are the moron.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Dec 2009 14:07

'greed

i applauded the guy off
and have applauded great goals against us in the past

you dont have to, but to cal people who do moronic is highly moronic

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Dec 2009 14:08

BR2 A few comments.
Here we are back to getting thrashed at home by Palace (6-1 gave everybody the same feeling of despair as last night did) so since the Elm Park days we have really gone nowhere ON the pitch.Where were the energetic youngsters in the side that have come through the Academy as the best crop ever blah,blah,blah?
Just one started-the slowest of them all and the most experienced,Alex Pearce.

It will be interesting in the transfer window whether we bring in the type of stop-gap players to fend off relegation or those that are to be part of team-building over the next 10 years.
Whether Rodgers will be trusted with the decisions I do wonder.

Whilst I find myself beginning to agree with much of your post the bolded line is fairly pointless as you've just picked two arbritary games against the same opposition.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 09 Dec 2009 14:11

You said "league starts", not appearances.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=46519

So that would be 78 starts then.

HTH.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 09 Dec 2009 14:22

In Kebe we have a winger who is scared to cross the ball!!! I think once stretch is fully fit, Bertrand to play left midfield

241 posts