680 posts

who do you want as our next manager?

George Burley, a jock who likes his booze
2%
Darren Ferguson, another jock
27%
Steve Coppell, never go back?
13%
Lawrie Sanchez, no personality/long ball?
2%
Steve Cotterill, another Brenda = talks a good game but little else?
1%
Gareth Southgate, ummm track record?
6%
Alan Curbishley, out of his comfort zone?
29%
Sean O Driscoll, unproven at a big club?
4%
Paul Hart, better as a youth coach?
0%
Glen Hoddle, has the halo lost its glow?
3%
Paul Tisdale, the thinking man's crumpet?
6%
Phil Parkinson, mean, angry but has he the nous?
6%

Total votes: 326
Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: The Fans decide: poll for next manager

by Arch » 17 Dec 2009 15:23

Thaumagurist*
Royalee Burley - sacked by Ipswich, Hearts and Scotland, wouldn't be able to afford him and he wouldn't be able to do anything with this squad.

Sacked by Hearts? I may be wrong, but I seem to remember that he walked out on Hearts because he didn't like the interference from the chairman when it came to team selection.

By the way, he wasn't long at Derby either.

Still he has a track record at this level with Ipswich.
He got Ipswich to fifth in the PL and the UEFA cup. Unfortunately, since then he's taken some really crap jobs and not had much success with them.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Next Manager

by Focher » 17 Dec 2009 15:24

If Mcdermott got the job i would be utterly livid. When has somebody with no experience walked into a Premier League or championship club and done a good job in recent years???? Im happy to be corrected but i can't think of one.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 17 Dec 2009 15:25

Arnie_Pie
winchester_royal McDermott now 6/4 to be next manager.........

Relegation beckons. If true.

He could prove to be an inspired choice, a la Pardew, he might prove to be a disaster.

We just don't know, but there is no manager we can appoint in our current position that would guarantee survival.

And TBF McDermott has always come across as a smart, down to earth guy....he knows the players already....might be a good option.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 17 Dec 2009 15:27

Focher If Mcdermott got the job i would be utterly livid. When has somebody with no experience walked into a Premier League or championship club and done a good job in recent years???? Im happy to be corrected but i can't think of one.

Chris Hughton?

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 17 Dec 2009 15:38

But, but, but, but... McDermott is bald and wears glasses.
He scares me. :cry:

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 17 Dec 2009 15:44

Arch
Focher If Mcdermott got the job i would be utterly livid. When has somebody with no experience walked into a Premier League or championship club and done a good job in recent years???? Im happy to be corrected but i can't think of one.

Chris Hughton?

Hughton has managed on extended caretaker basis at Tottenham and Newcastle many many times. McDermott has had 1 games hasnt he? Hughton has also been directly involved with 1st team football for many many years.

So no.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 17 Dec 2009 15:52

Thaumagurist*
Arnie_Pie

Why? Based on what?

Have you forgotten that he guided the reserve team to the title a season back or so?

Not so much because of that but a little.

1. He is a reserve team coach for a reason. He has done to job for long enough he would have gone somewhere else by now if he had any aspirations.

2. More importantly, it would without doubt mean that JM has no intention of forking out any money for new players in January, therefore pretty much consigning us to relegation. Cheapest manager option = no money.

Eastkentroyal

by Eastkentroyal » 17 Dec 2009 15:55

Roy Keane

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 17 Dec 2009 15:58

Eastkentroyal

Roy Keane

Thank you, i stand corrected.

McDermott is no Keane tho :wink:

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 17 Dec 2009 16:05

I've said elsewhere Dolan would have got the job if they were gonna appoint from within.

BM doesn't want to be a manager.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 17 Dec 2009 16:15

winchester_royal
Arnie_Pie

He could prove to be an inspired choice, a la Pardew, he might prove to be a disaster.

We just don't know, but there is no manager we can appoint in our current position that would guarantee survival.

And TBF McDermott has always come across as a smart, down to earth guy....he knows the players already....might be a good option.

Weren't you saying for weeks and months that we were going to be fine, and that Rogers would come good? Now he's sacked no one can't guarentee our survival! That's a swift change of fortunes...

Anyway, if it is McDermott, then happy to give him a chance and good luck to him, but my god the club will have a lot to answer for if we do end up being relegated after a cheap internal hire.

Incidentally does Hammand have to take some accountability for the Rogers fiasco? Can't bask in the Glory of 06-08 forever.

Eastkentroyal

by Eastkentroyal » 17 Dec 2009 16:16

Focher
Eastkentroyal

Roy Keane

Of course he is not a Roy Keane. But his personal qualities are known to Chairman Mad and he knows the squad. Personally I think Brendan threw his dummy out of the pram yesterday and with all the stupid rhetoric, large watches, tank tops and now a fit of pique it was decided that enough was enough.

I hope that the appointment of a new manager will not be a knee jerk reaction. If it were me I would spend some time in my hotel in the Galapagos Islands thinking and hard about what would be best for my football club business and it's customers.

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 17 Dec 2009 16:18

I don't believe the club will take the cheap option.

This echoes so much of the Bullivant/Burns switch that it's uncanny. First choice is unavailable, go for someone less experienced, they fail, you bring in the 'saviour' first choice.

Difference this time is that it hasn't taken until March.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 17 Dec 2009 16:46

Just been told by someone who works at PP, that a lot of money is going on Iain Dowie in last few hours ...he's now 3rd favourite

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 17 Dec 2009 16:47

Stooper I don't believe the club will take the cheap option.

This echoes so much of the Bullivant/Burns switch that it's uncanny. First choice is unavailable, go for someone less experienced, they fail, you bring in the 'saviour' first choice.

Who was the first choice this time, though?

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 17 Dec 2009 16:48

Thaumagurist*
Stooper I don't believe the club will take the cheap option.

Who was the first choice this time, though?

Ferguson. Reading went in, Posh rebuffed the offer.

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 17 Dec 2009 16:50

DOYLERSAROYALER Just been told by someone who works at PP, that a lot of money is going on Iain Dowie in last few hours ...he's now 3rd favourite

:shock:

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 17 Dec 2009 16:52

Stooper
DOYLERSAROYALER Just been told by someone who works at PP, that a lot of money is going on Iain Dowie in last few hours ...he's now 3rd favourite

I think PP stands for pisstaking pcunts tbf

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Dec 2009 17:00

Focher
Eastkentroyal

Roy Keane

How about Brendon Rodgers...the Watford model of course!

Jim Magilton did ok to start with at Ipswhich didn't he?

Southgate could be said to have been a success for a while at 'Boro. Zola at West Ham? Not going so well now thankfully, but people seem to think he's been a success because of last season.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 17 Dec 2009 17:00

Stooper

He is the only person in the world I would be more unhappy with than Rodgers, f this was to happen I would absolutely not go. So 1 positive from it 8)

680 posts