Alex Pearce - New Contract until 2013

Is Alex Pearce the future of Reading FC's defence?

Without question.
12%
Absolutely not.
26%
I need to see more of him.
26%
Probably, but I'd rather he wasn't.
16%
Probably, and I'm glad he is!
20%

Total votes: 76
Comfortably Numb

Re: Alex Pearce - New Contract until 2013

by Comfortably Numb » 12 Feb 2010 11:23

Hoop Blah
Comfortably Numb Pearce has been built up a lot this season, mainly by BR, and people in the game seem to rate him a lot higher than we do. A new longer contract just increases his value further, so we can't lose.

...apart from having to pay him for the duration of that contract of course.

I still think that he's worth keeping on and having in the squad, but there is of course a cost associated to that so it's not a no lose situation.

because he's on high wages? :lol: behave woman.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Feb 2010 11:29

He won't be on massive wages no, but we are committing to paying him for an extra couple of seasons...that is a cost and a loss in your no lose situation!

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 12 Feb 2010 11:31

Value for money is what it's all about - If Pearce is on a reasonable wage then the risk is minimal.

Comfortably Numb

by Comfortably Numb » 12 Feb 2010 11:34

Hoop Blah He won't be on massive wages no, but we are committing to paying him for an extra couple of seasons...that is a cost and a loss in your no lose situation!

are you at work? are you sat on hobnob? are you giving your company value for money? Oh I see now. :wink:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Feb 2010 11:52

Comfortably Numb
Hoop Blah He won't be on massive wages no, but we are committing to paying him for an extra couple of seasons...that is a cost and a loss in your no lose situation!

are you at work? are you sat on hobnob? are you giving your company value for money? Oh I see now. :wink:

I doubt anyone is out there trying to suggest that employing me was a no lose decision though!

I think it's totally the correct decision to give him a new contract, but there is obivously a 'loss' assoctiated to it for the club, despite what you seem to think.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 12 Feb 2010 11:55

Hoop Blah
Comfortably Numb

I doubt anyone is out there trying to suggest that employing me was a no lose decision though!

I think it's totally the correct decision to give him a new contract, but there is obivously a 'loss' assoctiated to it for the club, despite what you seem to think.

Given that we have to employ some centrebacks extending Pearce's deal is probably the cheapest realistic option. So on that absis there is no 'loss' becasue all the other options are either unacceptable or more expensive.

donface
Hob Nob Regular
Location: doing favours for some guys who look like tusken raiders

by donface » 12 Feb 2010 12:08

Comfortably Numb Kissmahwilly.

:snoop:

midfield diamond

by midfield diamond » 12 Feb 2010 12:19

Forbury Lion Value for money is what it's all about - If Pearce is on a reasonable wage then the risk is minimal.

Agreed. He's a cheap reserve who might come good (but I personally doubt it). If he doesn't shape up then we might just get a small fee from someone else for him.

johnnym

by johnnym » 12 Feb 2010 12:25

Not good enough at the mo, but young enough to improve....shouldn't be at Reading to do that though, but we need the numbers.

Next season if he's not doing it in pre-season it should be a season long loan to a lower div club.

danke

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Feb 2010 12:29

Sun Tzu Makes sense to keep him under contract. He can still be allowed to leave if we decide we have better options but keeps us in control.

We do have to look to next season though as if Ivar leaves we would be extremely thin on the ground at centre back (unless you take the comedy route and include Cisse as a long term option).

What's comedy about that? He's put in some of his best performances at centreback, describes himself as a defender and played in defence for Boavista a fair bit whilst there.

Comfortably Numb

by Comfortably Numb » 12 Feb 2010 12:33

donface
Comfortably Numb Kissmahwilly.

:snoop:

Thaumagurist*
Comfortably Numb
Archie's penalty Mills is a quality player and it's a shame he will be out for three games.

never fear, kissmahwilly will come in and pick up where mills left off

Moron.

It's simple. His name is spelt as Zurab Khizanishvili. Simply remember that the middle part of his name is like "danish" and add the Khiz and vili on either side.

Still :lol:

ellpryjon

by ellpryjon » 12 Feb 2010 13:24

Post of the day.

Cookie

by Cookie » 12 Feb 2010 15:11

The boy's full of shit.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 12 Feb 2010 15:21

Ian Royal
Sun Tzu Makes sense to keep him under contract. He can still be allowed to leave if we decide we have better options but keeps us in control.

We do have to look to next season though as if Ivar leaves we would be extremely thin on the ground at centre back (unless you take the comedy route and include Cisse as a long term option).

What's comedy about that? He's put in some of his best performances at centreback, describes himself as a defender and played in defence for Boavista a fair bit whilst there.

He's had a couple of decent games there as a stop gap for us but clearly he's not considered by anyone as a credible option in defence.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 12 Feb 2010 15:32

Or anywhere else as a regular starter.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 12 Feb 2010 15:53

Centre backs mature a lot slower than attacking players. They reach a peak at around 28 so he still has 7 years to do that. The only sensible answer is that we need to see more of him.

There are too many idiots on here who write players off after one game.

Some were saying Griffin was awful after one match - now he is a hero.

The truth is that Pearce has played a lot of league games for a young player already. He will definitely be Championship level but whether he makes the grade at PL level is a different matter - the jury is out.

Obviously a very sensible move to sign him up for the long term. If we get promoted to the PL we can always loan him out to a Championship club to get more experience. There will be no shortage of takers.

Gandalf Presley

by Gandalf Presley » 12 Feb 2010 16:30

Must admit some surprise at the comments made thus far - must remember I only log on from time to time. Personally, I think Pearce has potential. Being quick is an advantage but if he can learn to read the game better, he could easily be good enough for the higher echelons of the Championship.

Don't forget, he is still relatively young. For those who are old enough, how may would have thought that the likes of Adie Williams, Scott Taylor & Archie Lovell would prove to be the fulcrum of the great team from the mid 90's. if truth be told, I thought they were all shite at first...

fester_royal

by fester_royal » 12 Feb 2010 16:35

i think the ingredients are there, they just need putting together the right way (much like a lot of our squad members). he's strong, organised and in some games hes read the game quite well. the thing is his passing isnt particularly impressive and he's as slow as a sloth in an armourd suit :roll: but these are aspects that can easily be changed. if the right coach sees hes not athletic and his passing needs work in time, then it will change. the problem is.. no one has seemed to notice!!
maybe another few months of consistant first team football out on loan :?:

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 12 Feb 2010 16:46

Focher Bad move by the club if we have aspirations of the premier league.

A basic immobile defender who can't pass. I will never criticise the bloke for effort, ability to tackle and ability in the air, but the fact HMS Ark Royal could turn him and he will never have that natural ability like Bikey or Dovecheck to make up for it , then the verdict is will never make above this league.

Correct. Even I could turn Alex Pearce. One of the s-l-o-w-e-s-t players I have ever seen. Hicksy was cheetah-like compared to this twunt.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 12 Feb 2010 17:27

Gandalf Presley Must admit some surprise at the comments made thus far - must remember I only log on from time to time. Personally, I think Pearce has potential. Being quick is an advantage but if he can learn to read the game better, he could easily be good enough for the higher echelons of the Championship.

Don't forget, he is still relatively young. For those who are old enough, how may would have thought that the likes of Adie Williams, Scott Taylor & Archie Lovell would prove to be the fulcrum of the great team from the mid 90's. if truth be told, I thought they were all shite at first...

as well as most on here thinking that ivar, murts, marcus, doyle, brynjar, hunt, etc werent good enough for prem after all playing one of the most amazing seasons ever played.

theres just no telling, but he looks decent at least, will look better alongside a quick CB in a settled partnership and can always imprve, so on low wages its nearly a no lose.
and if we get a decent fee when he is sold then it could be no loss whatsoever long term