Back from the game - Blackpool

121 posts
PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Back from the game - Blackpool

by PieEater » 20 Feb 2010 19:18

But staying over.

Well that was dire, from the moment we started the team looked like they didn't want to be there. I can't think of one player that had a good game. Special mention must go to Howard who was utterly dire and I can't remember one pass or tackle he managed to make yet still avoided getting subbed. The team as a whole seem unable to pass the ball, tackle, or shoot. We had to wait until injury time for the first shot on target and close to the end for any attempt on goal at all. Their keeper can't of had an easier game.

OK we'd played on Wednesday and it was a long trip, but we just had no appetite at all to get anything from this game. You could moan about the pitch but Blackpool managed to know it around. The two goals came from the only bit of quality play in the game, for the first it was a couple of good passes and a good touch to deflect the ball into the goal past Feb. Maybe Mills went to sleep and should of made it harder but it was a quality delivery. For the second Bertand just stood off Baptiste until he managed to spot the unmarked Adams who picked his spot in the corner, ironically after the only spell of pressure we managed to produce.

The only claim for injustice was the homer ref not sending off the guy who did a two footed jump tackle on Gunnar (who then had to go off), IMHO a definite red and despite the protestations he got away with a yellow. Had he gone there would have been a different result.

Strange substitutions from McD, he should have taken off Howard and put on Tabb after going 4-4-2.

What worried me was that we looked either dead beat or complacent after beating Palace, and now we have another Wednesday game coming up before a 6 pointer v Sheffield Wednesday next Saturday.
Last edited by PieEater on 20 Feb 2010 19:38, edited 1 time in total.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the game - Blackpool

by Muskrat » 20 Feb 2010 19:30

Yeah it's a worry we're looking a bit jaded after playing Saturday and then Wednesday and then Saturday again and then having another Wednesday game followed by Saturday's game against Wednesday. Errr, I think...

Slinky
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Slinky » 20 Feb 2010 19:47

back home and it was rubbish.

Positives first, Mills was very good and we'd have probably lost by more without him!

Negatives: It was plainly an off day as we were second to every ball, consistently gave the ball away, didn't cross, didn't shoot & didn;t seem to have any idea of something creative to break down a Blackpool side that were poor but very much up for the game. Missed opportunity on our part.

McAnuff made me chuckle late in the game when a 'fan' abused him and he turned round to the said fan and said "so you think you;re a better footballer, fukcing pri(c)k" fair response by McAnuff, can;t say i liek to hear fans directly abuse any one player.....it was collective rubbish (except Mills) and no particular persons fault!

Oh and as per PieEaters comments, Keith Southern's tackle was a clear 2 footed lunge and deserved a red card, you could see he was scared and thought it was going to be red then ref gave the yellow!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 20 Feb 2010 20:21

I don't agree with players being singled out, but for McAnuff to take his eye off the ball (so to speak) and answer a fan back shows a bit of a lack of professionalism in my book, not to mention concentration.

We're bound to have blips and I didn't expect a result from this game, but it sounds like no-one from RFC really turned up today and that's unforgiveable really - 500+ fans made the effort and spent the money to watch the team, the least they could do was give it a go. :evil:

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 20 Feb 2010 20:38

Slinky McAnuff made me chuckle late in the game when a 'fan' abused him and he turned round to the said fan and said "so you think you;re a better footballer, fukcing pri(c)k" fair response by McAnuff, can;t say i liek to hear fans directly abuse any one player.....it was collective rubbish (except Mills) and no particular persons fault!

Not really. McAnuff is paid handsomely because he is alleged to be a top level footballer. Asking a rhetorical questions back just proves that McAnuff clearly missed the point.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 20 Feb 2010 20:52

I have answered back to fans/officials many times playing sport and often played better for it.

Fair play to Macanuff and I wish more players did it :lol: :wink:

(I wasn't at the game so I shall leave those that were to it, sorry, couldn't resist!)

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 20 Feb 2010 21:26

Slinky McAnuff made me chuckle late in the game when a 'fan' abused him and he turned round to the said fan and said "so you think you;re a better footballer, fukcing pri(c)k" fair response by McAnuff, can;t say i liek to hear fans directly abuse any one player....

I'm quite happy to stick my head above the parapet and say that fan was me. What I said to him was "it's f*ckin simple, Jobi, f*ckin basics", after he'd stood offside for at least 2 seconds while waiting for a Bertrand pass, and after his response I said "it's f*ckin simple, look along the line, get back onside". He'd run the ball into the area, tried to take his man on, played it back to Bertrand, and then just stood there as the Blackpool defence pushed up by 2-3 yards leaving him offside. He then received the pass when the minutest bit of awareness would have had him shouting "hold it" and/or pushing into an onside position as quickly as possible. Instead he just stood there.

Interesting use of the inverted comma's there as well. My comments were not just abuse towards an individual, they were frustrated words directed at an individual after a basic error in a game littered with basic errors. Is a fan not able to criticise when something as lazy, frustrating and simple as Jobi's offside happens? Or do we just let it go and shout "unlucky" or "better luck next time"? That individual instance between him and Bertrand was woeful, and it summed up the performance as a whole. I didn't hear hear him say "so you think you're a better footballer", and then apparently insult me. Clearly I'm not a better player otherwise I'd be playing for a better club than Reading :| If he did say that (and I'm sceptical as to whether he did or not anyway, given he directed his comments straight at me) then my immediate answer would be that I'd have shown more awareness than he showed in that instance. To be caught offside in such a promising position, in the situation we found ourselves, is one of the most frustrating things a footballer can do.

Woeful performance, deserved defeat.

Allyh84

by Allyh84 » 20 Feb 2010 21:30

Not too worried anymore, but we do have waaaaay too many of these days where not one pass is completed/too many miscued tackles/wayward shots etc. I didn't see it but it sounds that way, too farmiliar for this season. :evil:

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 20 Feb 2010 21:41

Oh, and Keith Southern's challenge on Bryn was exactly the sort of challenge that FIFA are trying to stamp out. Two-footed, off the floor, irrelevant as to whether he won the ball or not, he should have been shown the red. The one big decision the referee had to make, and he got it wrong. Southern then went on to have an excellent game. Annoyance factor 20.

Slinky
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Slinky » 20 Feb 2010 21:41

handbags_harris
Slinky McAnuff made me chuckle late in the game when a 'fan' abused him and he turned round to the said fan and said "so you think you;re a better footballer, fukcing pri(c)k" fair response by McAnuff, can;t say i liek to hear fans directly abuse any one player....

I'm quite happy to stick my head above the parapet and say that fan was me. What I said to him was "it's f*ckin simple, Jobi, f*ckin basics", after he'd stood offside for at least 2 seconds while waiting for a Bertrand pass, and after his response I said "it's f*ckin simple, look along the line, get back onside". He'd run the ball into the area, tried to take his man on, played it back to Bertrand, and then just stood there as the Blackpool defence pushed up by 2-3 yards leaving him offside. He then received the pass when the minutest bit of awareness would have had him shouting "hold it" and/or pushing into an onside position as quickly as possible. Instead he just stood there.

Interesting use of the inverted comma's there as well. My comments were not just abuse towards an individual, they were frustrated words directed at an individual after a basic error in a game littered with basic errors. Is a fan not able to criticise when something as lazy, frustrating and simple as Jobi's offside happens? Or do we just let it go and shout "unlucky" or "better luck next time"? That individual instance between him and Bertrand was woeful, and it summed up the performance as a whole. I didn't hear hear him say "so you think you're a better footballer", and then apparently insult me. Clearly I'm not a better player otherwise I'd be playing for a better club than Reading :| If he did say that (and I'm sceptical as to whether he did or not anyway, given he directed his comments straight at me) then my immediate answer would be that I'd have shown more awareness than he showed in that instance. To be caught offside in such a promising position, in the situation we found ourselves, is one of the most frustrating things a footballer can do.

Fair play for owning up but on the flip side we were all frustrated and no other fans directed abuse directly at one player when you knew they could clearly hear! Agreed it was a woeful bit of play in which the basics of football were totally ignored but it was hardly the only example of basics not being applied.

He clearly did say what i quoted him as saying as he was right in front of me when he said it - what did you think he said then?

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 20 Feb 2010 21:52

Slinky
handbags_harris

Fair play for owning up but on the flip side we were all frustrated and no other fans directed abuse directly at one player when you knew they could clearly hear! Agreed it was a woeful bit of play in which the basics of football were totally ignored but it was hardly the only example of basics not being applied.

He clearly did say what i quoted him as saying as he was right in front of me when he said it - what did you think he said then?

I saw him turn his head and say "you what?" in the direction of me, although he didn't know who it was until I responded back. I didn't hear the rest, he turned his head back to the direction he was trotting off to. I actually think that for him to have a go at me when I've paid my hard-earned to watch the likes of him play and then offer criticism (note criticism, not abuse) when I see something that is miles below the standards I expect of even the worst professional footballer is a bit out of order, but to insult me into the bargain? A little bit of criticism leads to the insult retort? The least he could have done was insult me so I could hear it.

We may all have been frustrated, but I didn't see anybody urging the players on or anybody berating simple errors. 2-0 down, a good attack ends in a basic infringement, frustration wented on a player who has set himself high standards before Christmas. He may not have liked it, but was it me or did he actually work somewhat harder in those last five minutes? My eyes may have been deceiving me, but I thought he did.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 20 Feb 2010 21:54

handbags_harris

What did he say to you, out of interest?

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 20 Feb 2010 21:55

Maguire What did he say to you, out of interest?

See my post above yours.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 20 Feb 2010 22:11

Cheers. Am generally of the opinion that footballers should be able to turn a deaf ear to abuse from the crowd, let alone football-based criticism. Maybe he was having a bad day and he knew it.

You should milk it like a proper victim, would probably end up in the Reading Post with a photo of McAnuff giving you a signed shirt or something :wink:

Wide and Wonderful
Location: I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal.

by Wide and Wonderful » 20 Feb 2010 22:16

From the reports of those that travelled up today it sounds like we didn't apply ourselves today.

I'm always suspicious of poor performances before important cup games - players don't want to run out of steam or miss out on playing in important cup games - look at the dire performance at Plymouth before the first liverpool game.

The players probably had one eye on the West Brom game.........

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 20 Feb 2010 22:18

Jerry St Clair
Slinky McAnuff made me chuckle late in the game when a 'fan' abused him and he turned round to the said fan and said "so you think you;re a better footballer, fukcing pri(c)k" fair response by McAnuff, can;t say i liek to hear fans directly abuse any one player.....it was collective rubbish (except Mills) and no particular persons fault!

Not really. McAnuff is paid handsomely because he is alleged to be a top level footballer. Asking a rhetorical questions back just proves that McAnuff clearly missed the point.

+1

Moronic from a professional footballer.

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 20 Feb 2010 22:30

mcanuff gets paid thousands of pounds a week to play football and take some abuse, but thats like every footballer!! i wouldnt mind getting thousands of pounds a week for a whole stadium giving me abuse!!

its a bit like someone saying your shit at your job so why cant you say that to mcanuff, seeming he is getting lots of money from it

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 20 Feb 2010 22:31

I wouldn't call what Handbags shouted "abuse" anyway. There is abuse and there is criticism. The latter is valid, the former is not. We all have to accept constructive criticism - which I think pointing out that he could easily avoided finding himself offside constitutes.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 20 Feb 2010 22:32

madreadingfan mcanuff gets paid thousands of pounds a week to play football and take some abuse, but thats like every footballer!! i wouldnt mind getting thousands of pounds a week for a whole stadium giving me abuse!!

its a bit like someone saying your shit at your job so why cant you say that to mcanuff, seeming he is getting lots of money from it
if someone said "I was shit at my job" ...I would probably deck them

Glad to hear that Jobi has some passion

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 20 Feb 2010 22:34

AthleticoSpizz
madreadingfan mcanuff gets paid thousands of pounds a week to play football and take some abuse, but thats like every footballer!! i wouldnt mind getting thousands of pounds a week for a whole stadium giving me abuse!!

if someone said "I was shit at my job" ...I would probably deck them

Glad to hear that Jobi has some passion

:lol: good customer service there lol

121 posts