Speculation: Bent and McSheffrey

yappy

Re: Speculation: Bent and McSheffrey

by yappy » 11 Jan 2010 20:11

Ian Royal
Hoop Blah Totally agree, if he is anywhere near the player he was 3 or 4 years ago, which he should be at his age, then he'd be a great addition to this side.

As I said in the summer, he's a decent winger who naturally chips in with a few goals. He could even do a job upfront alongside Rasiak if you ask me.

With our less than prolific striking options, a wide player who has an eye for a goal would be a top signing.

But we already have that with Sigurdsson and we already have plenty of options in central midfield. Don't get me wrong I'd love McSheffrey, but the reality is we don't have much money and left midfield is probably one of the least of our concerns.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 12 Jan 2010 09:57

And contrary to popular belief loan signings are not that cheap. Saw that article about Rosenior - they paid us a fee of £200k and if they sign him permanently at the end we get the same amount; that is on top of his wages which are likely to be in the region of £15-20k. Getting him off the books therefore amounted to a saving in the region of £1.2million or so.

Royal_Delight
Location: In Madejski's Mansion counting the fans' season ticket money

by Royal_Delight » 12 Jan 2010 10:20

Don't think we have a chance of signing these players on loan. Wages would be probably a problem for JM. We defo need to sell before we can buy/loan.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 12 Jan 2010 10:26

I would like to see McSheffrey as I think he and Jobi would be one hell of a double act. Whether SJM can remember the pin code to his accounts is another matter and this is why it is 99% unlikely.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Jan 2010 12:19

yappy
Ian Royal
Hoop Blah Totally agree, if he is anywhere near the player he was 3 or 4 years ago, which he should be at his age, then he'd be a great addition to this side.

As I said in the summer, he's a decent winger who naturally chips in with a few goals. He could even do a job upfront alongside Rasiak if you ask me.

With our less than prolific striking options, a wide player who has an eye for a goal would be a top signing.

But we already have that with Sigurdsson and we already have plenty of options in central midfield. Don't get me wrong I'd love McSheffrey, but the reality is we don't have much money and left midfield is probably one of the least of our concerns.

Disagree totally, Sig is doing well, but doesn't offer nearly as much wide as centrally and he always seems to cut inside. Sig should be playing in the middle. McSheffrey could allow that.

yappy

by yappy » 12 Jan 2010 13:15

But its not priority is it. Sigurdsson is doing a great job on the wing. Maybe he could offer more in the middle but then your talking about choosing just one out of Cisse, Karacan, Matejovsky, Howard, Tabb and Gunnarsson (and possibly Davies, depending on what happens when his loan expires).

We don't have a lot of money and we already have a wealth of options in midfield. The few pennies we do have remaining need to be spent wisely on positions that need heavily strengthening, and I don't think our midfield is the problem.

Comfortably Numb

by Comfortably Numb » 12 Jan 2010 13:21

McSheffrey is wanted at Sheffield United. I wouldn't hold your breath on him coming here.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 12 Jan 2010 13:23

yappy But its not priority is it. Sigurdsson is doing a great job on the wing. Maybe he could offer more in the middle but then your talking about choosing just one out of Cisse, Karacan, Matejovsky, Howard, Tabb and Gunnarsson (and possibly Davies, depending on what happens when his loan expires).

We don't have a lot of money and we already have a wealth of options in midfield. The few pennies we do have remaining need to be spent wisely on positions that need heavily strengthening, and I don't think our midfield is the problem.

If our midfield was so good would we really be in the shit? The midfield is the engine room and quite frankly, we have been spluttering like an old 2-stroke moped. We have some good individuals but I don't recall too many games where our midfield has run the show.

Comfortably Numb

by Comfortably Numb » 12 Jan 2010 13:26

Terminal Boardom
yappy But its not priority is it. Sigurdsson is doing a great job on the wing. Maybe he could offer more in the middle but then your talking about choosing just one out of Cisse, Karacan, Matejovsky, Howard, Tabb and Gunnarsson (and possibly Davies, depending on what happens when his loan expires).

If our midfield was so good would we really be in the shit? The midfield is the engine room and quite frankly, we have been spluttering like an old 2-stroke moped. We have some good individuals but I don't recall too many games where our midfield has run the show.

I agree to a point, but it's the strikers, or lack of that has been our greatest problem this season.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 12 Jan 2010 14:07

Comfortably Numb
Terminal Boardom

I agree to a point, but it's the strikers, or lack of that has been our greatest problem this season.

Huh? Defensively we have been inept. The midfield has been ineffective and up front? Well, if you dont create chances then it makes no difference who plays up front. Look at the second half of last season. The strikers weren't the problem. Geting the ball to them was.

Normally, to improve a team, you start by making the defence as strong as possible. Stop conceding and you stop losing. Sort out the defensive aspects then start to move forward. Our lack of goals this season is NOT the major problem you obviously think it is.

Comfortably Numb

by Comfortably Numb » 12 Jan 2010 14:19

Building from the back is key. But we have made plenty of chances this season. You review our season as such that we have barely created a chance, when in fact we just haven't been able to put the chances away on a consistant enough basis. If you look at the squad, there's some balance there, and some very good players. We're just a couple of additions short, and one or two leaders (Griffin being one), and this I feel is a decent looking side again. I do want to see another striker though.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Jan 2010 17:10

To be perfectly honest if I was in charge I'd flog Matejovsky for anthing approaching £1m or higher, Gunnarsson wouldn't be at the club still and Cisse would only be considered for defence unless it's an emergency, which leaves a much easier choice of Howard, Karacan or Tabb. Tabb or Karacan for the better teams, Howard for the weaker teams.

If Davies is back permanently then I'd still be inclined to have Sig in the middle, with Davies right and McAnuff left. Or Davies as cover for McAnuff with a new left winger.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Jan 2010 17:13

Terminal Boardom
Comfortably Numb
Terminal Boardom If our midfield was so good would we really be in the shit? The midfield is the engine room and quite frankly, we have been spluttering like an old 2-stroke moped. We have some good individuals but I don't recall too many games where our midfield has run the show.

Huh? Defensively we have been inept. The midfield has been ineffective and up front? Well, if you dont create chances then it makes no difference who plays up front. Look at the second half of last season. The strikers weren't the problem. Geting the ball to them was.

Normally, to improve a team, you start by making the defence as strong as possible. Stop conceding and you stop losing. Sort out the defensive aspects then start to move forward. Our lack of goals this season is NOT the major problem you obviously think it is.

Last season the problem was supply to the strikers and a weak midfield. This season it's a slightly porous and scared midfield, with a sieve like defence and toothless attack. We're generally creating plenty of chances. At least since QPR.

Right back was a priority. striker was and may still remain a priority. then you have wide players who canchip in with goals and possibly an experienced centreback with pace for me.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 12 Jan 2010 17:30

I'd take McSheffrey

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 29 Jan 2010 17:00

McSheffrey gone to Leeds on loan til the end of the season.

Cant help but think we missed a trick there, quality player.

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 29 Jan 2010 17:39

Focher McSheffrey gone to Leeds on loan til the end of the season.

Leeds allegedly "awash with cash" (5 Live), looked nailed on certs for promotion, historically bigger club, great team spirit, party times...

Or us.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 29 Jan 2010 17:39

Focher McSheffrey gone to Leeds on loan til the end of the season.

Suprised he's dropped down 2 divisions! Leeds are a decent side yes, and they beat United in the cup but there League form has been pretty poor of late.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 29 Jan 2010 19:51

Think this shows we won't be doing any more action in the market.

CAnt see how McSheffrey wouldnt be perfect for us.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Jan 2010 08:24

Probably because we are in the market for a striker. Creating chances is not a problem, scoring them is.......

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 30 Jan 2010 11:16

There are strikers avaliable.