What game is John Fearn talking about? :-|

17 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

What game is John Fearn talking about? :-|

by Thaumagurist* » 29 Jan 2010 11:01

Have a read on this article: http://www.getbracknell.co.uk/sport/foo ... be_leaving

In it, he says:

John Fearn as was the 5-0 thrashing of West Ham in the cup because that’s who I was with before I came to Reading.

As nice as that sounds, I don't remember us thrashing the shammers in the cup (which cup?) 5-0. Does anyone? If so, can they remind me?

:|

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: What game is John Fearn talking about? :-|

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 29 Jan 2010 11:08

Needs some physio to sort the brain out!!

Comfortably Numb

by Comfortably Numb » 29 Jan 2010 11:22

Thaumagurist* Have a read on this article: http://www.getbracknell.co.uk/sport/foo ... be_leaving

In it, he says:

John Fearn as was the 5-0 thrashing of West Ham in the cup because that’s who I was with before I came to Reading.

As nice as that sounds, I don't remember us thrashing the shammers in the cup (which cup?) 5-0. Does anyone? If so, can they remind me?

:|

cant remember the score, but we knocked west ham out of the cup when we were in the now league 1, and of course 'that' thrashing in the premiership, but that was 6

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 29 Jan 2010 11:26

I recall a pre-season friendly in 2002 or so when we raced into a 5-0 or 5-1 lead to have them come back to 5-4. The cup tie went to pens.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 29 Jan 2010 11:27

Comfortably Numb cant remember the score, but we knocked west ham out of the cup when we were in the now league 1,

Yes, we beat them on penalties and that was on a certain day when certain towers were knocked down in a country far away across the Atlantic. Pardew was the manager then. I think we were in the now Championship as we had been promoted. :| I might be wrong about the division and season. Fairly sure this was the season before Coppell became our manager and we played Chelsea in the league cup.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 29 Jan 2010 11:32

Thaumagurist*
Comfortably Numb cant remember the score, but we knocked west ham out of the cup when we were in the now league 1,

Yes, we beat them on penalties and that was on a certain day when certain towers were knocked down in a country far away across the Atlantic. Pardew was the manager then. I think we were in the now Championship as we had been promoted. :| I might be wrong about the division and season. Fairly sure this was the season before Coppell became our manager and we played Chelsea in the league cup.

The towers came down in 2001. It was a Tuesday and I was at rugby training when I heard the news. We would have been 3rd tier at the time and we went on to win promotion that season. The following pre-season would have been the pre-season friendly I mentioned above.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Jan 2010 11:33

My guess would be he made reference to knocking them out of the cup and the 6-0 beating but good old Fordham got it wrong when he wrote up the article.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 29 Jan 2010 11:35

Non-anorak in not remembering exactly what the score was in a game - shocker.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Jan 2010 11:38

Terminal Boardom
Thaumagurist*

The towers came down in 2001. It was a Tuesday and I was at rugby training when I heard the news. We would have been 3rd tier at the time and we went on to win promotion that season. The following pre-season would have been the pre-season friendly I mentioned above.

Do you (did you) train during the day ?
If not, how the hell did you go all day without news of the towers ?

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 29 Jan 2010 11:42

Hoop Blah My guess would be he made reference to knocking them out of the cup and the 6-0 beating but good old Fordham got it wrong when he wrote up the article.

That sounds very likely.

I remember us getting knocked out by Villa after beating the shammers. I was struggling to remember who we played in the league cup the following season and so checked it out on soccerbase. We got knocked out by Cambridge. Great. :(

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 29 Jan 2010 12:57

The friendly mentioned, we didn't race into a 5-0 lead, we were 2-0 down after about 10 minutes but ended up being 4-2 in front at half time, and won it 5-4 in the end.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 29 Jan 2010 13:36

Franchise FC
Terminal Boardom The towers came down in 2001. It was a Tuesday and I was at rugby training when I heard the news. We would have been 3rd tier at the time and we went on to win promotion that season. The following pre-season would have been the pre-season friendly I mentioned above.

Time zones and being in a 4th world country. I found out at about 7.30 pm local time.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 29 Jan 2010 13:55

Terminal Boardom
Franchise FC
Terminal Boardom The towers came down in 2001. It was a Tuesday and I was at rugby training when I heard the news. We would have been 3rd tier at the time and we went on to win promotion that season. The following pre-season would have been the pre-season friendly I mentioned above.

Time zones and being in a 4th world country. I found out at about 7.30 pm local time.

Where were you?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Jan 2010 13:57

Sounds like Wales!

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Jan 2010 16:24

Terminal Boardom
Franchise FC

:roll: to me for not even considering the possibility that you might not be in this country.

size 12

by size 12 » 29 Jan 2010 16:53

Thaumagurist*
Hoop Blah My guess would be he made reference to knocking them out of the cup and the 6-0 beating but good old Fordham got it wrong when he wrote up the article.

That sounds very likely.

I remember us getting knocked out by Villa after beating the shammers. I was struggling to remember who we played in the league cup the following season and so checked it out on soccerbase. We got knocked out by Cambridge. Great. :(

Cambridge Away! Memorable for one racist comment by a Royals fan that instantly silenced everyone in the away end, and Matthew Upson's debut?

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 29 Jan 2010 19:00

Dirk Gently Non-anorak in not remembering exactly what the score was in a game - shocker.

Shows the standard of modern journalism that there are no longer any subs to check that kind of detail.

17 posts   •   Page 1 of 1