So what did for Rodgers?

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

Re: So what did for Rodgers?

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 17 Dec 2009 00:07

79Royal I'm convinced Rodgers walked due to lack of money in January. Whoever we get next will either be promoted from within or on a short term contract, no doubt with bonuses for keeping us up to offset the poor wage he'll be on.

if that is the reason then we are really in the crapper, as what kind manager would take the job knowing there's no money available? One who'd just be glad of work for 6 months, probably.

Unless we get some kind of miracle worker in, I think we are watching the final nails being hammered into the coffin of our season.

Blue_Elm

by Blue_Elm » 17 Dec 2009 00:11

Dont worry, we just need to scrape 50 points this season. Lets stay up, then look at moving up the table next season.

CentiaRoyal

by CentiaRoyal » 17 Dec 2009 00:18

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... +Online%29

Reading parted company with manager Brendan Rodgers on Wednesday after a disagreement with chairman John Madejski over spending in the January transfer window.

Rodgers, who has generated £12million for the club by selling players who have starred in the Premier League, insisted reinforcements would be needed to avoid relegation.

Madejski, however, claimed survival ought to be possible with the players already in the squad and the pair agreed there would be no point Rodgers continuing in his frame of mind.

It has proved another difficult Championship campaign for Reading, who are struggling near the drop zone and will lose their Premier League parachute payments next summer.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z0Ztke72Up

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 17 Dec 2009 00:25

CentiaRoyal Madejski, however, claimed survival ought to be possible with the players already in the squad and the pair agreed there would be no point Rodgers continuing in his frame of mind.

Wouldn't it have been Hammond claiming that rather than Madejksi ?

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 17 Dec 2009 00:26

CentiaRoyal http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... +Online%29

Reading parted company with manager Brendan Rodgers on Wednesday after a disagreement with chairman John Madejski over spending in the January transfer window.

Rodgers, who has generated £12million for the club by selling players who have starred in the Premier League, insisted reinforcements would be needed to avoid relegation.

Madejski, however, claimed survival ought to be possible with the players already in the squad and the pair agreed there would be no point Rodgers continuing in his frame of mind.

It has proved another difficult Championship campaign for Reading, who are struggling near the drop zone and will lose their Premier League parachute payments next summer.

I think this is bullshit. How can they make those claims when all the club has said: "No comment".

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 17 Dec 2009 00:28

I've been mulling over this one.
Frame of mind??????
A non existant transfer window IN then?????

Or journo lingo twisting out a story.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 17 Dec 2009 00:28

A little thing called investigative journalism.

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 17 Dec 2009 00:29

Thaumagurist*

I think this is bullshit. How can they make those claims when all the club has said: "No comment".

Aha, But has BR said "no comment"?
If it was down to money, I can see BR not agreeing to a gagging clause and naturally he would want to defend his reputation by saying no money was available - helps him get the net job.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 17 Dec 2009 00:36

what did it for rodgers?? How this for starters?

8 Aug Nottm Forest H Championship 0-0
11 Aug Burton Albion H League Cup 1 5-1
15 Aug Newcastle A Championship 0-3
18 Aug Swansea A Championship 0-0
22 Aug Sheff Utd H Championship 1-3
25 Aug Barnsley H League Cup 2 1-2

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 17 Dec 2009 00:44

This squad IS more than good enough to avoid the drop and how many other clubs in this division have already spent 3.5 million in the transfer market?

If this really is the reason for his departure then, good riddance.

We are a Championship club that is about to lose its parachute payments and, as such, when our manager spends 2 million on a centre half there needs to be a damn good reason why he doesn't make the match day squad...................I've yet to hear one :|

This is very sad news for Rodgers on a personal level but it will give us the chance to appoint someone who is less of a wild card.............................assuming such a person has not been lined up already and THIS is the REAL reason for tonights surprise news.

PS. Bring back Coppell and they can kiss goodbye to my season ticket.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 17 Dec 2009 01:31, edited 1 time in total.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 17 Dec 2009 00:46

What did it for Rodger was him being sh*t.

As a bunch of us were screaming before he joined.

A 27 game record where you rise six places is not a record at all.

Bloody obvious to some of us but not to the man whose decision mattered most.

Curbs please.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 17 Dec 2009 01:01

there were so many reasons

his manner - he is exactly the sort of person who comes accross well at interview but then you realise you've employed a blusterer. He talked big but delivered small. He should have kept his mouth shut on a number of occasions including

The whole Tommy Smith debacle - he should never have spoken to the press about that

World class nonsense and his big folder which will surely be all that is remembered about him in years to come - very much like terry and his taxi

the endless championship manager computer game esqu changes to the squad and formations. he just couldnt stop tampering - his biggest ever mistake was leving Gylfi out against Crystal Palace

too pally with the players - yes they'll miss him but give me a capello above a mcalren any day. I remember that STAR commented when they met with him that he made a point of mentioning that one of the reading players mentioned that it was the first time he had ben in the managers office for a chat as though Coppell was at fault for keeping a distance - but he was actually at fault

the Minister of information soundbites about how everything was rosy

Some comments about players went too far - I really didnt like his 'out of respect we offered him a further year' comment about Ivar

the strange transfer dealings - yes he delivered rasiak and macnuff - but that was a package that he tried before at watford. Mills was a mystery and dont get me started on O'dea

Some people might remember the secret diary i did on him in September - people liked it but the main reason was that there was so much parody and unintentional humour about the guy - he never gained respect. he quickly became a laughing stock and the QPR match showed that the supporters would never really warm to him

Its been a damaging period for reading - he was a good guy out of his depth. The next few matches will be crtical.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 17 Dec 2009 01:06

Only one Trevor Morley there were so many reasons

his manner - he is exactly the sort of person who comes accross well at interview but then you realise you've employed a blusterer. He talked big but delivered small. He should have kept his mouth shut on a number of occasions including

The whole Tommy Smith debacle - he should never have spoken to the press about that

World class nonsense and his big folder which will surely be all that is remembered about him in years to come - very much like terry and his taxi

the endless championship manager computer game esqu changes to the squad and formations. he just couldnt stop tampering - his biggest ever mistake was leving Gylfi out against Crystal Palace
too pally with the players - yes they'll miss him but give me a capello above a mcalren any day. I remember that STAR commented when they met with him that he made a point of mentioning that one of the reading players mentioned that it was the first time he had ben in the managers office for a chat as though Coppell was at fault for keeping a distance - but he was actually at fault

the Minister of information soundbites about how everything was rosy

Some comments about players went too far - I really didnt like his 'out of respect we offered him a further year' comment about Ivar

the strange transfer dealings - yes he delivered rasiak and macnuff - but that was a package that he tried before at watford. Mills was a mystery and dont get me started on O'dea

Some people might remember the secret diary i did on him in September - people liked it but the main reason was that there was so much parody and unintentional humour about the guy - he never gained respect. he quickly became a laughing stock and the QPR match showed that the supporters would never really warm to him

Its been a damaging period for reading - he was a good guy out of his depth. The next few matches will be crtical.

Yep, that stands out as the moment he lost alot of fans. Myself included to an extent.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 17 Dec 2009 01:07

Mills could potentially cost £2millon and not the £2million up front as people seem to suggest. The BBC Berks interview was probably the final nail in the coffin, the truth is over the course of 21 league games we haven't won enough games despite having the better of it in some games. There is so much negativity going around the club at the moment which seems to have started at the Sheff Utd game with the "Where's the money gone" chants and carried on from there.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 17 Dec 2009 02:06

The Quiet Man What did for him, same as any other manager - results (not performances). I would presume there were targets set when he got the job and he was nowhere close when it came to review time. Many of those targets would also impact on the club in general - half season ticket offers, new commercial sponsors, optimistic positive supporters prepared to spend their dosh in the club shop. What did SJM get, a side closer to relegation than is comfortable, declining attendances, apathetic fan base due to lack of home wins, poor merchandising and franchise sales and a direction of travel that was down instead of up.

Some of that may be due to the economy in general but much of it was down to the lack of identity or focus round the team, a team that consistently failed to win at home, a team that had not gelled and a manager that didn't really connect with the supporters in general as the gap between his public statements and what was happening on the pitch was massive - Palace and Scunthorpe probably put the tin hat on the decision as once again instead of building on a positive away result the his team self destructed taking one point from a very winnable six just before the budget decisions for the January window.

This ^^^^

And TOOTM's post is very well put too.

sawyers left arm

Scandalous..........

by sawyers left arm » 17 Dec 2009 02:12

Rogers was sacked because I think he had the bear faced cheek to ask for money in the January transfer window. What a scandalous thing to do to ask Mr Mad for some money........
What else can it be poor recent results?

I am appaled at how our great club is being flushed down the toilet by a wantaway chairman and a rubbish goalkeeper. Who appointed BR in the first place?
Lets go the whole hog and employ Sanchez! Conference here we come

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 17 Dec 2009 02:30

Only one Trevor Morley dont get me started on O'dea

Best defender at the club, can't understand how he hasn't played. He will be back in Celtics side when he returns. If anything LOL at playing Ivar in the form he has been.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 17 Dec 2009 02:55

Horsham Royal
Thaumagurist*

Aha, But has BR said "no comment"?
If it was down to money, I can see BR not agreeing to a gagging clause and naturally he would want to defend his reputation by saying no money was available - helps him get the net job.
The downside to that account is if he left due to lack of funds and didn't agree to a no-comment clause, he wouldn't get a payoff. As it is, he'll be able to let it be hinted that it was about money, while the club is happy to be shot of him for any reason. I'm sure they came to a suitable agreement.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 17 Dec 2009 09:53

Pretty sure it was Rother's post the other day saying all will be fine an we'll finish mid table that finished poor old BR off.

:wink:

He went now because we must have someone lined up and they wanna give him some time before Jan to look at the squad.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Dec 2009 10:03

Falling attendances, poor performances and the fact that there is no discernable improvement in the team this season - add to the fact that we can't afford to go down had SJM hitting the eject button.