Brendan's moaning again!

169 posts
Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Brendan's moaning again!

by Mr Optimist » 08 Jan 2010 15:39

Because he's the cheap option.

When we haven't won a game by March we will then look for someone else to rescue us but without that pesky expensive transfer window open.

I really hope I am wrong but this is a huge gamble. Please bring back Sir Steve asap!!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 08 Jan 2010 15:44

RoyalBlue
Gav
CMRoyal Had we lined up a better manager, that would be understandable. That we haven't makes the timing of the sacking a bit of a mystery.

We did have a better manager lined up. And he's now in charge.

So why didn't the fools who are in charge of this club appoint McDermott first time around (his abilities can't have changed that dramatically in the short time Rodgers was in charge) and save the £500K paid to Watford (plus whatever they will now have to pay in compensation to all those sacked)? That money could have been spent instead on much needed players (or more likely gone into the cloth cutting fund!).

And how many more times will people on here witter on about the £3.5M given to buy players whilst ever so conveniently (Madejski style) overlooking the value and quality of players sold, as our squad was decimated by the cloth cutting. Yes, lots of other managers would have loved that amount of money to add to their already good, established and stable squads!!

Two former Reading managers (Gooding and Coppell) have now stated that Rodgers was pretty much on a hiding to nothing and I would bet that there are plenty of other very good and experienced managers who would agree with that.

And how many times will people like you witter on about the players sold without realising that every single one sold for a fee wanted to leave. You go on about big bad Madejski cloth cutting but you don't recognise this fact. They wanted to go once this was established we needed to get fees for them which would mean we could pay the bank loans. After that 3.5 million is a good deal of money for a manager with nous to sign good quality players at this level. Rodgers didn't do this (with one exception) which is one of the many contributing factors to why he went.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 08 Jan 2010 15:48

Thomas L'Heureux
Gav The circumstances in the summer were completely different. However, Brian has stepped in and shown in just a few games more ability in his little finger than Rodgers had in his entire tome of convoluted football tactics.

Sorry, but out of all the drivel in this thread, this comment is probably the most deluded of the lot.

And personally, I think Wimb's take on this is spot on to be honest. Fair enough Rodgers could have done a lot of things differently, but I definitely do not agree with him getting the sack when there has been no talk of bringing in a replacement. Sacking him is a backward step in the long-run, and given the position the club are in at the moment, we don't have the luxury of being able to take too many backward steps.

Spot on as usual, Tom.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 08 Jan 2010 15:50

Thing is that he was sacked without the club having a clear plan of how to "right the wrong"

We sack and then we "reflect" !!!

Surely there should have been a plan of action to support the sacking, and if that was to appoint from within, then just get on and do it and dont make out that its not a done deal....its only a matter of time until we hear " Brian was by far and above the best choice for manager"...the running of the club, currently, is comical

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 08 Jan 2010 15:57

Mr Optimist Because he's the cheap option.

When we haven't won a game by March we will then look for someone else to rescue us but without that pesky expensive transfer window open.

I really hope I am wrong but this is a huge gamble. Please bring back Sir Steve asap!!

What would Coppell do then?

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 08 Jan 2010 16:01

Galvinise the vast majority of supporters for starters.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 08 Jan 2010 16:05

Billy Davies is a good example of what CAN happen if you give the manager time ...last season Notts Forest were perilously close to relegation but the club stuck with him...and whilst they appeared to have a big transfer budget, he has taken them into 3rd place this season

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 08 Jan 2010 16:05

:roll: :roll:

RoyalBlue So they went and blew all of that money on what they 'thought', rather than what they knew? Don't forget they are now telling us what a great record and background McDermott has and that can't have changed much in the last few months!

No matter how you try to justify their actions, either he clearly wasn't a very obvious and clear candidate for the job or they cocked up big time.

And, unless they are now confident that McDermott is better than Rodgers or anyone else they could get (assuming they are prepared to spend some money) why are they leaving him in charge at such a critical time for the club?

Back on planet earth, no one gets it right all the time and with our last 2 managers spanning nearly a decade, not only would it be laughable to call SJM a serial sacker, his record in picking the right man has been nothing less than in impressive in recent times.

If, on the odd occasion when you get it wrong, you take swift action to put things right I would see that as impressive, too.

As far as Brian Mc goes, he now find himself in the same position as BR back in the summer.

Perhaps he was close to getting the nod back then, perhaps he will be cr@p but if it works out it won't be that far removed from how Pardew ended up managing this club 4 for years.

The reason I was pleased to see BR get a chance was that I still believe our best chance of future glory lies in producing a team heavily packed young home grown players and where Brendan failed perhaps Brian will succeed.......................he will have even less time to impress but hasn't made a bad start given all the circumstances.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 08 Jan 2010 16:10

Mr Optimist Galvinise the vast majority of supporters for starters.

How? The more knowledgeable supporters realise that bringing him back would be a huge backwards step.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 08 Jan 2010 16:10

Remember though that the first time Pardew was RFC manager (he was Youth team manager at the time) was when he took caretaker charge after Bullivant got the sack and was out of his depth and a disaster. Can you see any parallels with the current situation??

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 08 Jan 2010 16:11

DOYLERSAROYALER Billy Davies is a good example of what CAN happen if you give the manager time ...last season Notts Forest were perilously close to relegation but the club stuck with him...and whilst they appeared to have a big transfer budget, he has taken them into 3rd place this season

Billy Davies took over in January last year with the aim of keeping them up. He did that so the "giving a manager time" thing doesn't work with him.

Since then he has spent upwards of £6m plus having the wages tobring in players like Gunter (last season) and Shorey (this season) and has brought in zero from selling players.

His achievement is not that good.

Sousa has done a much better job at Swansea.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 08 Jan 2010 16:16

Royalee

How? The more knowledgeable supporters realise that bringing him back would be a huge backwards step.

Because when Coppell went back for later spells at Palace it was a complete disaster wasn't it??!!

I did not want Rodgers to go but in the position we are in I would rather have a vastly experienced manager (who knows the club and is respected and can work with our "board") over a promoted chief scout.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 08 Jan 2010 16:16

Royalee

Because when Coppell went back for later spells at Palace it was a complete disaster wasn't it??!!

I did not want Rodgers to go but in the position we are in I would rather have a vastly experienced manager (who knows the club and is respected and can work with our "board") over a promoted chief scout.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 08 Jan 2010 16:18

Mr Optimist
Royalee

Didn't do us any good in the second half of last season, did it? Coppell has been relegated three times and is proven to be weak when it comes to turning around a slide.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 08 Jan 2010 16:22

I'm sorry, but I'm still finding Brendan confused in his thinking. He says 21 games is not enough, yet he didn't give Watford much more loyalty than that. He says he came to Reading because he felt they had more chance of making the premier than Watford, but he also talks of the problem of selling £12 million of players and it being a long project. He is blurring the fact that when he first came he was talking about competing for promotion immediately. Even after some initial bad results he was still saying we were good enough to be among the leaders in the table.

He isn't facing up to the fact that being in a relegation battle does and should affect your style of play; he surely can't have expected to go on with his stylistic experiments when points were increasingly at a premium. He always glosses over the downside: for example, he seems to claim that the team that drew with Liverpool was his, yet he makes no mention of the performance at Plymouth. Did he not notice that McDermott played Karacan against Liverpool instead of Matejovky?

Having said that, yes, Brendan was unlucky to be sacked. But I'm relieved he was, because he would have continued deluded.
Last edited by facaldaqui on 08 Jan 2010 16:25, edited 3 times in total.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 08 Jan 2010 16:23

Wycombe Royal
DOYLERSAROYALER Billy Davies is a good example of what CAN happen if you give the manager time ...last season Notts Forest were perilously close to relegation but the club stuck with him...and whilst they appeared to have a big transfer budget, he has taken them into 3rd place this season

Billy Davies took over in January last year with the aim of keeping them up. He did that so the "giving a manager time" thing doesn't work with him.

Since then he has spent upwards of £6m plus having the wages tobring in players like Gunter (last season) and Shorey (this season) and has brought in zero from selling players.

His achievement is not that good.

Sousa has done a much better job at Swansea.

Forest still finished 19th and struggled over 5 months - by our board's rationale, he'd have been sacked. Regardless of how much he's had to spend, he's still turned around a struggling team very quickly, which usually takes a while no matter what the circumstances - Man City didn't win the league last season and Chelsea took a few years under Abramovich. Sousa's done well, but Martinez laid the foundations for their success and he hasn't had to change much at all.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 08 Jan 2010 16:25

Royalee

What Royalee has done here and for the last year or so is create a subsection of fans of which he is a member where all the knowledgeable supporters are placed. If you don't agree with him you are not knowledgeable about football and should therefore fcuk of you oxford pcunt.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 08 Jan 2010 16:27

I understand what you are saying but we have made such a huge change to our playing staff in the last 6 months that I don't think this would be an issue.

We had a number of players whose hearts were no longer in RFC (excluding Doyle) and Coppell knew the squad was going to need major surgery to get that hunger back. He walked away in the summer because he knew it was a 3 year re-build job and the Prem and 07/08 seasons had taken it out of him and wanted his break from the game.

A re-charged Coppell with the RFC fanbase's expectations for the season re-adjusted to survival could work together, and if BMc is so highly thought of let him spend a couple of seasons working closer with Coppell, before letting him take the reins full time.

pardew was not ready first time around but was the second time the opportunity came around. The same could be true for BMc.

Just my humble opinion.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 08 Jan 2010 16:31

sandman
Royalee

What Royalee has done here and for the last year or so is create a subsection of fans of which he is a member where all the knowledgeable supporters are placed. If you don't agree with him you are not knowledgeable about football and should therefore fcuk of you oxford pcunt.

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95172&start=700

I'dve thought a higher percentage would have wanted Coppell to return given what a good job he'd supposedly do.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 08 Jan 2010 16:36

Given that Darren Ferguson now has a job and Curbishley realistically is unlikely to dirty himself with an unfashionable Championship club with budget constraints...third choice is?

169 posts