Get some perspective

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

Re: Get some perspective

by ZacNaloen » 09 Dec 2009 14:53

Doing what is necessary to prevent administration != Panic.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 09 Dec 2009 14:54

But there's a bit of me that had they cut a bit more last year and eased the kids through then, then we could be better placed this year.
And yes, there is expectation management in there.

Gambling the house, the keys, the wife and the ginger step child on promotion ... no, what's brick by brick about that?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Dec 2009 14:58

ZacNaloen Doing what is necessary to prevent administration != Panic.

But if they'd done the pruning over the last two summers rather that the mass exodus of this summer it would have made the transition easier and we'd have been in a stronger position now - we may not have made the play-offs last year but we wouldn't be quite in is a bad a playing position as we are.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 09 Dec 2009 15:00

Stranded

But if they'd done the pruning over the last two summers rather that the mass exodus of this summer it would have made the transition easier and we'd have been in a stronger position now - we may not have made the play-offs last year but we wouldn't be quite in is a bad a playing position as we are.

Wait

Are we agreeing

/sits down and mops brow

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 09 Dec 2009 15:02

Stranded

I do agree with you, not doing that was Coppells decision as it was sold to us, but ultimately what happened this summer was necessary to stave of a much bigger disastor for the club than just getting relegated this year.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 09 Dec 2009 15:03

strap Look, I have no problem with a Club working within its means, absolutely the corect thing to do, especially in these dificult times, HOWEVER, the main reason for many of our whinges is the rhetoric and bullshit that is spouted from Egoman downwards!

This club hasn't a cat in hells chance of returning to the PL in the next 10 years, never mind this season, or next! With the ridiculous signings Bodger has made, we will not even be challenging the play-off spots!!

Yet we are forever lambasted with crap about how we're making a sustained challenge to return to the PL, we're a top 6 team, on our day we can top this division blah blah blah blah. It's all utter nonsense.

We're patently NOT any of those! Why can't the club actually be HONEST for a change and admit we're on our uppers, and actually this season will be considered a success if we merely stay up. Next season will be a success if we climb x places, and so on. Manage expectation, don't glibly come out with what you think the fams want to hear! We KNOW this team is shit, christ, we see it week in week out! Stop treating us like idiots, (push season tickets sales for all you're worth, then sell off the 1st team - wow, who thought up THAT marketing ploy! Next season's ST sales will plummet like a stone).

Post of the day

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Dec 2009 15:05

papereyes
Stranded

Wait

Are we agreeing

/sits down and mops brow

Pretty sure we've agreed before - of course if the gamble had paid off last year and we'd beaten Brum in the last game this would be a moot arguement.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 09 Dec 2009 15:09

ZacNaloen
Stranded

I do agree with you, not doing that was Coppells decision as it was sold to us, but ultimately what happened this summer was necessary to stave of a much bigger disastor for the club than just getting relegated this year.

And just how much money can the club expect to lose if relegated to League 1?

1. There will be a huge drop in TV revenue
2. Reduction in Season Ticket sales
3. Lower gates as fewer people pay on the day
4. Fewer away fans
5. Less revenue from car parking
6. Lower sales of merchandise
7. Lower programme sales and rduced income from catering
8. Corporate hospitality income reduces further

Serously, just what are the implications if the football club was to go into administration? How would SJM benefit from that?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 09 Dec 2009 15:44

Sorry, what is your argument?

Is it that starting next season, or this season, with a points deduction on top of having to sell our best players to cover the debt that was the reason for that points reduction... is better than selling our players not having the disadvantage of points reduction and if we get relegated starting a season with no enforced disadvantages and being in a safer financial position?

I'm not following the reasoning really.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Dec 2009 15:45

papereyes But there's a bit of me that had they cut a bit more last year and eased the kids through then, then we could be better placed this year.

Gambling the house, the keys, the wife and the ginger step child on promotion ... no, what's brick by brick about that?

This is exactly what I said last year and why we shouldn't have kept Coppell on as he was only staying out of a misplaced sense of duty when it was obvious he didn't really want to be here.

If we'd have had the balls to appoint a new manager last year and let him keep a few of last years squad but without going all out like we did, we'd have been in a healthier position now AND probably wouldn't have capitulated quite as badly last year once players like Hunt knew they were off regardless.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Dec 2009 15:56

Hoop Blah
papereyes But there's a bit of me that had they cut a bit more last year and eased the kids through then, then we could be better placed this year.

This is exactly what I said last year and why we shouldn't have kept Coppell on as he was only staying out of a misplaced sense of duty when it was obvious he didn't really want to be here.

If we'd have had the balls to appoint a new manager last year and let him keep a few of last years squad but without going all out like we did, we'd have been in a healthier position now AND probably wouldn't have capitulated quite as badly last year once players like Hunt knew they were off regardless.

Have to agree - one of the reasons we're where we are now is that last season was a most uncharacteristic gamble to go straight back up - and one that came damn close, to coming off, tbf. But it was most un-Reading like, and now we have to face the consequences of that decision. But it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation, of course - if we'd "cut the cloth" last years hobnobbers would have been screaming for blood at lack of investment and lack of ambition, but having gambled too much last year so that there's now no option other than to cut the cloth, people are screaming for blood at lack of investment and lack of ambition.

Serously, just what are the implications if the football club was to go into administration? How would SJM benefit from that?

He wouldn't in the slightest - as well as potentially losing the business (if a bigger offer comes in then any administrator is duty bound to sell the business to them) he stands to lose the single thing of all which is most important to him as a businessman - his reputation.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 09 Dec 2009 16:05

But it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation, of course - if we'd "cut the cloth" last years hobnobbers would have been screaming for blood at lack of investment and lack of ambition, but having gambled too much last year so that there's now no option other than to cut the cloth, people are screaming for blood at lack of investment and lack of ambition.

I think the right amount of, well, honesty and expectation management may have satisfied a more than a few people.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 09 Dec 2009 16:09

papereyes
But it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation, of course - if we'd "cut the cloth" last years hobnobbers would have been screaming for blood at lack of investment and lack of ambition, but having gambled too much last year so that there's now no option other than to cut the cloth, people are screaming for blood at lack of investment and lack of ambition.

I think the right amount of, well, honesty and expectation management may have satisfied a more than a few people.

I wouldn't bet on it. The "must cut our cloth accordingly" cliche is as much used by Madejski as the "proves our Premier League ambition" one is. After so many years at the helm people will believe what they want to believe as far as JM is concerned.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 09 Dec 2009 16:15

Possibly.

But after years of 'its brick by brick', especially during a pair of seasons where we could have easily bought sturdier bricks, its absolutely no surprise to me that to follow it up with 'we're a bit skint, sorry' is going to go do about as well as the runs in a crowded lift.

The "must cut our cloth accordingly" cliche is as much used by Madejski as the "proves our Premier League ambition" one is.

Which is kind of the point - they're saying things that appear mutually exclusive. So who believes what?

It gives one side the ammo they need and it gives the other side the ammo they need.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Dec 2009 16:22

Ideal
Dirk Gently people are screaming for blood at lack of investment and lack of ambition.

That is rewriting the truth to fit your arguments, I find instead I am comfortable with the level of spending, what I am NOT comfortable with is the way the manager has spent the money available to him, and the way the manager picks the team, as well as the tactics he selects.

I do not at all have a problem with the spending, or the sale of players, the problem here is the manager and his inability to make the most of the resources that are available to him.

I happen to think there are many who think the same as me on this subject, and are not just "screaming for money", but are in fact painfully aware that the manager has not made the most of the resources available.
I think the fact that the manager signed a right back for half a million pounds, and then proceeds to play a left-footed player ouyt of position instead speaks volumes of his abilities in the transfer market.

Unless DG made two completely different quotes and I missed one, you've just taken his point, changed it and then taken it completely out of context.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 09 Dec 2009 16:25

ZacNaloen Sorry, what is your argument?

Is it that starting next season, or this season, with a points deduction on top of having to sell our best players to cover the debt that was the reason for that points reduction... is better than selling our players not having the disadvantage of points reduction and if we get relegated starting a season with no enforced disadvantages and being in a safer financial position?

I'm not following the reasoning really.

Specualte to accumulate.

What are the implications for the club were it to go into administration. On what basis or grounds would the club go into adminuistration?

I was merely pointing out what the club can look forward to if we are relegated to League 1. Irrespective as to whether or not the club is in, or goes into, administration. Now, what is worse? Sitting around doing nothing and hoping that some good comes out of this season, or... spending some money sensibly and wisely on payers who can ensure our current league status?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 09 Dec 2009 16:33

I think i'll let Dirk respond to that, if he feels like it. Although I've seen him do it about 20 times in the last year.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 09 Dec 2009 17:10

Nope, not really. What sort of help were you offering?

Hammond is a waste of space as well, needless on the wage budget, why aren't we cutting costs?

Regime OUT ASAP, new regime in please, best xmas present ever.

Madejski is like Saddam Hussein with Comical Ali Rodgers in charge of processings.

LOLaugble.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 09 Dec 2009 17:51

papereyes
floyd__streete
andrew1957 I have no recollection of "sneering".

I do.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72395&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=20

Bottom of page 2, sunshine. Better luck next year, indeed.

Sorry, but that's worth quoting

22nd March 2008

I have not posted for a while as I usually get loads of abuse for being far too positive but thought I would update this article as it has turned out to be quite accurate so far.

I am sure Alan P, Victor and Floyd amongst others must be really drowning their sorrows tonight as it looks ever more likely that Reading will be in the PL again next season!

Bad luck chaps - maybe your wishes will come true next year.

6th May 2008
If I am wrong and we go down I will freely admit that I was complacent and that I know a lot less about football than I thought

:?

LOL don't even remember that, not that I actually care what anyone else thinks, perfectly capable of making my own mind up from what's on offer. Just like then, as it is now for Reading FC, it isn't a lot.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 09 Dec 2009 18:17

Alan Partridge
floyd__streete
andrew1957 I have no recollection of "sneering".

I do.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72395&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=20

Bottom of page 2, sunshine. Better luck next year, indeed.

Sorry, but that's worth quoting

22nd March 2008

I have not posted for a while as I usually get loads of abuse for being far too positive but thought I would update this article as it has turned out to be quite accurate so far.

I am sure Alan P, Victor and Floyd amongst others must be really drowning their sorrows tonight as it looks ever more likely that Reading will be in the PL again next season!

Bad luck chaps - maybe your wishes will come true next year.

6th May 2008
If I am wrong and we go down I will freely admit that I was complacent and that I know a lot less about football than I thought

LOL don't even remember that, not that I actually care what anyone else thinks, perfectly capable of making my own mind up from what's on offer. Just like then, as it is now for Reading FC, it isn't a lot.

I am impressed that some of you have so much time on your hands that you can find post that I made nearly two years ago.

If you search hard you will find other ones where I freely admitted that I had been wrong about us surviving in the PL that season. To this day I really don't understand how we loused it up - much as I don't understand how we did the same again last season. Legend that he was - something was definitely very wrong in the Coppell camp towards the end of his reign.

My point then as it is now is that a supporter should really support the club and not just use every opportunity to slag off the manager, chairman and players. That is not to say that we should not objectively criticise when things go wrong, but some of you seem to take delight in every failure - which I really don't understand - which is the point i made in the quote above.

For me BR has the making of a great manager. We may not be winning every week but we are playing with much more style than we have for the past two seasons. This may have consequenses in the short term as the Championship seems to favour team's that clog their way through games and make agricultural tackles - as Palace were guilty of a lot last night. BR obviously wants us to play football and I applaud that. I think it will serve us well in the long run, as our young players learn to play properly and also toughen up at the same time. For me that was the reason we did so well in 2005/6 because we played football and yet were tough and hard to beat at the same time. We were also extremely lucky with injuries that year, as we had no strength in depth at all - only 15 players made a significant number of appearances all season. We have had twice as many and worse injuries already this season which has hardly helped.

So fine feel free to criticise me for posts I made nearly 2 years ago, but I will continue to support the Rodger's revolution as I really belive he is the best chance we have of PL football again on an even more limited budget than we had last time round. I would rather we go down to League 1 playing good football than buy in a few old Championship hardened cloggers just to survive in 20th place for the next three seasons. Far better to persevere with the younger players and build a future around them - even if there are reverses along the way.

Let us hope the owner is not as fickle as some of you are and gives BR the full backing that he deserves.