680 posts

who do you want as our next manager?

George Burley, a jock who likes his booze
2%
Darren Ferguson, another jock
27%
Steve Coppell, never go back?
13%
Lawrie Sanchez, no personality/long ball?
2%
Steve Cotterill, another Brenda = talks a good game but little else?
1%
Gareth Southgate, ummm track record?
6%
Alan Curbishley, out of his comfort zone?
29%
Sean O Driscoll, unproven at a big club?
4%
Paul Hart, better as a youth coach?
0%
Glen Hoddle, has the halo lost its glow?
3%
Paul Tisdale, the thinking man's crumpet?
6%
Phil Parkinson, mean, angry but has he the nous?
6%

Total votes: 326
Tilehurst End

Re: The Fans decide: poll for next manager

by Tilehurst End » 02 Jan 2010 09:05

Sound familiar?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletcher ... tml#180103#more

Also begs the question why would he come here.

Out of the frying pan............

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 02 Jan 2010 13:52

Jonny Fordham has sId on Twitter that all the whispers inside the club state BM will be getting the job.
I'm sorry but this is suicidal if he does and I gaurentee this club will go down to League 1.
Preston actin quickly and chairman bein vocal about new appoinment, where as our c*nt of a chairman is saying nothing and is single handidly ruining this club. What an utter utter w@nker he is.

Royal_Delight
Location: In Madejski's Mansion counting the fans' season ticket money

by Royal_Delight » 04 Jan 2010 11:45

Heard a rumour on this site stating that a manager (Southgate?) would be annouced after the Liverpool game to take over McDermott. Is that still true or just some crap? :?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 04 Jan 2010 11:59

West Stand Flash Jonny Fordham has sId on Twitter that all the whispers inside the club state BM will be getting the job.
I'm sorry but this is suicidal if he does and I gaurentee this club will go down to League 1.
Preston actin quickly and chairman bein vocal about new appoinment, where as our c*nt of a chairman is saying nothing and is single handidly ruining this club. What an utter utter w@nker he is.

Agree 100%

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 04 Jan 2010 14:07

SouthDownsRoyal
West Stand Flash Jonny Fordham has sId on Twitter that all the whispers inside the club state BM will be getting the job.

Agree 100%

Agreeing with your other usernames is not cool.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 04 Jan 2010 17:02

SouthDownsRoyal

Agree 100%

Disagree - one more good performance against Newcastle and I would give it to McD until the end of the season.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Jan 2010 17:13

I don't think we should appointing him on the back of a couple of half decent performances.

We should be appointing him IF they think he has the ability to understand where and how to strengthen the team, and how to get them organised into a competitive unit capable of winning games whilst also building the squad towards something half decent for next season.

A couple of good performances might give an indication of those abilities, but they shouldn't be the be all and end all as we've all seen how teams can have a short lived blip in form (for positive or negative effect). Performing a few high profile games where there is less pressure and less expectation doesn't mean we've found the right blend for the fight over the next 3 or 4 months.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 04 Jan 2010 17:45

I've no idea if BM would be a good or bad appointment, but I'm backing him because the best of all possible worlds would be for him to be appointed and succeed - better than bringing someone outside and succeeding.

shaka's shorts

by shaka's shorts » 04 Jan 2010 18:40

I think his selections and substitutions have been sensible and logical - stick with him for a while I think. Give him the jan transfer window, we don't need more disruption to the squad, just some loans which he is best placed to arrange. We will need a reserve manager and scout at least - SSC as football consultant until he gets a job and Murts for reserve manager?

ROKERITE

by ROKERITE » 04 Jan 2010 19:22

Disagree - one more good performance against Newcastle and I would give it to McD until the end of the season.[/quote]

I couldn't disagree more strongly. There may be an argument for giving McDermott a little longer to show what he can do, though I would bring in Dowie tomorrow. However, the worst decision would be to give McDermott the assurance now that the job is his till the end of the season. While he is a temporary caretaker manager the players must perform at their best if he's to continue in that post. Announce him as Manager until the end of the season and, while he may turn things around, I believe there'd be a distinct possibility Reading could go down.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 04 Jan 2010 19:28

ROKERITE Disagree - one more good performance against Newcastle and I would give it to McD until the end of the season.

I couldn't disagree more strongly. There may be an argument for giving McDermott a little longer to show what he can do, though I would bring in Dowie tomorrow. However, the worst decision would be to give McDermott the assurance now that the job is his till the end of the season. While he is a temporary caretaker manager the players must perform at their best if he's to continue in that post. Announce him as Manager until the end of the season and, while he may turn things around, I believe there'd be a distinct possibility Reading could go down.[/quote]

Even if we appoint Dowie there is a distinct possibility that we could go down. In my opinion Dowie would be a worse option than McD. In fact I am struggling to think of many worse options.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 04 Jan 2010 19:29

ROKERITE Announce him as Manager until the end of the season and, while he may turn things around, I believe there'd be a distinct possibility Reading could go down.
Isn't this true for anyone?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 04 Jan 2010 19:29

andrew1957
ROKERITE Disagree - one more good performance against Newcastle and I would give it to McD until the end of the season.

I couldn't disagree more strongly. There may be an argument for giving McDermott a little longer to show what he can do, though I would bring in Dowie tomorrow. However, the worst decision would be to give McDermott the assurance now that the job is his till the end of the season. While he is a temporary caretaker manager the players must perform at their best if he's to continue in that post. Announce him as Manager until the end of the season and, while he may turn things around, I believe there'd be a distinct possibility Reading could go down.

Even if we appoint Dowie there is a distinct possibility that we could go down. In my opinion Dowie would be a worse option than McD. In fact I am struggling to think of many worse options.[/quote]

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 06 Jan 2010 23:01

Here are my top 5 managers outside the Premiership - of the 5 I guess the only two we'd have any chance of getting would be O'Driscoll or Tisdale!
http://royaleeblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/best-manager-outside-premiership.html

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 06 Jan 2010 23:08

Royalee Here are my top 5 managers outside the Premiership - of the 5 I guess the only two we'd have any chance of getting would be O'Driscoll or Tisdale!
http://royaleeblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/best-manager-outside-premiership.html

Interesting picks, Royalee. I'd have to take issue with your assertion that O'Driscoll is some sort of genius on a limited budget though; his Doncaster side had a comparatively large budget in League One, and all he really succeeded in doing at Bournemouth was taking the club back into League One via the play-offs.....a division he himself took them down from the previous season. That said, his sides play some very decent football and he is making an excellent fist of keeping a small club in the Championship for a third season which in itself is no mean feat.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 06 Jan 2010 23:19

Yeah, I thought over that selection for a while, but then came to the conclusion that O'Driscoll had to sell the likes of Carl Fletcher (I'm sure there were others) to keep the club afloat financially - sort of similar to how we are now really as we finished high up the table last season, but have sold off our best players and find ourselves struggling. The comparisons with Rodgers don't end there either - O'Driscoll was criticised for trialling different systems at Doncaster early on and prefers a passing style of football! It'll certainly be interesting to see how things turn out.

rfc_1871

by rfc_1871 » 10 Jan 2010 16:38

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you...............Paul Tisdale.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 11 Jan 2010 23:13

rfc_1871 Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you...............Paul Tisdale.

Love it

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 13 Jan 2010 11:53

I am surprised O'Driscoll has never been Strongly linked with us

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 13 Jan 2010 12:38

rfc_1871 Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you...............Paul Tisdale.

That's not Paul Tisdale, that's Droopy the Dog! :wink:

680 posts