680 posts

who do you want as our next manager?

George Burley, a jock who likes his booze
2%
Darren Ferguson, another jock
27%
Steve Coppell, never go back?
13%
Lawrie Sanchez, no personality/long ball?
2%
Steve Cotterill, another Brenda = talks a good game but little else?
1%
Gareth Southgate, ummm track record?
6%
Alan Curbishley, out of his comfort zone?
29%
Sean O Driscoll, unproven at a big club?
4%
Paul Hart, better as a youth coach?
0%
Glen Hoddle, has the halo lost its glow?
3%
Paul Tisdale, the thinking man's crumpet?
6%
Phil Parkinson, mean, angry but has he the nous?
6%

Total votes: 326
MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Next Manager

by MmmMonsterMunch » 17 Dec 2009 17:46

Unfortunately I don't have a link. On the radio apparently...

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 17 Dec 2009 17:47

winchester_royal TBF to Dowie, look at what he did with Palace, who were in a very similar to posiotion to the one we're in now.

We could do much, much worse.

Personally i dont think we could do much worse. Dowie's whole career revolves around half a season at Palace, thats it. The rest of his managerial career quite literally speaks for itself.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 17 Dec 2009 17:48

Ideal
Arnie_Pie
Big Foot It will be McDermott full time.

Which means no money which means relegation.

Please. Don't get ahead of yourself.
There's no way it is going to be McDermott full time. NO WAY. Never going to happen.

Just watch m8.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 17 Dec 2009 17:49

I really hope it isn't true. Got to be brutally honest here though - surely Fergie Jnr would choose Sheff Wed over us with their huge potential & fanbase?

Lots of jobs about at the moment. If there is any truth in JM not giving Rodgers cash, then would Fergie come here? He was given a fair bit of cash to bump Posh up the leagues wasn't he? Correct me if I'm wrong on that though..

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 17 Dec 2009 17:49

Ideal
Arnie_Pie
Big Foot It will be McDermott full time.

Which means no money which means relegation.

Please. Don't get ahead of yourself.
There's no way it is going to be McDermott full time. NO WAY. Never going to happen.

I hope not but the club webby says he is to manage 'forthwith'. No mention of temporarily. He is also second in the betting odds.

I fear I really do......

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 17 Dec 2009 17:51

McDermott would not be the worst option.

We don't have time, especially in this busy period, for a completely new guy to come in and get familiarised with the team.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 17 Dec 2009 17:52

Bring back Pards.

He had the job till JM feel for Todger's act.

Just like his last time at the club except he wouldn't have to totally re build the club. Works well with BM and NH. What more do we want?

Can some explain what Ferguson has done to show he can work on a budget? He spent a fortune at Posh and even then they were Barry Fry's buys. We need a been there done that manager. Where has he been and what has he done to show he can work in the situation we are in. Back to back promotions are nothing to be sneered at, but he had players and a budget above the level of the rivals, thats the exact oposite of where we are. Ferguson will be a decent manager, like Rodger's. But at the moment we aint the club for a manager to learn.

Alan PArdew's barmy army....

Triffic

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 17 Dec 2009 17:55

(.)Boobies(.)
Ideal Boobies, that is pathetic, even for you.
What Madejski wants is a manager who doesnt spend two million pounds on someone who doesnt play.

£1.1m, and that really isn't a lot for a young sort after central defender.___ As for the Chairman, he clearly wants someone who will go about his business quietly (Coppell), and not grunt and moan for money to spend. Rodgers didn't get much support at all. The next manager, whoever that may be, will know from the off that the ship is tight and he must work with what he has, with little money where possible.

I have no idea whether that's true or not - and nor, I suspect does anyone else outside the Club. :roll:

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 17 Dec 2009 17:57

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Bring back Pards.

Just like his last time at the club except he wouldn't have to totally re build the club. Works well with BM and NH. What more do we want?

Can some explain what Ferguson has done to show he can work on a budget? He spent a fortune at Posh and even then they were Barry Fry's buys. We need a been there done that manager. Where has he been and what has he done to show he can work in the situation we are in. Back to back promotions are nothing to be sneered at, but he had players and a budget above the level of the rivals, thats the exact oposite of where we are. Ferguson will be a decent manager, like Rodger's. But at the moment we aint the club for a manager to learn.

Triffic

Pards may or may not be agood choice, but which part of the job would mean he wouldn't have to rebuild the Club. Maybe not the stadium, but the rest is a mess or have I got STG's.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 17 Dec 2009 17:58

The way I see it is one of these 2 scenarios:

1) BR did have a blazing row with the club & left unexpectedly which could point to Brian getting the job FT as we weren't in the hunt for anyone

2) The writing was on the wall for BR, and the club sacked him with someone else in mind & they've moved quickly to ensure their target doesn't get snapped up elsewhere.

Which one is it?!!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 17 Dec 2009 17:58

Ideal
winchester_royal McDermott would not be the worst option.

We don't have time, especially in this busy period, for a completely new guy to come in and get familiarised with the team.

Yet, according to you, it seems we have time for a completely inexperienced man to learn his trade?

He's more experienced in football than Ferguson.

(.)Boobies(.)

by (.)Boobies(.) » 17 Dec 2009 17:58

Posh Spending I've posted the spending at Posh before. He didn't spend that much at all. Look it up on their official website and you will see a great deal of their squad comes from L2 and non-league. They're record signing is six figures

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 17 Dec 2009 17:59

MmmMonsterMunch The way I see it is one of these 2 scenarios:

1) BR did have a blazing row with the club & left unexpectedly which could point to Brian getting the job FT as we weren't in the hunt for anyone

2) The writing was on the wall for BR, and the club sacked him with someone else in mind & they've moved quickly to ensure their target doesn't get snapped up elsewhere.

Which one is it?!!

The first one, no doubt about it.

JM would not have had the cojones to sack BR at this time. No way.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 17 Dec 2009 17:59

(.)Boobies(.) Hg

Mercury ??? :?
Freddie or the winged legend ???
Last edited by Franchise FC on 17 Dec 2009 18:00, edited 1 time in total.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 17 Dec 2009 18:00

winchester_royal
Ideal

Yet, according to you, it seems we have time for a completely inexperienced man to learn his trade?

I have experience in football

I do not have experience of being a manager of a league football team

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 17 Dec 2009 18:01

Arnie_Pie
MmmMonsterMunch The way I see it is one of these 2 scenarios:

Which one is it?!!

The first one, no doubt about it.

JM would not have had the cojones to sack BR at this time. No way.

I'm inclined to agree at this point. The club is being bloody quiet.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 17 Dec 2009 18:02

winchester_royal
Ideal

How's that then, considering we are talking about the Reading 1st team job. There is a huge difference, as displayed by Rodgers.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 17 Dec 2009 18:02

(.)Boobies(.) Posh Spending I've posted the spending at Posh before. He didn't spend that much at all. Look it up on their official website and you will see a great deal of their squad comes from L2 and non-league. They're record signing is six figures

But compared to other clubs at that level.

Plus I'd bet my house Barry's got some dodgey tax avoidance scheme going on.

:wink:

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 17 Dec 2009 18:04

Franchise FC
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Bring back Pards.

Triffic

Pards may or may not be agood choice, but which part of the job would mean he wouldn't have to rebuild the Club. Maybe not the stadium, but the rest is a mess or have I got STG's.

We had the worst academy going, no scouting set up, no training ground, Nigel Howe running things and players that make this lot look half decent

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 17 Dec 2009 18:05

Theere's a reason why coaches are coaches & managers are managers. Giving it to Brian would be a grave error IMO but if he does get it then we have to get 100% behind him.

680 posts