Back from the Game - Crystal Palace

241 posts
Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the Game - Crystal Palace

by Man Friday » 10 Dec 2009 15:10

So 99% of the scientists are wrong and you Andrew, aged 52 and 3/4, is correct. I had my suspicions about you from your complacent pro-Rodgers drivel, now I'm convinced.

Don't tell me all the complacent pro-Rodgers brigade (Royalee is even anti-Coppell FFS) are in the conspiracy camp whereas the realists are, well, realists?

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 10 Dec 2009 15:16

Man Friday So 99% of the scientists are wrong and you Andrew, aged 52 and 3/4, is correct. I had my suspicions about you from your complacent pro-Rodgers drivel, now I'm convinced.

Don't tell me all the complacent pro-Rodgers brigade (Royalee is even anti-Coppell FFS) are in the conspiracy camp whereas the realists are, well, realists?

You're really doing Andrew and injustice here MF.

There is a possibility he's still 51.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 10 Dec 2009 15:18

Man Friday So 99% of the scientists are wrong and you Andrew, aged 52 and 3/4, is correct. I had my suspicions about you from your complacent pro-Rodgers drivel, now I'm convinced.

Actually scientists are split about 50/50 on the issue of global warming - not that you will ever hear that on the news.

Actually 52 and one month.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 10 Dec 2009 17:11

andrew1957
Check the facts for yourself before you are abusive. The global temperature has been falling for several years and only a couple of weeks ago scientists at East Anglia Uni were caught red handed manipulating the data - even reported on BBC - to try to make global warming look real.

If you are clever enough to use google then you can find all this out for yourself.

Just because a few scientists are manipulating data to try and support what they want to be true doesn't suddenly make it false. And yes I know that there are a lot of scientists out there who don't agree that we are experiencing global warming.

We can't prove 100% that there was a big bang, but that doesn't mean that I don't think it happened. You have to look at the data and make your own mind up. Pictures of the boundaries of the polar ice caps a few decades ago compared to now would seem to suggest that at the very least temperatures at the poles are on the rise.

Global temperatures may well have fallen, but you have to ask yourself how significant this is? If we are currently in a trend of falling global temperatures which is part of a cyclical process of rises and falls over the millenia then the effects of pollution fuelled global warming over a relatively minute period of just a couple of hundred years will be harder to detect. Perhaps without our emissions global temperatures would have fallen even more than they have.

The fact remains that a lot of studies (if not most) have shown increasing global temperatures - a lot of those 50% of scientists who you say don't believe in global warming actually don't dispute the idea of rising temperatures, just whether it's man made or not.

At the end of the day, as I say you have to look at the data and theory for yourself as with the big bang and decide if you have faith in the science or not. FWIW I think that pumping too much CO2 into the atmposphere can't be a good thing for these reasons:

1. Possibility of global warming is supported by enough scientists to warrant being taken seriously and for us to act.
2. CO2 is a product of our use of fossil fuels - these will not last forever - cutting back then and investing in R&D into clean energy makes sense in the long term.
3. C02 contributes to acid rain.
4. Global sea acidity is rising and this is already causing imbalances in marine ecosystems. This gets little press but it's a potentially massive problem.

In short pumping huge amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere is not a good thing. Personally I blam Neil Warnock for global warming - he's always pumping out methane...

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 10 Dec 2009 18:04

Actually scientists are split about 50/50 on the issue of global warming

scientists are massively behind global warming being a true phenomenon
even those behind manmade climate change are way in excess of 50%

it dont make it true, but your suggestion is rubbish

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 10 Dec 2009 18:17

Depends which scientists you mean - climatologists and meteorologists are about 98% convinced by climate change. Theoretical physicists not so much....

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 10 Dec 2009 18:18

i read that as theatrical physicists :oops:

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 10 Dec 2009 18:20

In theory our team should be able to cope with 4-3-3/4-5-1.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 10 Dec 2009 18:24

Dirk Gently

Depends which scientists you mean - climatologists and meteorologists are about 98% convinced by climate change. Theoretical physicists not so much....

Wasn't Albert Einstein a theoretical physiscist?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Dec 2009 18:49

Muskrat
Dirk Gently

Knew oxf*rd all about clouds and rain though.

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 10 Dec 2009 18:55

Muskrat
Dirk Gently

Theoretically yes, but in reality he was "a very naughty boy"! :wink:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Dec 2009 19:05

Having watched the highlights I can't say I'm pleased with Federici, but I was expecting much worse from him given all the criticism he's been getting for the game. Question marks certainly, but by far the more at fault were the defence and midfield gifting possession and shooting chances to Palace unnecessarily again and again.

Not tracking runners, ball watching, no communication, leaving it for each other to challenge or getting in each other's way. Shambolic and clueless, which is exactly how the team looked against QPR.

Gunnarsson really should never have had a contract extension. He's more talented than any of our other defensive midfielders, but his fitness and pace make him a total liability these days.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 10 Dec 2009 20:34

Ian Royal Having watched the highlights I can't say I'm pleased with Federici, but I was expecting much worse from him given all the criticism he's been getting for the game. Question marks certainly, but by far the more at fault were the defence and midfield gifting possession and shooting chances to Palace unnecessarily again and again.

Not tracking runners, ball watching, no communication, leaving it for each other to challenge or getting in each other's way. Shambolic and clueless, which is exactly how the team looked against QPR.

Gunnarsson really should never have had a contract extension. He's more talented than any of our other defensive midfielders, but his fitness and pace make him a total liability these days.

Can we try and stay on topic please... what do you think about global warming? :wink:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Dec 2009 20:41

It's too late to do enough about it given too few people believe it's happening or think there's anything we need to / can do to reverse it.

We is fooked.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 10 Dec 2009 21:48

Ian Royal It's too late to do enough about it given too few people believe it's happening or think there's anything we need to / can do to reverse it.

We is fooked.

Is this global warming or the team. I'm easy on the two analogies.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 10 Dec 2009 22:00

andrew1957

Actually scientists are split about 50/50 on the issue of global warming - not that you will ever hear that on the news.

Actually 52 and one month.

Is 52 your IQ?

Big McC

by Big McC » 10 Dec 2009 22:07

Have to smile at some of the posters on this thread! "The irony of the information age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" John Lawton (1995) in address to American Association of Broadcast Journalists.

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 10 Dec 2009 22:11

Big McC Have to smile at some of the posters on this thread! "The irony of the information age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" John Lawton (1995) in address to American Association of Broadcast Journalists.

Was a crap game though TBF.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 10 Dec 2009 22:16

Big McC Have to smile at some of the posters on this thread! "The irony of the information age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" John Lawton (1995) in address to American Association of Broadcast Journalists.

Don't debase uninformed opinion. I keeps us all going.
:wink:

Big McC

by Big McC » 10 Dec 2009 22:17

Pseud O'Nym

Was a crap game though TBF.

Yes - Agree 100%!

241 posts