Press conference today-mid afternoon

157 posts
Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Press conference today-mid afternoon

by Dirk Gently » 28 Jan 2010 17:56

howser We lost, probably our most instinctive current striker, Noel Hunt as the season started, and should have replaced him as soon as possible rather than go with a group of strikers who, at the moment couldn't hit a horses ass with a barn door, it isnt like they have just stopped scoring, they havent been all season, there can be no argument with that.

See how easy it is to change the facts to support the argument you're trying to make. Noel Hunt was injured against West Brom on October 17th. Hardly "as the season started" and a good 8 weeks after the transfer window was closed!
Last edited by Dirk Gently on 28 Jan 2010 18:01, edited 1 time in total.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 28 Jan 2010 18:01

brendywendy TBF he should have specified.
also need clarification on whether he means in a sprint or over distance

Surely in terms of top speed :|

Which would be the falcon. I saw a TV show once, which was an experience in itself, when Steve Leonard showed how it could catch a free-falling human who'd jumped from a hot air balloon basket.

West_Reading

by West_Reading » 28 Jan 2010 18:11

Royal Rother Very politely put Sun Tzu I thought.

For me, when some cretin calls the bloke who put everything in place to achieve what has been achieved over the last 2 decades a tightarse fcukwit because he won't gamble with his own money to the level said cretin thinks he should it actually makes me chuckle these days.

Whilst fans of clubs all around us are facing administration due to over-spending, plus suffering various humiliations heaped upon them by all manner of foreign owners, the fact that RFC supporters can be so incredibly and unutterably pigshit thick (not to mention ungrateful) is no longer a source of irritation to me, just a source of amusement.

Exactly. I don't think that anyone can argue against the fact that this has been an awful season so far, but to lay all the blame at Madejski's door is the wrong option and a very ungrateful one too. We lost our Premiership status because we lost EIGHT games on the trot and SSC (For all the immense good he done at the club) wasn't able to fix it and we went down on goal difference. Last season again we threw away our entire season, due to no fault on SJM's part.

This season we paid compensation to get Rodgers in and I don't think anyone was unhappy at the time. The only thing SJM can be blamed for (In my opinion) was to not give Rodgers enough time, but now that Rodgers is gone, McDermott deserves a chance. We've lost to Forest and Sheffield United away but they were never going to be games that make or break our season. The games under McDermott have definetely shown that the team is responding to how he wants them to play, hopefully it's just a matter of time before results pick up.

This season we've signed Mcanuff, Rasiak, Cummings, Mills and Howard, as well as Bertrand, O'Dea, Griffin, Khizanishvilli and Gunnar on loan. How anyone can accuse SJM of being tight is unreasonable in my view.

I would take our current position anyday rather than being in the position the likes of Leeds, Southampton, and now Palace find themselves in, not to mention countless others.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 28 Jan 2010 18:16

howser
For all the effort that Mcdermott and his squad put in there, from the outside, seems little urgency from the men at the top to stop the inevitable happening, if this is so the we will have another sale of the more valuable ones over the summer and find ourselves in a similar situation next season. For god sake if most, and I mean most, of the fans can see that why cant the club management

Indeed. All the club management have done is replaced a manager who by almost any criteria wasn't delivering (and his coaching staff) and then brought in 3 new players, 2 of them internationals, 2 of them with a large amount of top level experience. Are you suggesting this was done with no input from messers Hammond, Howe and Madejski ? Add to that the comment that there could be a further signing and I'm not sure what more you are epxecting. I'd add that we've also not lost any players despite having several that would command decent fees (fingers crossed) which suggest the manager isn;t under pressure to raise cash in the market.

Not sure what will happen over the summer, obvioulsy the likes of Gylfi will attract attention but remember we din;t sell players last season purely to raise money. Players left and we made very good profits but they left having stayed longer in most cases than either the fans actually wanted (Hunt) or really could have expected (Doyle). It would have been fair to have slated SJM if Doyle had gone for £3 million or Hunt on a free but the club got fair prices PLUS longer service than i expected from them. Beat the club up for things they got wrong (Blowing large fees on unsuitable players, failing to replace Sidwell, allowing managers to stick to Plan A for too long...) but recognise when stuff was actually done reasonably well.....

Can I also just question whether speaking from Scotland you can be really so sure you are able to represent the views of most fans ? I go to games and live in Reading but wouldn;t claim to know what MOST fans think. And HNA is not a good place to judge what the wider opnion is I would suggest.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Jan 2010 18:21

FFS you bickering mongs, was anything said at this conference or not!

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 28 Jan 2010 18:24

West_Reading We've lost to Forest and Sheffield United away but they were never going to be games that make or break our season.

Those 2 games in particular though + the Leicester one back in October we had some very good chances, enough of them to take something from the game at the very least and that's where we'll have failed should we get relegated at the end of the season.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 28 Jan 2010 18:26

Ian Royal FFS you bickering mongs, was anything said at this conference or not!

Undoubtably but it won;t have been anything interesting.

Surprised you didn't apply for a ticket !! :lol:

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 28 Jan 2010 18:29

Scarface After making comments about it being a results business when Rodgers was sacked, I'd like Nicky Hammond to be asked what basis there is to appointing McDermott after 6 leagues games that included 4 crushing defeats and 2 draws. We've also fallen behind in all of these 6 games.

Madejski said it was his (McDermott's) job to lose, please John, tell me what more he needs to do to lose the job ?

Although Brian seems a nice guy that cares. You have summed up how i feel.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Jan 2010 18:33

Sun Tzu

What a ridiculous think to say, I don't go to games, why would I go to press conferences. :roll:

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 28 Jan 2010 18:52

Ian Royal
Sun Tzu

What a ridiculous think to say, I don't go to games, why would I go to press conferences. :roll:

Fair point !

I look forward to your in depth analysis of the press conference you didn't attend .... :wink:

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 28 Jan 2010 18:58

This press conference was obviously well attended. Did they put a D-notice on it or something? Or maybe Lord Hutton put a 70-year gagging order on it. Someone post something from it FFS.

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 28 Jan 2010 18:58

For me, when some cretin calls the bloke who put everything in place to achieve what has been achieved over the last 2 decades a tightarse fcukwit because he won't gamble with his own money to the level said cretin thinks he should it actually makes me chuckle these days.

Whilst fans of clubs all around us are facing administration due to over-spending, plus suffering various humiliations heaped upon them by all manner of foreign owners, the fact that RFC supporters can be so incredibly and unutterably pigshit thick (not to mention ungrateful) is no longer a source of irritation to me, just a source of amusement.

+1,000,000

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 28 Jan 2010 19:17

Gav

+1,000,000

+1,000,000 ???? Well Gav must fall into that pigshit thick then, or has been brainwashed by the other thickos on here :D

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 28 Jan 2010 19:27

West_Reading

Exactly. I don't think that anyone can argue against the fact that this has been an awful season so far, but to lay all the blame at Madejski's door is the wrong option and a very ungrateful one too. We lost our Premiership status because we lost EIGHT games on the trot and SSC (For all the immense good he done at the club) wasn't able to fix it and we went down on goal difference. Last season again we threw away our entire season, due to no fault on SJM's part.

OMG 'ungrateful'?? Who the hell do you people think that the, previously little heard of, Madejski really did it for?!! And would any of you care to quantify exactly how much of his money he has put into the club? I suspect it's nowhere near as much as many think and certainly not as much as was initially suggested. Taken as a percentage of his disposable income, I suspect it would appear somewhat less generous too. And perhaps it's a bit easier to give away money that, but for a perfectly legal tax holiday, might otherwise have gone to HMRC.

We are where we are today because Madejski was not prepared to play the game by the normal rules i.e. he wanted to play in a league that would allow him to rub shoulders and play with the big boys without paying the normal membership fees. The lack of proper investment in the playing squad over the past few years started off our problems and the cloth cutting of this season has been absolutely suicidal. Yet still the Madejski dispciples will not answer this simple question: If we were the fantastically well run club that Madejski, his employees and disciples kept telling us we were, how come we so suddenly found ourselves in a position where such savage cuts were required almost overnight?

If such a well run club can't make it to the very top level without crashing down through the leagues in flames just a couple of season's later, how come less well run clubs manage to? It's not even like our season ticket sales and attendances were that poor, although that may well change as we stare relegation in the face due the cloth cutting that Madejski ordered.

Whilst fans of clubs all around us are facing administration due to over-spending, plus suffering various humiliations heaped upon them by all manner of foreign owners

All around us?! Various humiliations heaped upon them?! Nothing like a bit of exaggeration for effect is there!

I long for the day when Madejski leaves and takes his despondent and disillusioned followers with him. It is they, not the supporters who are understandably calling for Madejski's departure, who are the real cretins.

Now be good boys, run along and get back to bowing at your hero's feet. Who knows, one day he might even look down and bother to acknowledge you!

Dirk Gently
howser We lost, probably our most instinctive current striker, Noel Hunt as the season started, and should have replaced him as soon as possible rather than go with a group of strikers who, at the moment couldn't hit a horses ass with a barn door, it isnt like they have just stopped scoring, they havent been all season, there can be no argument with that.

See how easy it is to change the facts to support the argument you're trying to make. Noel Hunt was injured against West Brom on October 17th. Hardly "as the season started" and a good 8 weeks after the transfer window was closed!

But wasn't it actually another 'Little type' case? Weren't there doubts as to whether he had fully recovered from his injury which then became well founded. Indeed didn't Hunt himself mention that he had still been carrying a niggle? Either way, footballers get injured and the loss of Hunt proved that we had cut the cloth far too savagely and lacked proper cover for our striker(s).
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 28 Jan 2010 19:30, edited 1 time in total.

arreff

by arreff » 28 Jan 2010 19:28

All mention of a press conference to be held this afternoon appears to have been removed from the clubs news page. I am positive that I saw it there earlier in the day or was I seeing things?

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 28 Jan 2010 19:38

arreff All mention of a press conference to be held this afternoon appears to have been removed from the clubs news page. I am positive that I saw it there earlier in the day or was I seeing things?

rfc are very good at putting optical illusions out there

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 28 Jan 2010 19:41

Thanks to Sun and RR for bringing some much needed perspective to this board.

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 28 Jan 2010 19:47

arreff All mention of a press conference to be held this afternoon appears to have been removed from the clubs news page. I am positive that I saw it there earlier in the day or was I seeing things?

Maybe the Mexican's were delayed :)

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 28 Jan 2010 20:06

winchester_royal Thanks to Sun and RR for bringing some much needed perspective to this board.

Here is some more perspective for you: we're all going to die eventually anyway, so who cares.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 28 Jan 2010 20:11

RoyalBlue
West_Reading
Whilst fans of clubs all around us are facing administration due to over-spending, plus suffering various humiliations heaped upon them by all manner of foreign owners

All around us?! Various humiliations heaped upon them?! Nothing like a bit of exaggeration for effect is there!

Pompey - who is this month's shady owner ? How many times have they missed paying their players ?
Man Utd - owners issuing a prospectus begging for investment that flags all sorts of desperate possibilities. Their fans abandon their famous club colours in protest
Watford - tottering from one financial crisis to another
Notts County - big promises, big names, see you in court
Crystal Palace - big debts, no assets, 11 place drop in one day
Liverpool - massive debts, owners who don't speak, directors who send offensive emails to fans, manager they can;t sack becasue he's on a 5 year deal along with all his staff
Hull - their auditors issue a warning about their financial viability and their former chiarman is issued with an injunction freezing his assets. Still at least they invested big money !
West Ham - even their new owners describe them as a basket case

I'm sure I've missed a few !

The rest of your post was frankly just rather silly and sad.

157 posts