Misty water coloured memories.........

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Misty water coloured memories.........

by PEARCEY » 14 Dec 2009 20:36

CMRoyal
Wycombe Royal
CMRoyal The manager without whom we would never even have tasted top tier football - Coppell.

Q, E and indeed D.

I'm not taking anything away from what he achieved, but to say that part of our problems now were NOT caused by him is wrong in my opinion.

Well, of course he isn't perfect. I was just balancing the debate a little. I have said before that in retrospect SC probably should have resigned at the end of the first Premier League season. Why? Because he knew we couldn't attract the calibre of player he wanted from within the top two English divisions and knew that he would therefore have to put his trust in new, overseas finds - I don't think his heart was truly in that option. I think an Allardyce or a Bruce (or whoever of that ilk might have been available at the time) possibly would have been able to deploy a few rough cuts from the Prem and Championship instead, and we might have survived. But let's face it, it wouldn't have been pretty. The one thing that couldn't have been forecast, however, was the appalling attitude of some of our "stars", and they take much of the blame as well.

Excellent post CM Royal.

Sir Rodger Doyle

by Sir Rodger Doyle » 14 Dec 2009 22:08

Royal With Cheese
Royalee Stay away Coppell, you've wasted two chances of Premiership football, don't waste next year's as well once Rodgers has sorted your shit out.

You can say a lot of things about Coppell, but the shit Rodgers is in is nothing to do with Coppell. You may even have a valid point to argue that the shit is Madejski's. Get over it numb nuts.

Nothing to do with Coppell?

"I don't want to finish in the UEFA cup spot"

Upon the post Christmas collapse and relegation, "I know where I went wrong, I put too much faith in MY players and I have learnt from that mistake. I should have changed things, sorry"

Car park idiots beg him to stay.

Upon the carbon copy post Christmas collapse. "I know where I went wrong, blah, blah, coda.................."

Then he left before the final reckoning.

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 15 Dec 2009 08:43

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Everyone makes mistakes and least we forget the players were as much at fault as SC. Least we forget the completely forgetable performances of SHunt, Shorey, Marcus (that Birmingham first goal is completely lame) and many more during that period.

To blame the current situation on SC's shoulders is folly.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 15 Dec 2009 11:43

Royalee Stay away Coppell, you've wasted two chances of Premiership football, don't waste next year's as well once Rodgers has sorted your shit out.

I feel genuine pity for you Royalee. It must be so difficult following a sport you know absolutely nothing about. You need to seek professional help very quickly, or else I fear for your future in the real world.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 15 Dec 2009 12:30

strap

I feel genuine pity for you Royalee. It must be so difficult following a sport you know absolutely nothing about. You need to seek professional help very quickly, or else I fear for your future in the real world.

I take it you were one of the car park goons?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 15 Dec 2009 12:30

Ideal

Are you piloting your spaceship to parts unknown? It seems you are on a totally different planet.
If you seriously think Rodgers will get us promoted this season, "after he sorts Coppells shit out", then there is something very disturbing about your perception of reality. Let me break it down to you:
RODGERS
IS
TAKING
US
DOWN

HTH

You may as well be in a spaceship for all the games you manage to get to.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 15 Dec 2009 12:59

Royalee Ingimarsson and Gunnarsson are past it, Long hasn't improved in 4 years - he's probably got worse since he joined us. Kid yourself that they'd be brilliant if Coppell was still here though. :lol:

We haven't got that many players who are playing poorly - just those from Coppell, plus Federici's been erratic. Performances have been good otherwise, we just need to start putting away chances. So much for your conspiracy theory.

What about signing Lita for £1 million and getting nothing for him? What about getting nothing for Sidwell? What about signing Fae for £2.5 million and only getting a fraction of that back? What about signing Convey for £850k and getting nothing back? What about signing Duberry for £800k and getting nothing back? What about signing Halls for £500k and getting nothing back? What about signing Sodje for £500k and getting nothing back? What about signing Owusu, Brooker and Morgan for £200k a pop and getting nothing back? What about signing Seol/Rosenior and getting nothing back? Get your facts straight for a change.

Goodness me Royalee do you ever take a breather before you post away like a man possesed. Constantly scratching around for evidence is cringe worthy and something which you seem to do best. At the end of the day we produced some top players who went on to better themselves and for once we were able to gain financially from it. I seem to remember tin pot reading flogging Hislop for a paltry 1.5 million when we didnt half half the resources or man management.

In the case of Sidwell you have absolutely no arguement to form as it clearly worked for both parties. Lita was one that got away but his form had dived at Reading. The rest of your 'case studies' clearly show your lack of understanding regarding what a 'squad' entails. Like many other clubs up and down the land there are going to be players of the likes of Sodje,Bennett, Halls,(of which you incorrectly give his transfer fee (250k)-get your facts straight :roll: ),Owusu etc etc who are bought to simply supplement the squad and move on once their time is up. If we were spending silly money to get in squad players i would be worried but most ranged from 200-500k so the risk was low financially. The risks though are there in any transfers, you only have to look at Cummings and Mills in the current management era to realise that.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 15 Dec 2009 13:22

Ideal So, you are not denying that your perception of reality is in such a state that you genuinely believe that Rodgers will get us promoted this season "once he sorts Coppells shit out"??? Or will you now backtrack on that, or deny making such a statement?

Not this season - this season is about transition, clearing out the dross Coppell left us with and building a good young team. Perhaps next season we can push for a playoff spot and do well and I'd be happy with that.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 15 Dec 2009 14:14

Do you have a problem understanding English after those years abroad? Next year if Rodgers is here we can push for a playoff spot which would be a chance of going up. Coppell wasted our chances of Premiership football in the last two seasons in failing to stay up and then failing to go up last season. If Coppell returns then we won't challenge next season - simple enough for you to understand?

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 15 Dec 2009 14:31

Royalee
strap

I take it you were one of the car park goons?

Last game of the regular season:-

1-2 v Brum = goons
2-1 v Brum = saviours

It's a thin line when you don't see things in absolutes.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 15 Dec 2009 14:37

strap

Be easy on him - he suffers from Delusion of Adecquacy in nearly every aspect of his life - HNA? seems to work as some kind of outlet where he can feel, well, "Special"

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 15 Dec 2009 14:38

CMRoyal

1-2 v Brum = goons
2-1 v Brum = saviours

Except we were relying on the Sheffield United game as well and were totally outplayed by Birmingham, and then Burnley beat us in the playoffs.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 15 Dec 2009 14:40

wolsey
strap

Be easy on him - he suffers from Delusion of Adecquacy in nearly every aspect of his life - HNA? seems to work as some kind of outlet where he can feel, well, "Special"

I'd learn to spell long words before you attempt to use them - it makes your vocabulary look inadequate.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 15 Dec 2009 14:53

wolsey
strap
Royalee

I'd learn to spell long words before you attempt to use them - it makes your vocabulary look inadequate.

There you go again, concentrating on nit-picky details, yet failing to grasp the whole message.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 15 Dec 2009 14:56

No no, I understand how the whole message was put and had to chuckle at it - well done for making me laugh.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 15 Dec 2009 14:58

Royalee
CMRoyal

1-2 v Brum = goons
2-1 v Brum = saviours

Except we were relying on the Sheffield United game as well and were totally outplayed by Birmingham, and then Burnley beat us in the playoffs.

Like I say, thin lines.

Let's see what happens when SC comes back from his year off. If he can be bothered to travel/move, he'll have the pick of underachieving Championship clubs in the summer - a straight BR versus SC season (assuming we stay up) would ignite some interesting debates here!

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 15 Dec 2009 15:00

I'd like that.

Cookie

by Cookie » 15 Dec 2009 18:51

"They are the newcomers to the Premiership neighbourhood who want to settle in and clearly do not want to make asses of themselves by trying to be something they are not. No cockiness. No silliness. No nonsense. "

No points :wink:

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 15 Dec 2009 18:55

Still amazes me we were in with a chance in the last game of the season to go up!

What a victory it would have been...

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 15 Dec 2009 19:03

Archie's penalty Still amazes me we were in with a chance in the last game of the season to go up!

What a victory it would have been...

But we wouldn't have deserved to go up and it would have been Coppells swan song anyway. Would it have stripped the team down (who knows), the only thing it would have achieved is writing SSC history with this club. It would have possibly made the club more attractive to other managers, possibly players and maybe the cutting back and realligning the wage structure would have been delayed for possibly another year. As said......a fine line. I would say though that the club would be financially screwed playing with the big boys and trying to stay in contention.