Back from the game - Blackpool

121 posts
Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from the game - Blackpool

by Royalee » 21 Feb 2010 23:22

How people can get on McAnuff's back after one poor game when he's been in our top three best players this season with Bertrand and Sigurdsson is beyond me.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Feb 2010 23:37

Royalee How people can get on McAnuff's back after one poor game when he's been in our top three best players this season with Bertrand and Sigurdsson is beyond me.

well there's his ridiculous facial grooming for a start

Bubbly4Me

by Bubbly4Me » 22 Feb 2010 08:38

Worst game I've seen for a while, for sure.

Have to say though, although the numbers were good, our support was shocking. If the players were complacent after our good run, the crowd were more so. We just sat there awaiting our first goal. It never came, so we never sang. Even on the few occasions we did raise our voices (mainly at corners) it died out really fast. It's not like the weather was bad either - we got a lovely day compared to anyone else that's gone there recently.

Maybe if we'd got behind the players a bit we'd have got some kind of response from them? We could, and should, have drowned out the few hundred vocal Blackpool supporters. I wish I had the bottle to try and start some chants going; it would have been like Ashton Gate earlier this season! Unfortunatley, I bottle out and will accept as much blame as anyone else.

It was nice to see a lot of encouragment for Kebe though in the 2nd half. A few people round me were really trying to get him going :)

On the 'abuse' subject... I think HH was more than justified to critisize Jobi. A promissing attack was completely wasted by a basic error. (And all I heard in response was "You what?" a couple of times).

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 22 Feb 2010 08:54

Bubbly4Me
On the 'abuse' subject... I think HH was more than justified to critisize Jobi. A promissing attack was completely wasted by a basic error. (And all I heard in response was "You what?" a couple of times).

I was on my feet calling him an idiot, but by far the worst culprit in the idiot stakes was Howard. Everytime he had players making runs around him looking for a pass he just hung on to the ball too long then got tackled. He had a shocker.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 22 Feb 2010 09:31

i was sat with Handbags and can confirm his said words, and all McAnuff said was 'you what?' as far as i was concerned.

Gr8 nite out, a fight in every bar we went to :lol:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 22 Feb 2010 09:56

Royalee How people can get on McAnuff's back after one poor game when he's been in our top three best players this season with Bertrand and Sigurdsson is beyond me.

disagree with anyone getting on players backs full stop.
but to suggest mcanuff has only had the one bad game is a bit myopic

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 22 Feb 2010 10:12

Handbags joust with McAnuff should be taken with a pinch of salt, though I am sure he would have applied the appropriate verbal lashing if Southern`s tackle was as bad as everyone says.
This result was on the cards. No one should underestimate the determination of a Holloway team to prevent the opposition from playing, then seeking to dominate with a muscular and ugly approach.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 22 Feb 2010 11:03

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 26 Jun 2010 02:07, edited 1 time in total.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Feb 2010 12:57

Southbank Old Boy
sandman
Royal Lady I suppose those who are bemoaning HH's comments would also prefer that the crowd don't shout "man on" etc or berate the ref when he blatently makes a mistake - after all, it's not for us to comment. :roll:

As both suggested actions are pointless, yes. Is the ref going to say yeah your right I'm wrong penalty? Shouting man on just makes player's tense up and they invariably lose the ball by playing a rushed pass.

Lets all agree to disagree and let the people that were actually at the game comment on it.

Have you ever been to places like The Den, Bramall Lane, Ninian Park, Old Trafford, Anfield? The fans there put a bit of pressure on the ref to make decisions in their teams favour. Getting on the back of a ref isnt pointless, even if it wont change the decision your berating him for, it might help a bit here or there in the long run

Shouting man on shouldnt make any difference really because his teammates should be telling him exactly the same thing. As for it making a player tense up, your grasp of how the game is played is laughable pal :roll:

HH is well within his rights to pull Jobi up on sloppy play like he did, and its certainly no abuse. Jobi shouldnt react in the way he did, but shit happens in the heat of the moment and it was probably more frustration boiling over from him because of the shit performance

I've seen players on many occasions rush a pass when the crowd shouts man on so don't tell me it doesn't happen because I've seen it with my own eyes Pal. Like you say he should already know that there's is a player trying to challenge him because his team mate has told him so again shouting man on is what?

My original stance on the McAnuff incident still stands. He knows what he's done wrong and the game isn't going well he doesn't need a fan telling him something he already knows.
Last edited by sandman on 23 Feb 2010 06:59, edited 2 times in total.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 22 Feb 2010 13:11

Must have been me then because he has not looked interested for ages.

Federici, Mills, Griffin, Bertrand, Khizanishvili, Kebe, Church and Gunnarsson are playing better than Jobi at this time. Its time he pulled his finger out and started showing us what he is capable of!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Feb 2010 13:22

madreadingfan
sandman
Royal Lady I suppose those who are bemoaning HH's comments would also prefer that the crowd don't shout "man on" etc or berate the ref when he blatently makes a mistake - after all, it's not for us to comment. :roll:

As both suggested actions are pointless, yes. Is the ref going to say yeah your right I'm wrong penalty? Shouting man on just makes player's tense up and they invariably lose the ball by playing a rushed pass.

Lets all agree to disagree and let the people that were actually at the game comment on it.

Are you actually a supporter or just a spectator?

Supporter because I actually support my team by supporting them, as opposed to singing songs at opposition fans for 90 minutes, agonising about what other clubs fans think of us, going on and on about the ref, saying the teams sh1t and going down, writing of the new manager before a games been played and not making up stupid names like McDonut. As long as they're in that shirt I will support them.

Once again well done to Jobi for saying what he did. If someone tells me how to do my job I leave the items outside their house and tell them to do it.
Last edited by sandman on 22 Feb 2010 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 22 Feb 2010 13:36

SHORT AND CURLY

Must have been me then because he has not looked interested for ages.

Federici, Mills, Griffin, Bertrand, Khizanishvili, Kebe, Church and Gunnarsson are playing better than Jobi at this time. Its time he pulled his finger out and started showing us what he is capable of!

I don't think he's been playing as well in the last few games, but he doesn't look like he's not interested, just that he's a bit out of form.

Plenty of reasons for that, and Rodgers methods certainly seemed to have a positive effect on McAnuff as he was outstanding for him, and to be fair he continued that under McDermott initially.

You have to expect Championship players, especially wingers and creative players, to have good and bad games. They're trying to do the unexpected and the difficult task of creating. By it's nature it is difficult to get right everytime and sometimes it just doesn't go your way.

The amount of defensive work McAnuff has continued to put in would certainly tell me that he's not lost interest.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 22 Feb 2010 14:39

sandman Once again well done to Jobi for saying what he did. If someone tells me how to do my job I leave the items outside their house and tell them to do it.

Execellent customer service. Just as well times aren't tough right now.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Feb 2010 14:48

rabidbee
sandman Once again well done to Jobi for saying what he did. If someone tells me how to do my job I leave the items outside their house and tell them to do it.

Once they've bought it it's their property.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 22 Feb 2010 14:53

sandman
rabidbee

Once they've bought it it's their property.

Are you suggesting McAnuff should take that approach? :|

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Feb 2010 15:00

I suggest that Jobi say's to him "unless you can do better shut up"

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 22 Feb 2010 15:10

Oh well, as as the economy never enters a period when redundancies are hanging over everyone's heads, and companies don't have to compete harder and harder to gain what's left of a declining demand for services, you should be OK then.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 22 Feb 2010 17:17

sandman I suggest that Jobi say's to him "unless you can do better shut up"

I suggest that that would be the lamest comeback ever, and besides which footballers should remember that they are in a thoroughly privileged position to be paid so well for a job which is so damned well unimportant. Some of the laughable attempts at justifying MacAnuff having a hissy fit totally neglect the obvious detail that very few of us have people pay to watch us do our work. It is the entertainment industry; if you didn't like a stand-up comedian you'd heckle him. Aww, don't hurt the feelings of the poor wittle pampered footbawler, what a namby-pamby society we live in.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 22 Feb 2010 17:28

sandman I suggest that Jobi say's to him "unless you can do better shut up"

In the particular instance where the criticism was due, I would have at least made the effort to get back onside (which was the only reason why the criticism was dished out to him). So yes, I probably would have made a better fist of that particular job in that circumstance.

In reality, comparing your line of work with McAnuff's is a bit of a red herring really. A professional footballer, by nature of the job, opens himself to criticism (and praise) by entering an arena populated by people who have paid to watch him and his team-mates. In Jobi's case, it's 16k Reading fans every couple of weeks. He could be criticised by thousands of people at any one moment, and there are times when an individual's criticism would be heard whether intended or not. His manager, coach, or fellow players may also criticise at the same time. You do not have to be a better player than McAnuff to see something that is wrong. The fact that I am a worse player than him is not relevant to the argument whatsoever really.

And you're telling me that if you were a kitche fitter, and someone said that they weren't happy with the kitchen you've fitted, that you'd say "do it yourself?". Everyone leaves themselves open to criticism every time they take on a job, whatever it is they do. To suggest that your work is not open to criticism (in other words, perfect every time) strikes me as though it's the work of someone living on Fantasy Island.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 22 Feb 2010 17:38

Handbags, just FYI, I saw thunderbird 57312 'The Hood' at Euston yesterday afternoon.

121 posts