JOIN THE PROTEST - SACK THE BOARD

514 posts
Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

Re: JOIN THE PROTEST - SACK THE BOARD

by Royalee » 04 Jan 2010 21:44

Ian Royal Was taking us into a relegation fight a good job?We were clear of the relegation zone when Rodgers was sacked

Was it an ok performance?Depends what would have happened in the second half of the season - was the second half of last season a good performance given we had similar form with £12 million more of players?

The answer to both of those is No. Is it really? Therefore he was most definitely doing a bad job. More opinion

Fewer than 10 games is too soon to make a judgement on a manager. Half a season is time enough to know someone is not performing well enough.Good job you weren't chairman of Man Utd all those years ago then Ian? It doesn't matter how good he might have been. He wasn't doing a good enough job to retain his job. In your opinion It's really very simple. No it isn't

And now, after backing Madejski and blaming everything on Coppell, Royalee is left with no option but to acknowledge he was wrong and Rodgers was a failureIf we'd been in a relegation fight in March, quite right, not before the transfer window after only 4 months of football with a totally new club and new team, or to switch and begin blaming Madejski and co.How have I switched? I still blame Coppell for relegation and the poor squad he left us with, I blame Madejski for not backing the new manager so that he was given a chance to sort things out - I think you'll find that's very much in keeping with the same opinion

And we can all see clearly which he has chosen.Yes, to stick to my guns rather than to change what I've said like you do every time you get something wrong

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 04 Jan 2010 21:46

I share some of Royalees views on Coppells last couple of seasons and Rodgers sacking but at the same time as being disappointed in SJM for sacking him I dont blame him massively for the situation we find ourselves in

I dont blame him for the way Coppell spent or didnt spend his transfer budget, and I dont blame him for some of the mistakes that Rodgers made

I do think Rodgers was making headway and the side was looking infinately better than it did in August, and a damn sight better than it was in March and April last season for that matter

ROKERITE

by ROKERITE » 04 Jan 2010 21:48

Ian Royal Was taking us into a relegation fight a good job?

Was it an ok performance?

The answer to both of those is No. Therefore he was most definitely doing a bad job.

Fewer than 10 games is too soon to make a judgement on a manager. Half a season is time enough to know someone is not performing well enough. It doesn't matter how good he might have been. He wasn't doing a good enough job to retain his job. It's really very simple.

And now, after backing Madejski and blaming everything on Coppell, Royalee is left with no option but to acknowledge he was wrong and Rodgers was a failure, or to switch and begin blaming Madejski and co.

And we can all see clearly which he has chosen.

Ofcourse half a season isn't long enough to judge a manager on. I'd argue one whole season isn't really enough. Royalee is perfectly entitled to claim that he hasn't been proved either right or wrong. I share also his disgust with Madejski. Rodgers was Madejski's choice; he head-hunted him. Yet, he showed absolutely no loyalty or support, even though he must have been fully aware of the difficulties Rodgers was operating under. I lost virtually all respect for Madejski when he sacked Rodgers. I'll lose the remaining dregs of regard for him if he gives McDermott the job till the end of the season, in the next few weeks.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 04 Jan 2010 21:48

The answer has to be somewhere between the two of you.
Claiming half a season is long enough to judge a manager smacks of someone adopting a stance and simply inventing things to back that stance. Half a season may give a flavour but plenty of managers take longer than that to go from what looks like failures to successes.

There is no way anyone can claim Rodgers did a good job, although this is a bit offset by none of us being too sure what job he was expected to do. Was his priority to bring in youngsters, reshape the squad etc whilst finishing out of the bottom 3 ? If so then he's done a big part of that quite well and can;t be judged on the other bit. If his task was to aim for a playoff spot then he did poorly.

I suspect in a year's time we may judge him differently. We'll recognise that he was brave enough to bring in a lot of youngsters and some will have gone on to become genuine stars. As long as we stay up (which I am confident we will) he will probably be seen as someone who did the hard graft and then someone else came in a reaped the benefits.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Jan 2010 21:51

Royalee
Ian Royal Was taking us into a relegation fight a good job?We were clear of the relegation zone when Rodgers was sacked
Did I say relegation zone? No, I said relegation fight.
Was it an ok performance?Depends what would have happened in the second half of the season - was the second half of last season a good performance given we had similar form with £12 million more of players? No, was the first half of the season, which actually happened, an ok performance? Don't evade the question.

The answer to both of those is No. Is it really? Therefore he was most definitely doing a bad job. More opinion Not really.

Fewer than 10 games is too soon to make a judgement on a manager. Half a season is time enough to know someone is not performing well enough.Good job you weren't chairman of Man Utd all those years ago then Ian?Were Man United in danger of an unnecessary relegation mid-way through a season? It doesn't matter how good he might have been. He wasn't doing a good enough job to retain his job. In your opinion It's really very simple. No it isn't Now after backing Madejski and blaming everything on Coppell, Royalee is left with no option but to acknowledge he was wrong and Rodgers was a failureIf we'd been in a relegation fight in March, quite right, not before the transfer window after only 4 months of football with a totally new club and new team, or to switch and begin blaming Madejski and co.How have I switched? I still blame Coppell for relegation and the poor squad he left us with, I blame Madejski for not backing the new manager so that he was given a chance to sort things out - I think you'll find that's very much in keeping with the same opinion

And we can all see clearly which he has chosen.Yes, to stick to my guns rather than to change what I've said like you do every time you get something wrong

Hang on, I thought I never admitted when I got something wrong. LOLaughable attempt. Not worth bothering with any more time on this to help you make yourself look more of an idiot.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 04 Jan 2010 21:52

Sun Tzu The answer has to be somewhere between the two of you.
Claiming half a season is long enough to judge a manager smacks of someone adopting a stance and simply inventing things to back that stance. Half a season may give a flavour but plenty of managers take longer than that to go from what looks like failures to successes.

There is no way anyone can claim Rodgers did a good job, although this is a bit offset by none of us being too sure what job he was expected to do. Was his priority to bring in youngsters, reshape the squad etc whilst finishing out of the bottom 3 ? If so then he's done a big part of that quite well and can;t be judged on the other bit. If his task was to aim for a playoff spot then he did poorly.

I suspect in a year's time we may judge him differently. We'll recognise that he was brave enough to bring in a lot of youngsters and some will have gone on to become genuine stars. As long as we stay up (which I am confident we will) he will probably be seen as someone who did the hard graft and then someone else came in a reaped the benefits.

Not often I agree with you, but thats a very fair assessment

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Jan 2010 21:55

Perhaps I wasn't clear. Half a season is not enough time to judge a manager in all circumstances. IT IS enough time to recognise that one is not doing well enough and is failing in the circumstances we had. In the same way that had 05/06 been Coppell's first season it would have been plenty long enough to recognise he was doing an excellent job.

I'd also suggest that the only youngsters that Rodgers can really lay claim to bringing through for us are Siggurdsson, and just maybe Davies.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Jan 2010 21:56

FAO Ian Royal

1. There's a difference between being clear of relegation and winning some games, showing little improvement, but still not showing enough consistency and being in a relegation 'fight' like Plymouth have been trying to get out of the bottom three.

2. I'm not evading the question, I'm giving it some context given our results in the second half of last season were very similar, but with £12 million of players and what many on here have argued to have been poorer performances.

3. Manchester United were not meeting their expectations just as we seemingly were not - failing to bring home silverware from Manchester United is the equivalent to us being near the bottom of the league. Different clubs have different objectives, that's how football works.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 Jan 2010 21:58

Royalee
How can it be shown that he was doing a poor job? Do you have another instance where similar restraints and starting points were present for a Reading manager? The answer is of course no.

Football is a results business.He didn't get the results which is why he was sacked hence, he did a poor job. As one of the Premier League bosses said at the weekend no manager with two notable exceptions is more the six weeks away from the sack.

There are plenty of managers in this league and leagues 1 & 2 who would love to have the sort of money that Rodgers had available to him in the summer.Most managers have financial constraints but they get on with the job in hand without moaning.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Jan 2010 21:59

Ian Royal

Perhaps I wasn't clear. Half a season is not enough time to judge a manager in all circumstances. IT IS enough time to recognise that one is not doing well enough and is failing in the circumstances we had. In the same way that had 05/06 been Coppell's first season it would have been plenty long enough to recognise he was doing an excellent job.

I'd also suggest that the only youngsters that Rodgers can really lay claim to bringing through for us are Siggurdsson, and just maybe Davies.

By your rationale with Rodgers, Coppell should have been sacked in 03/04 and 04/05 without second thought.

Rodgers brought on all the younger players who respected him and he got them to think about their game - listen to their interviews. Also, have a look at who was involved in bringing some of the youngsters to the club originally.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Jan 2010 22:01

Ideal
Royalee Alex Ferguson....Man Utd

Let us review the similarities between Brendan Rodgers@Reading and Alex Ferguson@Man United, since this is what you are using for an argument.

Previous Experience:
Rodgers: "none", bar a few months at Watford, won fcuk all, nothing, zero, nothing achieved

Ferguson: 1974 East Stirlingshire, 1974-78 St. Mirren, 1978-1986 Aberdeen, 1985-86 Scotland, won Scottish league AND EUROPEAN CUP WINNERS CUP with Aberdeen.

So, already there are striking differences, Ferguson had 12 years experience as manager, even on INTERNATIONAL level, and had won MAJOR trophies before taking charge at United.

Start at club:

Rodgers: instant misery, bottom three, looking hopeless, bought Mills, didn't play him
Ferguson: mid-table security, finished 11th, no risk of relegation, bought Gordon Strachan, played him

We weren't in the bottom 3 when Rodgers departed Ideal.

Both clubs were falling below their expectations, which will have been set at different levels, but you fail to comprehend that behind your blustering boisterous bullshit.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Jan 2010 22:02

Royalee FAO Ian Royal

1. There's a difference between being clear of relegation and winning some games, showing little improvement, but still not showing enough consistency and being in a relegation 'fight' like Plymouth have been trying to get out of the bottom three.

2. I'm not evading the question, I'm giving it some context given our results in the second half of last season were very similar, but with £12 million of players and what many on here have argued to have been poorer performances.

3. Manchester United were not meeting their expectations just as we seemingly were not - failing to bring home silverware from Manchester United is the equivalent to us being near the bottom of the league. Different clubs have different objectives, that's how football works.

Very similar? We got a third as many points in just two games more.

There is a significant difference between us and United. United were faced with no silverware, fine, but would still be in th eposition to fight for it next season with similar resources available to them. Relegation would be an absolute disaster for us and set us back 10 years. One or even two seasons without silverware would not do that for United (maybe now it might) so it really is incomparable.

//That is not my rationale at all. Under Coppell we were never in danger of taking a massive step backward, merely staying roughly where we were. And YES I include relegation from the Premier League as we were by no stretch of the imagination established and it was likely to happen at some point before we'd completed 5 seasons..

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Jan 2010 22:04

Our form under Coppell's last 4 months was a step backwards on 02/03 Ian.

I'll say it again one last time...WE WEREN'T IN THE RELEGATION ZONE WHEN RODGERS LEFT.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Jan 2010 22:08

They finished that season 11th...so he had over 2 months more than Rodgers in his first season there (NOVEMBER, DECEMBER, JANUARY, FEBRUARY, MARCH, APRIL, MAY, THAT'S 7 MONTHS, RODGERS HAD 4 FULL MONTHS) and finished well below expectations, yet they didn't sack him Ideal, but you still don't get it do you?

I'll tell you what, I'll give you the night to sleep on it - maybe you'll fall out of bed, bang your head and it'll all make sense to you.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 04 Jan 2010 22:14

You realise that Utd sacked Big Ron after finishing 4th the season before

That was the expectation levels at Utd and even with the poor start under Atkinson taken into account the first few months of Fergies time there saw some terrible results and knocked out of both cups (one was Big Rons doing to be fair)

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 Jan 2010 22:16

Royalee They finished that season 11th...so he had over 2 months more than Rodgers in his first season there (NOVEMBER, DECEMBER, JANUARY, FEBRUARY, MARCH, APRIL, MAY, THAT'S 7 MONTHS, RODGERS HAD 4 FULL MONTHS) and finished well below expectations, yet they didn't sack him Ideal, but you still don't get it do you?

I'll tell you what, I'll give you the night to sleep on it - maybe you'll fall out of bed, bang your head and it'll all make sense to you.

You can't compare the two situations Royalee. Ferguson already had a great reputation that he had built up with Aberdeen. Rodgers was a manager for six months. Your emotions are taking hold off you.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Jan 2010 22:25

sandman
Royalee They finished that season 11th...so he had over 2 months more than Rodgers in his first season there (NOVEMBER, DECEMBER, JANUARY, FEBRUARY, MARCH, APRIL, MAY, THAT'S 7 MONTHS, RODGERS HAD 4 FULL MONTHS) and finished well below expectations, yet they didn't sack him Ideal, but you still don't get it do you?

You can't compare the two situations Royalee. Ferguson already had a great reputation that he had built up with Aberdeen. Rodgers was a manager for six months. Your emotions are taking hold off you.

Ferguson took over one of the biggest clubs in Europe, Rodgers was taking over RFC with greater experience of first team management than Pardew had when he took over. The reputations are irrelevant as they can't influence results alone.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Jan 2010 22:27

Ideal Ok, sooo, Royalee.. you don't think that having 12 years experience and winning the european cup winners cup as well as managing Scotland buys you a few more credits towards not getting sacked, than having zero experience and messing everything up does? You don't see how you can't use this argument?

Totally different levels - how much time did Scolari's World Cup Winners' Medal buy him at Stamford Bridge? The reputations are irrelevant in this case.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 Jan 2010 22:35

I'm sorry but they do. Scolari hadn't managed in European club football. He had a international reputation not one at club level. Which is why he was replaced with Hiddink who did.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 04 Jan 2010 22:43

Ideal I find it totally unbelievable that after failing miserably and getting sacked, Royalee thinks Rodgers is comparable to Alex Ferguson..

I find it unbelievable that you think that he is comparing the two as managers in that way

514 posts