680 posts

who do you want as our next manager?

George Burley, a jock who likes his booze
2%
Darren Ferguson, another jock
27%
Steve Coppell, never go back?
13%
Lawrie Sanchez, no personality/long ball?
2%
Steve Cotterill, another Brenda = talks a good game but little else?
1%
Gareth Southgate, ummm track record?
6%
Alan Curbishley, out of his comfort zone?
29%
Sean O Driscoll, unproven at a big club?
4%
Paul Hart, better as a youth coach?
0%
Glen Hoddle, has the halo lost its glow?
3%
Paul Tisdale, the thinking man's crumpet?
6%
Phil Parkinson, mean, angry but has he the nous?
6%

Total votes: 326
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Next Manager

by Victor Meldrew » 18 Dec 2009 17:31

Hoop Blah I can't believe someone said that McDermott was a top player at Arsenal, he hardly played did he?

As for doing a good job with the Reserves meaning anything, that's laughable. All the Reserves is about is getting players out on the pitch and helping individuals progress, develop and get fit. It's not a competitive challenge where teams are really that bothered about winning.

It might show that he's good at coaching and helping players out, it doesn't mean he is any good at building a squad, keeping all the players happy, setting a team up tactically for a competitive league game or all the other things that go with being a proper manager.

I'm not saying he won't be good at it, but winning a few Reserve games is nothing like running a football club.

Let's hope we are proven wrong but I agree with you.
McDermott has spent years watching other teams rather than our own as his job was to scout ahead of our next fixture.
I'm not sure how all that experience plus a brief time as Reserves manager makes him a serious candidate for the job.
As things stand I do think we need an experienced man (and I would include the likes of Ferguson jnr and O'Driscoll in that category)especially with a difficult run of games coming up that could easily see us entrenched in the bottom 3.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Fans decide: poll for next manager

by Dirk Gently » 18 Dec 2009 17:33

Crowthorne Royal Ferguson / Curbishley - I would almost put my mortgage on either of these gentlemen getting the gig.

I would be utterly delighted to take that bet from you.
Last edited by Dirk Gently on 18 Dec 2009 18:20, edited 1 time in total.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 18 Dec 2009 18:19

Ian Herring No one has mentioned the one serious candidate who should be phoned immediately.

Ian Branfoot.

he may have had a hair cut shaped like a helmet...

The Return of Infoot.

Martin Hicks as assistant postman ( I mean manager)

Postman? Of course! Neil Webb is just the guy for the job.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Dec 2009 18:23

It does seem odd that Curbishley hasn't taken / been offered a job in the last 15 months.

Is that because of the wrongful dismissal case which he recently won against West Ham?

I would have thought he would see himself as a PL manager still and might just wait in the wings for a better paid job than Reading would be.

It may seem a tad illogical but it feels to me that few managers who take an extended break after a long and successful career come back to the game and have much success again.

I'd be perfectly happy with Curbishley but on balance would prefer Southgate or Ferguson. (I'd also be happy with McDermott.)

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 18 Dec 2009 18:46

Dirk Gently
Crowthorne Royal Ferguson / Curbishley - I would almost put my mortgage on either of these gentlemen getting the gig.

Not having a dig, but how can you be so sure?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 18 Dec 2009 18:49

winchester_royal
Dirk Gently

Not having a dig, but how can you be so sure?

If I told you that it'd devalue the bet ..... :wink:

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 18 Dec 2009 18:51

Dirk Gently If I told you that it'd devalue the bet ..... :wink:

Just promise me that Sanchez ain't getting it..... :wink:

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 18 Dec 2009 19:09

It's not going to be Curbishley, no matter how hard people wish for it. When we were competing for promotion, maybe. But no way now. He's been well paid by WHU and can afford to wait for something better.

Cookie

by Cookie » 18 Dec 2009 19:28

Can I correct your jingoistic poll?

Sean O Driscoll, unproven paddy?

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 18 Dec 2009 19:33

Arch It's not going to be Curbishley, no matter how hard people wish for it. When we were competing for promotion, maybe. But no way now. He's been well paid by WHU and can afford to wait for something better.

Unfortuately I agree. I would be very happy with darren ferguson instead. I can't understand why people have been braindwashed into thinking hes a failure because he got sacked at peterobrough. He took a team up twice with the same players and spent sod all. What do you expect from a group of league two players in the championship? Bad decision by the p'boro board and I fully expect him to stand up and do well in his next job, I'd like that to be with us. He was our first choice before rodgers but p'boro wanted a load more compensation, we eventually got rodgers instead, the club will hopefully be back in for him.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 18 Dec 2009 19:43

Maybe pie in the sky but Curbs please. I'd take experience anytime over another youthful pup. Curbs looks like the kind of man who could take this club where we need it to be. (With or without resources made available).

He has a reputation for making the right signings and bringing youth players on. Two promotions and two years of keeping Chrlton in ther Prem. Oh and a little matter of keeping WHU in the prem when the real pressure was on.

The only downside is he's a man who knows what he wants and needs and SJM might not like that too much.

ROKERITE

by ROKERITE » 18 Dec 2009 19:50

FiNeRaIn
Arch It's not going to be Curbishley, no matter how hard people wish for it. When we were competing for promotion, maybe. But no way now. He's been well paid by WHU and can afford to wait for something better.

Unfortuately I agree. I would be very happy with darren ferguson instead. I can't understand why people have been braindwashed into thinking hes a failure because he got sacked at peterobrough. He took a team up twice with the same players and spent sod all. What do you expect from a group of league two players in the championship? Bad decision by the p'boro board and I fully expect him to stand up and do well in his next job, I'd like that to be with us. He was our first choice before rodgers but p'boro wanted a load more compensation, we eventually got rodgers instead, the club will hopefully be back in for him.

It has been said many times by many people; Ferguson wasn't sacked because Peterborough were in the bottom three of The Championship: he was sacked because the Posh Chairman had had enough of Ferguson talking to other clubs. It is therefore incorrect and unfair to describe the action of sacking Ferguson as a bad decision. Ferguson did a very, very good job at London Road and there's every reason to expect him to do well at his next club. He was a dirty player and appears to be an obnoxious individual, but a lot of good managers are.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 18 Dec 2009 20:41

Ideal
Dirk Gently If I told you that it'd devalue the bet ..... :wink:

Right. So we're just supposed to believe that somehow you are massively "in the know", based on your say-so?

I'm not asking you to believe anything, except the fact that I would welcome an opportunity to take on this bet against Ferguson or Curbs.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Dec 2009 20:42

ROKERITE
FiNeRaIn

It has been said many times by many people; Ferguson wasn't sacked because Peterborough were in the bottom three of The Championship: he was sacked because the Posh Chairman had had enough of Ferguson talking to other clubs. It is therefore incorrect and unfair to describe the action of sacking Ferguson as a bad decision. Ferguson did a very, very good job at London Road and there's every reason to expect him to do well at his next club. He was a dirty player and appears to be an obnoxious individual, but a lot of good managers are.

Interesting reading. I hope you're right and Ferguson is good enough and we go for him if we can't get Curbs that is. Or Tisdale?

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 19 Dec 2009 00:12

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Re ... 61885.html

Reading caretaker boss Brian McDermott wants job on permanent basis

Brian McDermott wants the Reading manager’s job on a permanent basis.

The former Arsenal striker has been appointed as caretaker boss following the sacking of Brendan Rodgers.

And the 48-year-old could be given until the end of the season to save the cash-strapped Royals from dropping into League 1.

Former Peterborough boss Darren Ferguson and ex-Boro manager Gareth Southgate are in the frame for the job, while Steve Coppell has also been linked with a return.

However, Coppell may be reluctant to take the job unless he was promised funds that were denied to Rodgers.

McDermott, the club’s chief scout, said: “I have carved out a job at this football club. For me it is the right thing at the right time and of course I’d love to do the job permanently.

“But there’s no time frame. I can’t predict anything, that’s pointless. I will do my stuff and see where it takes us."

Chairman Sir John Madejski wielded the axe on Rodgers after just six months at the helm after the club won just five league games.

Reading travel to Bristol City knowing defeat could drop them into the relegation zone.

And McDermott, who has managed non league Slough Town and Woking Town, admitted: “Results going back to January haven’t been great. We’ve not won games at home.

“Of course I have sympathy for Brendan. I’ve known him a long time. I thought he’d be here a long time but it’s not worked out that way and nobody likes to see that. Now it’s my job to try and find that winning formula.

“Today’s game comes on the back of a tough emotional week for everyone. But this team is good enough to stay up, of course it is.”

It'll be interesting to see how he does over the Christmas period.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 19 Dec 2009 13:56

Cirbs has pulled ahead by some way.

West_Reading

by West_Reading » 19 Dec 2009 17:48

Mark Hughes after he's sacked by City tonight.

Bath Hoops

by Bath Hoops » 19 Dec 2009 18:51

West_Reading Mark Hughes after he's sacked by City tonight.
+1 would be a good choice but highly unlikely.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 19 Dec 2009 19:13

Brian McDermott, if he keeps us playing like that. :shock:

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 19 Dec 2009 19:31

All we are saying is give McDermott a chance