So what did for Rodgers?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: So what did for Rodgers?

by Royal Lady » 17 Dec 2009 10:06

BR knew there wasn't much money, if any, for January - most of us realised that, so he 100% knew. You come into a team and are told they are having to sell off their big money players - and you're given a modest amount to replace them with, but you blow £2 million on a player you hardly play. You big up the team and its prospects to such an extent that you start to believe all the spin yourself and you think you're the second Mourinho. He's come back down to earth with a bump. It's never nice losing your job, esp around Xmas time, but tbh he's brought it all on himself. Whether it's just naievity, I don't know. But I think he might just be a "wee" bit more humble with his next team.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 17 Dec 2009 10:07

My suspicions are that it was indeed a showdown meeting over money.

Then again he was at the RFC Christmas party the night he was sacked, perhaps he copped off with Cilla :O

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 17 Dec 2009 10:07

I actually find his departure worrying if he had a conversation with the "board" along the lines of what needed to done in January and JM said "sorry you've done it already" and Brendan then turned round and basically said to support him or he'd go....

Where would that leave a new manager (or the possibility of getting an experienced manager at all)

(.)Boobies(.)

by (.)Boobies(.) » 17 Dec 2009 10:08

Royal Lady BR knew there wasn't much money, if any, for January - most of us realised that, so he 100% knew. You come into a team and are told they are having to sell off their big money players - and you're given a modest amount to replace them with, but you blow £2 million on a player you hardly play. You big up the team and its prospects to such an extent that you start to believe all the spin yourself and you think you're the second Mourinho. He's come back down to earth with a bump. It's never nice losing your job, esp around Xmas time, but tbh he's brought it all on himself. Whether it's just naievity, I don't know. But I think he might just be a "wee" bit more humble with his next team.

Again, we spent £1.1m on Matthew Mills, not £2m. The rest is based on apperances and promotion to the Premier League.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 17 Dec 2009 10:10

Maguire Doubt Dellor's interview did anything at all - Madejski must have spent hours of his life speaking to Rodgers, so a two min soundbite won't make any difference. Results, talking shit, bit of over-reaction after what happened 10-15 years ago, etc. Many factors I imagine.

Absolutely. Rumours that Madejksi was apoplectic at the final whistle, well before Brendan's infamous radio interview. Suspect that BR had lost the respect of Howe and Hammond some time before, the support were voting with their feet and Saturday's capitulation was the final nail in the coffin for JM.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 17 Dec 2009 10:11

Wimb My suspicions are that it was indeed a showdown meeting over money.

Then again he was at the RFC Christmas party the night he was sacked, perhaps he copped off with Cilla :O

It wasn't. He was out of a job long before that meeting.

Kurtz

by Kurtz » 17 Dec 2009 10:12

If not said elsewhere then I suspect yet another factor on JM's list is that the Chairman bills himself as the Earl of Reading and that it's clear that Rodgers had lost the support of the town. Dellor's interview may have helped re-inforce that point in the quesionning rather than Rodgers stressed out response. Once the media is against you it's very hard to get back.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 17 Dec 2009 10:13

JM's a tough man to find sometimes....

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 17 Dec 2009 10:13

(.)Boobies(.)
Royal Lady BR knew there wasn't much money, if any, for January - most of us realised that, so he 100% knew. You come into a team and are told they are having to sell off their big money players - and you're given a modest amount to replace them with, but you blow £2 million on a player you hardly play. You big up the team and its prospects to such an extent that you start to believe all the spin yourself and you think you're the second Mourinho. He's come back down to earth with a bump. It's never nice losing your job, esp around Xmas time, but tbh he's brought it all on himself. Whether it's just naievity, I don't know. But I think he might just be a "wee" bit more humble with his next team.

Again, we spent £1.1m on Matthew Mills, not £2m. The rest is based on apperances and promotion to the Premier League.
OK. He "committed" £2 million on Mills.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 17 Dec 2009 10:17

On the other hand, he presumably took the job in the knowledge that x% of the money made from selling Doyle, Hunt and Bikey would go towards paying for new players. Then the overdraft was called in which changed the complexion of the relationship completely. I think Rodgers is guilty of summer hubris, but to be fair to him, he did start to act when he realised he couldn't turn the youngsters into world-beaters and it must have been a real blow having to offload Harps and Rosey and to be told that he couldn't strengthen the squad to the degree he was first promised. I even suspect that had he known how the financial situation was going to develop, he wouldn't have bought Mills, and the reason Matt isn't playing is so that we can offload him without making a loss.

A sad state of affairs, and you'd have to have a heart of stone not to feel the merest twinge of sympathy for Rodgers.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 17 Dec 2009 10:25

Conceding 4 goals twice in the space of about half a dozen matches can't have helped including one of those at home against a team that had just been stuffed themselves and not paid. Says it all really. Plus Scunthorpe could have had 4 themselves (2 one-on-ones plus a chance at the end).

The facts speak for themselves really. Things were just not right -simple as.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 17 Dec 2009 10:29

21st Reading after 21 games probably