169 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Brendan's moaning again!

by sandman » 08 Jan 2010 16:37

Royalee
sandman
Royalee
How? The more knowledgeable supporters realise that bringing him back would be a huge backwards step.

What Royalee has done here and for the last year or so is create a subsection of fans of which he is a member where all the knowledgeable supporters are placed. If you don't agree with him you are not knowledgeable about football and should therefore fcuk of you oxford pcunt.

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95172&start=700

I'dve thought a higher percentage would have wanted Coppell to return given what a good job he'd supposedly do.

You do love your subsections don't you? Hob Nob is a subsection of Reading fans it does not represent the views of the majority. The reaction to Coppell last week would suggest a different view to the one on accumulated from that poll.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 08 Jan 2010 16:40

sandman And how many times will people like you witter on about the players sold without realising that every single one sold for a fee wanted to leave. You go on about big bad Madejski cloth cutting but you don't recognise this fact. They wanted to go once this was established we needed to get fees for them which would mean we could pay the bank loans. After that 3.5 million is a good deal of money for a manager with nous to sign good quality players at this level. Rodgers didn't do this (with one exception) which is one of the many contributing factors to why he went.

Doesnt matter WHY they went, it was always going to happen and probably needed too as well, but the fact remains that 80% of the side from last year had gone and a massive rebuild was in order

Rodgers job was a big one, and a difficult one at that and to say he didnt sign good quality players at this level is ridiculous (Rasiak, McAnuff, Berti, Howard have all done well enough and Mills was sought after and has done ok when given a chance, the only one obviously not up to it was Cummings)

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 08 Jan 2010 16:47

Southbank Old Boy
sandman And how many times will people like you witter on about the players sold without realising that every single one sold for a fee wanted to leave. You go on about big bad Madejski cloth cutting but you don't recognise this fact. They wanted to go once this was established we needed to get fees for them which would mean we could pay the bank loans. After that 3.5 million is a good deal of money for a manager with nous to sign good quality players at this level. Rodgers didn't do this (with one exception) which is one of the many contributing factors to why he went.

Doesnt matter WHY they went, it was always going to happen and probably needed too as well, but the fact remains that 80% of the side from last year had gone and a massive rebuild was in order

Rodgers job was a big one, and a difficult one at that and to say he didnt sign good quality players at this level is ridiculous (Rasiak, McAnuff, Berti, Howard have all done well enough and Mills was sought after and has done ok when given a chance, the only one obviously not up to it was Cummings)

So despite signing good quality players at this level we are in a relegation scrap. Stop kidding yourself.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 08 Jan 2010 16:54

The rest of the side are pretty much novices at this level and the whole team (incuding the manager) needs to be bedded in together, thas why we were struggling, not because those players werent good enough for get us to midtable

If you cant understand that your going to struggle to appreciate the size of the job Rodgers had on his hands. He made some mistakes (as ALL managers do) but he was doing an ok job

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 08 Jan 2010 16:55

sandman
You do love your subsections don't you? Hob Nob is a subsection of Reading fans it does not represent the views of the majority. The reaction to Coppell last week would suggest a different view to the one on accumulated from that poll.

I was sat in the East Stand and although many goons were chanting for him to come back, they were in the minority.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 08 Jan 2010 16:58

Personally I think it was more than a few goons Royalee

I would say that I think the majority were doing as a thanks for all the good times he gave us over the last few years, thats certainly the verdict from the area I sit where most sang then as they sat back down said to each other that he shouldnt come back now though

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 08 Jan 2010 17:01

Southbank Old Boy Personally I think it was more than a few goons Royalee

I would say that I think the majority were doing as a thanks for all the good times he gave us over the last few years, thats certainly the verdict from the area I sit where most sang then as they sat back down said to each other that he shouldnt come back now though

Many sang his name to begin with, but then some followed it up by singing 'we want our Coppell back', which was what I was referring to - far less were doing that than singing his name originally just because he was there.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 08 Jan 2010 17:03

ROKERITE Or to put it another way; Rodgers is making a serious and perfectly valid point.

+1
I don't see anything else in this.
He's being completely honest and speaks sense.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 08 Jan 2010 17:04

Totally ridiculous decision to get rid of him, if someone was to go for the position we were in then it should have been Madejski

Personally I hope he comes back as manager one day....

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 08 Jan 2010 17:07

Thomas L'Heureux
Gav
CMRoyal I meant a better manager than Brian, a man deemed not good enough for serious consideration in the summer.

The circumstances in the summer were completely different. However, Brian has stepped in and shown in just a few games more ability in his little finger than Rodgers had in his entire tome of convoluted football tactics.

Sorry, but out of all the drivel in this thread, this comment is probably the most deluded of the lot.

And personally, I think Wimb's take on this is spot on to be honest. Fair enough Rodgers could have done a lot of things differently, but I definitely do not agree with him getting the sack when there has been no talk of bringing in a replacement. Sacking him is a backward step in the long-run, and given the position the club are in at the moment, we don't have the luxury of being able to take too many backward steps.

Awww, shucks. I've never had a 'most nonsensical comment of the entire thread' award before. Cheers.

To be honest, I said it in a deliberately inflammatory way 'cos I was in one of those moods at the time, but I don't see how Rodgers has proved anything that shows he's a better manager than McDermott. He might well be, but doing reasonably well for half a season at Watford and sending Reading on a crash course into relegation nation demonstrates nothing. While Rodgers was doing some frankly bizarre things with our formation, still working out his team months into the season, rubbing everyone except Royalee up the wrong way with his interviews, and pinning his entire strategy on one player, McDermott has come in with a level-headed, measured approach, with tactics that make sense and no, his results have not improved on Brendan's, but then he didn't have *any* transfer budget nor an entire pre-season to play with either. He also inherited a team in the relegation zone with minimum fuss.

In my book, Rodgers had ideas way above his ability to carry them off and failed to recognise the limitations of the resources at his disposal. A mistake that would not be made by McDermott. The sacking was dead right in my opinion, and I can imagine the club did speak to McDermott in the summer, so had no qualms about giving him and his no-nonsense approach a chance in the hotseat.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 08 Jan 2010 17:09

I think Brendan is deluded. He failed in all measures of his job yet can't acknowledge it.

As a manager you must:
- get results
- know your best team
- have a squad to cover injuries in all positions

and arguably manage the messages to the press and fans.

In my mind he had all pre-season yet didn't have a clue about his best starting 11; formation or style of play. He then continued to tinker, bullshit and spin while failing to deliver results, as well as alienating most fans with his selections; tactics; and hyperbole. I certainly saw no real signs of improvement, and had no confidence he'd of turned it around.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 08 Jan 2010 17:10

Normally I agree managers get the sack too easily however I never personally had faith in Rodgers so happy to see him go.

Boyband

by Boyband » 08 Jan 2010 17:14

Although I didn't agree with everything Brendan said whilst he was in charge, I do agree with him that he wasn't given enough time. I honestly don't think another manager would have done any better with that side he had there. There was an improvement in performances and a marginal improvement in results in November and December which I think would have continued to improve in the New Year. Instead, RFC made a rash decision to sack him in the hope that a new manager would bring a few positive results over Christmas, which didn't really materialise (apart from the Liverpool game). Had RFC wanted to sack him they should have done so after the QPR game.

He didn't get great support from Reading fans but what can you expect from the same supporters that were singing 'We want our Coppell back' and 'Steve Coppell's barmy army' at the Liverpool game and a year previously congregating in his parking space to try and keep him at a time when he should've walked. :roll:

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 08 Jan 2010 17:35

Nice comment at the end of the article

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 08 Jan 2010 17:49

A point to the knowledge-ables...Jose won the league in his first season as Chelsea manager.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 08 Jan 2010 17:51

Boyband Although I didn't agree with everything Brendan said whilst he was in charge, I do agree with him that he wasn't given enough time. I honestly don't think another manager would have done any better with that side he had there. There was an improvement in performances and a marginal improvement in results in November and December which I think would have continued to improve in the New Year. Instead, RFC made a rash decision to sack him in the hope that a new manager would bring a few positive results over Christmas, which didn't really materialise (apart from the Liverpool game). Had RFC wanted to sack him they should have done so after the QPR game.

He didn't get great support from Reading fans but what can you expect from the same supporters that were singing 'We want our Coppell back' and 'Steve Coppell's barmy army' at the Liverpool game and a year previously congregating in his parking space to try and keep him at a time when he should've walked. :roll:

So you criticise what you call a rash decision and then say the club should of got rid earlier.

It's pretty obvious that he didn't get the backing from Reading fans because he gave it the big I am i.e. a second rate Moronho. Reading as a club aren't like that which is why he didn't fit in properly.

Steve Coppell behaved with dignity and restraint as a proper Sportsman should do. Coppell didn't mouth off about other clubs and crow about himself he just got on with the job. This is why he is held in such high regard and why ultimately Rodgers wasn't.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 08 Jan 2010 17:57

Love to know the wages truth, I doubt that rosenior and harper are/were on mega bucks, both took a drop on relegation. i do think it was time for Harper to try his luck elsewhere, and from what i can see he is part of an ok team now.

Unless we have dropped to a low wage club again, although it is always shown that we are not, and never have been.

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 08 Jan 2010 18:02

Royalee
Southbank Old Boy Personally I think it was more than a few goons Royalee

Many sang his name to begin with, but then some followed it up by singing 'we want our Coppell back', which was what I was referring to - far less were doing that than singing his name originally just because he was there.

Did Coppell steal your dummy at an early age or something? Just interested - your resentment seems personal.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 08 Jan 2010 18:24

Brendan Rodgers is an idiot and God help the next club that appoints him

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 08 Jan 2010 18:26

PieEater I think Brendan is deluded. He failed in all measures of his job yet can't acknowledge it.

As a manager you must:
- get results
- know your best team
- have a squad to cover injuries in all positions

and arguably manage the messages to the press and fans.

In my mind he had all pre-season yet didn't have a clue about his best starting 11; formation or style of play. He then continued to tinker, bullshit and spin while failing to deliver results, as well as alienating most fans with his selections; tactics; and hyperbole. I certainly saw no real signs of improvement, and had no confidence he'd of turned it around.

I hate this 'he had pre season argument' its naive and just plain wrong

Brendan came in with several players waiting on moves out of the club, but until they were actually sold he couldn't being in his own players. Rasiak, Howard, Cummings, McAnuff were only really available after 6 or 7 games of the season so how could he test them out in pre season?

The same goes for having players to cover all positions. He had Rosie at RB with Gunnar and Jem able to fill in if needed and when Rosie went he brought in Cummings who had done well for RDM at MK Dons and WBA (both successful teams) He was then shell shocked and played shite when Jerome Thomas ripped him a new one at WBA and it was curtains for the time being. Bear in mind he had Julian Kelly waiting to come back from injury how could he bring in someone else just as 'cover' Similarly up front on paper he had Church, Hunt, Rasiak and Long, 4 INTERNATIONALS plus Bignall and Mooney on professional deals, so once again where is the scope in wages to bring others in? was he to know Long would lose his head at Derby, Church would get injured or the best of the lot NHhunt would be out for the season?

He then tinkered as he went along because he had too, as players came and went and got injured etc. Sometimes he was FORCED into changes and sometimes also chose to change systems as he tried to find a formula that would work long term with the calibre of players at his disposal. As I've said elsewhere, given the fact he was expected to build a side for long term success I don't see to many problems with trying out various systems.

The man then even admitted he had to go back to basics as he realised he didn't quite have the players he wanted. In the final days he was again handicapped by the suspension and injuries to Church, Long and Howard so again changed to a system he thought could win those games.

Does this excuse the stupidity of leaving 2 slow CB's in the team, or playing Gunnar and Cisse in the same midfield? no it doesn't but it does help to explain why we weren't higher in the table.

169 posts